PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Zelda: Is it really THAT good?

tidus_rox
12-23-2006, 03:30 AM
2:00 AM Nov 17- Walmart; sitting in a lawnchair, with a woolen blanket wraped around my head. I was beginning to doubt that all of this was worth it. I was purchasing the Wii that day, hoping for the best. All my life I had been a die hard Sony fan (and I cant wait to get my hands on a PS3). My friend persuaded me to switch on over to Nintendo. I was cool with that, only one thing; I found Nintendo very childish and non-RPG-ish.

8:00 AM Nov 17- Running toward the electronic center even though I recieved a ticket garenteeing that a Wii would be in my hands. There were many people that showed up late and did not get a ticket.

10:00 Nov 17- At home, playing with my Wii. All of the hype for Zelda got me all wond up (even though i was ready to pass out from lack of sleep) Every site I had visited had given the game a 9.5 or higher so I was looking forward to an amazing game.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHERE ALL THE HYPE COMES FROM! The game is not even all that good. I find that people are all like "OMG It's Zelda, it must be good, and I am not saying anything different." Boring gameplay, depressing environments, no voice acting (which makes it a very quite game/boring).

Mario- Not even good games. Its mario so EVERYONE has to like it. (I am getting no where with this conversation)

Zelda- Same old stuff as the other one. Nothing really new about it.

Nintendo- The games that are not known as well as mario and such (Trauma Center, Cooking Mama) are way better. That is why I like Sony; it doesn't have all these SUPER famous games. Just games that are amazing but not well known.

Does anyone catch my drift? I have chated with a FEW people that agree with me, but I am determind to find more. Please respond! Thanks,
Cody

Roto13
12-23-2006, 03:34 AM
No game is worth waiting in line for eight hours for.

Agent Proto
12-23-2006, 03:41 AM
You may not find Zelda appealing doesn't mean that it's all that bad. You do have to remember that Twilight Princess was originally supposed to be only for GameCube, but Nintendo was able to make it with Wii controls, so it may seem "last-gen" with the graphics, but you do have to realize that it's still great, nonetheless. And the thing with VA, you could blame Nintendo for that since they stated that Zelda games will likely not feature them in their games. They may change that in future games, but don't expect it any time soon.

tidus_rox
12-23-2006, 03:44 AM
so it may seem "last-gen" with the graphics, All of the games seem last gen; cuz the graphics with Nintendo SUCK. (I cannot wait for Trauma Center that I am getting for Christmas. It is the only reason I am keeping my Wii)

Roto13
12-23-2006, 03:45 AM
so it may seem "last-gen" with the graphics, All of the games seem last gen; cuz the graphics with Nintendo SUCK.

*sigh* I guess you haven't been paying attention to the entire point of the Wii.

Agent Proto
12-23-2006, 03:51 AM
Listen, I'll be reasonable with you. Graphics don't make the game, it's the gameplay that do. Guess which direction Nintendo went with the Wii?

If you answered graphics, you are totally wrong.

ljkkjlcm9
12-23-2006, 03:51 AM
funny enough Gamecube had the best graphics last generation... over and over again winning awards for it.

Anyways, SONY doesn't have any games, they're all third parties. So saying Sony has great games, doesn't make sense. Third parties chose to produce for them. BUT if sales continue as they are, more of those companies will produce for Nintendo, and then you can say the same for Nintendo. Look at the DS, amazing games on it.
And actually "Sony" or the Playstation consoles, have more famous games than nintendo at this point. From GTA, to Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid... you can't say it doesn't have well known games. Even the brand new good games, like God of War, are well known. Nintendo has plenty of good games, and if they're not your thing, it doesn't make them bad. Hell, I hate GTA, all of them, they suck IMO, but that doesn't mean they actually are bad.

And saying any game is the same is kind of stupid. Most games are the same thing knowadays. I like Zelda because of the puzzles, for me, Zelda Master Quest for the Ocarina of Time game, was just as good as a new Zelda game. I love the puzzles and stuff. Mario is just care free fun. Easy to pick up and learn and just goof off. Half the time I play mario, it's for no purpose, no aim, just to run around cause I'm bored. The other series they have all have their own thing that attracts me to it. That's why I like Nintendo.

Mind you, everyone I know, knows I like Nintendo and want a Wii. Half expected me to get it on launch day. But do I have one yet? No, because I refuse to wait in line for it. Nothing is so good that I would wait in line 6 hours for, and I know people that waited 9 for their Wii. I'll get it when I get it, there's no rush, nothing is that good.

THE JACKEL

tidus_rox
12-23-2006, 03:56 AM
*sigh* I guess you haven't been paying attention to the entire point of the Wii

Yes I know what it is... Gameplay? Well I pay more attention to graphics...

(And Jackal) Yes your right, I meant games FOR the Playstation not made by Sony... And exactly, Mario id for no reason (lol).

PS. I hope I am not coming off as rude. I am not a rude person and mean no disrespect

ljkkjlcm9
12-23-2006, 04:02 AM
well games in general are for no reason, except to goof off and have fun. Mario is just easier to pick up and just do nothing but yet still have some fun.

