PDA

View Full Version : Make me up, dahling

Xander
12-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Hm, this thread is about make-up.

I find it kinda interesting how guys, generally, (I know there are exceptions :p) don't wear make up, aren't expected to wear make up, can look totally hot *without* makeup... though girls are kinda expected to/mostly do/ are expected to at least look better with it.

I was just wondering your thoughts..

Girls - do you wear make up? If so, how much? Do you wear full foundation and stuff? (I always wondered how many people actually wear all that). Do you wear it all the time or on special occasions? How do you feel with/without it?

Guys - do you expect girls to wear make up? Do you like to see makeup on girls or does it just depend? Do you think girls can look fine without any make up, or do you think they should wear it to present themselves best?

I generally wear a bit, mascara and recently a bit of eyeliner, but I don't even think it suits me that much...though I guess I've got used to it and if I don't wear any I feel like I'm being lazy or will look "rough" xD Though the past couple of days I just really couldn't be bothered and didn't, and I felt like I looked fine.... half of me would love to just never wear any again ever because you know, if a guy can do that, why shouldn't a girl? Plus I'm lazy, and want a simple fuss free life. xD

Interested to get your opinions :)

sephirothishere
12-15-2006, 09:18 PM
i do expect girls to wear make up..but i prefer the chicks that look like meguhbabes even without makeup...its never nice to wake up next to someone you thought was hot but then their face ends up lookin like some kinda of witch slash old hag......

Quindiana Jones
12-15-2006, 09:20 PM
Some girls look fine without. Some girls look better with a bit. No girl looks good with it piled on. YEAH SARAH COLLINS YOU HAIRY SLAG!

Shauna
I don't wear make up. Once, these girls in my Biology class said that I should put on make up, and they offered to do it for me. They only put on mascara and blush before they gave up, because it didn't make a difference on me. xD I laughed~

Xander
Why should a girl look like a witch slash old hag without makeup, but a guy wouldn't ? >_> Or I guess you mean the make up can make less pretty people pretty? I guess I think the honesty of natural beauty would be a nice refreshing thing to see. I don't think you should be waking up to someone just cos you thought they were hot anyway, but that's another matter!

Chloe.
12-15-2006, 09:22 PM
I sometimes wear make-up, but it's usually eyeshadow, mascara, eyliner or lipgloss/lipstick. :bigsmile: But I don't wear too much because then it starts looking horrible. :bigsmile:

Rye
12-15-2006, 09:23 PM
I wear make-up. Usually just cover-up and some eyeliner and mascara too, but sometimes I'll add eyeshadow.. Lately I've been just wearing cover-up and mascara, because I'm too lazy to wear more.

Polaris
12-15-2006, 09:24 PM
I wear make up all the time! Rimel, eyeliner or if I don't put eyeliner I use eye shadow and in the end lipstick (red, pink or brown) I hate to wear without make up, I can walka round with lighly make up but no make up is just suicide! :eek:

sephirothishere
12-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Or I guess you mean the make up can make less pretty people pretty?

yeh..and sometimes its unpleasant to find out that shes actually ugly without makeup...ya know what i mean???but i prefer natural beauty too...a bit of eyemakeup never did any harm though...jus made chicks sexy...

Zeldy
12-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Girls - do you wear make up? If so, how much? Do you wear full foundation and stuff? (I always wondered how many people actually wear all that). Do you wear it all the time or on special occasions? How do you feel with/without it?

I wont go to the bottom shop without Makeup. I wear a fair amount, I don't shovel it on. I wear an Ivory Foundation, Blusher, eyeshadow, liquid and pencil eyeliner and mascara. Sometimes lipstick or lipgloss.

I wear it all the time, much to the annoyance of my school. I do tone it down for school a tad, ;D the eyeshadow is green and my eyeliner is tamed.

I feel wrecked without, its not just to make me look better but its a MENTAL thing too.

Ryth
12-15-2006, 09:31 PM
I generally prefer a natural look on women. A little isn't horrible if done well, but I tend to like them without the 'goop' on their face. :p

Jowy
12-15-2006, 09:31 PM
I think girls look fine without makeup. Once in a while though, some lip gloss and eyeliner could be pretty damn hot.

