PDA

View Full Version : Eragon

SeeDRankLou
12-17-2006, 09:16 AM
So, for all of you that watched this movies, what is your opinion?

I thought it was good, but not as good as it could have been. The plot was choppy, that was the major thing I had with the movie. Other than that, I thought it was a rather good movie. Decent acting, good plot, and a beautifully rendered dragon. The battle scene was very well done.

So what is everyone's thought of the movie?

YTDN
12-17-2006, 09:47 AM
I haven't watched it yet, but I want to see it and compare it to the book. From what I've read about the movie, it differs from the book greatly and kills various plot points, apparently.

I Took the Red Pill
12-17-2006, 05:00 PM
I've read the book and from the reviews I've read of the movie sofar, I'm thinking I'm going to stay away from the film. It got a 14% on rottentomatoes.com, and I usually find myself agreeing with their numbers, which makes sense because it's an average score of reviewers around the country. From what I saw there, alot of reviewers were saying it basically ripped off the plot from Star Wars and stuck it in a fantasy setting, which seems unappealing to me.

Ryth
12-17-2006, 05:05 PM
It doesn't look very good. I'm not hearing good things either, I think I'll stay away. I may rent it, but I may just stay away from it all together.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-18-2006, 03:58 PM
I went past the Odeon, Leicester Square last week and they seem to be celebrating the premiere of this film with bursts of fire. As with most other films I shall get my first screening when it comes out on terrestial TV.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
12-18-2006, 04:32 PM
wasnt worth my money, i was a bit disappointed

Craig
12-18-2006, 04:38 PM
I've read the book and from the reviews I've read of the movie sofar, I'm thinking I'm going to stay away from the film. It got a 14% on rottentomatoes.com, and I usually find myself agreeing with their numbers, which makes sense because it's an average score of reviewers around the country. From what I saw there, alot of reviewers were saying it basically ripped off the plot from Star Wars and stuck it in a fantasy setting, which seems unappealing to me.

Does that mean that somebody is somebody's father?

LoveArya
12-18-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm also gonna stay away from the film. I heard 3 years ago when I was reading a magazine tht they were gonna make it. I read the book and it was great, but most really good books make corny movies, unless they actually do EVERYTHING that is in the book. I dont see how they can make a 3 hour movie on lord of the rings, but make 1 hour movies on better books. Its a waste in my opinion

Breine
12-18-2006, 09:12 PM
I just went to see it yesterday and I was kinda disappointed. I've never read the book, so I didn't really know what I was getting myself into, but I expected a movie that would be at least as good as "Narnia". Unfortunately it was not really that good, but just mediocre I guess.

I remember quite a lot of cheesy moments and details in the movie, and they were some scenes that seemed pretty awkward and out of place. The story itself was fine, but because the movie wasn't that long everything happened so fast that I didn't really get a true sense of some of the characters and such.

The acting was generally mediocre. Ed Speleer, or whatever his name is, who plays Eragon does an OK job. There are some moments were his acting seems a bit off or strange, but maybe it's the character.. I'm not really sure. Jeremy Irons does a nice job, and Sienna Guillory (sp?) and John Malcovich are also just OK. The true star of the movie was Rachel Weisz, who did the voice for the dragon Saphira - she was the only really interesting and wholesome character of the movie, and it also helped a lot that the dragon was really, really well made... The rest of the special effects were also quite amazing.

Overall it was a mediocre movie - if a sequel is made they should try to eliminate the cheesy-ness and concentrate on the story and characters.

kikimm
12-19-2006, 01:12 AM
From what I saw there, alot of reviewers were saying it basically ripped off the plot from Star Wars and stuck it in a fantasy setting, which seems unappealing to me.

Yeah :D

I went to see it yesterday, and I thought it was terrible. I couldn't stop laughing. Sooooo cliche. But I knew I wouldn't like it, so I'm not disappointed or anything. Not even Rachel Weisz or Jeremy Irons could save it for me. :(

I haven't read the books, so maybe those are better. But blegh blegh. Blegh.

LoveArya
12-19-2006, 01:28 AM
From what I saw there, alot of reviewers were saying it basically ripped off the plot from Star Wars and stuck it in a fantasy setting, which seems unappealing to me.

