PDA

View Full Version : A problem

Stalefish
12-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Whenever I use the attack command with Vivi Or Zidane they hit the target, but instead of dealing damage, they heal them!
Have anybody else had this problem?

Flying Mullet
12-20-2006, 06:17 PM
What weapon do they have equipped and what enemy(ies) are you facing? Do you have anything similar to a heal rod equipped and/or are you attacking elemental enemies with a weapon that has that same element?

Stalefish
12-20-2006, 06:21 PM
They have the basic weapons, havn't changed a thing.

cloud21zidane16
12-21-2006, 01:06 AM
you might have the healer ability equipped. Unequip it and they should attack normal

Ashley Schovitz
12-21-2006, 01:30 AM
The healer ability is only for Garnet I think, I never thought anyone else could have it and that's weird it would make sense if Eiko had it too.

Stalefish
12-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Ah now I get it, I used a gameshark right in the beginning and now my magic stone count is more than I have. Ah well, I couldnt stand playing this game anyway with names like Zidane and Beatrix

Flying Mullet
12-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Try playing it without a gameshark, it's a really fun game.

And if you don't like Zidane's name, change it.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-21-2006, 04:06 PM
I've never had this problem

boys from the dwarf
12-21-2006, 05:48 PM
because you never use gameshark. good for you.

cheating is Baaaaaaaaaaaadddd!

seriously. it screws you up and its a bad habit unless you've already completed the game or it sucks and its not worth playing properly, which is not the case for FF9.

MustangCobraSVT
12-21-2006, 06:35 PM
not liking the name of a charecter or two is not a very good reason to stop playing Final Fantasy IX. It is a really really fun game

crayzee gamr
12-21-2006, 07:13 PM
I agree I just made a new file too and plan to play it over the christmas break (unless I buy KH2, i kno i'm lame i haven't beaten KH2 yetT_T)
I nevver had that problem with them only garnet so u must be right about it being the game shark Stalefish.

vorpal blade
12-21-2006, 10:33 PM
This game has moogles galore! And you can name all the characters "Mog," "Moogle," or "Moogleopolis" and such if you don't like the default names. How can you not like it, kupo?

Stalefish
12-21-2006, 11:01 PM
One more reason why I think it doesn't reach the class of FF8 is that in this game, you barely get to know the characters and like them. Except for Vivi. Me like him.:D Like Freya for example, she got in the game like who the hell is that rat thingy they call a dragon. What the hell? And Zidane, first off, a big nono for the name, and second, whats with the big ripoff of dragonball? Tail. NO.

And unless you spend 3 hours reading the sometimes pointless dialouge, just to read ONE important sentence in the speach you are left clueless of the story. I played through disc 1, and the only thing I know so far is that the queen is evil and Steiner is stupid for not killing the crap out of Zidane seeing as Steiner is strooooong. And come on, what's with Zidane anyways, I thougt that the main character should be someone that is strong and easy to like. But HEY, A TAIL WOULD BE AWESOMELY NEAT 'EY GUYS?

Oh, and allow me to rant on another thing, but concerning FF7:
Stop calling Aeris for Aerith. It's just not cool. OK go.

LunarWeaver
12-22-2006, 01:02 AM
I don't even know where to begin.

Roto13
12-22-2006, 04:00 AM
You played through one disc and you expected a crapload of character development? The character names are enough to turn you away from a game? What's the matter with you?

Ashley Schovitz
12-22-2006, 04:09 AM
You played through one disc and you expected a crapload of character development? The character names are enough to turn you away from a game? What's the matter with you?

Yeah seriously you're just picky and I can't stand when people say it's a rip off of DBZ just because Zidane has a tail, there were many characters on TV books and films that had tails before DBZ it isn't anything strange or copyrighted. And Freya isn't a dragon she's a dragon knight, a knight that skillful in slaying dragons. How can the dialogue be pointless as you say that you can't go around knowing what to do or what's happening in the story because you're not reading the dialogue. I know, you're that ignorant person that I talked to in player's Choice arent you?

farplaner
12-22-2006, 06:09 AM
I don't even know where to begin.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Some battles aren't worth fighting.

Stalefish
12-22-2006, 09:50 AM
I know, you're that ignorant person that I talked to in player's Choice arent you?

Nope

Vivisteiner
12-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Just play the whole game before judging the story and character developement. Youll find the answers if you play it through.

Its amusing how much crap stuff you say about FF9 in you posts.

