PDA

View Full Version : The Big Disappointments

RiseToFall
12-17-2006, 11:40 PM
I know this topic has been done already but it was quite a while ago so I decided to make a new thread.

What game(s) did you have high hopes for, but in the end turn out to be complete crap?

Tavrobel
12-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Final Fantasy X-2.

LunarWeaver
12-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness :hahaha:

Craig
12-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Hide and Seek. Houses these days just don't have enough nooks and crannies.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
12-18-2006, 02:20 AM
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. I was hoping that the sequel to the original KOTOR would be the video game equivalent to The Empire Strikes Back but it wasn't.

Before you guys say 'KOTOR 2 wasn't that bad of a game' let me make one thing clear...The Empire Strikes Back is arguably the best Star Wars movie ever.

And The Sith Lords is far from being the best Star Wars game ever it's more like the KOTOR version of the infamous, Revenge of the Sith.

Wolf Kanno
12-18-2006, 03:22 AM
Final Fantasy X, I reserved it and everything. It's premise was good it started off wonderfully and then BAM! 40 hours of me wondering why I should give a damn about the worst ensemble of characters ever assembled into an RPG. The first thing I said when the credits started to roll was "Thank God".

NeoCracker
12-18-2006, 04:35 AM
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter. I loved 2, 3 was quite entertaining, though i havn't gotten very far yet, so I had High hopes for Dragon Quarter. One of the most horible games I've ever paid for it was.

FF VIII and X were big le tdowns, especially VIII. Worst FF Ever, and before someone says mystic quest was teh worst, at least that game was enjoyable, albight extremely easy.

Suiokuden IV, or however its spelled. After hereing such great things about it, I thought it would rock hard. However it sucked horribly, but I'll take everyones word that it was just a bad egg in the series and try V when I can.

Also Disgaia 2, it was enterataining, but failed in comparason to Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom.

XxSephirothxX
12-18-2006, 04:41 AM
Most recently, Prey, Ninety-Nine Nights, and Chromehounds come to mind. I was hoping each would be fun, with the exceptino of N3, had a shot at becoming the next big thing for my friends and I on Xbox Live. But they all turned out to kind of suck.

Jowy
12-18-2006, 07:09 AM
Chrono Cross and Suikoden IV.

Dreddz
12-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Bushido Blade 2
Grandia Xtreme

Craig
12-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Final Fantasy X, I reserved it and everything. It's premise was good it started off wonderfully and then BAM! 40 hours of me wondering why I should give a damn about the worst ensemble of characters ever assembled into an RPG. The first thing I said when the credits started to roll was "Thank God".

Generally, when you can't stand a game so much that you actually thank the gods at its completion, you shouldn't be playing it to the point where you do complete it.

No.78
12-18-2006, 12:11 PM
None, if you have no expectations then you can't be dissapointed. Nothing ever happens as expected.

EDIT: Fuck that, every single DBZ game.

Wild0ne
12-18-2006, 12:21 PM
FF VIII and FFTA come to mind. But then theres Golden Sun..and when FFII finally came to America that was dissappointing....

Had such high hopes that were let down...

Vivisteiner
12-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Prince of Persia: Warrior within

None of the FFs have ever let me down. Good thing I havnt played FFX-2.

JKTrix
12-18-2006, 12:28 PM
My life motto is "Expect nothing, and you won't be disappointed." It's hard to do that sometimes (like all the hype around Zelda and Gears of War, thankfully they turned out alright), but I think I handle it usually.

I can't think of many games recently that i've actually played that I've been disappointed with. Phantasy Star Universe is the only one that really comes to mind, though it's not that bad. I tend to stay away from bad games.

Also, DBZ Budokai 3, DBZ Tenkaichi Budokai 2 for Wii and the 2 portable Supersonic Warriors games are all awesome DBZ games. Play 'em.

Timerk
12-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Final Fantasy XII.

Germ Hamee
12-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Donkey Kong 64. What a load of garbage!

Also, Rule of Rose. The story was looking good, but it was just so damn unplayable. Literally. If I could have progressed farther, I would have. Such faulty design...

Slothy
12-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Mario Sunshine: The levels were extremely lacking in variety, and pretty boring in general, and the water pack really didn't add much to the gameplay. Also, there were far too few levels.

Wind Waker: I loved this game... what was there anyway. Again, not enough levels, and although some like to say that the levels themselves were so much larger than previous games, they really didn't take me much longer to complete. Through in the coma inducing sailing and the triforce hunt and you have a game that I had to force myself to finish.

Mario Kart Double Dash: This game is just broken. The AI is pretty cheap, and it doesn't really metter how good a racer you are, if you don't constantly get good items, you'll lose. The karts themselves seem to have little in the way of stat differences since you'll often see heavy weights like Bowser riding Toads behind within two seconds of leaving the starting line. The inability to look behind your kart is also sorely missed.

Roto13
12-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

I expected more from you. *flick*

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within disappointed me before it even came out because it was pretty easy to tell from the previews that it was a huge mess.

Rayman 3. Rayman 2 was pretty bitchin', but Rayman 3 was really mediocre.