Xander
12-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Yeah I agree with the mental feeling, like more presented and stuff. I just wish I was a guy because I hate being girly ;__; Since I am a girl I feel like I should wear it, OH the dilemma.

yumi
12-15-2006, 09:36 PM
During the day I go for a more natural look mainly because putting on lots of make is far too time consuming and I prefer to have a lay in. When I go out though I like to experiment with my make up especially the eye make up. Lots of clashing colours!

:kaoyatta:

Reles
12-15-2006, 09:57 PM
I do not wear makeup and I think I look better without any on.

Levian
12-15-2006, 09:59 PM
I prefer it when girls don't use make-up or just use a teeny tiny bit, 'cause then I can go OMG when they do wear it. They would only spoil me if they used it all the time. But yeah, girls are different and should use whatever suits their look.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
12-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Well, I wear some eyeliner sometimes. I've stopped for like a week and I'm thinking of stopping completely. Everyone says I look so much better without it. :p

Miriel
12-15-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm waaaaay too lazy to wear makeup on a regular basis. I mean seriously. I usually wake up with just enough time to brush my teeth, jump into some clothes, and make a mad dash for class.

I think the last time I wore makeup was... I dunno maybe a week ago? Can't remember.

The only thing that I do wear on a semi-regular basis is some eyeliner and sheer liquid toner.

My mom always told me growing up that the less I wear makeup, the more special it'll be when I do. I've found that to be very true. I do clean up rather nicely when I make the effort to prettify myself.

sephirothishere
12-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Lots of clashing colours!

i saw a girl like that once...then she said 100 dollars please...

Nominus Experse
12-15-2006, 10:27 PM
I wear makeup, but not in the traditional sense, I suppose.
As for that of women wearing it, and being basically expected to wear it - it is a somewhat sad occurance. But I will say this:

When a girl applies makeup in a perfect manner, it makes her look that much better. I wouldn't call the application a needed occurance, but it can make someone who looks good even better. And I wonder if a reason that women apply it is due to the need to fit in, or compare, to those around them. There is that whlole "scene" thing or something... I don't quite understand it. Men suffer the same thing, but in a completely different and yet eerily similair fashion.

That made no sense. I need cereal.

Pike
12-15-2006, 10:52 PM
I used to wear minimal amounts of makeup, if only to cover up the pimples I get on occasion. I've sense stopped, though, because I've decided it's more effort than it's worth. So I haven't worn makeup in like a year.

Christmas
12-15-2006, 10:56 PM
Natural Beauty is the best. :bigsmile:

Quindiana Jones
12-15-2006, 10:57 PM
I dunk my face in a bucket of paint and be done with it.

Larahl
12-15-2006, 11:03 PM
It depends on the girl.
Some girls look better with make-up, and some not.
Some can go all natural, and some not.

Though I get a lot more attracted to girls with eyeliner, and lipstick.
Most of the time...

Kawaii Ryûkishi
12-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Girls can definitely look beautiful without it, and I find the ones who pack it on day after day to be pretty artificial and presumptuous. And I definitely don't want a girl wearing it if I'm going to be touching her, because having that stuff come off on your hands is just the absolute worst, son.

Shoeberto
12-15-2006, 11:10 PM
My mom always told me growing up that the less I wear makeup, the more special it'll be when I do. I've found that to be very true. I do clean up rather nicely when I make the effort to prettify myself.
Very much, yes.

When Allie was here over the summer, she asked a lady at Sears about eye makeup, and by the time she was done doing a demo on her eyes, Allie looked quite nice. But then the chick didn't stop. She kept going and going and going until it was just caked on all over her face. Do Not Want.

Some makeup is nice. Too much is bleah.

sephirothishere
12-15-2006, 11:11 PM
id definitely pick a chick thats hot without makeup over a chick htat is only average without it....

naturals ftw...

rubah
12-15-2006, 11:16 PM
I make myself up for special occasions, sometimes, but sometimes I don't. I'll wear mascara or lipstick every now and then though.

