PDA

View Full Version : Cartoon legend Barbera dies at 95

Odaisé Gaelach
12-20-2006, 12:00 AM
:(

Cartoon legend Barbera dies at 95

Joseph Barbera received a lifetime achievement award from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences in LA (Sept 1996)
Hanna and Barbera won seven Academy Awards for Tom and Jerry
Joseph Barbera, one half of the team behind such cartoon classics as The Flintstones, Yogi Bear, Scooby-Doo and Huckleberry Hound, has died, aged 95.

He died of natural causes at home with his wife, Sheila, at his side.

With William Hanna, Barbera founded Hanna-Barbera in the 1950s, after the pair had earlier worked on the Tom and Jerry cartoons at MGM studios.

"Joe will live on through his work," said Warner Brothers chairman and chief executive Barry Meyer.

"The characters he created with his late partner, William Hanna, are not only animated superstars but also a very beloved part of American pop culture," Mr Meyer said.

Cat and mouse collaboration

Barbera grew up in Brooklyn, New York and started to pursue a career in banking.

But his amateur sketches soon became the raw material for cartoons which were published in Collier's magazine, a breakthrough which then took him into animation.

He met Hanna at the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer film studio, where they collaborated on a 1937 cartoon called Puss Gets the Boot, which led to the creation of cat-and-mouse duo Tom and Jerry.

Their 17-year partnership on the Tom and Jerry series resulted in seven Academy Awards and 14 nominations in total.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6191999.stm

LunarWeaver
12-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Oh man, my childhood.

That's so sad :cry:

Tavrobel
12-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Oh man, my childhood.

There goes mine, too.

LoveArya
12-20-2006, 12:24 AM
OMG! you cant be serious! now MY childhood is ruined TOO! *cries* well, life goes on, and he did good in his life

Rocket Edge
12-20-2006, 12:25 AM
That's sad..

Ryth
12-20-2006, 01:02 AM

He lived a good, long life and brought entertainment to an uncountable number of people. At least he died of natural causes with someone he loved. Thanks a million, Joe. :)

Nominus Experse
12-20-2006, 01:14 AM
I find it touching that his wife was there - not everyone has the fortune of passing into the nether with someone who cares deeply for you at your side.

LazarCotoron
12-20-2006, 01:25 AM
It's not quite the same howling black void I felt when I heard Chuck Jones died...

But it's a lonelier, worse place now, for sure.

escobert
12-20-2006, 02:24 AM
Why's it so sad? He lived to be 95 years old, died of old age and had a good life. Yes it sucks that he died but hey guess what, everyone dies!

Spammerman
12-20-2006, 02:33 AM
Oh man, my childhood.

There goes mine, too.

White Raven
12-20-2006, 04:16 AM

RIP Joseph Barbera

To think that if he didn't exist the following shows (and countless others) wouldn't exist:

~ The Jetsons
~ The Flintstones
~ Yogi Bear
~ Scooby-Doo
~ Wacky Races
~ Dexter's Laboratory
~ Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
~ Sealab 2021
~ Space Ghost: Coast to Coast
~ The Brak Show

:cry:

Madame Adequate
12-20-2006, 04:27 AM
I find it touching that his wife was there - not everyone has the fortune of passing into the nether with someone who cares deeply for you at your side.

Everyone dies alone. Alone and afraid.

Shlup
12-20-2006, 04:38 AM
;_____________;

When I was a lass I visited his office with my family. It was full of toys and he was really nice and took a picture with us, and gave me and my cousins presents, one of which is the prize of one of my collections.

I am sad. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/ShlupQuack/pandas/sad.gif

Nominus Experse
12-20-2006, 10:40 AM

Everyone dies alone. Alone and afraid.
I wouldn't say so, and you knew what I meant, MILF...
But this isn't the place to debate such things.

NINJA_Ryu
12-20-2006, 02:15 PM

The golden age of cartoons has passed.

Now we can only sit and watch in horror of the sappy, and terrible shows from anime to low budget kid shows.....

I fear for us all

Shlup
12-20-2006, 06:43 PM

The golden age of cartoons has passed.

Now we can only sit and watch in horror of the sappy, and terrible shows from anime to low budget kid shows.....

I fear for us all

Yes, we will all miss the quality and non-repetative programming such as The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan, The Arabian Knights, Atom Ant, Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy, Autocat and Motormouse, Birdman, The Blue Falcon, Breezly and Sneezly, The Buford Files, Captain Caveman, The Cattanooga Cats, Dino Boy in the Lost Valley, Drak Pack, Dynomutt, Fish Police, Frankenstein Jr., The Funky Phantom, The Great Grape Ape, The Herculoids, Hillbilly Bears, Hokey Wolf, The Impossibles, Inch High, Private Eye, It's the Wolf, Jabberjaw, Josie and the Pussycats, Kwicky Koala, Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har Har, Loopy de Loop, Magilla Gorilla, The Mighty Mightor, Motormouse and Autocat, Mr. and Mrs. J. Evil Scientist, Mushmouse and Punkin Puss, The Perils of Penelope Pitstop, Peter Potamus, Pixie and Dixie, Punkin' Puss and Mushmouse, Quick-Draw McGraw, Ricochet Rabbit, The Roman Holidays, Ruff and Reddy, Samson and Goliath, Shazzan, Sinbad Jr., Snagglepuss, Snooper and Blabber, Space Ghost, Speed Buggy, Spike and Tyke, Squiddly Diddly, Stop That Pigeon!, The Thing, Top Cat, Touché Turtle, Wacky Races, Wally Gator, Where's Huddles?, Winsome Witch, Yakky Doodle, and Young Samson.

The Golden Age of not cranking out low-budget crap is truely at an end.