PDA

View Full Version : Spike TV's Video Game Awards

The Fat Bioware Nerd
12-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Hey did you guys watch the video game awards last night on Spike TV? I did I guess it was a good show except I didn't like the cast of Reno 911 being there I wish those idiots weren't on the show.

I also didn't like that female comedian who said "If you guys play video games and you're over 15 you need to kill yourself." That pissed me off and I thought to myself if that's the best joke she can come up with she needs to kill herself because that's not funny.

JKTrix
12-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Sarah Silverman is a funny lady, but her style of comedy wasn't appropriate for that event. She does the whole 'it's funny because it's offensive' thing, but it just didn't work in that setting. She was actually booed off the stage. Gphoria was the best, but it's too bad that it kinda fizzled out...

edczxcvbnm
12-14-2006, 03:23 PM
What is next? The MTV Video Game Music Awards?

Bunny
12-14-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm pretty sure Sarah Silverman's husband plays video games.

I refuse to watch video game awards shows. I dislike predictability above all else and I can pretty much tell you who will win the catagory the second I see all of the nominations.

It isn't a talent. It's called "duuuuuuuuh"

Roto13
12-14-2006, 03:54 PM
Ugh. Hell no. The Spike TV Video Game Awards are a total joke.

JKTrix
12-14-2006, 04:11 PM
I wasn't planning on watching it, but I was happy after finishing Zelda and said 'meh, I'll watch the last 15 minutes'. The production itself was kind of awkward, though Sam Jackson is still cool regardless of the surroundings.

Laddy
12-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Spike TV isn't for gamers, it's for perverted 35-year old dorks who don't play anything else besides Action, Shooters, Sports, and GTA. :( They aren't gamers, they are idiots. Besieds, the show itself has the stupidest awards that span four genres.

Araciel
12-14-2006, 11:00 PM
yah i was warned off watching it so much that i didn't bother. i heard oblivion won game of the year so that's all that matters!

LunarWeaver
12-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Spike TV isn't for gamers, it's for perverted 35-year old dorks who don't play anything else besides Action, Shooters, Sports, and GTA. :( They aren't gamers, they are idiots. Besieds, the show itself has the stupidest awards that span four genres.

This is just as bad as people who call others a dork for playing RPGs. Why would you say someone who has that taste in games and is over 30 is a perverted dork idiot? Action and sports games = idiot? I think gamers are stereotyped enough without us doing it to ourselves based on genre love, ya know :(

And I watched the first Spiked TV Game Awards and thought it was awful and I can't be bothered to try it again. It was more about throwing boobs and confetti everywhere when a winner was announced than games.

Laddy
12-14-2006, 11:18 PM
I know, just how they handle games... nothing games and horrid games are getting huge attention, this was mainly a bad taste joke. Yes, it's no doubt offensive, and I was expecting this.

1) don't mean it like that for gamers in general, I'm talking about probably what SPike TV's "gamers" are. So, don't take offense, I'm not talking to Spike TV's audience. The games that win awards are usually the usual, lack of deep games, and everyone I know who watches Spike TV and consider themselves "gamers" act like that. Most of them are redneck kids I met in High School. Lastly, playing those games dosen't make you a "perverted 35-year old." It just so happens that is what Spike TV is aiming for it's audience by it's look, I watch Spike TV for two reasons: MXC and Star Trek Reruns. So, I said it, that is what Spike is aiming for, that is probably who makes up about 15% of the audeince. So, half joke.

2) I totally agree, gamers who play RPG's are geeks, some MAY be geeks, but just playing RPG's is not geeky.

Sorry, not to the topic:

Video Game Award Schedule:

-Call out nothing game.
-Play a metal or rap song that is completely out of place.
-Have some annoying celebrity accept the award.
-Moe on with more half-naked women and GTA clones.

P.S.
Try to act like we know what we're talking about. Remember, are game choices suck, and they usually lack the good games because of the only people who we think are watching this must play a chosen set of games. So, games, they are part of our "Spike" lifestyle.

