PDA

View Full Version : "If I had known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself."

farplaner
12-20-2006, 10:41 AM
So I just watched A scanner Darkly yesterday for the first time on DVD. I think Linklater did a good job of retaining the integrity of the novel (for the most part). The visual effect of the animation was pretty effective, and the scramble suit came off well.

Downey Jr. was a great Barris. Cochrane was awesome as Freck! -the scene at the diner when Freck was freaking out about his vision of Barris' fantasy of the waitress! lol

There was also some good stuff in the extras featuring some old interviews with Dick. I think I'll have to reread the book...

Thoughts?

NINJA_Ryu
12-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Wait, was it the new one that has everyone all "cartoony?" (best i could come up with)

I know it had keanu reeves in it, and he was probably saying "Whoa" the whole time through :P

Renmiri
12-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Oh dear God, Keanu simply destroyed Johny Mnemonic! Why can't they stop picking him for those roles ?

farplaner
12-21-2006, 02:16 AM
It was a good role for him (Bob Arctor), because... well, I don't want to give away the ending.

And Johnny Mnemonic could have been ruined by anyone.

Yeah, I guess you could put it that way, Ryu. It's live action that's animated over. It gives real footage a very surreal quality.

It worked equally well for Linklater's previous film using this technique called "Waking Life."

Both are interesting movies- not just gimmicks.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-21-2006, 02:20 AM
<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotoscope">Rotoscoping</a>.

I liked this movie.

LoveArya
12-21-2006, 02:39 AM
I liked it. Its not one of my top faves, but it was decent

Ryth
12-21-2006, 12:48 PM
I've been dying to see this movie. I was upset when I missed in theatres. I haven't read the books, but I would if I ever come across one.

Jowy
12-21-2006, 02:23 PM
I don't think this ever came out in the theatres here. I'll likely just rent it.

farplaner
12-21-2006, 10:08 PM
I've been dying to see this movie. I was upset when I missed in theatres. I haven't read the books, but I would if I ever come across one.

You can probably find it at most big book stores...perhaps in an anthology.

As you can tell from my first post, I highly recommend both the book and the movie. :D