PDA

View Full Version : Virus Scan

abrojtm
12-20-2006, 03:44 AM
Anyone know any free virus scans that actually will get rid of the viruses once it finds them?

I've got some pretty serious Malware goin on in my comp.

Roto13
12-20-2006, 04:01 AM
AVG Free edition.

crono_logical
12-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Antivirus scanners may not remove some malware though, since they're a different ball game :p But they're still good to have for most users :p

ValiantKnight
12-20-2006, 10:36 PM
Well a little tired and sleepy, but from memory:

AVG free kinda recently got a version change, and may be a little more potent now. Though its been a long time since i've encountered a true virus to test it on. More frequently I run into vundo/smitfraud.. which require third party cleaners.

Typically it seems my friends/family are infected with spyware rather than viruses these days.

Adaware SE from lavasoft and the VX2 add on cleaner i believe its called.

AVG Antispyware(30 day trial i believe still, used to be Ewido, but was bought out)

AVG Free

If none of those crack what you've got, I'd research some antispyware forums like spywareinfo, and ask them for help. There are many small third-party programs in development to target and combat specific stronger malware that the big suite programs have trouble removing.

Do you have any errors or information on the malware? symptoms.. etc.

Smitfraud is renowned for imitating Windows update and downloading Fraudlent antispware programs that it wants you to buy.

Nominus Experse
12-21-2006, 10:36 AM
To really get rid of everything that is on your computer, I would advise downloading a program called HiJackThis.

Once you have such a program, head on over to a specialized forum that deals with malware and the like, such as Techguysupport or some such place. Sometimes you will need to download several programs, but in a time period of two or so days, you'll be rid of EVERYTHING malicious on your computer.

o_O
12-21-2006, 10:57 AM
To really get rid of everything that is on your computer, I would advise downloading a program called HiJackThis.

Once you have such a program, head on over to a specialized forum that deals with malware and the like, such as Techguysupport or some such place. Sometimes you will need to download several programs, but in a time period of two or so days, you'll be rid of EVERYTHING malicious on your computer.

HijackThis! is effective if used correctly. The problem is that it's a lot more difficult to use, and a lot more dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. I recommend using it if nothing else you try gets rid of whatever mal/spy/adware or virus you have.

Really, all anyone should need to be pretty safe is Ad Aware and an antivirus. Preferably one that's under GPL, like ClamAV. :p

But realistically, if you're not cool with virii, install Linux. :)