Anyway, I dont know why I bother. :(

Flying Mullet
12-22-2006, 12:49 PM
One more reason why I think it doesn't reach the class of FF8 is that in this game...
FFVIII has as much class as a drunken high schooler on prom night.

Mirage
12-22-2006, 01:01 PM

Yeah seriously you're just picky and I can't stand when people say it's a rip off of DBZ just because Zidane has a tail, there were many characters on TV books and films that had tails before DBZ it isn't anything strange or copyrighted. And Freya isn't a dragon she's a dragon knight, a knight that skillful in slaying dragons. How can the dialogue be pointless as you say that you can't go around knowing what to do or what's happening in the story because you're not reading the dialogue. I know, you're that ignorant person that I talked to in player's Choice arent you?
No one mentioned DBZ in this thread. It's also smart to discuss his opinion, not him :p.

Anyway, this game has a lot of flaws, but the character names are hardly one of them. Zidane can be renamed, and what the heck is wrong with Beatrix? She's not even a permanent Player Character.

Omni-Odin
12-22-2006, 04:27 PM
Difference between DragonBall and Final Fantasy IX. DragonBall sux !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FFIX is an excellent achievement in storyline and character development. Welcome to the new world.

(Which just so happens to not suck as bad Dragon Ball Z)

Stalefish
12-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Lets take a look of the seriousness of the games here shall we?

FF8 : Humans.
FF9 : Animals and ugly rat things called dragoons.

FF8 : Save points.
FF9 : Moogles.

Mirage
12-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Humans are sentient animals. All the "animals" in FF9 are also sentient animals. I see no reason why a game should be less serious just because it contains other sentient species in addition to humans.

The method of saving is equally absurd in both games. I mean, a ball of "energy" that magically let you live forever. How realistic is that? Furthermore, there are sentient races other than humans in every Final Fantasy game. How is a humanoid rat worse than a moomba or a shumi?

How "serious" a game is is only dependent on the level of realism if you have a total lack of imagination. I'm not saying you're not allowed to dislike the game, in fact, I actually dislike it myself, but your reasons are in my opinion very shallow.

Ashley Schovitz
12-22-2006, 09:10 PM
[No one mentioned DBZ in this thread.

and second, whats with the big ripoff of dragonball? Tail. NO.

Yep he did.

Mirage
12-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Defeat accepted. I searched the page for it and it must have slipped past.

VengefulRonin
12-22-2006, 11:12 PM
One more reason why I think it doesn't reach the class of FF8 is that in this game, you barely get to know the characters and like them. Except for Vivi. Me like him.:D Like Freya for example, she got in the game like who the hell is that rat thingy they call a dragon. What the hell? And Zidane, first off, a big nono for the name, and second, whats with the big ripoff of dragonball? Tail. NO.

And unless you spend 3 hours reading the sometimes pointless dialouge, just to read ONE important sentence in the speach you are left clueless of the story. I played through disc 1, and the only thing I know so far is that the queen is evil and Steiner is stupid for not killing the crap out of Zidane seeing as Steiner is strooooong. And come on, what's with Zidane anyways, I thougt that the main character should be someone that is strong and easy to like. But HEY, A TAIL WOULD BE AWESOMELY NEAT 'EY GUYS?

Are you stupid? o_O The first disc is great, and you cant bitch about character development and such when you're only a fourth of the way through. And steiner didnt "kill the crap out of zidane" because zidane is smarter than steiner. Like seriously, steiner's a bit low on IQ. And if you'd play through the rest of the game you'd know why zidane has the tail, and its not cuz he's a saiyan. Quit ripping on this game when you dont know :skull::skull::skull::skull: about it. You dont have the right to rip on it because you havent even played the whole thing and dont know wtf you're talking about.

And Aerith is what she's called in Kingdom Hearts and its the same thing as Aeris.

Mirage
12-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Aeris/Aerith are both acceptable because of dubious translation from Japanese.

cloud21zidane16
12-23-2006, 01:27 PM

you should give this its own thread, i think youll find it getting a lot of replies:p

Crossblades
12-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Give this game a chance instead of bashing it after playing through one disc. It's as serious as the other FFs.

VengefulRonin
12-23-2006, 06:49 PM
He wont. If he hates it just because of the names Zidane (which you can change) and Beatrix (whose name isnt terribly frequent), then i do believe he is the most shallow game player ever. I dont see how you can complain about those names and not complain about something like "yuffie" or "red XIII" or "quistis trepe."

Stalefish
12-23-2006, 08:44 PM
I dont know any famous french soccerplayer named Quistis. Red XII isn't his name, Nanaki is his real name.