I haven't been able to find a shade of eyeshadow that suits me, which makes me :mad2:

Polaris
12-15-2006, 11:20 PM
I haven't been able to find a shade of eyeshadow that suits me, which makes me :mad2:

What are colour of ur eyes? Usually the best eyeshadows are the one that has the colour of the eyes! :D Or if ur eyes are bright u shoudl wear bright eyeshadows matching the clothes

Zeldy
12-15-2006, 11:30 PM
I make myself up for special occasions, sometimes, but sometimes I don't. I'll wear mascara or lipstick every now and then though.

Try a Brown eyeshadow, I think that might suit you.

~*~Celes~*~
12-15-2006, 11:36 PM
I usually don't wear any make up at all, except for maybe the occasional lip gloss. I'm asking for some for Christmas but might not wear it just yet. Why? Because, in Alan's exact words: "You're different from all the other girls I know...they wear make up and yeah, they look nice 'n all, but without it, they don't look so good. But you....you don't have to wear any...you're just naturally beautiful, and I love that about you."

:heart:

sephirothishere
12-15-2006, 11:52 PM
Try a Brown eyeshadow, I think that might suit you

brown only suits chicks with sallow skin...

nahh...i saw some pics of rubah in the album...she has pale skin....i think colours like purple and jade work well on those type of complexions...

Spammerman
12-15-2006, 11:53 PM
I think girls can look fine without make up, but if they chose to wear it, more power to them.

sephirothishere
12-16-2006, 12:01 AM
yeh...i was watchin opruh or some :skull::skull::skull::skull: liek that...adn it had women that wouldnt let their husbands or family see them without make up on....i laughed..hahahaha...old chicks...ewww...hahha.

Anaisa
12-16-2006, 12:05 AM
When I was about fifteen I used to put make-up on even if I wouldn't be leaving the house or seeing anybody else all day, because I felt that uncomfortable without it. Fortunately I managed to stop that silly habit. I only wear it when I go out now. I hate foundation, an try not to wear it if I can help it. I think it's gross. I don't look much different without make-up on though. Nobody would be horrified if they saw me without it. Women don't look any more ugly than men do if their not wearing make-up, it's just that they could make themselves look better with make-up, where as the men wouldn't really be improved. Most women where I live don't tend to wear any make-up, they just ply fake tan all over their faces. Beautiful.......:O_O:

Chibi Youkai
12-16-2006, 12:08 AM
I don't wear anything except on really special occasions, such as balls or formal dances. I think it's kind of a silly venture, really.

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-16-2006, 12:12 AM
I think a girl can look beautiful without make-up, there is much natural beauty to a person. I see make-up as a way for a person to enhance their own natural beauty. Like everything, it is probably best in moderation. There are some people who do not know how to put make-up on properly (not like I know how to, but you can tell at times when someone did a good job or not) thus when they do, it takes away from their beauty. Personally I see make-up as less is more kinda thing, but I guess it depends how it is done and on each individual.

Bunny
12-16-2006, 12:16 AM
I don't expect her to wear make-up because she looks perfect without it. It's optional and she knows that, but she still does it because she enjoys wearing it.

Me? I don't wear make-up. But I am fine with it. I've even offered various girls the chance to put me in some make-up. So far none of them have followed through with it. I like calling people's bluffs.

Vincent, Thunder God
12-16-2006, 01:35 AM
I think girls look great with make-up, though most look fine without it too. I don't expect a girl to wear make-up all the time, or even to wear it every day to work, school etc. And I do realize the enermous double standard between men and women; women seem to need hours of physical preparation in a week, while men can get by with much less.

Maybe this is partly because women are more self-concious and men are a bit less tidy, but still, there is much more physical maintenance for a woman (extra shaving, make-up, lipstick, hair products, etc.) than for a man, and I think some of it may seem unnecessary or tedious for a woman.

So basically, I think that women look fine without it, even though they look better with it in more formal enviroments like at parties, or during social outings.

