PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix Announces FF Tactics for PSP and Another New FFT Game

Crossblades
12-13-2006, 05:30 PM
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1595.html

Only one day after announcing Dragon Quest IX for Nintendo's DS, Square Enix also showed some love to Sony Computer Entertainment's handheld platform, PlayStation Portable. The company today announced plans to bring its classic strategy RPG Final Fantasy Tactics to the system. Titled Final Fantasy Tactics: Shishi Sensou (The Lion Wars), the portable version will offer several exclusive features, such as new jobs and new movie sequences. Square Enix is utilizing cel-shading to create these new movies sequences.
Final Fantasy Tactics: Shishi Sensou has yet to receive an official release date in Japan.

Together with Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings for DS, the Final Fantasy Tactics remake is part of what Square Enix refers to as the "Ivalice Alliance". In addition to the two aforementioned titles, a third game titled Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Fuuketsu no Grimoire is also in development, but Square Enix has yet to provide any details regarding this title.

LunarWeaver
12-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Oh my, that's interesting :jess:. All this portable love, and I don't own either one. Here's to hoping for a new translation that contains more yummy and less crappy for the original Tactics. Hire Alexander Smith, please :grover:.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Some (http://img156.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=15704_FFT_PSP_2006_12_13_122_383lo.jpg) scans (http://img120.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=15528_up157532_122_342lo.jpg). The new job revealed in the first one is FFIII's Onion Swordsman.
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Fuuketsu no Grimoire is also in development, but Square Enix has yet to provide any details regarding this title.But it sort of goes without saying that it'll be released for the DS and be related in some way to FFTA.

Elpizo
12-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Too bad I can't see those scans. Anyway, portable love FTW. I never really got into the original tactics, but I enjoyed FFTA. I still think a Tactics game would have been awesome on DS, but, we DS owners can't complain, can we? III DS, CC RoF, XII RW and DQ IX. Still, A2 seems to be a sequel to a Nintendo GBA game, so it's fully possible for it to be on DS. Hmm... Maybe I'll pick up a PSP or so, if the tactics port turn out to be well worth buying. And then I won't have to miss out any games on any of the two systems I would like. Crisis Core looks good, too, so that are 2 games that might make me consider this more...

EDIT: 10 against 1 that people will go complaining that they are milking the Tactics series. ;)

EDIT (again): I saw the scan somewhere else. Not bad at all! But I'm also worried. Square is working on many games at the same time, announcing big fancy titles and all, I just hope the quality will be just as great... OF course, they ahve different teams working on different games and all, but still...

Crossblades
12-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Some (http://img156.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=15704_FFT_PSP_2006_12_13_122_383lo.jpg) scans (http://img120.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=15528_up157532_122_342lo.jpg). The new job revealed in the first one is FFIII's Onion Swordsman.

Kawaii, scans don't work:(

Elpizo
12-13-2006, 08:36 PM

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Elpizo/Commics/ffta8323kv8ma8.jpg
There you go. ;)

Crossblades
12-13-2006, 08:37 PM

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Elpizo/Commics/ffta8323kv8ma8.jpg
There you go. ;)

Thank you:) And ignore that PM I sent you:p

Laddy
12-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Oooh, coolio! Can't wait! Yay, I now appreiciate my PSP and DS more!

Crossblades
12-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Here's the other scan Kawaii was talking about, though it doesn't show much

http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/psp/fftactics/scan2.jpg

Zeromus_X
12-14-2006, 02:13 AM
*prays for new translation*

Jowy
12-14-2006, 08:11 AM
But what if we want to summon Rich, fight Lune Knights, and bury people with Steady Sword!

Yeah, I'm hoping for a better localization myself. ;D

Wolf Kanno
12-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Why did it have to be released on the PSP:cry:

Is a FFT port and MGS:PO really worth the price of owning an evil soul sucking machine like the PSP?

Who am I kidding, hell yeah! Just the idea of a possible relocalized FFT is worth it.;)

LazarCotoron
12-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Even *I* have to admit I would consider owning a PSP for a re-localized version of FFT, Sony angst, rage against UMD, and all.

