PDA

View Full Version : Anyone miss the classic FF music in XII?

Setharion
12-22-2006, 08:38 AM
The music kind of does bum me out in XII, where some parts are decent...it just doesnt have the FF feel too it :(

I was just watching a couple vids on FFIII, im kind of tempted to get a DS for it..but instantly the music was so FF-esque that it was like AH i wish XII had the classic kind of music too.

Aside from the opening menu that does have the 2 classic songs, but inside the game i mean...just havent really hit that epic kind of FF song.

Zeromus_X
12-22-2006, 08:44 AM
What defines 'FF-esque' music? Does everyone really think the soundtrack is that bad? I actually really enjoyed it. A song doesn't have to be stuck in my head to be pleasant to listen to.

Dell
12-22-2006, 08:44 AM
It's not the game fault, blame Uematsu for that. And the upcoming FF won't have FF feel anymore unless Uematsu join Squeenix back.

Setharion
12-22-2006, 08:49 AM
What defines 'FF-esque' music? Does everyone really think the soundtrack is that bad? I actually really enjoyed it. A song doesn't have to be stuck in my head to be pleasant to listen to.

Ill reiterate, the music in XII is not bad by any means. It just doesnt have a final fantasy sound too it, thats all.

And honestly i cant describe it lol but lets put it this way. I was there the day FF1 on NES released back in 87 or 88, and right there for every FF since and they all had their classic musical score to them, something that really sounded magical.

XIIs music isnt magical, its good, but its just there and doesnt stand out to me like past final fantasy scores.

Its just a level of greatness, most other FFs have great soundtracks, XII is just good. Eruyt Village so far is my favorite track though.

Gabranth
12-22-2006, 08:50 AM
i don't mind the music, but i'll tell you what, they sure did screw up the chocobo song

Remon
12-22-2006, 09:17 AM
The music was Ok and i liked it.It suited the game after all.But i must say that FFX-2 music was better though.

Renmiri
12-22-2006, 10:41 AM
What defines 'FF-esque' music?

Nobuo Uematsu composing it :D

Meh... I guess it is like vanilla icecream. OK but missing something. FFXII's soundtrack is flavorless with rare exceptions (I do enjoy Paramina Rift and Nabreus Deadlands themes). 60 hours of flavorles pap is just too much for my poor ears. I have been playing it withthe volume down and my itunes on with some FFX, FFIX and other memorable soundtracks :love:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Play Final Fantasy Tactics. Then you'll understand.

Renmiri
12-22-2006, 11:07 AM
It's not the game fault, blame Uematsu for that. And the upcoming FF won't have FF feel anymore unless Uematsu join Squeenix back.
It was not his fault Squeenix didn't want to fork out the dough to hire his services!

I most definitely will, the characters look so cute on tactics!

Timerk
12-22-2006, 02:04 PM
The music in XII reminded me a lot of the music in X-2.

:twocents:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Your vitriol is especially hyperbolic today, madam.

BizzerocitY
12-22-2006, 08:47 PM
I would like to make a statement. Please pay attention to this.

Step 1: Obtain Nintendo DS.

Step 2: Obtain Final Fantasy III.

Step 3: Turn on Final Fantasy III.

Step 4: Listen to opening music of Final Fantasy III.

Step 5: Listen to the Load Screen music of Final Fantasy XII.

Step 6: Notice they are exactly the same.

Step 7: Defeat combat in Final Fantasy III.

Step 8: Defeat Boss in combat in Final Fantasy XII.

Step 9: Notice victory music is EXACTLY the same.

I would just like to point out that it is very classic music, as final fantasy III is 9 Final Fantasy's away from XII.

Ouch!
12-22-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm glad you said that.

To be honest, I'm a huge fan of Hitoshi Sakimoto's work. I thought the Final Fantasy XII soundtrack was wonderful.

VengefulRonin
12-22-2006, 11:20 PM
What defines 'FF-esque' music?