-Spike's Boss

Also, some award things are just dumb.

Eample:

Game Of The Year-Madden 2005, makes a little sense.
Best Sports- Tony Hawk Underground?

Most Addictive- Soul Calibur II
Best Fighting- Smakedown: Shut Your Mouth?

You see, isdiotic flaws in awards!

LunarWeaver
12-14-2006, 11:40 PM
I do understand what you're saying, don't get me wrong. But you still are majorily generalizing. The award show isn't equal at all. They give the award to what they "think" the audience wants to see, and so we get lots of SMACKDOWN games and nothing like Final Fantasy XII is gonna be game of the year or anything.

But on the other hand, c'mon. You're classifying those people as not being "real gamers". A gamer is someone who plays a game because they enjoy it, be it Gran Turismo, Tetris, or Zelda. I play mostly RPGs and don't play any sports games whatsoever at all. I'm still a gamer, but someone who does the reverse is not? Spike TV may be trying too hard for the cool image, but that doesn't make the games that are in there "not real games". It's not the action gamer's fault that Spike is retarded, so I think you should lighten up on them :eek:

Shoeberto
12-14-2006, 11:42 PM
Spike's VGAs are a total joke.

Laddy
12-15-2006, 01:03 AM
I do understand what you're saying, don't get me wrong. But you still are majorily generalizing. The award show isn't equal at all. They give the award to what they "think" the audience wants to see, and so we get lots of SMACKDOWN games and nothing like Final Fantasy XII is gonna be game of the year or anything.

But on the other hand, c'mon. You're classifying those people as not being "real gamers". A gamer is someone who plays a game because they enjoy it, be it Gran Turismo, Tetris, or Zelda. I play mostly RPGs and don't play any sports games whatsoever at all. I'm still a gamer, but someone who does the reverse is not? Spike TV may be trying too hard for the cool image, but that doesn't make the games that are in there "not real games". It's not the action gamer's fault that Spike is retarded, so I think you should lighten up on them :eek:

A real gamer is devoted, has the ability to respect the industry and know what's going on, they devote themselves, they understand the beauty and creativity of a video game. That, my friends, is a true gamer. Partially, I was referring to people of what the audeince think would want to see, which is of their mind perverted 35-year olds, it was pointed at the creators, not the viewers at all.

JKTrix
12-15-2006, 12:35 PM
-Moe on with more half-naked women and GTA clones.

I don't think you realize how accurate your typo really is. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_(slang))

Bunny
12-15-2006, 12:41 PM

A real gamer is devoted, has the ability to respect the industry and know what's going on, they devote themselves, they understand the beauty and creativity of a video game. That, my friends, is a true gamer. Partially, I was referring to people of what the audeince think would want to see, which is of their mind perverted 35-year olds, it was pointed at the creators, not the viewers at all.

So by your defintion I am not a "true" gamer, despite the fact that I have actively been playing games since before I could talk (RPGs, mind you) and still continue to do so on a consistent basis almost 18-to-19 years later.

I can't even wrap my head around the rest of your post. It's pretty outrageous and ludicrous.

Ashley Schovitz
12-17-2006, 05:14 AM
Wasn't that show awful is was practically this http://fanboys-online.com//comics/20061211.png They just gave of the good awards to Oblivion and Gears of War, no mention to Resistance Fall of Man and KH II only one best supporting female for Rachel Leigh Cook as Tifa. FF XII didn't win anything either and the whole awards show tried tto be funny when it wasn't. Is there any other decent VGA show on TV?

Shoeberto
12-17-2006, 05:21 AM
Is there any other decent VGA show on TV?
No.

Anything that is going to be televised is going to be pumped up with XTREME crap to appeal to the younger crowds, which generally means throwing out any and all credibility. The emphasis on tits is inversly proportional to emphasis on quality for these kinds of things.