Any Mega Man X game after 4.

I thought Beyond Good & Evil would be a lot better than it was, but it's still awesome so I don't care.

Every single Tekken game. :P

Baten Kaitos. It was ok, but the voice acting and the (mostly) cliched story and the horrible horrible pacing could all have been avoided.

Bunny
12-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Suikoden IV was pretty eh. With the amount of research and complete fanboying I did for Suikoden V, you would've expected me to have beaten it half a dozen times over. I have yet to beat it once. Halfway through! I just can't move myself to do anything in it. I have a castle.

Um. Final Fantasy X was pretty disappointing. Didn't finish that until about two years later or something. When was that released anyway?

LunarWeaver
12-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Tales of Legendia is another one that disappointed me on some levels...While I did enjoy the game and I've played it through twice, it took some major steps back when compared to Symphonia.

Grand Theft Auto III also disappointed me, but only kind of... I didn't really buy into the hype surrounding the game so much as I think it's just not my type of game. Hm, maybe not a disappointment as much as a bad choice to even go for.

Devil May Cry 2 ;_;

Roto13
12-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Oh, god, Tales of Legendia, right. How could I forget that? >_> Baby steps forward in music, giant leaps backwards in everything else.

Slicksword45
12-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Perfect dark: Zero. still gives me nightmares :(

The Fat Bioware Nerd
12-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Star Wars Episode III: The Game. I thought this game would be awesome after I saw the trailer but it didn't live up to the hype.

RiseToFall
12-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Grandia Xtreme

I just recently beat it. If it wasn't for the battle system, I would have stopped within the first few hours of play.

Shoeberto
12-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Resident Evil 0 was pretty suck.

Wolf Kanno
12-19-2006, 04:31 AM

Generally, when you can't stand a game so much that you actually thank the gods at its completion, you shouldn't be playing it to the point where you do complete it.

It's because I'm a masochist :D

Seriously, I kept playing waiting for it to get better. It had a few times when it started to look more promising (when you finally reach Zanarkand comes to mind) but it just never went in a direction that could hold my interest. I blame Yuna:mad2:

LunarWeaver
12-19-2006, 05:32 AM
Resident Evil 0 was pretty suck.

I liked 0 :jess:. Even if Rebecca does die when she gets sneezed on...and even though it didn't explain jack crap about much.

I sort of don't want to put this game in, but I'm going to anyway. I should say... I loved Metal Gear Solid 3 a lot. I really do. The ending is the best ending to any game ever in my opinion. But there were aspects of it that disappointed me. For one, I have the older version with the :skull::skull::skull::skull: camera that makes sure you can't see anything. And for a large portion of the game I found the plot to be...very good, but not as thrilling as the first two.

I think it was the lack of explanation for the Cobras and a huge cut on the Codec stuff. It gave me a large feeling that Kojima and company decided to cut down on a lot of plot threads, like villain backstories, to make the cutscenes less overbearing for whiney folk. But I love cutscenes, so yeah... I want huge codec conversations and lots of talking about how the Fear can go all spider because he had sex with Spider-Woman or whatever. Ah well...it still rocks, it's just aspects of it. Small aspects, that's all I'm saying.

But I actually liked a lot of what Final Fantasy X-2 had to offer, so as you can see my opinion is not really in sync with everybody else's and should not be listened to.

Wolf Kanno
12-19-2006, 06:12 AM
I don't know. I'm not sure you remember, but most of MGS2's plot was only told through Codec. It got annoying cause it just seemed lazy since MGS1 had a good ratio of Codec versus Cut-scene. It really got annoying cause you would see this wonderful scene and then the characters decide "We should talk on the codec cause it's more cost productive for Konami."

I was pretty disappointed in the lack of info on the Cobras as well but I felt the games was a bit more epic than the first two. It probably has to do with the Cold War being the backdrop. Especially in the 60's, during the Cuban Missle Crisis, both sides of the conflict thought the world would end in a nuclear holocaust any day now. There was a level of realism in it that was lacking in MGS2.

Araciel
12-19-2006, 11:28 AM
the obvious, suikoden IV...

god of war...i'm sure it's great, i just didn't get into it, i have no explanation

gauntlet : seven sorrows...i didn't EXPECT it to be amazing, but it was hyped pretty well, and i played through the game twice in an afternoon

grand theft auto 2, the one that took place in the future...how lame a sequel to such a fun game!

Slothy
12-19-2006, 01:36 PM
I'd just like to point out that MGS3 has more radio conversations than MGS2 had Codec conversations. Konami just did the smart thing and didn't force them on the player. I wasn't disappointed about the lack of info on the Cobras. I felt it explained all that was necessary to understand why they were there, and probably gave as much info as you got on some of the enemies in MGS1. Plus they were still the coolest boss fights in any game that isn't Shadow of the Colossus which helps make up for any lack of info.

Giga Guess
12-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Sword of Mana...I dunno...I just was expecting a bit more from it.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
12-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Batman: Vengeance I thought this game would be fun but...At the end of the day it's just another mediocre Batman game...I don't think the video game developers will ever create a good Batman game.