PDA

View Full Version : The Weary Traveller?

Chemical
12-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Do you travel a lot? A little? Are you interested in travelling? Planning to travel in the near future? Where have you been? Where do you like to go? Where would you like to go? Why do you travel? Do you prefer travelling to rural or urban centers? Do you travel for relaxation? education? exploration? adventure? family? friends? How frequently do you travel?

--

I always thought of myself like the wind; that I was never ment to rest in one place and that my body was bound to flow through this world and that when obstacles present themselvs I could make a new path.

Travelling is my favoured past time. Change is my utter passion. Sometimes I enjoy sitting on the subway and taking it all day long, just looking at people and places. Car rides, bus rides, walking, airplanes... as long as I'm moving and going somewhere (new) I feel at ease.

I've been to:
The Yucutan Peninsula, Mexico
Orlando, Florida
New York, New York (three times)
Montreal, Quebec
Ottawa, Ontario
Moncton, New Brunswick

I'm going to:
Rotterdam, Holland (February)
New York, New York (February)
Montreal, Quebec (April)
Backpacking California (July)

Rocket Edge
12-18-2006, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't be to that extent, but i do love travelling. I think i will do alot of it when i'm older, and i do it for alot of reasons, mainly for my enjoyment & work. However when it comes to change i don't know anyone worse than myself, i hate it!

Jess
12-18-2006, 06:38 PM
I like to travel, but I haven't done much. Next year I plan on going to France with my boyfriend for 4 weeks, and to somewhere like Spain or Greece with my boyfriend and friends for 1 week. :jess:

Bunny
12-18-2006, 06:51 PM
I always thought of myself like the wind; that I was never ment to rest in one place and that my body was bound to flow through this world and that when obstacles present themselvs I could make a new path.

You put that in far better words than I ever could. That pretty much describes how I feel.

So far, I have only been inside the United States, but I would love more than anything to travel outside as much as possible.

North Carolina, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Illinois, Mississippi, and Maryland.

I would love more than anything to visit Scotland, Ireland, Australia, England, Alaska, Greenland, Iceland, and pretty much everywhere you could think of. Although I am not too big on Africa for some reason. /shrug

I want to take a road trip one of these days across the states. And then do a little backpacking sort of thing through Europe.

Sadly, I don't know if any of that will ever happen.

Strider
12-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Oh, man, I love seeing new places. I've got a touch of that wanderlust, every place I go is so new and so different from everywhere else.

The best part is that I'm worldwide: I've been all across the United States, from Los Angeles to Chicago to Orlando to Vegas, and then I've been to Mexico and England and seen a whole lot of continental Europe: Barcelona, Paris, Berlin, Prague, Vienna... and each place was great in its own way. My mom is making some plans to visit Australia late next year, but I'm not sure I could afford to go along... although you know I'd love to.

EDIT:

Oh, yeah, if you happen to roll through Yosemite while you're backpacking, Chem, you and I should hang out.

Zeldy
12-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Im going to scandinavia as soon as Im old enough.

Im not going to stay here all my life, I want to travel. See America, scandinavia, and more of europe.

Alas, I am too young just yet. The only places Ive been are Spain, Wales, and various places in England.

Rantz
12-18-2006, 07:50 PM
I've been to, in chronological order:
Riga, Latvia
Rügen, Germany
Crete, Greece
Scotland (Road trip)

Of course, I've been around a bit in Sweden as well, since that's where I live. :) I love travelling, especially to rural or semi-urban environments where there's not so much focus on tourism, and I hope to visit a lot of places, as much as there's time to visit.

One thing I would like to do is to make a hitchhiking trip, but the days of hitchhiking are to some extent over, or so I've heard.

The Captain
12-18-2006, 08:14 PM
I have the traveling bug as well.

I've been to every state on the East Coast, Texas, Colorado, Washington, California, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Arizona, Nevada and Oklahoma as well as Mexico City, Mexico, many cities in Canada, several islands in the Caribbean, and a few small countries in Central America.

Within the next couple of years I plan to tour Europe, Africa and Australia/New Zealand.

Take care all.

Avarice-ness
12-18-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm going to count moving as traveling, 'cause I've moved alot in my life because my dad's in the oilfield. We never lived anywhere outside the US, but since I grew up at a different house basically every year of my life, I tend to want to move to a new place every year because I get tired of my surroundings.

