PDA

View Full Version : London

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-17-2006, 12:29 AM
I guess many of you have been or would be wanting to visit London at some point in your lives and I would definetly recommend doing so before your time is up. Took me years to appreciate the damn place. Didn't know how cool London was until it slapped me in the face a few years ago.
With our two millenia old history, over seven million strong population, generations upon generations of acclaimed British monarchs, and heaps of attractions waiting to be raped by your pleasure-hungry cameras I think it's safe to say that London is up there with the top five cities of the world, if not at the top. Oh yes and there's that little thing called the London Underground which is the probably the most awesome form of transport our humble little world ever cared to produce

So let's discuss London for a little while

The Captain
12-17-2006, 12:30 AM
I do intend to visit one day, whether as just a traveler or as a student. The rich history by itself is reason to go, but there is so much to see and do in modern London as well.

Take care all.

Araciel
12-17-2006, 12:32 AM
that city's too big and scary for a country bumpkin like me :eek::eek:

i'll just stick to the colony i live in hoo hoo

Christmas
12-17-2006, 12:32 AM
If only the bridge dun come falling down. :(

rubah
12-17-2006, 12:35 AM
I liked London a lot. My first foreign city, first subway ride, etc etc etc

I loved how the windows in the Strand [hotel] could open up to the outside; you don't see that in America. Especially not eight stories up where you can go out over Strand [street] and jump off if you had a mind too :p

We lurked at Piccadilli Circus like all the other young adult/teen lurkers there, and walking through the city during dark, I kept thinking how nice it would be if it were Christmas there, so I want to go there again some christmastime.

Bunny
12-17-2006, 12:36 AM
I want to go one day, but I highly doubt I will ever get the chance.

Zeldy
12-17-2006, 12:37 AM
I went a few years ago for a a day or two for my Mum's 40th. Im sorry to put a downer on London, but I was so bored! The wheel was so slow, it was like "Oh my god, I saw this view 5 MINUTES AGO"

Maybe if Id been for longer, and not with my parents I might have enjoyed it. The sight seeing really isnt my thing.

LoveArya
12-17-2006, 02:00 AM
I have wanted to go there my whole life! Theres so much beautiful scenery and everything there! Ive only read about it, and I have a few friends that live there, but I REALLY hope I can go there one day.

rubah
12-17-2006, 05:25 AM
I have wanted to go there my whole life! Theres so much beautiful scenery and everything there! Ive only read about it, and I have a few friends that live there, but I REALLY hope I can go there one day.
Sometimes schools will host a trip to europe; mine does every few years and it's really a really small school; that's how I went last year :] Start saving now ;] and hope they don't choose greese or germany or somewhere else xD

starseeker
12-17-2006, 11:02 AM
I live in one of the outer London boroughs so going into Central London isn't a big deal for me. I get dragged to a museum almost every school holiday with my younger siblings.

Xander
12-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Been there a lot, I was very touristy at first and I thought it was great. But I'm more of a country girl really, I don't like the busyness of the city too much :p I'd rather go visit some other countries!

Craig
12-17-2006, 11:42 AM
I've never been to London. But I plan on taking my girlfriend there for a weekend away. Probably for her birthday or our 1 year anniversary or something.

I'm quite happy living in the pea size city that is Bristol though.

Xander
12-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Ohh, you live quite near me, my brother lives in Bristol. Yeah I quite like little towns. (where I live)

Burtsplurt
12-17-2006, 12:30 PM
I've been to London a few times, and I don't like it at all. It's too busy and it's huge. The Tube is scary - everyone avoids eye contact and no-one smiles.

I'd quite like to go back for the Olympics, though. That should be good.

Dreddz
12-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Londons decent. Its has its downers though, congestion charge, terrorism threats and crime. But when you look past that its easily one of the best cities in the world. So much variety throughout the city, so much to do. Although living here all my life has sorta gotten me bored of all that. The underground music scene coming out of London is huge, people need to take more notice of it from other countries.

While Ill doubt Ill be living in the same South London ghetto Ive been in all my life, I wouldnt mind living in London for the remainder of my life, preferably somewhere in the West London though as thats pretty much where everything is.

Anaisa
12-17-2006, 12:52 PM
St James's park has pelicans. That automatically makes London good.

chrisfffan
12-17-2006, 01:08 PM
London is one of the greatest cities in the world with its history,culture and night life!

Cz
12-17-2006, 01:13 PM
It's my second favourite place in the world, after NYC. I'm extremely lucky to live here.

chrisfffan
12-17-2006, 01:20 PM
im going to New York next year my mum and dad went and because they thought it was so good they were disappointed they said it was a "Dirty London" but they did go to one of the best restaurants they have ever been to "Sparks Steak House" I told them to go there because the head of the mafia years ago, Paul Castellano was whacked outside! i cant wait to go.

Dreddz
12-17-2006, 01:57 PM
London is dirtier than New York by the way. New York is overrated in my opinion, good but not as great as I imagined. It has alot more shopping streets than London but none of the department stores even come close to the greatness that is Selfridges in London's Oxford Street. Im not picking one city over the other as neither city is better than one another.

LoveArya
12-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Sometimes schools will host a trip to europe; mine does every few years and it's really a really small school; that's how I went last year :] Start saving now ;] and hope they don't choose greese or germany or somewhere else xD
Thanks!:)

aquatius
12-17-2006, 03:13 PM
I've seen Titus Andronicus at London and have been there a few ties. It's nice.

chrisfffan
12-17-2006, 04:07 PM
This is part of the post posted by dreddz

London is dirtier than New York by the way

I wasn’t saying New York is dirtier than London it was just a opinion from my mum and dad I think they were on about the graffiti more than anything plus they went to the Bronxs so that’s a bit like going to Peckham.

Strider
12-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Hey, what do you know? I was JUST THERE!

Frozen Phantom
12-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Nah I'll pass, British accents drive me crazy.

escobert
12-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Since my family is from London I would love to visit the city. Who knows if or when that will happen.

Little Blue
12-17-2006, 09:49 PM
I went to London once with school to the Millennium Dome. Can't say I was too impressed (with the city or the dome, but then I didn't really see much of the city). I think I'll prefer to stay in the Midlands unless I have no choice but go to London...

Rantz
12-17-2006, 10:28 PM
If I visit England I probably wouldn't visit London, I'm not a fan of cities. I'm not saying I don't want to visit London, just saying I believe there are a lot more interesting places to be. Also, I've recently been to Scotland, so Britain is not incredibly highly prioritized on my "places to visit" list.

Roto13
12-17-2006, 11:24 PM
It's not really on my list of places I want to visit, but I guess I wouldn't turn down a free trip there or anything. :P I've heard it's insanely expensive, though.

Miriel
12-17-2006, 11:57 PM
My best friend is studying abroad in London this coming Spring. Which of course means that I'll have to visit her there, so I'm hoping to make a trip to Europe in 07. Maybe during Spring Break.

Dreddz
12-18-2006, 12:39 AM
It's not really on my list of places I want to visit, but I guess I wouldn't turn down a free trip there or anything. :P I've heard it's insanely expensive, though.

Yeah, the price you have to pay for things here is a joke.

Rengori
12-18-2006, 03:55 AM
I'd be happy to visit a place that wasn't California for a change. Damn relatives.

LoveArya
12-18-2006, 03:38 PM

I kinda like English accents:D

Old Manus
12-18-2006, 03:46 PM
You need to get down with the Welsh accent (boyo)

LoveArya
12-18-2006, 04:48 PM
You need to get down with the Welsh accent (boyo)

lol ill check up on that

Spatvark
12-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Honestly, if I were to recommend one city in Britain to visit, it'd be Edinburgh, not London. I've got nothing against the grand old lady, but I can't for the life of me call the place beautiful.

Breine
12-18-2006, 08:53 PM
I've only been to London once about three years ago for around 5 days, and I can undoubtedly say that London is one of my favourite capitals of Europe, along with Paris. I went to see all of the typical tourist stuff like Big Ben, The Eye of London, Tower Bridge, Greenwich and so on. I also got to see the musical "We Will Rock You" based on Queen's music, and shop like a madman on Oxford Street (especially Virgin Megastore - God, I love that shop!). It was a really great trip and I've been wanting to go back for quite some time now. I'm pretty sure it'll happen at one point.

chrisfffan
12-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Posted by spatvark

Honestly, if I were to recommend one city in Britain to visit, it'd be Edinburgh, not London. I've got nothing against the grand old lady, but I can't for the life of me call the place beautiful.

My reply
You obviously haven’t been to the nice parts in London the next time you go, go to south West London, Chelsea in Fulham if you don’t think it’s a beautiful place then you need your eyes testing!

Posted by Frozen Phantom

My reply
What are you on about mate? The British accents it would be English accents they are what make England great anyway! in London so many different people live there now their isn’t really a accent apart from the real cockneys I will give you a example try and work the slang out!

She’s got a lovely boat race

Do you like my whistle?

Im going for a nelson riddle

Rantz
12-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Yeah, the price you have to pay for things here is a joke.

I'll bring a book of jokes and come to London then! :jess:

Loony BoB
12-19-2006, 12:19 AM
Never cared for it, personally. There are other European cities which have a lot of old buildings while managing to be far less cramped, busy and polluted.

Like Edinburgh. :love: Best British city I've seen by a long shot.

However, even if Edinburgh in the Christmas time is amazing, I still am pretty sure that there are better places than either of the two capitals to go to at that time - it might be lovely in some places but overall it's not a snowy time, it's a slushy time, and slush is not something I enjoy. If you want a lovely snow-filled old town during Christmas, try a town rather than a city as the cities are just too busy to get the complete magic. Although again, Edinburgh during Christmas really is amazing, so maybe London is alright too. Just don't think classical beauty with snow on the streets, think wonderful lights and atmosphere instead.

chrisfffan
12-19-2006, 05:08 PM
you couldnt of been out at night in London before

snakebyte91
01-26-2007, 09:46 PM

are you having a bubble?!(cockney rhyming slang before you ask...) what accents don't you like ? the posh type or cockney? me being British I love MY accent but the Californian accent..man i hate it.

those who say London is dirty what part of london did you see?:eep: and i can understand the busy part because we do have the busiest street in the world...(oxford street).

Resha
01-28-2007, 05:10 PM
I'ma go London someday. Some of my best friends live there and always they are the inviting me to come over but always I am the being too poor or the too busy or the having examininations. Someday though I be the promising myself I go -- I go taking the aeroplane to be the place that the be North London and watch...

Odaisé Gaelach
01-28-2007, 05:26 PM
I've heard that it is a really nice place to visit. Haven't been there yet, though. :(

Zeldy
01-28-2007, 06:45 PM
Manchester is nice too. Northwest England isnt ALL bad ;_;

Dreddz
01-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Manchester is nice too. Northwest England isnt ALL bad ;_;

Yes it is.

~*~Celes~*~
01-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Aww, how can you say that? My hunnie is English, and I LURVE TEH ACCENT! =D

Anyway, I'm definantly going someday to England! I don't think I'll be in London, but I'll be going to Blackpool for sure =] I don't know how long in the future though...parents don't have the money right now and they don't want anything happening to me so they won't let me go...=/ I'll find a way to get there though.

Lost Number
01-29-2007, 11:17 PM
If I ever visit London, im bringing as much semtex as I can get through customs. And thanks to the Arabs, thats quite a lot now. Plus, I know people from these forums from London.
Which is exactly my reason for wanting it levelled.

oddler
01-30-2007, 01:17 AM
I'm sure there is something interesting in London that would be worth the trip but I don't see myself going anytime soon for the following reason: there is something interesting in every place in the world. :p

krissy
01-30-2007, 09:42 AM
i've been to heathrow for a few hours every now and again

ama124
01-30-2007, 01:01 PM
I've never been to london but i'll definitely go down there at least once in my lifetime or maybe more. It sounds pretty nice :)

Endless
01-30-2007, 01:28 PM
I went to London, and, coming from Paris, it thoroughly failed to impress me. I stayed near King's Cross, and my most memorable sights in that area are:
- a lot of hotels, and quite expensive considering what you get,
- a phone booth where someone had puked,
- the big building near the station, which I didn't get a chance to visit.

Since we weren't staying long, we didn't do all the touristy stuff, but we did walk over one of the bridges to the park near the tower of London (which I didn't get to visit either), the park was ok. We saw a bit of Picadilly (I think, where all the stores are) but didn't stay because it's too crowded.
Thankfully, Phoenix and I were meeting with someone from FFL there, which made the weekend bearable.

Riana
01-30-2007, 05:27 PM
London is fabulous! I've been there about three times, and dying to go back. I simply love the sights, the stores and the coffee shops! :love:

Hyde Park is very peaceful, it's nice to go there with a group of friends and just chill out.

Rocket Edge
01-30-2007, 07:14 PM
London is a great place. I will more than likely live there one day for a while. It's a beautiful place also, and has just about everything you need in a big city. The night life, even though mega expensive, is an experience that i enjoyed all the same.