Araciel
12-16-2006, 01:57 AM
do i expect them to? yes...girls wear makeup, it's a natural fact.

should they? i don't know. all girls tend to be beautiful in some way, and sometimes makeup accentuates it...but too much always seems to ruin it

in short, i dunno...i like some makeup to highlight what a girl has, but not a mask

as for guys wearing it...unless they are models or actors i see no reason for it...just old fashioned i guess

DarkLadyNyara
12-16-2006, 01:59 AM
I'm waaaaay too lazy to wear makeup on a regular basis. I mean seriously. I usually wake up with just enough time to brush my teeth, jump into some clothes, and make a mad dash for class.

Ditto. I almost never wear makeup, and I think most women look far better without it. In moderation, it's fine, but I find large amounts to be a turn-off.

Rusty
12-16-2006, 02:48 AM
I wear foundation and lip gloss. I don't like eyeshadow - so I don't wear it. I don't really use much make-up 'cause I don't really need it. So, might as well save my cash for something else.

Timerk
12-16-2006, 02:48 AM
When I wear make-up, it is only to look trashy.

Otherwise, pretty light with just gloss and some shadow.

Avarice-ness
12-16-2006, 03:15 AM
Just lipgloss, that's it. I don't need anything else. :)

Miriel
12-16-2006, 03:23 AM

Try a Brown eyeshadow, I think that might suit you.

Brown and other neutral tones look great with brown eyes. What I like to do is put a little sheer toner over my lids as a base and then brush on some light brown eyeshadow. Then it looks all nice and shimmer-y.

final fantasy is stinky
12-16-2006, 03:29 AM
When I was a little kid I ate a whole little tube thingy of lipstick...maybe thats why I'm like this....na:confused:

The Captain
12-16-2006, 03:50 AM
I've never been a fan of girls wearing too much makeup, frankly. I am one of those people who prefer the natural look, but of course, if a girl wants to put a little on, then I have no problem with it, but I can be quite content if she doesn't and I hope she can be too!

It's sad to me when someone feels like they cannot go a day without makeup, as if the makeup makes them more beautiful than they'd be otherwise. Makeup only makes beauty stand out more, it doesn't add to it very much. Sure, it can cover things up to an extent, but for me, I don't need picture perfect, I prefer REAL beauty.

Also, seeing as I'm an outdoors type of guy, makeup wouldn't make much sense as I'm constantly on the move and getting muddy, bruised, etc, so having to reapply makeup or any kind of product would be a huge burden. Just give me my two showers a day and I'm good to go.

Take care all.

Dr Unne
12-16-2006, 04:00 AM
I don't see the point of makeup. I've never seen someone without makeup and thought oh my, how ugly, that person should color their face up a bit. Natural is always better.

From the time I wake up to the time I walk out the door is exactly 18 minutes, counting shower time, getting dressed, brushing my teeth, shaving, combing my hair, feeding the cat, and spending 2 minutes checking my email, the news, and a couple forums before I leave for work. I couldn't survive if it took any longer than that.

Polaris
12-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Try a Brown eyeshadow, I think that might suit you

brown only suits chicks with sallow skin...

nahh...i saw some pics of rubah in the album...she has pale skin....i think colours like purple and jade work well on those type of complexions...

Not really, even with pale skin u can use brown eyeshadow BUT you must not push it to become darker! ;)

Xander
12-16-2006, 10:49 AM
I have brown eyes but if I put on dark or brown eyeshadow it always looks like I've been punched >_> Though maybe I'm just not doing it right.. I wear a bright eyeshadow when I do..I don't know if it really suits me but well I've been told it makes my eyes look big and bright before..and maybe it fits in with the rest of my style :p But I think I just still can't figure out how to apply stuff well.

It's nice to see that some guys aren't that bothered about makeup whereas a few of the comments seem somewhat shallow, but eh. I think it's good to enhance your looks but being worried for people to see you without it on... sometimes a smile is the best thing you can have to make you look more beautiful.

Quindiana Jones
12-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Xander should wear lots of black eyeshadow and whiteness on her face, then she'd look like a panda.

