PDA

View Full Version : Am i a hypocrite?

blim
12-23-2006, 01:02 AM
Firstly, yes i am and i've never met anyone who isn't but

I was arguing with a friend of mine tonight about an album he put on. The album was called "Harvesting the c___ nectar" by XXX Maniak (edited slightly by me but its obvious) and i felt that the album went beyond what was acceptable, the music was excellent but the lyrics centred around necrophilia, paedophilia and sexual violence. I was saying it was offensive and unneccessary. The point he was making was that it was liitle different to bands like Slayer, Cannibal corpse and Deicide who i will happily listen to, only pushing taboos a bit further. So my question is, when does music become unacceptable? And how much responsibility do artists have for the reactions of listeners? (i.e. should bands refrain from discussing these topics in case people think "Oh its cool and so and so sing about it so it's not just me")

Khaotic
12-23-2006, 01:23 AM
I would have to read the lyrics to make a definate decision, if its simply mentioning the words, and nothing more, I don't think its "wrong", but actually making the entire song about those 2 subjects, then it is wrong.

Renmiri
12-23-2006, 01:24 AM
I believe it should be age rated and clearly labeled. But not censured entirely.

I definitely do not want my kids to listen and sing anything like it till they are 90.. er... make that 16 (overprotective mom ;) ) as younger kids will not know the difference between what's acceptable in art and in real life.

But for adults ? No it should not be censored. Your friend should be able to listen to it if he likes it. Doesn't mean you have to listen to it if you don't like it. He was galling you and using peer pressure to get you to listen to it, that is definitely not "friendly".

I've seen censorship close enough, long enough to arrive to the conclusion that the "medicine" is way worse than the cure.

blim
12-23-2006, 01:38 AM
To clarify a little, i was not at any point suggesting banning it, i was purely referring to my feelings about it. In answer to Khaotic, it was exremely graphic (put it this way i would not post any lyrics here) and i felt verged on glamourising such subjects. And to Renmiri, i was under no pressure to listen to it that was my decision. It is 18 rated and the cover gives adequate warning. My friend said he would not let his (about 3 months away) child listen to it. Also, to be fair to my friend has changed some lyrics for our band because i was uncomfortable with them, as i have done for him.

Drex
12-23-2006, 03:25 AM
Unfortunately many people would like nothing better than to have no barriers blocking their 'creativity,' whereas I think resorting to pushing the edge and flirting with taboos is entirely uncreative - anyone can cross the line and be 'edgy' but not everyone can stay within the lines and make something just as 'cool.' Music should be innovative, but I feel like it should follow and move with society, rather than trying to create or revolutionize society. Build, yes. Expand, perhaps, but you have to look at what you're doing with it in 'expanding' it. I find that most people who write and use lyrics like the ones you describe are narrow-minded, small-perspectived, and not in touch with how life really works.

Odaisé Gaelach
12-23-2006, 05:15 AM
I think that it all comes down to whether you give people a new insight into the taboo or not.

Okay, look at it this way: say we're talking about a song. If it's meaningful, and there's feeling to the song - or anything - then the listener will go away with a deeper understanding and insight into the taboo, and the feelings surrounding it.

But if it's just mindless gratuitous nonsense, then the listener will just shrug it off, and not leave with anything. Neither an understanding nor an insight. To me, that's what differentiates whether you've pushed a taboo too far just for the sake of it, or not.

Firstly, yes i am and i've never met anyone who isn't

Everyone is. :)

Leeza
12-23-2006, 07:07 AM
I think this topic belongs in The Lounge. *moves*