PDA

View Full Version : stealing

yeti2
12-15-2006, 05:06 PM
has anyone got any tips on stealing, is it true you have a better chance of stealing an item when your spirit is higher?
becuase im trying to do a perfect game and i want to steal the mythril sword from beatrix, i know you can buy it from treno very soon but i really wanted to try and get it now
and this also goes for the demons mail from the book guy and eikos flute from hiligigars
its just so frustrating!!!!!!!!:mad2:

WOW! omg ive just done it ive stolen the mythril sword for the very first time ! yes!!

Did anyone else ever steal it

TheSpoonyBard
12-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Steal is worked out like this.

A: Random MOD (Level + Spirit)
B: Random MOD (Enemy's level)

If A > B, the Steal will succeed. If you equip Bandit, Steal will always succeed.

If the Steal is successful, it then chooses which item you'll get. There are four options.

Rare: 1/256
Semi-rare: 16/256
Uncommon: 64/256
Common: 256/256

It runs through from top to bottom, and you'll get whichever item is in the slot which is successful. If it stops on a slot for which there is no item or you have already stolen it, you'll get nothing. Master Thief increases Rare and Semi-rare to 32/256 and ignores all the empty slots.

The Mythril Sword, Fairy Flute and Demon's Mail are some of the Rare items, and the 1/256 chance of getting them is what makes them so frustrating.

Adapted from http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/final_fantasy_ix_mech.txt

Vivisteiner
12-15-2006, 06:02 PM
Stealing is wrong.

lufia
12-15-2006, 06:34 PM
with bandit it is not 'always' succeed. the rates just improved a bit only.

TheSpoonyBard
12-15-2006, 06:42 PM
With Bandit equipped the A value is set to be larger than B. The second stage of the calculations could still cause the Steal attempt to fail.