I went to see it yesterday, and I thought it was terrible. I couldn't stop laughing. Sooooo cliche. But I knew I wouldn't like it, so I'm not disappointed or anything. Not even Rachel Weisz or Jeremy Irons could save it for me. :(

I promise the books are a lot better! So far, it sounds the movie really sux, which is really bad since the books are so good :(

XxSephirothxX
12-19-2006, 01:29 AM
I thought the book was supposed to be pretty meh, and considering it was written by a kid, I didn't really have any expectations for it to rise above cliche basic fantasy. And the trailers looked absolutely godawful. :p Even the CG looked crappy. Jeremy Irons needs to stop being in bad fantasy movies. First Dungeons and Dragons and now this? Sad.

Resha
12-19-2006, 12:30 PM
I...I fell asleep during the movie. It was terrible.

"I suffer without my stone..."??!?! No, goddamn, give me a break. Never read the books, and now I never will.

Rusty
12-19-2006, 01:02 PM
It looks sooo cliche and cheesy. I know I'll be forced to go watch it, but it looks really bad.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-27-2006, 05:51 AM
The movie was alright. Books were waaaaay waaaay better. Sadly, the movie threw out much of the plot and made MAJOR changes within it. It would have been better if they had just taken the time to make the 8 or so hour movie and done the whole plot right.

Renmiri
12-27-2006, 06:23 AM
So, for all of you that watched this movies, what is your opinion?

I thought it was good, but not as good as it could have been.

Aye, I felt cheated. The darn movie had "It will have a sequel" written all over it. I want half of my money back since I only got half of the movie!!

Kamiko
12-27-2006, 06:31 AM
The first book was a good effort. The second was marginally better.
The movie was retarded, except for Murtagh.

StarlightAngel
12-27-2006, 06:50 AM
The first book was a good effort. The second was marginally better.
The movie was retarded, except for Murtagh.

Agreed.

NINJA_Ryu
12-27-2006, 05:57 PM
From the moment I read the book, I enjoyed it

From the moment I heard of the movie, I had my bad juju aleert going on

But since then, they have been set lower and lower in my eyes with each passing day

Moon Rabbits
12-27-2006, 09:54 PM
I couldn't finish the book for boredom. I didn't see the movie out of no interest. I've heard the acting is bad, and this story always struck me as very generic fantasy.

Dragon Mage
12-27-2006, 10:14 PM
The movie was so bad words cannot begin to convey its awfulness. They screwed the plot up so bad it didn't even resemble the book in the slightest. The acting was horrible, the script was for :skull::skull::skull::skull:, the CG wasn't even that good. The stereotype of bad guy and good guy was so cheesy....
this movie left me in tears, it was so bad. I wept for the wonderful story that had been raped and murdered in the back alleys of movie making. To all who have seen the movie but haven't read the books: DON'T BASE THE BOOKS ON THE MOVIE!!!! THE BOOKS WERE SO MUCH BETTER!!! READ THE BOOKS AND SHUN THE MOIVE!!!

There was so much that went wrong in the movie. Like, when the dragon first flies, suddenly *poof* it's full grown! WTF?! In one seconed it went from hatchling to adult! The cities of Teirm and Yazuac were mashed together, and actually, in the book, Terim is a very prosperous port town, not some crap-splat run down little town. Angela (fortune teller) is a key character and they completley threw out the were-cat. Jeod was also thrown out and he's also a key character. Not once in the movie did they tell you Arya is an elf, and they sure as hell didn't just try to rush in and save her. Murtagh was so randomly thrown in, the actors didn't fit the parts and the Raz'ac were never killed, in the book. They just killed the story. No not killed, they sacfrificed it to the money gods in an evil ritual that tainted the earth itself.

If you've read the books, never NEVER go see movie. It will leave you in shock. Save your money, and if someone tries to force you to see it, fight for all your worth. It may spare you your life.

Ouch!
12-27-2006, 11:27 PM
The movie was horrible, and I can't say much more about the books. I never got very far into Eragon in the first place. The writing was atrocious. I suppose it was unfair of me to expect more from a fifteen-year-old author (that's how old Paolini was when he wrote most of it, right?). I refuse to touch the book with a ten foot pole now, and I wish I'd treated the movie the same way.