Wild0ne
12-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Yeah if that game is released in america im getting a PSP..I was thinking about getting one for D&D tactics, but if FFT comes to it, ill buy both at the same time... The GBA couldn't take the same graphics and style the PS1 had, and FFTA pretty much was a lame game compared to the original..I am still waiting for a real sequel, and this seems to be it!!

feioncastor
12-15-2006, 12:46 AM
I didn't buy a GBA until FFTA was announced, and I didn't buy a DS until rumors of FFIII surfaced, so this news will prompt me to buy a PSP. I doubt I'll play any other games on it... Actually, I'll probably get GTA:Vice City Stories. I loved GTA:VC, so I think owning a PSP may not be such a bad idea.

VeloZer0
12-15-2006, 01:49 AM
Unfortunately I can't stand playing games on portable systems so another game being released on portable just makes me a little sadder on the inside.

Nothing wrong with Tactics on PSP, but I realy would have liked the next new one to come out for console.

MogThief
12-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Yay! Two more FFT games are going to come out. I knew they would work on the development one day. FFT was too good to not have a sequel/prequel. I can't wait.

VengefulRonin
12-16-2006, 06:01 AM
I have one fear about Tactics being put on the PSP: people will get it expecting it to be all easy like TA was, but then they'll find out the game is actually pretty challenging and never bother to finish it. Personally i'd rather have a PSP for Crisis Core, but i'll never buy a PSP anyway cuz i never play handhelds anymore.

There's such a huge difference between Tactics and TA...Tactics is mature, challenging, has a great story, and TA is pretty much the complete opposite of Tactics. Not to say TA was a bad game, because standing alone as a strategy game is was good, but compared to other FFs its crap. It shouldnt have been called a Final Fantasy in the first place >_< I'm scared that the second TA will be just as big of a letdown to the FF name.

Elpizo
12-16-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm confident the second TA will live up to the FF name just as much as the original TA. The game doesn't deserve all the hate and bashing it has been getting, just because T was so-called better. I have a fear that if TA was made like a second T people would have bashed it for being a direct Sequel and messing up the story, or for cloning FFT. ^^"

Anyway, TA definitly deserves the FF name for giving FF the most realistical story ever, something I strongly loved.

But it's my opinion, and you guy's. Just wanted to add something in the defense of FFTA. Carry on with the hapiness for FFT to the PSP and finally getting that long awaited remake (or remake-ish port?). :)

PSP looks tempting now... <_<

LunarWeaver
12-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Without Matsuno's involvement, I doubt the new Tactics game will be much like the original. It will probably once again be about kids in a petting zoo or whatever was going on with Advance. Though I like Advance actually and didn't think it was all that bad. Kind of FFX-2 in the respect of making you go "Well, this is polar opposite of what was going on the first one...that's, uh, unique," but what can ya do.

I don't think I'd have the patience to play the original Tactics without exploiting the JP Glitch anyway, which I'm assuming they are going to remove :hahaha:. Yeah, I'm impatient like that. I don't have 150 hours to spill just to get my ninja job and skills and all that hoo-ha.

jj984jj
12-16-2006, 09:24 PM
I dunno where to post this, but S-E has confirmed that the new game will be for DS at the Jump Festa event.

Crossblades
12-17-2006, 03:13 AM
I dunno where to post this, but S-E has confirmed that the new game will be for DS at the Jump Festa event.

Do you have a link that proves this?

jj984jj
12-17-2006, 04:18 AM

Do you have a link that proves this?

Various Japanese blogs are reporting the exact same thing and a few forum posters who attended the event. The reason why there isn't any big sites reporting it yet is because there is nothing at the event about the game, S-E just decided to clear up the platform. So there are no official links.

Shotgunnova
12-17-2006, 11:13 AM
I love FFT in my heart of hearts, and this is the kind of news I've waited years upon years for, but the prospect of buying a PSP just for a remake is less than appealing. Hopefully there'll be a console port of some sort in the future, because Sony's handheld doesn't have the most stellar lineup of games. At least ones right up my alley.

Well, FFXII allayed my fears some and didn't completely screw up Ivalice, so I guess I'll hold out and hope the port doesn't defecate on the bricks already layed. <finger-cross>

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Shaky-cam footage (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155954) of the Jump Festa trailer.

