PDA

View Full Version : iPod ?'s

Yar
12-22-2006, 03:38 AM
I am considering buying an iPod but I won't depending on the answers to these questions. If I do buy one, it'll be a video iPod, none of that cheap-ass iPod nano crap.

1.) Do you have to buy your media specifically at iTunes? I don't want to be scammed into buying specifically from Apple. I would buy television episodes from there obviously.

2.) Can I rip my CD's and put the songs on my iPod? I wouldn't like to have to buy all my music again.

3.) If I buy a new iPod, will I have to buy all my media again? I'd think this is my most important question.

I would rather ask customers of Apple, rather than be scammed into buying one from Apple themselves. Thank you.

Avarice-ness
12-22-2006, 03:47 AM
1.) No, my sister bittorrent'd half her stuff. She was paying for it, until her computer crashed and lost all those songs, it was a horrible 100+ dollars wasted, so she gave in and is now just pirating the songs for free.

2.) Yes, but it might take a hell of a long time converting the files. (Is converting them all now, before she actually buys one, her sister told her too)

3. My sister's computer crashed and she was trying to put her music back on her computer once it was fixed 'cept iTunes erased everything off the iPod when it saw there were no files on the computer yet. I think all you should do is make a data disk and you should be fine.

I'm getting a iPod Video too, my sister has one and it's the best. <3.

Madame Adequate
12-22-2006, 04:44 AM
1) Nope
2) Yup, you can convert most common file types to play on an iPod. I have only one album I can't upload (Never actually figured out why not, though), and it's some really obscure thing.
3) Don't think so, iTunes should keep the library and lists and stuff if you use a different iPod. Not sure on that though.

Avarice-ness
12-22-2006, 05:11 AM
Yeah, just make sure the library's are there. I don't know if it has the choice to do an auto-matic sync when you plug in the iPod like some other mp3 players do, but that's how my sister lost the songs that were on her iPod. Her computer was redone, so she wanted to basically transfer them back on, when the computer recognized that there were no songs on iTunes, it made it so there were no songs on the iPod either. If it has an autosync or non-autosync choice, I'd pick non-autosync just to always be on the safe side. :razz:

escobert
12-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Nope
Yup
Nope.

Mo-Nercy
12-22-2006, 03:03 PM
I have a Nano. :mad:

Video is too huge. Too expensive too. I'd rather spend my week's pay on something more practical... like another pair of limited edition shoes. :D

Hell, I'd settle on a Shuffle if it had a bloody screen.

Yar
12-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Is there a way to rip DVD's? I've never tried it; and if you can, can you put it on an iPod?

Zeldy
12-24-2006, 12:33 AM
I can't stand Ipod's. The people who have them that I know are always complaining that its broke. I have a Zen, Its been dropped so many bloody times yet it still works, Id like to see that happen to an Ipod. It fell out my pocket from the top of a gate, I thought the screen must have been broke, but nope. Just a teeny scratch.

But what do I know? Ive never had an Ipod. Yes, it would be nice to watch videos on it but realisticly, an Ipod spends 90% of its time in your pocket doesn't it? So do you REALLY need to pay so much for videos?

My Zen might be a brick, but its sturdy, and holds 20,000 songs :p

Xander
12-24-2006, 01:23 AM
I can't stand Ipod's. The people who have them that I know are always complaining that its broke. I have a Zen, Its been dropped so many bloody times yet it still works, Id like to see that happen to an Ipod. It fell out my <strike>pocket from the top of a gate</strike> hand onto concrete, I thought the screen must have been broke, but nope. Just a teeny scratch.

Man, you quoted almost the exact words I have said many times before. xD <3

Vincent, Thunder God
12-24-2006, 01:32 AM
Since your questions have already been asnwered, I'm just going to add this...

If you're using Windows Media Player, apparently the MP3 player I'm getting for Christmas, the Creative Zen, works much better with Windows Media Player than the Ipod, if that helps. It also supports many more file types like wma's and wmp's. When you rip CDs on Windows Media Player, it usually makes the ripped songs wma's, and apparently they don't work on the Ipod.

As for the slippery grip Zeldy and Xander mentioned, the Zen is also apparently is less slippery and has a better grip.

DK
12-24-2006, 02:32 AM
My iPod has been perfect for two years. My only complaint is that I wish I had a bigger HD on it. :monster:

Avarice-ness
12-24-2006, 02:39 AM
My iPod has been perfect for two years. My only complaint is that I wish I had a bigger HD on it. :monster:

Seriously, We were just talking about that! =D My dad might get me an 8 Gig.

I have alot of wma files, I'm pretty sure that's what my iTune's is trying to convert and what not. :)

Avarice-ness
12-25-2006, 12:04 AM
First intentional double post.

I just got a 30 gig iPod -right now-

And first thing I can say is, make sure you upgrade your itunes and make sure you plug it in first thing or it's going to take forever to get the darn thing going! *-pure happiness-*

:heart: :heart: :heart:

I LOVE CHRISTMAS!

Dr Aum
12-25-2006, 02:06 AM
I'd definitely recommend an iPod as a first portable MP3 player. I've had mine for a little over two years and it's still going strong, haven't had any trouble with it at all. File transfer is more or less painless, and since it archives playlists on your computer, you don't need to worry much about losing your files.

And as an added bonus, if you also have a Wii, you may wake up one morning to find little white, glossy, electronic babies.

Cookie
12-25-2006, 02:11 AM
Just buy one, they are the shiz. :D

Avarice-ness
12-25-2006, 04:09 AM
3188 songs and still going, saddly it took about 2 hours to get them all on there, I'd prolly recomend doing the transfer in incriments versus one EXTREMELY large bulk transfer. :razz:

eestlinc
12-25-2006, 08:03 AM
I have a 2GB nano I got for free with my computer. I like the smaller size because it forces me to keep only songs i want to listen to on it. that means that the shuffle is always good and i have to be discriminating and not just dump everything on it. it's fun to rotate stuff in and out.

i haven't had a problem with my ipod breaking, but I also take care of it so that it doesn't get damaged.

congrats on your new player!