In a way, that's a wanderer more so than a traveller. :razz:

Jowy
12-18-2006, 08:25 PM
I haven't gotten to travel as much as I'd like to. I've been to Milwaukee, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Niagara Falls, and Buffalo. Nowhere really exciting.

Levian
12-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Sweden - Stockholm, Gøteborg, Gotland, lots of places in the west.
Denmark - Hirtshals, København, Bornholm
France - Paris
Spain - Torrevieja, Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura, Mallorca.
Russia - Moscow
Thailand - Bangkok, Koh Chang.

I'm not gonna die without having seen Italy, UK and USA. Well, unless you insist with a gun.

Old Manus
12-18-2006, 08:51 PM
The furthest away I've been is Venice :( I find globetrotting pretty meh. The wind and rain of the UK for me!

Zeldy
12-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Spain - Torrevieja

Oooh isnt Torrevieja lovely? Sorry, Ive just never met anyone else who's been there xD

Levian
12-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Spain - Torrevieja

Oooh isnt Torrevieja lovely? Sorry, Ive just never met anyone else who's been there xD

Yeah, it's really nice, but in some areas there's more Scandinavians/Brits than Spanish people. xD There's many of 'em anyway, and the number is growing. :D My sister lived there, and she lived there for free because she was guarding a house from someone's ex-husband. I remember diving there and a fish swam right into my goggles! It was so freaky, and I jumped like hell. It was almost like a Jaws movie, I tell ya. :mog:

yumi
12-18-2006, 09:13 PM
My Dad was in the army so most of my youth was spent here there and everywhere, with the Falkland islands being the farthest i've travelled. It was a hole.

I'm hoping to go to either New York or Kracow next spring for a joint 21st with me and my 2 flatmates. Which destination will depend in the finances as my budget for accomadation is free.

:kaoyatta:

Xander
12-18-2006, 09:43 PM
I like home, but I would like to go to Sweden, Tokyo and Manchester. :D

Mitch
12-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Travelling sucks at the moment but in a few levels I'll have my mount which gives me 150% movement speed.

Loony BoB
12-18-2006, 09:50 PM
I've been to...
Every town in the North Island of New Zealand.
London, York, Newcastle and other English towns/cities I can't remember along the way.
Most major towns in Scotland, and all major cities.
Pretty much all the way up and down Wales, excluding Cardiff.
Dublin, Ireland.
Buccholz & Hamburg, Germany.
Los Angeles, San Luis Obispo, Los Osos, all California.

I plan on taking Danielle to France or Italy sometime over the next year or so, although that all depends on cash. Eventually, I'll be returning to NZ to live. I also hope to someday travel back to California.

I enjoy travelling when I do it, but it's a rather expensive thing to do, so I haven't done it very often at all in recent years - I think my last international flight was in 2003.

I think I'm one of the only people I know who has no interest whatsoever in going to Spain.

Rocket Edge
12-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Spain - Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura
The party islands! I was to Gran Canaria, good place to be.

The places i've been to are:
Florida - Orlando, Miami
Spain - Gran Canaria, Tenerife, Lanzarote
Portugal - Algarve
Germany - Munich
Austria - Vienna
France - Paris (Then down to Marseille)
Holland - Amsterdam
Cameroons (Africa)
England, Wales, Northern Ireland & Scotland - Belfast, Swansea city, London, Cambridge, Glasgow, Manchester & Liverpool

escobert
12-18-2006, 11:23 PM
I've been to Montreal Canada
Paris France
Amsterdam The Netherlands
Austria
Germany
Switzerland
Rome, Florance, Venice Italy
New Zealand
Australia
And I went to Tazmania :D
Antigua
my parents have been down the Amazon and the china, japan, south Korea and Mongolia also. oh and several other European countrys.

I think we want to go to Egypt next ^_^ *I hope!!!!!!*

VengefulRonin
12-18-2006, 11:40 PM
We took alot of road trips when i was little, but i've never been outta country. States i've been to are: Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington DC (okay, technically it's not a state or a city, whatever), Maryland, Indiana, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi (i hate that name), Arkansas, Missouri, Illiniois, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Utah.

Damn, thats alot of states O_O

Countries i wanna go to are: Japan, Germany, England, Greece, and Singapore (not really a country but whatever).

