PDA

View Full Version : Awww again *cry*

Eiko Guy
12-16-2006, 03:31 AM
I notice it's so cheap when they use this in movies but I love it so much.
I hate/Love when people die in movie's and book's to make a powerful ending.
Ex. Dead man's chest when jack dies I teared and then Elizabeth acted her part powerfully.
Topic when is death a powerful part of the story that you love

The Captain
12-16-2006, 03:38 AM
Who says he's dead?

It's one of the oldest and most tried and true techniques in entertainment, be it in a book, a play, a TV series or a movie. We grow attached to characters, begin to empathize with them, and then ultimately, must be confronted with the loss of them, and it almost always hits home. There are far too many examples to even begin, but when it's done right, it resonates like few other things.

Take care all.

Moon Rabbits
12-16-2006, 03:40 AM
I TOTALLY LOVE HOW YOU RUINED THE ENDING OF A MOVIE I WAS HOPING TO SEE SOON :jess::jess::jess:

Araciel
12-16-2006, 03:49 AM
yeah i tend to like when a story is starting and they kill off a couple of people who you think are going to be the heroes...that's fun...

killing someone you've grown attached to makes you empathize MORE with the ones who were attached to them in the film, it's cheap sure, but if that's the story, that's the story.

makes for SWEEEEEEEET EMOOOOOOOTION

Rusty
Jack's not dead xD There's a whole other Pirates coming out in which the gang goes to rescue him. It would make zero sense for the producers to kill of such a character who earns them millions of dollars.

Bunny
SPOILER TAG FOR SPOILERS

QUOTE TAG FOR QUOTES

URL TAG FOR ... URLS (http://www.google.com)

i don't know what this is for

Jack comes back. Everyone who has anything to do with this trilogy has confirmed the rumors. Billy Bob Thornton plays Hades!

THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS

Ouch!
12-16-2006, 03:54 AM
yeah i tend to like when a story is starting and they kill off a couple of people who you think are going to be the heroes...that's fun...
You mean like in A Song of Fire and Ice?

Araciel
12-16-2006, 03:55 AM
exactly!!! martin rulez!

TOTALLY didn't expect it it was great

LunarWeaver
12-16-2006, 04:10 AM
Gee, good thing I saw Dead Man's Chest last week.

I like it. I love to hate it when character's die. I suppose I don't mind my entertainment being sad, whereas I know many people who only watch happy-pappy movies because they can't take it.

Movie deaths always remind me of the only movie to make my brother cry, a 2001 film called Hard Ball with Keanu Reeves. Some little boy dies at the end and he cries everytime. It's the funniest thing I've ever seen.

VengefulRonin
12-16-2006, 09:17 AM
SPOILER TAG FOR SPOILERS

QUOTE TAG FOR QUOTES

URL TAG FOR ... URLS (http://www.google.com)

i don't know what this is for

Jack comes back. Everyone who has anything to do with this trilogy has confirmed the rumors. Billy Bob Thornton plays Hades!

I didnt know Hades would be in it? Is it turning into a greek mythology movie now? O_O But no, jack isnt dead, he's too cool to die. Duh. But it made me sad nontheless...and then in the final scene i just went O________O *dies of shock*

Renmiri
12-16-2006, 11:05 AM
It's one of the oldest and most tried and true techniques in entertainment, be it in a book, a play, a TV series or a movie. We grow attached to characters, begin to empathize with them, and then ultimately, must be confronted with the loss of them, and it almost always hits home. There are far too many examples to even begin, but when it's done right, it resonates like few other things.
It is one of the marks of bad screenplay or movie writing: Kill all your characters because you can't think of an ending for them, or to get some tears and emotion out of your reader w/ having to "work" for them.

When done right, without cheapening the death or using it just as a way to jerk the tear ducts of your audience, or when the deaths are meaningful in some other way than the obvious emotional impact, yes, it is a good plot device.

I hate those "Street Vigilante" kind of movies when you see a cuddly family and cute kids on the first scenes and you just know they will be barbecued, mowed down and / or get other horrible death, just to "justify" the movie hero turning into a serial killer with some teeny scruples (kills only bad guys who deserve it, by the most violent ways possible).

Don't get me wrong, I like action movies, what I dislike is the cheap manipulation of my emotions those cheesy movies try to do. Lethal Weapon didn't show us Mel Gibson's wife getting offed and it was a very good enjoyable movie, for instance. Whereas any Steven Segal movie started with "wifey and adorable kid get thrown in the meat shredder". It was never a surly teenager or a noisy kid who got offed. It was always a cute as a button little kid with puppy eyes saying "I love you dadd.." POW! The kid's head explodes in a blur of blood before he/ she even finishes the sentence. Yuck! I mean, can you be any more obvious in your attempt to milk my sympathy ?

EDIT: What infuriates me more is that most times they succeed and I do feel my eyes stinging :mad2: :rolleyes2 :tongue:

Wolf Kanno
12-17-2006, 07:32 AM
It is one of the marks of bad screenplay or movie writing: Kill all your characters because you can't think of an ending for them, or to get some tears and emotion out of your reader w/ having to "work" for them.

When done right, without cheapening the death or using it just as a way to jerk the tear ducts of your audience, or when the deaths are meaningful in some other way than the obvious emotional impact, yes, it is a good plot device.

I completely agree with you... Probably the only movie I have ever seen do a character death well was Tenchi Muyo! In Love. It's a time travel story where Tenchi has to stop an evil alien criminal from killing his mother in the past. Now his mother actually died when he was very young, so for him, this is the first time he got to really meet and see his mother. Even if she was now the same age as him. It's a very well written and powerful movie, especially coming from a series that is generaly a romantic comedy.

In the end, Tenchi is able to save his mother from being murdered (actually, she saves them) and returns to his time. He later comes to understand that it was her release of her powers at such a young age that eventually led to her early death. In essence, she died at a young
age in order to save his life.
To this day, this is still one of the few movies that brings a tear to my eye :crying2:

Renmiri
12-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Sounds like a movie I want to see :D

Wolf's Rain, the anime short series is a good example of death used as a plot device. The entire cast dies, goodies and baddies all of them :eek: But even there, some of the deaths felt "forced" and meaningless.

LoveArya
12-17-2006, 02:03 PM
The Notebook, Titanic, and other sad movies(Yet im still a sucker to watch all of them:D )

Craig
12-17-2006, 02:11 PM
While it's pretty obvious that Jack comes back, I'm quite positive that he's dead.

After all, he did get eaten by a giant Octopus.

Plus, Barbossa has knowledge of the place that they have to go to to get Jack back, and Barbossa died.

Maybe there's just a way to ressurect people at Land's end or whatever.

Bunny
12-17-2006, 04:02 PM
SPOILER TAG FOR SPOILERS

QUOTE TAG FOR QUOTESURL TAG FOR ... URLS (http://www.google.com)

i don't know what this is forJack comes back. Everyone who has anything to do with this trilogy has confirmed the rumors. Billy Bob Thornton plays Hades!

I didnt know Hades would be in it? Is it turning into a greek mythology movie now? O_O But no, jack isnt dead, he's too cool to die. Duh. But it made me sad nontheless...and then in the final scene i just went O________O *dies of shock*

No, I was kinda kidding about that part.

Cast List (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0449088/). See? Jack is still in it. Or maybe.. he's a pirate ghost.

OooOOoooOoooOoooOoo

Odaisé Gaelach
12-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Jack's not dead, he just had to hide from the Chinese, that's all. :)