The new cut scenes appear to do justice to the original sprite-based scenes, and there seems to be full voice-acting, as well. I'm feelin' it.

ShunNakamura
12-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Shaky-cam footage (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155954) of the Jump Festa trailer.

The new cut scenes appear to do justice to the original sprite-based scenes, and there seems to be full voice-acting, as well. I'm feelin' it.
I definately must agree with you :D.

Crappy doodles though... I so want to play that but I have a large adversion for portable systems.... gah!

Lich3636
12-19-2006, 07:42 AM
hazzah a actual game i will play on my psp for more than a hour before getting sick of it. finally glad i kept my psp when i got my ds

LazarCotoron
12-19-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm all for more Tactics.

It's too bad the remake is going to be for the PSP-I have an aversion to the PSP, considering we're walking into three years of PSP and there are now three games that make me think I might want a PSP. And it really is too bad-it looks like they've gone into the concept art and pulled what they could to create animated models from that unique illustration style. When Sony caves and puts out a UMD reader for the PS3 about the time FFXV is coming out, we'll talk more.

And I hafta agree with Elpizo. FFTA does not deserve the bashing people give it. It's a good game. It has a VERY different flavor from the original FFT, and it does something that I can't forgive it, but it is a good game. FFTA2 sounds like a title that I'll be snagging for my DS when it hits.

VengefulRonin
12-19-2006, 10:27 PM
I'm all for more Tactics.

It's too bad the remake is going to be for the PSP-I have an aversion to the PSP, considering we're walking into three years of PSP and there are now three games that make me think I might want a PSP. And it really is too bad-it looks like they've gone into the concept art and pulled what they could to create animated models from that unique illustration style. When Sony caves and puts out a UMD reader for the PS3 about the time FFXV is coming out, we'll talk more.

And I hafta agree with Elpizo. FFTA does not deserve the bashing people give it. It's a good game. It has a VERY different flavor from the original FFT, and it does something that I can't forgive it, but it is a good game. FFTA2 sounds like a title that I'll be snagging for my DS when it hits.

Yeah, i dont know why they decided on the PSP, its not a very successful piece of hardware. It would have made alot more sense to put it on the PS2.

I agree fully that TA is a very good game, i just dont think it should have been called a FF because the storyline was pretty kiddy and always threw environmentalist messages into sidequests and crap. But then again, its sure more of a FF than X-2 was <.<

LazarCotoron
12-20-2006, 01:20 AM
I can sum up my feelings of FFTA in a very simple way.

I hate Marche.

His character isn't so bad, and is even appropriate. What he decides he's trying to do pretty much killed it for me because I would never even consider doing what he decides he's going to do. It's sorta' hard when your motivations are the polar opposite of your characters.

The game is great, though. One day, I do know I will suck it up and finish it because the game itself deserves that, and the storyline is very creepy when you actually read between the lines a bit.

Wolf Kanno
12-20-2006, 06:06 AM
I don't quite understand how it's considered a "Kiddy game" cause people can't die? Big deal:rolleyes2 I find it's story to be very disturbing, a child trying to run away from his life and reality. A magic book grants him this wish and he tries to have his friend, who's trying to help him break free from his delusions, be killed for helping him. Doesn't sound like a kiddy game to me.

I think it came down to people wanting to have a direct sequel to FFT. That's why FFTA wasn't well recieved.

VengefulRonin
12-20-2006, 06:17 AM
Actually i hadnt even considered people's inability to die, i kinda forgot about that. I was thinking more along the lines of it being rated E and revolving around kids and there being jobs such as "stop the poachers!" and "save the trees!" I do hope TA2 has less silly envirnmentalist things in it and wont have a stupid kid saying "ya know, this world is awesome and i'm so much stronger in it, but i think i'll end it and go back home where i'm not cool and my brother is a cripple." God he was STUPID for that >_<

Wolf Kanno
12-20-2006, 07:21 AM
and wont have a stupid kid saying "ya know, this world is awesome and i'm so much stronger in it, but i think i'll end it and go back home where i'm not cool and my brother is a cripple. At the cost of my best friends sanity" God he was STUPID for that >_<:p