Loony BoB
12-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Guys - do you expect girls to wear make up? Do you like to see makeup on girls or does it just depend? Do you think girls can look fine without any make up, or do you think they should wear it to present themselves best?
I prefer girls without makeup. I find it makes them look old, fake and crinkly - for the most part, at least. I much rather the natural look. The only time a girl should wear makeup is if she's doing some kind of professional photoshoot or is on stage or something, because the lighting etc. comes into play. When you're walking around in a building or outdoors it's not so much an issue. Girls can easily look fine without makeup if they take care of themselves, and I would go further and say they look far, far better if they just take care of themselves and avoid makeup. The only makeup item I actually think makes a girl look good is mascara.

Other notable points...
1) Kissing a girl and feeling the makeup is one of the most disgusting things ever. Especially on the cheeks, but also often on the lips. We want to kiss you, feel your lips, not some film of clingy chemicals you plastered over the top of them. Even lip balm doesn't taste right.
2) Regarding crinkly skin. To those who respond with "Oh, I don't use powder, I just use this liquidy stuff that makes my skin shine!" - It looks weird to see light reflecting off your skin, you know. Shining and shimmering? Good for you. I think it makes it look like your skin is starting to melt and that's certainly not what I'd want to kiss, either. Unattractive again! Just look NATURAL. Natural skin does not reflect window patterns!

Meat Puppet
12-16-2006, 02:39 PM
I always feel weird when I am with my friends and they are wearing heavy make-up. I just can’t be myself around them when they have it on; I kind of feel like I am hanging out with a stranger. Hmm. It must be because I just get so used to seeing them without it on, so when they do have it on I have trouble recognizing them. Though I guess this is really more of a face thing than a make-up thing. It would probably be true if I was used to someone wearing make-up most of the time I see it, that I would feel more comfortable when it was wearing make-up than when it wasn’t.
Bah. :Oo:

I think.

Whatever.

Other than that, make-up doesn’t bother me. If somebody wants to wear it, then I think that somebody should go for it. I don’t find people attractive either way.

Evastio
12-16-2006, 04:31 PM
I don't expect anyone (Guy or Girl) to wear make-up. I actually discourage them to.

Chemical
12-16-2006, 04:39 PM
If you can feel the makeup or it comes off easily you're wearing really cheap makeup and you don't know how to put it on. I buy professional and expensive makeup and have spent 400$ on eyeshadows, blushes and brushes alone. Rediculous? Probably. Worth it? Deffinately.

D - Daily
F- Frequently
S- Special Occassion

1. Apply foundation using a make up spounge. I mix mine with a non-oily lotion. A foundation PREVENTS make-up from falling off your face because powder based make up needs to adhere to something. I use a nude shade that reduces redness around my cheeks. Foundation goes all over the face, on the eyelids as well. You don't need much - about a dime's worth of the good stuff. [F]

2. Powder in eyebrows. I use a small slanted brush or "crease brush" for this task. I have really light eyebrows which is great for not needing to wax all the time but a real bitch to see. Sometimes I'll have them dyed... but mostly I apply a soft bronze colour powder that compliments my hair, very light so they're there... but not like in your face there. [D]

3. Apply the highlight of the eye makeup. Usuually a white colour or a nice shimmery gold it's the lightest colour that goes under your brow. I apply this with a 5 brush. [F]

4. Apply the lid of the eye makeup. Sometimes a daring colour like teal, or a sweet colour like pink or a 'natural' colour like bronze... depending on my mood, where I'm going, what time it is. Black is a night thing and it's a nicecharcoal black so it's subdued. None of this Emo children of the night BS. Anyways. That goes on up to the crease and it's applied with a 3 brush... also adding in a hint of the same colour halfway a long the bottom of the lid for effect. [F]

5. Apply the blender of the eye makeup. A nice colour that compliments the lid makeup but is more subdued, more pastel and lighter in colour. It goes on with a smudge brush and you work it into the lider and higlight makeup for a smooth transition. [F]

6. Eyeliner is added along the edges. I use white during the day to open my eyes or a black only along the top... and black along top and bottom for the evening. [F]

