PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculously hard monsters

ChocoKid21
12-22-2006, 01:26 AM
So...I've been here for a while but I'm not active so this may seem noobish.

I'm currently level 31 straight across the board. My characters are set up almost equally, and 3 characters have all quickenings and 3 characters have lvl 2 quickenings. My weapons are all updated and my armor is one "level" below the most recent type.

Why am I getting raped by monsters? Its not hard monsters, its monsters relatively close to my level. I use regen, haste, and protect constantly, and I'm getting the crap beat out of me. Right now I'm in Phon Coast.

NOTE: This mainly happens when I go on hunts, but even then, the monsters are about 5-6 levels under where I'm at.

(Most recent example is the Vorpal Bunny hunt. The bunny is hella easy but the skeletons mobbed me and I couldn't kill them faster than they appeared.)

Dynast-Kid
12-22-2006, 01:37 AM
I would just level up if I were you. I just passed the Phon Coast and my lowest character is Level 38.

Timerk
12-22-2006, 02:06 AM
1. Are your gambits set up correctly (putting a focus on healing and rezzing)?

2. Are you spending your LB points on augments first?

Renmiri
12-22-2006, 02:07 AM
Leveling up works but it is sooo tedious!

Like Timerk said, I found out big differences in "being raped" or not depending on the gambits I was using.

For instance, the skeletons near the Vorpal Bunny were kicking my butt until I put Balthier with Foe = undead / raise. Then it got to be cakewalk. Those blue hounds (demon hounds) around the Vorpal bunny also were ganging up on my party and killing it, until I used foe targeting self / drain. Drain also helps you nab the bunny faster because you don't need to touch him to deplete it's HP.

Drain worked perfeclty for Phon coast too. Try it on all 3 in your party. It will get to be a walk in the park :D

PS: Alas, later on Sochen Cavern, Barhein and Nabreus Deadlands the Drain and undead /raise need to be nixed: Undead there are immune to raise and drain on undead hurts your players :(

I've had success with 1,000 needles against those strong undead. Eve mighty Zalera fell to it :D:D:D

chrisguapo69
12-23-2006, 06:35 PM
That's why I finished the game first. Now the Hunts are a peice of cake.

animegrl357
12-23-2006, 11:32 PM
i'm level 31 too! i used all my liscense points on those augments which made my characters so much faster! ^^ you could escape, like me. =D

Holy Lancer
12-26-2006, 08:42 PM
So far the only thing that has killed me is The Mandragoas. I've gotten close twice but ran out of MP and phoenix downs. The problem with this boss is there are five of them, all with around 9,000 HP. 9,000 HP isn't very much but they are hard to hit. There is also the problem with MP. You have to use Dispel on all of them or they will be hitting you like crazy. I used Mateus three times on them but they scatter so when he does his move it only hits two of them. MP is everything in this fight. I only have 2 phoenix downs and once they run out I have to use MP for Raise and MP for Curaga. On top of that they heal eachother which makes it even more difficult. Ethers don't bring back enough MP to do much damage. Regen and Haste help alot but they cost MP too.

These little annoying guys are ridiculously hard!

DarkHeat787
12-26-2006, 09:51 PM
^Get Charge and abuse it. It can be used at 0 MP, just don't use it over and over if it fails, it wastes time and you'll be getting mauled.

Level up. I haven't gotten far into the game yet (I'm not even at Raithwall's Tomb yet), but yeah. Make sure your Gambits are set accordingly (if you have Cura, which I think you should, spam it on the skeletons but try not to hit the bunny), etc. Try to have an attacker (Bunny), an attacker for the skeletons (with an foe = undead/Cura or Raise gambit), and someone to heal and buff.

chionos
12-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Something to note as well: as you progress in the game the mob power:level ratio raises exponentially. It's a borrowed theme from FFXI. In FFXI, at level 1, fighting something 4-5 levels higher than you is relatively easy. But as you progress, the mobs grow at a quicker pace than you so by 30 you can't even fight something that's the same level as you, and by 75 it's even difficult(depending on job) to take on mobs 5-10 levels -lower- than you. And furthermore, some mobs are harder than their level implies, especially undead or swarming mobs.