Ok, I said it in a dumb way, its the way the characters get introduced that I hate, not the development.

Like Freya:

Oh hi Im just sitting in a bar and moaning about my problems and, o it seems like theres a war going on, lets fight together for no apparent reason.

Or Quina:

Can you teach me how to eat other things than frogs?

PuPu
12-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Freya:

Oh hi Im just sitting in a bar and moaning about my problems and, o it seems like theres a war going on, lets fight together for no apparent reason.

Freya and Zidane were friends. They said that they knew each other a long time ago, before Zidane saw her at the bar. Then again, you wouldn't know that because you obviously thought it was "pointless dialogue."

Mirage
12-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Annoyed because a name used in a game also is used in the real world? Oh man, I bet that has never happened in any game before. Tina? Edgar? Vincent? Irvine? Cecil? Nah.

Stalefish
12-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Those are normal names. Zidane isn't.

PuPu
12-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Neither was Cloud, Squall, Tidus, etc. What's your point?

Stalefish
12-23-2006, 11:56 PM
WELL WTF? Is Cloud, Squall or Tidus famous soccerplayers? I think not.

PuPu
12-24-2006, 12:15 AM
I've never heard anybody in the real world named Cloud, Squall or Tidus. Explain how Zidane isn't a normal name when it is used in the real world while Cloud, Squall or Tidus are not?

In fact, you should also explain your definition of "normal" as well.

Takara
12-24-2006, 01:45 AM
Wow, you only hate the game because the character's first name is the same as the last name of the ex-Captain of France's football team?

Wow. Just wow.

VengefulRonin
12-24-2006, 02:40 AM
WELL WTF? Is Cloud, Squall or Tidus famous soccerplayers? I think not.

liek omfg, a character is named after a socc3r player, suX0rz! I've seen some really shallow, idiotic "gamers" in my lifetime, but you take the cake Stalefish. Whats more retarded, naming someone after a soccer player or naming someone after the floaty things in the sky? I dont see anyone in real life named "cloud"

The Mog Ninja
12-24-2006, 03:06 AM
from my personal opinion, stalefish joined this site to rant about stuff. he JUST joined this month. he is like the new teenage drivers who think they are the kings of the road.

Goldenboko
12-24-2006, 04:51 AM

Have you played any of the earlier FFs? Because in FFV there was a talkin' Werewolf, in FFVI Mog was a character, FFIV had talking dolls! what about FFVII RedXIII/Nanaki you don't question that? So many FFs use animals/made up things... its called a fantasy for a reason.

Also...
"OMG! Hez totally named after soccer player! HE MUST SUCK!" Thats like saying anyone named Tom is lame because the are named after Tom Cruise.

Also Freya has already know Zidane, and let me tell you something, she was *****ing about her problems at the bar because when people go to the bar and get drunk THEY COMPLAIN!... or yell. Freya was actually introduced pretty well, and has quite an extensive background with Sir Fratley.

And NEVER complain about Quina, s/he had the funniest, lines ever.

Mirage
12-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Those are normal names. Zidane isn't.
So, it's OK to take names from the real world, as long as there are 0 famous persons by that name? It's not even the soccer player's first name, it's his surname. On top of that, you can even change his name if you don't like it, I don't see how his name being "Zidane" could even remotely be a problem.

Quina is clearly there for comic relief, which it succeeds pretty well at.

Apparently, it is like this:
If a name is really unusual, or just barely a name in the first place, it's OK.
If the name is normal and used by many in the real world, it is OK.
If the name is really unusual, and used in the real world, it is OK.
If the name is somewhat unusual, and used in the real world, it is OK.
If the name is somewhat unusual and used in the real world by a soccer player, it is not OK.

lufia
12-24-2006, 09:57 AM
just stop playing final fantasy. this game is too good for stupid shallow people

.:kerrod:.
12-24-2006, 10:11 AM
does any body else have the insane urge to kill that guy? (the one who made this thread). no offense dude, but you're coming at this all wrong....i hate the main character cos he looks like a girl...i HATE the the main boss (Kuja or sumthin) even more cos he looks like a girl AND wears a dress, but that doesnt stop this from being a good game....the only thing you're right about so far is that Vivi rocks!

Also, bout the aeris thing, her real name is Aerith, but yes, i can see where you're coming from....i like Aeris better

EDIT: you deserve all you get on this thread.........honestly

VengefulRonin
12-24-2006, 07:25 PM
just stop playing final fantasy. this game is too good for stupid shallow people

Agreed. And if he gets so pissy about Zidane being named after a soccer player, i wonder why he's not ranting about Blitzball in X, since thats practically underwater soccer.

crayzee gamr
12-25-2006, 07:42 PM
One more reason why I think it doesn't reach the class of FF8 is that in this game...