7. Mascara is pretty essential to me because my eyelashes are blonde and without it I look like a cancer patient. I use black and a zig zag method that lifts and separates the lashes to avoid hideous clumping. [D]

8. Fake eyeslashes can be great fun and add a bit of a cat eye look. There's something very Audrey Hepburn about it. Applying a thin line of the eyelash glue to the base you then have to line it up with your own lash... its actually very difficult in the beginning. [S]

9. Blush is added with a 7 flat brush. A nice shimmering pink to give a gentle glow or a peach for a summer look, either way it offers something very feminen and softens the face and should be applied from back to from along the apples of the cheek. [F]

10. lipstick is applied with a lipstickbrush, not straight from the tube. That's for schmucks. Using the lip brush you dabble the lipstick on and gently work it in so your lips aren't over loaded, there's no need to have a lb of lipgloss and lipstick on. [F]

I like make up. I like dressing nice. I love high heel shoes. I love these things because I'm fond of nostalgic beauty when woman curled their hair over night and spent hours preparing and perfecting their bodies in a ritualistic manner. I'm fond of the elegance of finely applied makeup and I love the long tradition of makeup from the begining when people crushed up dyes, muds and ash and smeared it on their face. There's something civilized about its establishment and its perfection.

As Oscar Wilde had once said (To paraphrase) anything beautiful is a lie and anything that is true is ugly. Of course this isn't always the case but to me it represents a situation where I find myself thriving to build a aesthetically pleaseing enviroment and self.

I simply adore beautiful things.

Renmiri
12-16-2006, 04:46 PM
No makeup at all which at my age (over 30) is even considered "weird". I would wear a lipstick or eye liner but my husband hates it so I don't.

Having two sisters and a mom who is trying to let kids be kids, my 5 year old little boy has been through my girls "beauty parlor" every now and then. I had to stop them from playing like this, this last year though, he almost went to his kindergarten class with nail polish on :eek:

I hate to raise him and my girls on a stereotype but I was afraid he would be teased at school. Same for my girls who were burping like mini sailors and now are being taught to act "lady like" by me. I wish I could raise them in a desert island! :rolleyes2

Citizen Bleys
12-16-2006, 05:37 PM
d'accord avec BloB

Makeup makes a girl look fake...and besides which, I'm more likely to be attracted to a girl who looks either professional or like she could kick a biker's ass than someone who looks all fluffy and girly

EDIT: There's nothing wrong with belching. Tomboyish girls are more fun to hang around anyways.

Zeldy
12-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Girls don't always apply makeup to impress other people, but some people feel uncomfortable without it. I know that myself and some of my friends feel utterly wrecked without all our makeup on. Its a MENTAL thing, kay? Not just making yourself look trashy. If I ever forget foundation I worry that people can see my spots, eye bags or freckles and I become shy and uncomfortable.

Quindiana Jones
12-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Make me up, before you go go.....

~*~Celes~*~
12-17-2006, 03:46 AM
I put a bit on tonight to see how I'd look and well...Alan loves it. :) Good thing it's on my Christmas list...

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Do you think make up would make me look sexy?

aquatius
12-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Makeup is unatural and unneccessary.

~*~Celes~*~
12-17-2006, 04:17 PM

VERY :bigsmile:

Citizen Bleys
12-17-2006, 04:29 PM

Am I the only one who's thinking of the sidekick guy from Zatoichi right now?

Chemical
12-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Make up like any object can be utilized for different purposes and reasons. To make a professional impression, for one's own ego, for fun, for a lover... etc. etc.

Make up doesn't mean a girl acts a certain way. You can be the best swearing, drinking, yo ho ho wench in town and still look like a lady.

Rantz
12-17-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm not a big fan of makeup on girls. I'd prefer it if they didn't wear it, but if they want to, it's ok with me.

girls wear makeup, it's a natural fact.
:erm:

Kamiko
12-17-2006, 10:40 PM
I wear eyebrows and eyeliner and some other eyestuff generally. But if I can't get ready in 10-15 mins in the morning, I'm disappointed with myself.

Dr Unne
12-18-2006, 12:22 AM
http://campaignforrealbeauty.com/ is interesting.