He's a realist. I think Marche doesn't like the idea of people running from their problems and that is what everyone was really doing in the game. It's better to come to terms with a problem so it makes you stronger as a person; rather than to ignore it and pretend like it's not their. The whole story has Marche getting every character to confront their personal demons and learn to overcome them. Ask Skyblade sometime. He has a much more fleshed out explanation. But at the end of the day... yeah he was stupid for that.;)

VengefulRonin
12-20-2006, 07:28 AM
I think i'd be a LOT more happy if i was trapped in some book world where i could run around with a sword and make friends with giant lizards than if i had to confront my problem and beat it. If you were in a world like that you really wouldnt even need to run from the problem because it would already be solved: you're in a different world, problem went byebye. Stupid realist marche wanted to take them out of the fun, non-trouble world back to the world with their problems so they could overcome them and get who knows what out of it. Certainly not a sword or a lizard as a friend.

Wolf Kanno
12-20-2006, 07:39 AM
God knows I agree with you, but I guess the writer's were trying to use the story as an allegory to real people who do nothing more than spend time playing videogames or other "supposedly" antisocial forms of entertainment:rolleyes2 . It was about those people who spend more time running away from their problems in general than just these characters specifically.

It also goes back into the horrible debate of whether or not FFTA's "Ivalice" is even real or just an illusion the book created from the children's own desires. If it was real, I would say Marche was definetly out of line. If it was an illusion then he was justified cause the kids were in what would be closely thought of as a "magic induced coma" in which point everything going on in the world is irrelevant and the kids are only falling into a greater level of self delusion caused by their inability to accept reality.

In all respects for the forum though, we should probably continue this debate in the FFTA forums. Though I believe their was a thread for this topic...

LazarCotoron
12-20-2006, 07:43 AM
In all respects for the forum though, we should probably continue this debate in the FFTA forums. Though I believe their was a thread for this topic...

There's not one yet but there's about to be!

Roto13
12-20-2006, 03:20 PM
People can die in TA. In the Jagds.

Wolf Kanno
12-21-2006, 04:56 AM
That's true, but it's not as much as a time constraint on you like FFT was. As long as you revive the character before the fight was over it wasn't a big deal. Instead of the 3 round rule.

Roto13
12-22-2006, 03:02 AM
That's to improve gameplay mechanics. Now you don't lose fifty hours of work on a character if he dies at the beginning of a fight and you don't revive him.

ShunNakamura
12-22-2006, 03:23 AM
That's to improve gameplay mechanics. Now you don't lose fifty hours of work on a character if he dies at the beginning of a fight and you don't revive him.

Actually I think that would weaken the mechanics. No longer do you need to utilize as much strategy.

There were many things one could do if a character died early. In one battle I had reflect mail on someone who died and had no phenix downs. Rather than being a restart(the guy died[a crit hit on a 10% accuracy attack, just before my cure went off... gah] just before his second turn). I just kicked it up a notch and focused everything on the objective(defeat, whoever it was) managed to take him out before my guy crystalized. There are also just about limitless ways to resurect someone as well. You got the Monk, the Chemist, the Preist, Multiple equipment(Chantage and Angel Ring), etc. There really is no reason someone should stay dead for more than three turns unless it is ramza after he has yelled 30 some times and gets 10-20 turns for one of everyone elses.

*shrug* I don't have much trouble with it. I have only lost people when I first started playing(and not even too many then) and when I am goofing around trying to get a good file(such as stealing the genji equipment and learning Ultima in the same battle, or the Worker 7 battle needed a couple trys til I got the hang of it).

Roto13
12-22-2006, 03:29 AM
I hated it. There was one mission near the beginning that kept screwing me up in that regard.

Zeromus_X
12-22-2006, 03:30 AM
Now you don't lose fifty hours of work on a character if he dies at the beginning of a fight and you don't revive him.

I don't like having to soft reset every time one of my people dies and I can't revive them in time. Yes, this is a definite improvement to the imbalanced battle system of the first FFT (among other improvements).

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-22-2006, 03:59 AM
It wasn't imbalanced. Like Naka said, it was just another strategic aspect to consider. I'm not surprised they took it out of Tactics Advance, though, since the battle system was dumbed down overall.

