PDA

View Full Version : A feat of immense co-ordination.

Vincent, Thunder God
12-19-2006, 12:26 AM
So today, in class, my teacher asked me at a quiet moment if I thought I was a co-ordinated person. I replied "Yes, definetly." So asked me to join him over at the chalkboard and asked me to draw a circle. I did so, and he said "No problem, right?"

Then he asked me to draw a square. I did so, and again he repeated "No problem, right?

But then, he asked me to draw both a circle and square at the same (one with each hand). I thought it might be a bit of a challenge, but that I would probably be able to do it. When I attempted it, I found that it was actually impossible for me to do. All of the other class members found it impossible as well; one guy managed a decent circle and a deformed square, but that was the best anyone could manage.

Topic: So I'm asking you all, Eoffers, can you do this? Now normally the best way to do this would be with two peices of chalk on a chalkboard like I attempted, but hopefully you'll find a way to do it with regular drawing impliments on paper. After you do so, tell us how well you did, and if you have the time and ability to post your picture with a scanner and an uploading site, please do so.

You can try as many times as you want, but don't cheat!

EDIT: The square and circle have to be seperate, and you have to use both hands, or it's too easy.

Rocket Edge
12-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Good question, i'll give it a try.

Savern Volaco
12-19-2006, 12:31 AM
Done it make teh square and circle one... as in one line...I canot explain it no better than that make the square and circle one...yesh.

Vincent, Thunder God
12-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Done it make teh square and circle one... as in one line...I canot explain it no better than that make the square and circle one...yesh.

I think I know what you mean. I just edited my post in realization that the way you did it, by combining the two, is probably too easy.

Avarice-ness
12-19-2006, 12:33 AM
I can! Doing it slowly though. :)

Oh wait, I thought we meant draw a circle with one hand and a square with another right?

Vincent, Thunder God
12-19-2006, 12:38 AM
I can! Doing it slowly though. :)

Oh wait, I thought we meant draw a circle with one hand and a square with another right?

Yes, that's it.

Tavrobel
12-19-2006, 12:38 AM
It's dawned on me quite clearly that your teacher has never learned basic Geometry.

Ohh, the American public school system.

EDIT: Ohh, you mean using both the left hand and the right hand? That's entirely possible.

ADDITION: Two tries. I don't have a scanner, but it can be done.

Loony BoB
12-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Slightly wriggly circle, but yeah, it can be done. I find it easier when I don't concentrate on the circle at all. Obviously it wasn't a perfect circle, though. But it joined at the right area and it was close to the same height and width.

LunarWeaver
12-19-2006, 02:40 AM
Mine sort of look like...a Kindergarten class vomited some shapes onto a page. Well, I already knew I wasn't coordinated, but I'll file this proof away.

Edit: I'm too lazy to try it more than once, so that could be my problem.

LoveArya
12-19-2006, 02:44 AM
Darn it :(:(
Sadly, since I have a habit to do stuff until I get it right, Ill have to do it until I can:):) lol

Spammerman
12-19-2006, 02:55 AM
Just do it in 4ths. Do a line on the square while drawing a 4th of the circle. Rinse and repeat.

Tavrobel
12-19-2006, 02:58 AM
Surprisingly enough, doing it in sections makes it slightly harder.

Little Blue
12-19-2006, 12:42 PM
I really can't do this at all. They both end up looking like some freaky square that existed before 90 degree angles were discovered (ie, no corners :()...

I blame my left hand, its awful at most things...

LoveArya
12-19-2006, 01:36 PM
I did it:) the circle looks little wriggly, but the square is good.

Twilight Edge
12-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Two tries. easy job. ;) The circle is a little like an egg, but the sqaure is good.

sephirothishere
12-19-2006, 10:48 PM
first time baby....i rox0rz....nahhh....im pretty close to 100% ambidextrous for one...and i have honed my coordination for a good while....

Araciel
12-19-2006, 11:02 PM
i used to be ambidextrous...i sure as heck can't do it though

Vincent, Thunder God
12-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Wow, I'm surprised at how many are able to do this in such a small amount of tries. Maybe I gave up too easily, or maybe I would find it easier on paper, even though I thought it might be harder.

Mirage
12-20-2006, 05:46 PM
I doubt it has anything to do with amibidextrousity to do. It's not that you're bad at using one of the hands, it's that the brain has trouble concentrating on two different shapes at once.

Mine look horrible, but they are definitely a square and a circle.

Araciel
12-20-2006, 10:14 PM
well when trying just to sign my name i have to concentrate not to accidently stab myself in the eye heheh so yah

Evastio
12-20-2006, 10:31 PM
I failed at this miserably. :(

oddler
12-20-2006, 11:20 PM
I, too, can make a decent square and a decent circle at the same time.
It instantly becomes challenging, however, when you try to do so in under a second. :Oo:

Vincent, Thunder God
12-21-2006, 11:49 PM
I doubt it has anything to do with amibidextrousity to do. It's not that you're bad at using one of the hands, it's that the brain has trouble concentrating on two different shapes at once.

Yes, that's what the teacher said, and I agree. Being ambidextrous probably helps, but it's largely the difficulty of concentrating on both shapes at once that makes it so difficult. The teacher said it was impossible, and if you try to do it quickly, it probably is.

Maybe the others are finding it possible by doing it slowly, like Odd Eye.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-21-2006, 11:51 PM
I don't have a blackboard so I drew all over the wallpaper and got grounded. Seriously, I was at college on Tuesday when I read this thread and I forgot to try it :(

Anaisa
12-22-2006, 09:01 PM

Yes, that's what the teacher said, and I agree. Being ambidextrous probably helps, but it's largely the difficulty of concentrating on both shapes at once that makes it so difficult. The teacher said it was impossible, and if you try to do it quickly, it probably is.

Since ambidextrous people use both hands an both sides of their brain more frequently, it will be easier for them. An they may alternate between hands when drawing usually. Where as somebody who is dominant with one hand won't. So they'll have a lesser ability at even drawing with one of the hands. I can do it. I didn't find it difficult at all when I drew the square on the left, an the circle on the right. I managed to make a good circle an square first try. But when I tried it the other way round, I couldn't do it.

Pike
12-22-2006, 09:13 PM
I did it just now, even though the square wound up looking like a rectangle. But the shapes are fairly smooth otherwise. The way I did it was by making a few circular movements with my hand that was drawing the circle before I started... as a "warm up" so to speak.

Tavrobel
12-22-2006, 09:13 PM

I'll be honest, it didn't take me that long, and is far from impossible.

While ambidexstrosity is a bonus (and a very large bonus, indeed), there's two major factors in this challenge. How often do you use your non-dominant hand, and can you focus on more than one thing at a time?

It all depends on your personal talents, and coordination. I suck at coordination, but I can focus on more than one thing at a time. In some ways, this is similar to patting your head with one hand, and rubbing your stomach with the other.

Then again, I write pretty frequently with my left hand, just for kicks. People say my handwriting sucks, and when they see my left hand, they say it's like a third grader's handwriting, but it's by far more legible.

Chances are, you'll find doing the square easier on the non-dominant hand, since you can stop to catch a break while the circle is still moving.

snacks
12-22-2006, 11:02 PM
YOU CAN"T DO IT
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o140/tehstupidskt/wtf.jpg

oddler
12-23-2006, 12:33 AM
I made everyone at work try this preceded with the introductory question "Wanna look stupid?". No winners.

Samuraid
12-23-2006, 01:07 AM
Pretty easy. First try.

You just have to draw them at exactly the same speed, and each quadrant at the same speed. :)

I don't know if this will help, but I am right handed, drew the square with my right hand and the circle with my left. I used 2 dry-erase markers and a whiteboard.