Renmiri
12-28-2006, 06:12 AM
The movie was so bad even John Malkovich and Jeremy Irons were cheesy on it. And they are both Oscar caliper actors.

Warrior Yuna
01-03-2007, 10:19 AM
It sucked. The movie was absolutely nothing like the book. It's a pathetic excuse for a movie. They changed it so much the plot is absolutely meaningless.

The book itself is quite decent.

Rinion
01-04-2007, 04:26 AM
I was offended. I want to get my hands on the god-forsaken screen writters. Me and my geek friends went to see it the night it came out, and half of us left in tears. (Not tears of Joy, I assure you). The damned director killed half the plot. He made what was months of a journey seem like a day. I am -OFFENDED- by it. I hope to god Chris keeps them from kaking an Eldest.

Firo Volondé
01-04-2007, 11:48 AM
I always make sure I never see movies based off books I like, because it always kills my enthusiasm (Lord of the Rings is the only exception). Seriously, a 500 page novel into a movie less than 2 hours? Obviously the author was seduced with a sack of money.

The Triumphant Hero
01-04-2007, 12:18 PM
It would have been a much better movie if I hadn't read the book - I guess you could call it a different story with some of the same settings and character names. It was an okay movie, but it failed miserably at doing anything like it happens in the book.

Laddy
01-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Meh, it was okay, it missed way too many plotm points and glazed over everything, it would be okay if it was an hour longer and was more thorough with the scenes instead of flashes of images.

MJN SEIFER
01-05-2007, 06:41 PM
I might watch it.

It is a vauge refrense to an old Video game.

look_out_below
01-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Horrible movie. Bad acting, bad script, the rushed everything so no real character development of any kinds, plot is predictable, the directing and camera angles were awful. The films overall editing was also rather bad. For example in one part of the movie it shows the characters it is bright and sunny, about two seconds later it is pouring rain and dark. This wasnt put in the movie to show a passing of time, it was just a horrible mistake overlooked by the editors. I would rate this movie a 1/10 and thats only because i liked the dragon. I just hope that the rumoured Dragonriders of Pern movie does not involve the murdering of a decent fantasy book as this horrible movie did.

escobert
01-08-2007, 09:45 AM

and blegh!

I want this movie to bet good, but I'm afraid it will suck. :(

Jojee
01-08-2007, 09:46 AM
*sad* T_T I read the book and it was pretty good. I wanted to see the movie! But now I won't because everyone says it sucks T___T

MJN SEIFER
01-08-2007, 07:20 PM
*sad* T_T I read the book and it was pretty good. I wanted to see the movie! But now I won't because everyone says it sucks T___T

Don't let critics put you off, sometimes they will be right, but other times they'll be wrong.

I once refused to see a film called "Polar Express" becuase every review I saw of it was bad, but My dad talked me into seeing it and I LOVED it. So it's best to ignore critics and see a film and then decide for you self.

Riana
01-12-2007, 02:12 PM
*sigh* Such a disappointing piece of work. I read somewhere that Paolini had plenty of input throughout the shooting, that must have been a lie.
I've read the book, before which I liked.

I'm a Lord of the Rings nut. Love the books, love the films (even the games are damn good!)

But Eragon (the film) was the biggest rip-off from Lord of the Rings films I had ever seen! Come on, they practically stole most of the ideas from Peter Jackson! :mad:

NorthernChaosGod
01-13-2007, 05:33 AM
I actually really liked it. But I'm a sucker for fantasy type movies, especially when they have dragons. :bigsmile:

Yliette
01-22-2007, 02:29 AM
Drawbacks were the plot. Too flimsy and predictable.

The acting was okay though. Speelers did quite a good job.

And the way they rendered Saphira was superb! The battle scenes were breathtaking!

Overall it's good, not great. Just good. Not the kind of movie I'll pay 120 pesos (USD 2.40) for to watch again.

But IMO one shouldn't judge a movie based on a book unless he has read the book itself.

hplvr
01-22-2007, 09:19 PM
i havent actually seen it, but ive read the book and my friend told me it has nothing to do with the book like (Spoiler: down look down if u havent seen it)

They kill off the Ra'Zac!!!!! Like thats the whole point of the 2nd book!