Elemental Alchemist
12-22-2006, 06:20 AM
Returning to the thread's point, I really would consider owning a psp in order to play FFT. AND I would play it for hours on end trying to get my summoner/whatever else I feel like using. AND I'd love every single second it consumes from my time.

Tatics Master
12-28-2006, 02:17 AM
Wow...I just found out about this! But now I'm wondering about certain things. Is it a sequel or just a game to further explain the "Lion War"? And how much can that little PSP fit data wise on that disc? Will it be as long as the original? And why isn't this hitting the PS2 or PS3 systems? That just makes no sense. Think of all the money there passing up because everyone dosen't own a PSP. I don't want to buy one just so I can play 1 game. :mad2: But maybe, maybe:confused: I will for Tactics.

lufia
12-28-2006, 11:37 AM
the psp is just a port with nice extras. can't wait for both of these to come out.

Thane
12-28-2006, 04:53 PM
I am glad I got an DS, I love the tactics battle system. But I hope it isn't like FFTA.

Wolf Kanno
12-29-2006, 12:20 AM
Maybe if we're lucky, SE will do what Rockstar did and port the game to the PS2 after awhile... (that and I hope Konami would do it for MGS:PO:cry: )

Demon Lancer
12-29-2006, 06:06 PM
fft, one of my favorites the music is awsome, I was expecting a remake though i expected it would ahve been on the ds with some touch screen movitizing, a shame i don't have a PSP

People can die in TA. In the Jagds. Yes a beutiful day when Montblanc the anooying moogle died because i forgot he was dead... I wish my inner gamer had just let him die instead of making me do the fight, i hate montblanc

jj984jj
12-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Maybe if we're lucky, SE will do what Rockstar did and port the game to the PS2 after awhile... (that and I hope Konami would do it for MGS:PO:cry: )

That wouldn't make sense since the game is already on PS1, the only thing they are remaking is the CG cut-scenes, the graphics are the same. They are adding a few jobs as well but they won't release the game on PS2 because of a few measly extras.

Wolf Kanno
12-30-2006, 11:45 PM
If the demand is there they will do it. It's just common buisness sense. Besides, they could add it to that PS1 FF anthology they've been hinting about for the last few years. Though it's probably just a rumors.

Holy Lancer
01-01-2007, 08:02 PM
http://au.psp.ign.com/articles/750/750839p1.html

Ughhhhh no, no. Here come the nightmares. One of the only reasons I bought a PSP is bcause they were making Final Fantasy games for it and I hate Tactics! (I'm going to buy it anyways). I'd be satisfied if they remade any of the I-X for PSP. I would've liked a version of XII on it. At least there's some activity going on but I want more! Not Tactics! How about they make an updated version of IX or X? I'm going to go cry in my room now and lock the door.

Crossblades
01-02-2007, 04:40 PM
New Propaganda

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/fftpsp/propaganda/fftpsppropaganda122106-1.html

Holy Lancer
01-03-2007, 06:42 AM
Anybody know when this is coming out?

lufia
01-04-2007, 08:49 AM
it is to be annouce, so the release date isn't set yet. even the jap version is tba. expect it to come out in 2008 for the english version.

No Crown King
01-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Oh man, that is so awesome! I've been waiting for like 10 years for this O_O!!

jj984jj
01-07-2007, 01:16 AM
Oh man, that is so awesome! I've been waiting for like 10 years for this O_O!!

Did you sell your PS1 version or something? Or is FFT on the go that important to you.

Omni-Odin
01-09-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm really angry that so many people want all these games to be remade. Tactics is a priceless gem that should never have to be remade.

Why all the hustle and bustle about it?

Go buy it online. It's already available.....on the PS1!

Angi-Kaiser
01-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Yeah, but the ability to play it on the go makes it worth it.

Maxico
01-10-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm really angry that so many people want all these games to be remade. Tactics is a priceless gem that should never have to be remade.

Why all the hustle and bustle about it?

Go buy it online. It's already available.....on the PS1!

It was never released in Europe.

Therefore I assume that there are alot of people who would appreciate a reigon free version of the game.

I personally would quite like to see what all the fuss is about.