I agree and junction wuz so damn annoying. With this they atl east learn the skills and KEEP THEM rather than when u switch a GF (in FF8) you lose them (i found that to be very stupid)!
and they wanted to make this different form the other final fantasies becuz after awhile it would eventually become dull.

VengefulRonin
12-26-2006, 01:23 AM

I agree and junction wuz so damn annoying. With this they atl east learn the skills and KEEP THEM rather than when u switch a GF (in FF8) you lose them (i found that to be very stupid)!
and they wanted to make this different form the other final fantasies becuz after awhile it would eventually become dull.

I had VIII for just a very short time, then i sold it...the whole junctioning with summons to learn abilities was too frigging confusing. I liked the characters and locations okay, but junctioning made the game unbearable.

And IX is a tribute to all the oldschool FFs. If this punk complains about Moogles saving your games, i suppose he complains about Moogles being able to fight in VI...if he's even played any of the older games.

Psychotic
12-26-2006, 05:46 AM
OK guys, cool your jets for just a second. Saying stuff like you want to kill the person who made the thread or implying that they're shallow or stupid aint cool. Criticise their opinions all you want, but don't criticise the person.

The Anarchy Angel
12-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Quina will make your life good.

Xurts
12-28-2006, 09:17 PM
I see that Stalefish did get one thing right: Zidane sucks.

PuPu
12-28-2006, 09:29 PM

I certainly hope you aren't saying that just because he's the name of a French Soccer Player.

Xurts
12-29-2006, 03:49 AM

I certainly hope you aren't saying that just because he's the name of a French Soccer Player.
I could not care less about the soccer player. Zidane (from FF9) lacks in the fighting department.

Little Blue
12-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Methinks you just don't know how to use him. If trained appropriately, Zidane can hit for 9,999 damage on each headbutt during a major football competition attack, provided you have the thievery skill, or whatever its called, plus his normal attack can hit pretty high anyway, if I recall correctly...

Goldenboko
12-29-2006, 02:36 PM

I could not care less about the soccer player. Zidane (from FF9) lacks in the fighting department.

Grand Leathal= PWNs
Stealing= PWNs
Detect= PWNs
Stealing craploads at the beginning of the game to be able to do Theivry to PWN all with 9,999 damage= PWNs

So in all...
Zidane= PWNs

Xurts
12-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Methinks you just don't know how to use him. If trained appropriately, Zidane can hit for 9,999 damage on each headbutt during a major football competition attack, provided you have the thievery skill, or whatever its called, plus his normal attack can hit pretty high anyway, if I recall correctly...
Yes, Thievery will do 9999 once you spend the ENTIRE game stealing from every enemy you encounter for hours. THE worst skill ever.

PuPu
12-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Zidane is the only Thief you have in FF9, plus he's a strong physical attacker. His Trances are very powerful as well, since Grand Lethal does 9,999 a lot. How does that suck?

If you stole a fairly good amount of stuff from bosses, Theivery already does about 1000 by the middle of Disc 3. At least, that's how it was for me anyways. Besides, it has an 8 MP cost. What did you expect?

But his greatest ability is that he is the fastest character in the game.

VengefulRonin
12-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Xurts, you may not like Zidane's personality (i'm sometimes iffy about it myself) but you cannot discredit him from being an exceptionally good character to play as, just like Steiner's an arrogant moron most of the game but he's very strong. Zidane's physical attacks are strong, his Trance attacks are extremely useful against boss fights, and from what i've seen and heard about Thievery, its good too, but i rarely bother with stealing unless its bosses.

Mavander
12-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Ok, I'll join senseless criticizing the author of the thread. Bite me ==.

Passed after first disk... and you think you know something? Stick to your crappy VIII, with stupid GF's and crappy music. You actually start to know stories of most characters on disk II, and you get to know why Zidane has that tail you're upset about on disk III. I found that funny thing that I call patience. And anyway, what's wrong with the names? I found them very interesting. Zidane is what someone called him, same for Vivi, Steiner isn't bad name, neither is Garnet/Dagger or Freya. Quina is... I hate Quina. Before people start jumping on me, I'm telling that I'm hating it only, because s/he's a Blue Mage, not because of her/his character. I found it funny. Eiko is good name, and Amarant is only a nickname, considering, that the first thing he remembers is battle. Beatrix... yeah, you can't change it, but what's wrong with it? And if you passed through disc I and stopped liking the names then, at the III disc, you can actually change the characters names. If anyone finds more problem with IX... I'm going for Flare/Steal/Shock/Bahamut/Jump/No Mercy/Madeen/Bad Breath Combo ==.