Nobuo Uematsu composing it :D

Meh... I guess it is like vanilla icecream. OK but missing something. FFXII's soundtrack is flavorless with rare exceptions (I do enjoy Paramina Rift and Nabreus Deadlands themes). 60 hours of flavorles pap is just too much for my poor ears. I have been playing it withthe volume down and my itunes on with some FFX, FFIX and other memorable soundtracks :love:

Thats what i do too. I think it's kinda sad that people are muting the game to play a different soundtrack over it <.<

I'm glad you said that.

To be honest, I'm a huge fan of Hitoshi Sakimoto's work. I thought the Final Fantasy XII soundtrack was wonderful.

Frankly, i think his work in Tactics is better than in XII.

Zeromus_X
12-22-2006, 11:23 PM
So people are basically complaining because they've never listened to Sakimoto's soundtracks before? Uematsu practically let other composers create half of FFX's soundtrack, and he definitely wasn't around for X-2. Uematsu is gone. I guess you'll have to get used to 'not having teh Final Fantasy feel' in your music. I think that reason is rather silly.

Though personally, I think FFT's soundtrack is alot more adrenaline-pumping than FFXII's, which is much more relaxing.

Mirage
12-22-2006, 11:25 PM
The tracks are overall good, but they rarely stand out. The Tactics stuff was better, imo. I don't miss Nobuo, I miss Sakimoto doing a better job :p.

VengefulRonin
12-22-2006, 11:58 PM
The tracks are overall good, but they rarely stand out. The Tactics stuff was better, imo. I don't miss Nobuo, I miss Sakimoto doing a better job :p.

I miss both T_T I didnt complain at all about the Tactics soundtrack, in fact i enjoyed it. XII seems kind of lackluster...i know i know, its good. And i'm not saying that it isnt good...its just not great. And it wouldnt be so bad if the areas werent so friggin large. This leads to a dull track being played for a very long time, and that starts to become annoying.

If XII wasnt a FF, just an RPG by itself, people might have liked its soundtrack more, but because it has to compete with all the others, it fell way short.

Renmiri
12-23-2006, 12:41 AM
Uematsu is gone

What are you talking about ?!?! He is ahead of FFXIII

Yoshinori Kitase (Producer)
Motomu Toriyama (Director)
Tetsuya Nomura (Character Design)
Nobuo Uematsu (Theme Song Composition)
Masashi Hamazu (Composer)
Eiji Fujii (Movie Director)
Isamu Kamikokuryou (Art Director)

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/706/706153p1.html

Besides, he being "gone" or not does not change the fact that FFXII music is unmemorable and flavorless.

I could like it for 20 minutes or even 2 hours in a movie, just like I tolerated John Williams on Star Wars. Hearing it for 100 hours straight though is much more than I can bear. The mute on my TV went "on" after my second day of play.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-23-2006, 04:32 AM
I tolerated John Williams on Star Wars."Tolerated"? So, you just hate all good music, then? Good to have that pounded out.

atlanteay
12-23-2006, 04:37 AM
FFXII has great music IMO. They just don't stand out that much but enjoyable. Sort of like elevator music as someone has said in another thread. It doesn't have me humming the music day and night like some other FFs but it's soothing and calm.

The music flows well with the events and environments. some of FFX's music made me wince XP and this one doesn't so i guess i enjoy it.

LazarCotoron
12-23-2006, 05:24 AM
Actually, I really think the FFXII soundtrack has much more in common with Sakimoto's work in Vagrant Story than in Tactics. There's a few scenes in FFXII where it really gets jumping onto a larger than life scale, as proper dramatic music-but most of the soundtrack is not dramatic music.

Personally, I tend to prefur dramatic music, and I have notable exceptions. John Williams scores are great examples-so good they're text book quality, to be honest. Williams writes these grand sweeping scores, and they are excellent to listen to in and out of context-except for one thing. The man writes in a single major chord for his prominent movie work, so Star Wars and Harry Potter run together while Indiana Jones sounds like a different sound track. So when I listen to the Star Wars themes especially, I feel the ones that come through strongest are the slow sad one where Luke is looking at the two suns after his uncle and aunt were killed, The Imperial March because it uses a minor key variation of his typical major key, and some of the starship battles which tend to sound more like twinkling, fluttering sounds.

