PDA

View Full Version : Bells and whistles

Roto13
12-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Do you ever bother to use the extra stuff in your consoles, like DVD and CD players? I have too many DVD players as it is. Though, my PS2 is used and when I did try to play a DVD, the parental controls were on and I didn't have the password to change them. :P I usually watch DVDs on my laptop anyway. I don't think I've ever used any of my console CD players. I don't even remember the last time I used a CD player at all. :P mp3s for the win.

LunarWeaver
12-18-2006, 07:41 PM
I used to use my Ps2 as a DVD player a long time ago, like 2 systems ago, and then by the time they both broke and I bought another one I was well into the era of download everything already. So now I have no need for a DVD player of any kind.

I've never used it to play a CD. I just use it for games...That's really all I want it for. I never wanted my game consoles to be my fridge and my toilet, but game companies seem intent on making them everything at once so whatever I guess :jess:.

XxSephirothxX
12-18-2006, 07:42 PM
I think it's a little silly to call a CD or DVD player an add-on feature, since most games are stored on said media devices. It makes sense to me that any console nowadays should feature the ability to read the kinds of discs you can put in them, even if they're not games. :p I use my 360 to play DVDs for a couple reasons: someone stole my DVD player a year ago, and I can watch them in HD via the 360 anyway, so it's better than using a normal DVD player (unless I bought an HDMI DVD player, in which case it would be superior). I also quite frequently stream music from my computer over my network to my 360 when I'm playing games. I don't know if you'd call that a bell and/or whistle, but it's a good feature for a console, since Sony and Microsoft are both pushing to me the "media center" of the living room.

Bahamut2000X
12-18-2006, 07:42 PM
I used my original PS1 back when I wanted to listen to my one CD which was very rarely. Eventually I just got a real CD player. It worked better anyways. Same with the DVD player. My PS2 would lag so much to play it, and it was so annoying to figure out the controls on the controller to pause it and all that sort of stuff. :mad:

Yuffie514
12-19-2006, 06:09 AM
yup, i have used the PS2 to watch DVDs and listen to audio when, before i had a DVD player. i still use it to watch most DVDs.

RiseToFall
12-19-2006, 07:46 AM
I used to play DVD's on my old PS2, then I noticed that the more I play DVD's on it, the system started having more and more disc read error problems. I stopped, but by that time, it was too late. Now I only watch them on my DVD player and keep the movies away from the consoles.

Meat Puppet
12-19-2006, 08:14 AM
I listened to an MP3 on my PSP once. I also use it to store a JPEG of my father.

Araciel
12-19-2006, 10:49 AM
i always use my consoles as dvd players...i never bought a standalone dvd player, so why would i bother when i have a console that can do it? no point spending unnecessary dollars....

i think that if the bluray takes off...(though i can't see it) that the PS3 would be the best choice for me, since bluray players are at least $1 000.00 CDN right now

Little Blue
12-19-2006, 11:55 AM
I used my PS2 for watching DVDs cos the cinema thingy software on my PC was crap, then I got my laptop and I now use that for watching DVDs. Never used my console for listening to CDs. Didn't see the point since I could run it through my PC or on a stereo...

Nominus Experse
12-19-2006, 07:37 PM
The PS2's fan creates a din while on; thus, I use a nice, quiet, neatly packaged DVD player to play my DVDs. That, or my noiseless computer.

PS2 plays PS2 games, that's it. If it does anything else, I beat it mercilessly for stepping out of bounds.

I won't use it, but those features better well damned be there so that if on some blue moon I feel like I want to, I can. Just so I can resort to using the other device anyways. But I want them there all the same.

But that's just ludicrous, American me.

KentaRawr!
12-19-2006, 07:44 PM
I used to use my Ps2 as a DVD Player, but I don't anymore.

JKTrix
12-19-2006, 08:06 PM
I use my 360 for DVDs currently, since my whole gaming setup is in my bedroom. The real DVD player is out in the living room, but my room has a much, much better home theatre setup. Plus, I have a remote than can control almost everything remote-controllable in my room, and it matches with the 360, so it fits. I use my laptop for other stuff, so if I want to watch a DVD i'll do it on the larger widescreen tv with my surround sound and junk. Before the 360, I used the PS2 or Xbox occasionally, but at that time I used my laptop more for DVD playin'.

As far as other extra stuff goes: I downloaded the Forecast Channel on my Wii this morning, It's a nifty feature, but the blatant lack of 'Bermuda' makes it mostly useless. It is fun to grab the globe and send it spinning, though.

Shoeberto
12-19-2006, 09:20 PM
I got my PS1 before I got any sort of CD player, so I'd use it to play my sister's Backstreet Boys and Ricky Martin CDs. (this was all quite some time ago; about two months at least)

I don't use my PS2 for DVDs. I have an actual DVD player for that.