Little Blue
12-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Yes, Thievery will do 9999 once you spend the ENTIRE game stealing from every enemy you encounter for hours. THE worst skill ever.

Well the way you talk he ain't much good for actual combat so you might as well use him for item acquisition which will naturally get you to a high Thievery hit by the time you learn the skill. If you happen to find yourself underlevelled and would want to train your party, having Zidane mug (you know, steal while damaging) would hardly put you out that much.

And as for the MP cost, equivalent heavy hitting black magic or summons or swordplays etc cost much more than 8 MP. Not even dragons crest costs that little and that hits 9,999 just as easily (16 MP). But then I doubt you appreciate that skill either cos you need to kill dragons to power it up...

Xurts
12-30-2006, 12:34 AM
Zidane is the only Thief you have in FF9, plus he's a strong physical attacker. His Trances are very powerful as well, since Grand Lethal does 9,999 a lot. How does that suck?

If you stole a fairly good amount of stuff from bosses, Theivery already does about 1000 by the middle of Disc 3. At least, that's how it was for me anyways. Besides, it has an 8 MP cost. What did you expect?

How does that suck? Because he needs Trance to be able to deal a steady 9999. Every other character that I use can deal 9999 easily through skills (except for Vivi and Amarant because I don't use them much). My Level 80-something Eiko does more damage than my Lvl. 99 Zidane. C'mon now.

I basically just stole from bosses, and my Theivery does like 1200. So, like I said, to max such an atrocious skill, you pretty much have to steal nonstop from every enemy throughout the game.

Well the way you talk he ain't much good for actual combat so you might as well use him for item acquisition which will naturally get you to a high Thievery hit by the time you learn the skill. If you happen to find yourself underlevelled and would want to train your party, having Zidane mug (you know, steal while damaging) would hardly put you out that much.

And as for the MP cost, equivalent heavy hitting black magic or summons or swordplays etc cost much more than 8 MP. Not even dragons crest costs that little and that hits 9,999 just as easily (16 MP). But then I doubt you appreciate that skill either cos you need to kill dragons to power it up...
When Zidane wasn't taking forever to steal from bosses, I just had him attack normally. His physical attacks weren't half bad with MP Boost, actually. If I stole all of the time instead of using physical attacks, I'm sure that his Thievery damage would be close, if not maxed entirely. Good idea for future playthroughs, I guess. :/

MP is the least of my concerns. The most expensive 9999 skill that I use is probably Steiner's Climhazzard, and that takes an amazing 32 MP. zomg noes! That 8 MP just makes me want to max Theivery totally.

BTW, Dragon's Crest is not a problem to max, since I actually fought a lot of Grand Dragons throughout the game to level up. It's catching 140 frogs that is a bit of a chore.

forgotten_fantasy
12-31-2006, 06:07 PM

Moogles pooned save points and you know it, half of the playable characters being animals pooned all the characters being human and you know it.

Goldenboko
12-31-2006, 06:14 PM

How does that suck? Because he needs Trance to be able to deal a steady 9999. Every other character that I use can deal 9999 easily through skills (except for Vivi and Amarant because I don't use them much). My Level 80-something Eiko does more damage than my Lvl. 99 Zidane. C'mon now.

I basically just stole from bosses, and my Theivery does like 1200. So, like I said, to max such an atrocious skill, you pretty much have to steal nonstop from every enemy throughout the game.

When Zidane wasn't taking forever to steal from bosses, I just had him attack normally. His physical attacks weren't half bad with MP Boost, actually. If I stole all of the time instead of using physical attacks, I'm sure that his Thievery damage would be close, if not maxed entirely. Good idea for future playthroughs, I guess. :/

MP is the least of my concerns. The most expensive 9999 skill that I use is probably Steiner's Climhazzard, and that takes an amazing 32 MP. zomg noes! That 8 MP just makes me want to max Theivery totally.

BTW, Dragon's Crest is not a problem to max, since I actually fought a lot of Grand Dragons throughout the game to level up. It's catching 140 frogs that is a bit of a chore.

Be glad your not playin' older games when you actually had to work to do 3000-4000 damage with your Characters :rolleyes2