Holy Lancer
12-26-2006, 11:50 PM
In my party Vaan and Fran are Level 37, Balthier is Level 38, then Ashe is Level 21, Balthier Level 18 and Penelo Level 17. My main party should be able to beat this boss but I haven't yet. I have about 75% of the Liscence Board covered with everyone.

Leucant
12-27-2006, 02:04 AM
So...I've been here for a while but I'm not active so this may seem noobish.

I'm currently level 31 straight across the board. My characters are set up almost equally, and 3 characters have all quickenings and 3 characters have lvl 2 quickenings. My weapons are all updated and my armor is one "level" below the most recent type.

Why am I getting raped by monsters? Its not hard monsters, its monsters relatively close to my level. I use regen, haste, and protect constantly, and I'm getting the crap beat out of me. Right now I'm in Phon Coast.

NOTE: This mainly happens when I go on hunts, but even then, the monsters are about 5-6 levels under where I'm at.

(Most recent example is the Vorpal Bunny hunt. The bunny is hella easy but the skeletons mobbed me and I couldn't kill them faster than they appeared.)

Take out every monster in the area before engaging the vorpal bunny. The best move in the bunnies arsenal is how he will flee and aggro others into battle. A random monster might respawn but it shouldn't be too many at once.

Renmiri
12-27-2006, 02:42 AM
Vorpal bunny is easier if you leave one monster behind, from the first "batch" of wolves and marlboros. Then no skeletons appear.

If the skeletons do appear it is still easy because they are not immune to Phoenix Down. had Baltier with a gambit "foe undead / Phonenix Down" and they were killed on sight. I also had all my 3 guys doing "Drain" as a gambit so they didn't even neet to hit the darn bunny. It fell on 3-5 turns :D

Dreddz
12-27-2006, 07:32 PM
I was your level when I left the Henne Mines for the first time, and about level 45 when I got to Phon Coast. Your under leveled, sort it out.

Ashley Schovitz
12-27-2006, 08:04 PM
The entire game is hard period and why are there skeletons where you're fighting the Vorpal Bunny, the Vorpal Bunny is in the woods. I think some of my reason is because I'm cheap with my money I've always been like that in every game I own.

Dreddz
12-28-2006, 01:47 PM
The entire game is hard period

You need to play more RPG's then...

Diango12
12-28-2006, 06:59 PM
I found the battles easy, the monsters however were hard. In the battles your usually fighting 1 or 2 monsters at a time which makes the entire set of the battle's completely easy to gang up on them. The monsters themselves are pretty tough

What ever happened to "Training" you know that all important thing in RPG's where you should spend half the game leveling and advancing you character thats the biggest problem solver to "Hard battles". What ever happened to it? Well there doesn't seem to be any more satisfaction from leveling or gaining new ability's in FF12. the once "Oh my god look at holy its so great!" is now gone especially if all your characters can cast it. Train everyone its a forgotten art I know but go out there and train/level

Renmiri
12-29-2006, 01:29 AM
I agree with the "joy" of finally getting a killer spell being gone, but disagree on the leveling. One of my main gripes about XII is the insane amount of boring leveling it requires. Jeesus H Christ, every mission is 5-6 levels higher than the last, you simply can not forgo leveling ever!!! :(

I mean, I'm used to having to level up for "the grand finale" and the last boss but every freaking plot stop ? And without the funny in battle banter (of X) and a good memorable soundtrack, the leveling thing eventually get boring as hell... Even with the gambits and spectacular graphics, it is just way too much leveling needed for lazy bums like me :D

Oh well < / end rant >

I was your level when I left the Henne Mines for the first time, and about level 45 when I got to Phon Coast. Your under leveled, sort it out.

This is the thing, 45 for not even being at 50% of the game ? WTF ?!?!? This game just requires an insane amount of leveling and cuts on the joy of playing it.

Just WHERE do you level up to 45 before Phon Coast without getting bored to tears ? (And without using the Stillshrine auto-leveling cheat). There is nowhere to do it. You just have to see the same places over and over and over.... And it's the same thing always. To go to the Palace you should be level 10. Getting to level 10 around Rabanastre without a party was the pitts! Yuck!!!!!!