PDA

View Full Version : Sony continues it's trend of crappy backwards compatibility [video]

Roto13
12-14-2006, 10:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoCD9TwLrVs

Jowy
12-14-2006, 10:56 PM
They're just proving Maddox right more and more.

LunarWeaver
12-14-2006, 10:57 PM
It does look worse, but I'm just glad it has it at all I guess. *gets popcorn and waits for Dreddz*

Ryth
12-14-2006, 10:57 PM
:thumb: More reason for me not to like the PS3.

*eats popcorn with Lunar waiting for the same thing*

Dreddz
12-14-2006, 10:58 PM
I was taking the video seriously until It was apparant that it was made by an Xbox fanboy who is taking it out on Sony to make himself feel better.

An issue like this should of sparked a bigger outcry by now, I wanna see real deal proof of this issue. As far as Im concerned, its 50/50 whether this guy is showing us all the truth, or simply editing the video.

To put it this way, could you believe a guy, forks out 600 big ones to later post videos showing hate towards the console and starts loving the other. Bit fishy if you ask me.

And for the record, if this was a problem, it could easily be sorted out in later updates so I wouldnt worry too much...

edczxcvbnm
12-14-2006, 11:14 PM
Sony sure does suck. I bought myself a 360 and can't wait to pick of Gears of War and play Halo 2 online in better faster quality!

I don't think the video was really altered because there is no point in doing so but I also have a hard time believing that it could really be that bad when they put the PS2 hardware in the PS3...but then again it is sony. If it was going to be this :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty then they should have done like microsoft and released patches to run games over the course of the year. 360 now has a very good portion of the library running if not most all of it by now and it is only one year in the system life span. I think they hit all major titles as well.

Sony just sucks.

Dreddz
12-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Sony sure does suck. I bought myself a 360 and can't wait to pick of Gears of War and play Halo 2 online in better faster quality!

Microsoft have dealt with backwards compatability the worst out of all three consoles. Fact.

edczxcvbnm
12-14-2006, 11:19 PM
I think they have dealt with it the best. The whole library will eventually get done and they actually use the power of the current system to make the games run smoother and at a higher frame rate.

Dreddz
12-14-2006, 11:26 PM
I think they have dealt with it the best. The whole library will eventually get done and they actually use the power of the current system to make the games run smoother and at a higher frame rate.

Both Sony and Microsoft are dealing with it pretty bad this generation. You can pick one over the other, but the PS2 showed how it should be done.

MecaKane
12-14-2006, 11:35 PM
That's pretty :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty, yes.
But where's the proof that Sony refuses to put out a firmware update? They could be working on the problem right now, asshole. Whine, whine, whine.

Shoeberto
12-14-2006, 11:41 PM
But where's the proof that Sony refuses to put out a firmware update?
Where was the claim made that they weren't? They just said that it could be fixed in a firmware update (which I saw today is in the works).

This really just further proves that Sony hasn't learned from their mistakes about QA before shipping the final product.

The Shoeless Hobo
12-15-2006, 12:04 AM
360 now has a very good portion of the library running if not most all of it by now and it is only one year in the system life span.

I still can't play my Evil Dead games on my 360. :(

Madame Adequate
12-15-2006, 03:48 AM
All I can think of is that I really, really miss FFX. :(

Edit: Yeah this is BS though get it fixed Sony, now.

MecaKane
12-15-2006, 04:10 AM
But where's the proof that Sony refuses to put out a firmware update?
Where was the claim made that they weren't? They just said that it could be fixed in a firmware update (which I saw today is in the works).
The video, right before the FFX intro part. D:~

Khaotic
12-15-2006, 04:31 AM
Reason I didn't buy one when it first got released. Anyone who threw their $600.00 to get it, I laugh at you.

Also, there was some continuation video about some guy making a joke on how "who would buy a PS3 to play PS2/1 games" -- well, its quite common sense, who would want to stack a PS2/1 and a PS3 near eachother, let alone switching cords or simply having more cords behind the tv causing a fire hazard when you can play all the games on one system. Thats why someone would want to play PS2/1 games on PS3.

For the record, I'm no fan boy of any system, I simply look at the facts of each and decide. I've been buying PS1/2 games for years, I haven't touched a nintendo product since Nintendo 64, but this year, Wii simply wins.

RiseToFall
12-15-2006, 06:52 AM
Some of you need to relax, the system just came out, I'm sure updates will be made.

-If this is indeed true.

JKTrix
12-15-2006, 12:51 PM
The backwards compatibility (for any of the systems really) wasn't so much of a selling point for me, just a convenience. It's too bad that the consumers are so demanding that they want everything to work, right now, because it forces these companies to rush out their products in order to stay 'in-demand'. Microsoft rushed their product to be out a year earlier, Sony rushed the PS3 because their die-hards probably would have nuked their HQ had it not been released on time. (I can imagine the Europeans may be plotting to do this as we speak (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/13/sony-to-further-delay-european-ps3-release/)) The result is similar problems with the backwards compatibility, as well as whatever technical/hardware glitches there are with the systems themselves.

Edit: Looks like MS updated their backwards compatibility list
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

Psychonauts! Indigo Prophecy! Soul Calibur 2! Shenmue 2! Looks like I finished Zelda just in time to go back to some old faves.

Slothy
12-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Assuming this is in fact true, then I have to wonder why any of you care that much. Odds are it will be fixed long before the console even hits one million sold. Seriously, I could see being annoyed with this if it were going to be stuck like this for the life of the console, but the fact is that despite the problems with the PS3 backwards compatability, it still works for the vast majority of games to my knowledge (more than Microsoft could say at launch) and most if not all of the problems are minor, and fixable. Sony's already committed themselves to getting backwards compatability working smoothly as soon as possible. In the mean time, most of us don't even have PS3's, and even if I did, I'd still have my PS2 handy.

KentaRawr!
12-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Maybe I just bought a PS2 too late, but I don't see how this continues a trend. The PS2's backwards compatibility seemed fine.

Anyway, about the video... It certainly is disappointing that its B.C. isn't all that good. Of course, updates are likely to come in the future that will fix this problem. Something about the video I wish they would have included would be a PSX game running on it. And maybe something in-game, rather than a cut-scene. I'd like to know if it's actually noticable whilst playing. o.o

escobert
12-16-2006, 11:51 AM
So yeah there was a update that fixed this about the time you made this thread xD