~*~Celes~*~
12-18-2006, 11:45 PM
I've been to these states: Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, Tenessee, Pennsylvania, and New York. In March, I'm going to New York again in March, and as for countries, I've been only to Canada twice. However, once I'm married, I'll be visiting England and probably France =]

I really want to go to: Poland, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, England, and France ^^

Miriel
12-18-2006, 11:47 PM
I don't travel a lot but I really really really want to. :(

It's weird though cause my parents travel a buttload. They've been everywhere from Egypt to Brazil to Alaska, but they never took me or my brother along. :(

Anyway the places I've visited:
South Korea
Hawaii
New York
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Virgina
Maryland
Nevada
Mexico
Arizona

I really want to visit Europe, or maybe even live there awhile. A lot of my friends have gone off to study abroad and I'd like to do the same but... I'm kind of scared of leaving home. Extended vacations in Europe would be nice.

My plan is to retire when I'm 40 and then spend the rest of my life traveling the world and taking photographs and possibly publish a coffee table book of photos. I think that would be amazing. :)

Shiny
12-19-2006, 12:20 AM
Do you travel a lot? A little? No, not really although I try to go somewhere different atleast once a year. My skin gets pale if I don't. >.<

Are you interested in travelling?
Places of interest:
Barcelona
Brazil
Jamaica
Japan

Planning to travel in the near future? Since my family won a trip to Mexico recently we're going there sometime this summer.

Where have you been?
Well some of them are...
Florida- Mostly for the theme parks, but family is there too. The downside is that it's very crowded during the summer. It rained way too much also. I felt like a was in Seattle, or something.
Virginia- The bugs were gross, but the water cruising was fun...until the alligators showed up.
Georgia- Southerns are cute and amusing. My family and I saw some stereotypical hillbillies walking around barefoot in overalls. :jess:
Barbados- Fantastic weather, waters, sand and some of the prettiest coral rock of I've ever seen. It was rainbow colored.

Why do you travel? For leisure and family reasons.

Do you prefer travelling to rural or urban centers? Rural, because it's quieter and the people residing there seem much more down-to-earth.

Savern Volaco
12-19-2006, 12:22 AM
All Around the world anyplace I feel like going I guess, It depends on my mood. but I really don't remember the places I have been.

Rocket Edge
12-19-2006, 12:42 AM
I've been to...Dublin, Ireland.
How did you find Dublin to be?

Loony BoB
12-19-2006, 12:45 AM
Disappointing. I went there at a bad time. It was very wet and in the middle of the debate over whether or not to join the EU, and the entire place looked despondant. Personally, I'd not go again unless I was going somewhere else at the time and it was close by.

Of course, you have to keep in mind that I come from New Zealand, which is unbeatable as far as I've seen with regards to nature, and live in Edinburgh, which is the most beautiful "old city" I've seen to date.

Citizen Bleys
12-19-2006, 04:20 AM
I've never left Canada. I lived in Camrose, Alberta for 15 years, and made trips to Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer, and Banff amongst the "big name" places (as well as lots of lesser-known Albertan places like Bawlf, Daysland, New Minas, Wetaskiwin, Leduc, and (briefly) Lac La Biche)

On the East coast, I've lived in Halifax and Moncton, and been to Miramichi (which I still privately call Chatham), Saint John, Fredericton (born there), Rogersville, Nigouac, Newcastle, Grand Manan within New Brunswick, and Windsor, Brooklyn, Bridgewater, Truro, Amherst, and Avondale in Nova Scotia.

I've never been to PEI or Newfoundland, and the only time I've been in Ontario or Quebec was airport stopovers (I like it that way). I've also seen Winnipeg, and have never gone to Saskatchewan or the Territories, thankfully. I've also never been to BC, although I'd like to visit Hongcouver.

If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd move back to Halifax in a heartbeat--as far as I'm concerned, it's the grandest place on Earth. The only places outside of Canada that I really want to see are Kiev (Ukraine), Tokyo (Japan), Sekigahara (Japan), and Kamifurano (also Japan)

Yuffie514
12-19-2006, 04:26 AM
i like to travel, and my family is very outgoing, including myself.

California...
it's an occassional roadtrip by the end of the year to visit relatives.

Vietnam/Cambodia...
my whole family spent about 3 weeks in Vietnam with my mom's older brother, and a week in Cambodia with her older sister.

China...
it was an 8-day trip. this is the last whole family trip.

Thailand/Singapore/Malaysia...
i was there just a few months ago, with everyone in my family, except my older brother. fabulous.

