PDA

View Full Version : New FFCC:Ring of Fates info

Crossblades
12-17-2006, 03:34 AM
http://ds.ign.com/articles/751/751319p1.html

Square Enix has at last started to share details on the new DS entry in the Crystal Chronicles series of Final Fantasy offshoots. These first details on Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates, come our way via the latest issue of Famitsu.

For those who were concerned that the drop in system specs from the GameCube to the DS would result in dumbed down gameplay, we've got some good news for you. Ring of Fates actually adds some complexity to the original Crystal Chronicles gameplay system, thanks to a fully 3D world. Differences in surface height have an effect on battle.

Fighting is action oriented once again, with up to four players cooperating on the battle field. As with the original, the game uses a simple button setup, with the A button used for magic and standard attacks, and the B button used to pick things up. The targeting ring also returns with the sequel. By holding down the attack button, you can specify an area over which you want your magic and healing to work.

Square Enix has added a few new elements to the game. You can now jump, which promises to give the game a more action feel. The stylus can be used for direct manipulation of the menus that appear on the bottom screen -- that's right, all the action takes place on the top screen.

But the biggest change is in the absence of the Crystal Cage. In the original, the world and all areas of play were surrounded in a poisonous mist. In order to protect yourself, you had to carry a Crystal Cage device around wherever you went, with one player physically transporting it as your party advanced through the world. With the Crystal Cage missing this time, you're free to move around as you please.

The only thing up in the air right now seems to be the method to be used for multiplayer play. The game's character designer, Toshiyuki Itahana, said in an interview with Famitsu, that Crystal Chronicles is meant to be played as players speak to one another in order to time their spells and movements. The game will have close proximity wireless play, but internet-based play via Wi-Fi is something that's currently being looked into. Itahana mentioned the possibility of a different type of play through Wi-Fi, with Famitsu speculating that perhaps item exchange and downloads could be what results.

Those who plan on playing alone will be pleased to learn that Ring of Fates has a story mode for single players. The story surrounds two main characters, Yulie and Cherinka. This brother-sister pair are twins, and while they have their own distinct personalities, they're said to have been born at the same time from a single force.

Also playing a big role in the game are two crystals, one good, one not so good. The not so good one has been bringing pain to the twins' home town, which is how the story begins.

The theme of the storyline, according to director Mitsuru Kamiyama, is brother-sister and family love. There will also be an element of character growth. While the main characters start off young, they grow as the game progresses. Kamiyama promises a full single player experience this time, with a storyline that will make players laugh and cry.

Unfortunately, there's no word yet on when we'll get to play through Crystal Chronicles in single player mode, but we don't anticipate a long wait, at least not in Japan. A demo will be shown at the Jump Festa comic/videogame show this weekend in Tokyo, so the title can't be too far off.

Sam250
12-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Yeah! I've got a DS (wooo!), and all these Square Enix game annouced for it is brillinat. DSs are like THE system to own when it comes to RPGs atm!

Ok, sorry for my rant, anyway....
Yeah, it seems like Square is really warming up to Nintendo again. Ahhh like the good old days, eh?

LazarCotoron
12-21-2006, 12:58 AM
The good old days are new again, eh? We'll see.

Actually, this is some of the best news I've seen. CC was a GREAT game, and putting it directly on the DS for wifi play is a KILLER idea! I think I know what will take up the dead time at conventions now!

LunarWeaver
12-21-2006, 02:21 AM
I'm really becoming interested in this game, and I don't even own a DS nor did I like the Gamecube Crystal Chronicles whatsoever at all. If they put a real plot into this one, I will like it much more. People like me who have no friends need freakin' stories, alright? And if they do Wi-Fi, hey all the better. Then that nasty reality won't get in my way if I want to play with other people. If this and a few other DS games turn out well I'm gonna have to suck it up and buy one.

Roto13
12-21-2006, 03:02 AM
The DS has a mike. Put it to use, guys.

LazarCotoron
12-21-2006, 06:13 AM
I'm really becoming interested in this game, and I don't even own a DS nor did I like the Gamecube Crystal Chronicles whatsoever at all. If they put a real plot into this one, I will like it much more. People like me who have no friends need freakin' stories, alright? And if they do Wi-Fi, hey all the better. Then that nasty reality won't get in my way if I want to play with other people. If this and a few other DS games turn out well I'm gonna have to suck it up and buy one.

Get out there, meet some people, and become a real man, student learner!

Seriously though, get a DS. Trust me on this-I wouldn't say it's the best system I own because of fan boy love festing, although I could see why you might suspect that, given the nature of the people around here...

Honestly, I give you my solemn word that Nintendo's handheld is better than a PS2, and unless you're looking for a multi purpose digital device, it blows the doors off the PSP. And really, what are you going to use the PSP for? Three games, movies that it can't play all of, and an MP3 player?

Back on track... I wonder if they'll have new races? I'd at least like to see the FFCC and Ivalice races. And possibly even something that resembles FFXI's job class system, although that would complicate the Gauntlet-like nature of the game.

lufia
12-29-2006, 09:51 AM
this looks hella fun! what a great era for the ds.
heres a summary so far of the game.
http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm
# There are four races, the story takes place in Ivalice
# The game will support up to 4 players over Wi-Fi, one player must be selected as the leader
# The battles will be in 3D; the level of the fields and position of the character affects the battles
# Player has slight advantage standing in higher ground
# There are new jump commands, in addition to magic and attack
# The theme of them game is Family and Fraternal Love
# Crystals will not be in the game
# The game is directed by Mitsuru Kamiyama who worked on FFCC for GameCube
# Character designs is handled by Toshiyuki Itahana (FFCC, Chocobo's Dungeon 2)
# The development is 60% complete

and heres a video
http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-ring-of-fates-video-29846.html