PDA

View Full Version : The Handheld War

The Fat Bioware Nerd
12-18-2006, 03:25 AM
Do you think Sony should pull the PSP off of the market? I do. The Playstation Portable is an interesting piece of hardware but the software is horrible! There are a few good games here and there but they're all remakes or ports of titles that were released years ago on the PS2 and PSOne.

Also Nintendo has sold more handhelds worldwide than Sony. The Handheld War is a little closer in the U.S. but that's nothing to get excited about in my opinion.

RiseToFall
12-18-2006, 03:44 AM
It doesn't need to be taken off the market, the PSP just needs more quality games.

Ryth
12-18-2006, 03:58 AM
It doesn't need to be taken off the market, the PSP just needs more quality games.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
12-18-2006, 03:59 AM
I don't think the PSP is going to get those quality games because Sony is probaby going to focus on the PS3 more, now that it's here...But that's just my opinion.

o_O
12-18-2006, 04:05 AM
The PSP is Sony's first handheld.

Nintendo have been making handhelds since Game & Watch started in 1980. It makes sense that they have sold more units.

Mirage
12-18-2006, 04:15 AM
War? What war?

NeoCracker
12-18-2006, 04:31 AM
As far as I can tell Sony's PSP is loosing miserably when compared to the DS and GBA. It shouldn't be pulled, as I'm sure it has at least one or two games worth buying.

Wolf Kanno
12-18-2006, 04:49 AM
The main problem with the PSP and possibly the PS3 is that Sony is losing touch with it's fanbase. You see, Sony doesn't want to sell you a game system, they want you have a portable entertainment center so they can control you through many different channels rather than just one.

You see, the reason why I never bought a PSP was cause Sony always talked about's it's other features outside of gaming. The PSP is not a game system to them, they are trying to branch out and appeal to a huge audiance at the expense of alienating the original people it should be for. When Sony starts treating the PSP and the PS3 as actually game systems and not the swiss army knife of electronics I'll start thinking about buying one.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
12-18-2006, 04:52 AM
Well I think Sony has made a half-ass attempt to enter the handheld gaming world...I mean sure they created a cool piece of hardware but they have yet to create cool pieces of software to complement it. Again this is just my opinion.

RisingPhoenix
12-18-2006, 05:24 AM
I think the price point may be hurting it also. I mean its the price of a PS2 either when it first came out or the first price drop. I see no signs of it coming down any anytime soon either.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
12-18-2006, 05:51 AM
I think the price point may be hurting it also. I mean its the price of a PS2 either when it first came out or the first price drop. I see no signs of it coming down any anytime soon either.

That's another reason why I bought a DS instead of a PSP...Also the DS has only been around for what three years, four years? I lost count anyway the DS already has a stellar back catalog of games.

JKTrix
12-18-2006, 12:56 PM
DS has been out since late 2004.

I don't think the PSP should be pulled off the market. I hope developers will make more quality games for it, instead of shovelling off bad ports of PS2 games. Sony won't pull PSP off the shelf anyway, because it's really not doing *that* bad--at least sales-wise. In fact it's doing pretty well, it sold over 400,000 units in the US last month. It's still selling on its 'cool factor', last month in particular was probably a big month for christmas shopping.

The system is still selling, Sony won't discontinue it. There are actually quite a few good games to get for the PSP if you have a PSP, but there isn't much there to say "I must have a PSP to play this game".

Pike
12-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the PSP has been selling relatively well. It's not the smashing success Sony would like it to be, and the DS is outselling it... but the PSP is still selling. It's not a flop or anything. So why would Sony pull something off the market that is still selling? That's just poor business.

/my two cents

escobert
12-18-2006, 03:09 PM
They need more quality games that's all. The DS has more good games out for it then the PSP does, or the good PSP games are games that are already out.

Vermachtnis
12-18-2006, 03:41 PM
I think the PSP is pretty good. It has Valkyrie Profile and the GTA Stories is a pretty decent series.

Craig
12-18-2006, 04:51 PM
This isn't a war; its an extermination. This is like humans fighting maggots. Or dragons fighting wolves. Or humans on dragons throwing wolves at maggots.

f f freak
12-18-2006, 05:04 PM
I have a PSP. It's a good handheld system. It isn't as great as the DS but it's still good. It has one or two good games like Tales of Eternia but it needs a few more decent games. They definetly should not bring it off the market. People are still buying them. My friend traded in his DS to get one and said he prefers the PSP. So no, I don't think they should take it off the market.

Eiko Guy
12-18-2006, 05:05 PM
PSP would be cool but sony doesn't seem to care about the games just about all the extra things that money can be made of.

Nintendo seems to care what they give you. the wii they worked hard on and thought how to make it interesting. Sony just Made a ps2 with a lot of extra power.
Pretty much nintendo has stolen my heart<3

Maxico
12-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Nintendo are better at everything because they "care about hardcore gamerz"tm.

Obviously.

Unlike Sony who are evil and stupid and would happily KILL YOU if they had the chance.

Giving massive corporations personalities and developing feelings of hate or trust towards them is justified and healthy!

Eiko Guy
12-18-2006, 07:08 PM
That is not what im saying mr Im gonna be an anus. What im saying is nintendo tries to be enjoyable Sony basically says bigger is better and doesnttry anything new.

JKTrix
12-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Jeez, don't take it so personally. It's just the internet.

Anyhow, the PSP is new for Sony, so you can't really say 'they never do anything new' :P

I think a big difference between Nintendo and the others is that Nintendo (and Sega) is a company that is entirely focused on video games. So while the Games division of Sony may have the same passionate outlook on videogames as Nintendo, it may be the bigwigs who look at the bottom line who may reject some of the more original/outlandish/risky ideas when it comes to hardware. So, Nintendo does risky things like: adding an analogue stick, adding interactive vibration, adding motion sensitive controls. Sony may have been thinking about it beforehand as well, but once the bigwigs see that Nintendo is successful at it they are gung-ho about adding it to their system.

It's the bigwigs that have Sony directed to a more market-driven approach. And the market believes that bigger is better--Sony just gives the market what it wants. Once it sees that the Market accepts Nintendo's way of doing things as well, we'll probably see more Nintendo-type decisions coming from them.

On topic though, the PSP isn't a complete failure. If you get it as a christmas gift or something, there are enough good games to make it enjoyable. Though if you're thinking about buying one, there are some things that money can be better spent on.

Maxico
12-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Huge over generalisation.

Sony has had it's share of innovative idea's, the Eye-Toy springs to mind, and it's share of innovative first party developers.

And it Nintendo pretty much ran on the "bigger is better" philosophy you pan so much untill it was apparant that, that approach wasn't working.

Nintendo came out last, last generation and suddenly decide to rethink their marketing strategy.
If Sony came out last, last generation or this generation, it makes financial sense to do the same.

These companys arn't doing anything for you, they're simply doing what makes financial sense

EDIT: Missed JXTrix there, just like to point out that Sega beat Nintendo to the analog stick on console deal. However it was for the Mega Drive/Genesis, big, only released in japan and only compatable with 3 games. The record still stands though.

LoveArya
12-19-2006, 02:26 AM
I dont think that they will, because even though Nintendo is making more in profits and such, PSP is the thing (along with a couple new hames everynow and then.) that still keeps it going.

As said among others, it just needs better gaming qualities.