Leen-Leen
12-19-2006, 04:33 AM
My mom and dad both have had jobs that made us move around a lot to different places. And while we were in those places, we visited other places. Hmm, I can't exactly remember all the places we've been to ...

I've visited most of the United States states, but I've lived in California.
I've lived in Japan for four years.
I've visited Korea twice.
I lived in Austria for two years.
I've visited Germany, Italy, and Hungary a lot of times.
I've visited Croatia, Slovakia, Czech Republic only once or twice.
And I'm living in Mexico for two years.

I think ... I'm pretty sure there's a few more countries :p

Mum
12-19-2006, 04:35 AM
I LOVE to travel and am frustrated being stuck over here (in NZ) unable to afford to do so for a while!

I've been to:

Australia (3 x)
Solomon Islands
Vanuatu
Fiji
Thailand (2 x)
England (3 yrs)
Ireland
Scotland (4 yrs)
Wales
France (4 x )
Germany (2 x)
Czech Republic
Hungary
Netherlands (2 x)
Slovakia
Poland
Morocco
America (transit only unfortunately so far)
Singapore (transit only)
Spain
Italy
Austria (2 x)
Belgium (2 x)

So as you can see I only just got started and I had to leave and come home to NZ to be a granny! I miss the UK and can't wait to get back there. You certainlty can't go to the Continent for the weekend from NZ!! Europe is so interesting and full of history and fascinating places and buildings. I'm pleased that I stayed long enough to get my EU passport, so I can now live/work in other European countries as well.

I LIVE to travel!

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Do you travel a lot? A little? Roughly about a holiday a year. I don't know how that compares with other people

Are you interested in travelling?
Places of interest:
Berlin and Paris (I'm a city man)

Planning to travel in the near future? No

Where have you been?
Cities - New York, Washington
Countries - Switzerland, France, Italy, Mauritius, Ireland, Spain

Why do you travel? Holidays

Do you prefer travelling to rural or urban centers? Urban.

Araciel
12-19-2006, 10:32 AM
i like to think i was born to travel...just haven't done much of it yet

i've traveled around my great white country a lot...been to every province and territory a few times...i've been to a couple of the northern states, but i'm planning on traveling the states probably in the summer...i'm getting bored here

after that i want to go backpack europe, and see my mom's home scotland and then maybe aussieland i think....who knows

Christmas
12-19-2006, 11:59 AM
I wanna go to Midgar, Spira, Esthar, Vector, Zozo, jidoor, Deling City, Balamb Garden and a lot lot more!!! :bigsmile:

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-19-2006, 12:18 PM
I haven't done much traveling though I want to do some when I get the chance, maybe study abroad.

Okay, so far I have been to:

New Brunswick
Campbellton area (born and raised)
Dalhousie/Charlo area
Bathurst
Shediac
Miramichi
Moncton
Sussex Corner
St. Andrews
St. John
Fredericton
Woodstock
Grand Falls
Edsmunton
St Quentain
St Leonard
Kedgewick
Okay, so most of the little towns in northern NB, some of them been in extensively, other for pit stop or just driving through them often.

The thing about NB is that even though I lived way up north, everything was at most five hours drive away.

PEI
Cavendish

Québec
Matapedia
The Gaspé coast (drove through there a few times with parents to pass the day)
Québec City
Sherbrooke
Montréal (currently live)

Ontario
Toronto
Aurora
Stratford
Ottawa

Newfoundland and Labrador
St. John's

For Canada that is it. The only bit I have been outside of Canada was a little in Maine along the NB border like Caribou and that.

Araciel
12-19-2006, 11:17 PM
yes travel canada!!! everyone should!

Endless
12-20-2006, 08:15 AM
I've been to:

- places all over France, obviously.
- the USA (not counting transit airports):
-- Washington DC
-- Memphis, TN
-- The Smokies & Dollywood, TN also
-- Vicksburg, MS
-- Ft Worth, TX
- Morocco:
-- Al Hoceima
-- Marrakech
-- Essaouira
- Greece:
-- Athens
-- Delphi
- Italy: Venice
- Netherlands:
-- Amsterdam
-- Rotterdam
- England: London
- Spain: Monte Perdido & surroundings
- Germany:
-- Bonn
-- Gelsenkirchen & Köln
- Norway: Trondheim

I'm hoping to go to Vienna this summer.

Also, BoB, come to France, you know you want it. I promise not to stalk. :angel: