PDA

View Full Version : Enterprising!

Strider
12-19-2006, 04:57 AM
When was the last time any of you guys ran any kind of business? Lemonade stand, eBaying, maybe watching your parents' shop or something, you name it.

The last enterprise I can remember running was babysitting. Because, yeah, that's kind of a business. Beyond that, whenever I make a card I have a kind of joke corporation I came up with: Please-Forget-Me Inc.

Christmas
12-19-2006, 05:50 AM
I alway wanted to run a company like the Shinra. :(

Miriel
12-19-2006, 05:50 AM
Well. At this very moment I'm taking a break from editing a couple hundred photos from a wedding. :p

I started this whole wedding photography business last year. It's hard right now because it seems pretty impossible to balance being a full-time student, having a social life, and trying to maintain an independent business.

My parents have always been entrepreneurs. My Mom has started and successfully ran a good number of different businesses. My Dad is majorly into buying and selling real estate. My brother started his own company when he was 19 (he sells performance car parts) and I started this photography buisness when I was 19 also. I enjoy photography and it's something I can see myself doing for a long time, in some form or another. The business part of it is HARD though. Very very hard. People seem to be under the impression that anyone can just get paid to take pictures and it's easy as pie, but it's not. There's so much to consider and even with digital photography, there's a lot of overhead involved. And oh man, y'all don't even want to know how much work goes into designing and putting together a huge leather matte album.

It beats working for other people though.

My whole family has a thing for being our own bosses. :)

My main focus right now is to branch out into portrait and child photography. I love kids! Hopefully I'll be able to design some new marketing material for that stuff this week...

Spatvark
12-19-2006, 07:06 AM
I used to sell LEGO toys on eBay for a while; but frankly the demand got too high and I was busting my arse to get it all done, along with my full-time job and other responsibilities. Murphy's Trading Post is the company name I've always used, a silly joke. My dad's is the Tintagel Extraction Company, and I bet no one gets that joke XD

My main focus right now is to branch out into portrait and child photography. I love kids!

Totally misread that as something highly inappropriate ^^

Yamaneko
12-19-2006, 07:09 AM
I don't mind working for the state. I plan to make my job only part of my life anyway.

Renmiri
12-19-2006, 07:10 AM
I sold plants and other stuff on ebay. Consulting services when I left the corporate world to be a mom full time. Some other odds and ends...

But the most fun was me and my 3 BFFs selling Raffle tickets to the cute guys on a state fair looooong ago... It was perfect: We got their phone number and if they were nice enough and cute enough wed give ours too... I think I spent at least 6-8 months without having to find dates for weekends :D

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-19-2006, 07:10 AM
The last time I did something like that was when I was in Junior Achievements. It was a good experience. Did picture frames in grade 9, pop corn spice in grade 10 and I forget what in grade 11. My final year due to funding they did not have it.

Araciel
12-19-2006, 10:35 AM
'cause i'm workin for the maaAN, workin for the maaAN....'

i used to have a business installing home heating ducts in new houses....i did ok financially but construction suckx so i gave it up

now i'm a bartender...good change but...man the pay is hard to get used to!

Rusty
12-19-2006, 10:39 AM
My mum was heavily into eBayer a few years back. I was a big part in that. I didn't enjoy it all that much. But eBayer these days in fun. I've also done a lot of dog-walking for various people, but never for money. I enjoy it. So it's not really a business.

Running you're own business sounds really rewarding, if you have a specific talent like photography.

Rantz
12-19-2006, 10:50 AM
I ran a company together with a friend for a while, but we were too inexperienced to know how and where to begin. We decided that we might be better off on our own, although we might try again when we can fill our shoes a bit better. Anyway, we were (and I am) working with graphic design, web design, game creation, photography and stuff like that.