I can say a very similar thing for Sakimoto's work, only less so-it doesn't hit the same extremes that William's work does, but it has equally great moments. I'm fond of Paramina Rift, the Dalmasca Westersand, Archades, and the Esper Theme at the moment. There are scenes in the game where I feel the music is appropriate but forgetable, and then there are areas where I'm getting Vagrant Story flash backs.

The feeling of the score is very different from Tactics, honestly. I think the reason why is because Tactics is based around the idea of armies clashing together-the music represents that, even if the battles are 5 on 5 or there about. VS and FFXII are taking place in a much smaller, more personal view, and I think their scores strongly reflect that.

I don't miss the 'old FF music' because I look at each FF as a different game. Each one is its own thing.

Wolf Kanno
12-23-2006, 09:02 AM
What are you talking about ?!?! He is ahead of FFXIII

[quote]Yoshinori Kitase (Producer)
Motomu Toriyama (Director)
Tetsuya Nomura (Character Design)
Nobuo Uematsu (Theme Song Composition)
Masashi Hamazu (Composer)
Eiji Fujii (Movie Director)
Isamu Kamikokuryou (Art Director)

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/706/706153p1.html

Actually, it looks like he's only doing the ending theme to FFXIII, like he did FFXII's ending theme. Masashi Hamazu (the name below him) is the actual composer for XIII's soundtrack.

The soundtrack is good, not Sakimoto's best, but it's not horrible or unlistenable. Course I haven't like an FF soundtrack since IX. To be honest, I think Uematsu was starting to lose his touch, so I think it's good he's finally off doing something non-FF related.

Renmiri
12-23-2006, 03:26 PM
I tolerated John Williams on Star Wars."Tolerated"? So, you just hate all good music, then? Good to have that pounded out.
Well, taste for music is on the ear of the beholder, right ? ;)

I just find it bland and uninspiring like all "elevator music" sounds to me. Like vanilla ice cream. A very popular flavor, just not to my liking, too bland and too overused.

I don't dislike FFXII music per se, nor John Williams. They are just too bland and of a style that has been way overused.

What makes this kind of music in an FF game so annoying to me is the fact that I have had to listen to it for over 20 hours while playing XII . I had to use the "mute" button after that, just HAD to. It was driving me bonkers!!!! I felt like I was stuck in an elevator or worse, stuck in one of those phone support mazes from hell (they all use John Williams nowadays, have you noticed ?).

What can I say ? I'm weird and proud of it, because it is who I am :p

BTW, I have uploaded an interview with Sakimoto to Youtube, because a friend of mine asked. You guys might enjoy listening to him explain his work at XII and other games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8VG3bRSC8U

Dreddz
12-23-2006, 04:03 PM
I like the music but its definitely not on par with previous entries in the series. No individuality in any of the tunes. Its clear they put alot of time into the music, but there was more talent behind the tunes in previous games.

Moon Rabbits
12-23-2006, 05:43 PM
The music of FFXII is great, but I prefer Nobuo Uematsu over Hamazu for sure.

Hamazu had some great tracks in FFXII, like the Paramina Rift theme, but Uematsu had much more memorable ones.

Polnareff
12-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Why did no one mention that a lot of the music from FFXII sounds like the music from Tactics Advance? Hell, some of them are redone from Tactics Advance, and possibly even Tactics. I can't give examples since I can barely remember any of the names of towns/music/whatever, but yeah.

Timerk
12-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Why did no one mention that a lot of the music from FFXII sounds like the music from Tactics Advance? Hell, some of them are redone from Tactics Advance, and possibly even Tactics. I can't give examples since I can barely remember any of the names of towns/music/whatever, but yeah.

Post #8.

Polnareff
12-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Okay, good, thanks, I thought I was going crazy. :p

My opinion of the soundtrack? It's pretty damn good. I liked it better than most of the tracks in 10/10-2 (haven't played XI so I can't judge). It's not my favorite soundtrack by any means, though, but it sure does fit the game.