THE JACKEL

Jowy
12-23-2006, 04:05 AM
If you pay more attention to graphics, you should have gotten a 360 or PS3 then.

NINJA_Ryu
12-23-2006, 05:06 AM
If you made this thread to be an entire Nintendo flame and Sony boost, then not many are going to agree with you.

My personal draw to Nintendo is that they have decently priced games that i grew up with, and that never cease to amaze me. For example, i have played all the mario's. from the original 8 bit to Super Mario 64, and all the others in between. But when i got NSMB, it continued to amaze me in keeping me saying "Wow, I didnt expect that."

Not bashing Sony, they have alot of great titles, but probably the reason Nintendo has so much current hype is because of the Wii and DS, risky moves on Nintendos part, but paid off in full. And people eat it up because its new, and also because its the hottest thing with good selection of great games. PS3 has started off poorly, and despite being a year early, the 360 has a good amount ofdelayed games, most notably Halo 3.

Nintendo FTW

Sephex
12-23-2006, 05:56 AM
These so-called video game flaming threads masquerading as a video game discussion is getting quite redundant.

KentaRawr!
12-23-2006, 06:22 AM
Admittedly, I can't name much in Zelda that other games don't surpass. Even so, I prefer Zelda due to the atmosphere.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-23-2006, 06:33 AM
I think Zelda has a right to live up to it's hype, I was watching on television a few weeks ago that the legend of zelda:Ocarina of time was rated the #1 best video game of all time.

well games in general are for no reason, except to goof off and have fun.

I'm going to have to disagree, I do not only play games to goof off and have fun, I also play it to get into the character's shoes and get attached to the characters that I interact with, and having fun on top of that, though I do see where your coming from.

Rainecloud
12-23-2006, 09:11 AM
I'm disappointed with the latest incarnation of the Zelda series and I didn't even hype myself up as much as the other Zelda fans, so I didn't exactly have high expectations. For some reason, TP didn't grab me as much as OoT and MM did.

This morning, I reached the Temple of Time. I managed to get to the top floor and grab the statue, but then something very strange happened. I got bored. You heard me right, I got bored - in a Zelda game. I saved the game, and switched off my Wii, and I have no intention of continuing the game at the moment. Right now, I just can't be arsed with it. This has nothing to do with exteral factors, I'm simply not enjoying the game. In fact, I went back to Ocarina of Time this morning and absolutely loved it!

I can't explain why I'm not enjoying the game. I just ... don't find it fun to play. Perhaps I'm getting old, or perhaps the game simply isn't as good as others I've played.

So, yes, Zelda is great. But not all of them. :p

Madame Adequate
12-23-2006, 03:17 PM
I've felt like Rainecloud does in every single Zelda game I've ever played.

I do not see the fuss. I think Zelda is one of the most massively overrated franchises on the planet. It's not bad by any remote stretch, it's all well done and has undeniably some of the highest production values in gaming. They've just never, ever grabbed me. And believe me, I've tried - I can't think of any games I've tried to like more than OoT. I have, quite literally, started playing it seven or eight times to try and get into it, and I never can.

To be fair, I have not yet played TP. Maybe it's amazing. *shrugs* I mean, WW was pretty good, I could actually play that for an extended time, but like all the others it just didn't keep my interest.

Maxico
12-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Anyways, SONY doesn't have any games, they're all third parties. So saying Sony has great games, doesn't make sense. Third parties chose to produce for them. BUT if sales continue as they are, more of those companies will produce for Nintendo, and then you can say the same for Nintendo. Look at the DS, amazing games on it.
And actually "Sony" or the Playstation consoles, have more famous games than nintendo at this point. From GTA, to Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid... you can't say it doesn't have well known games. Even the brand new good games, like God of War, are well known. Nintendo has plenty of good games, and if they're not your thing, it doesn't make them bad. Hell, I hate GTA, all of them, they suck IMO, but that doesn't mean they actually are bad.

THE JACKAL

What are you talking about? Every console manufacturer has it's own first party development studio's. And Sony has some particulary accomplished ones at that.

Ashley Schovitz
12-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Yeah the game's that good where have you been girlfriend?

Roto13
12-23-2006, 05:27 PM
What's the farthest you've gotten in Ocarina of Time, MILF?

Pike
12-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Different people will find different games more interesting than others do. It doesn't necessarily mean that the game is good or bad. I, for example, never found the Sonic the Hedgehog games to be very interesting. Does that mean they're bad or overrated? Of course not. Obviously they're very good or they wouldn't be as popular as they are. I have a lot of respect for the Sonic series. But I, personally, never found the games to be exciting.

The same would go for Zelda. Obviously some people aren't going to be as impressed or enthralled by it, and that's normal. It doesn't mean that the games are overrated or anything. *shrugs*

Roto13
12-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Different people will find different games more interesting than others do. It doesn't necessarily mean that the game is good or bad. I, for example, never found the Sonic the Hedgehog games to be very interesting. Does that mean they're bad or overrated? Of course not. Obviously they're very good or they wouldn't be as popular as they are. I have a lot of respect for the Sonic series. But I, personally, never found the games to be exciting.

The same would go for Zelda. Obviously some people aren't going to be as impressed or enthralled by it, and that's normal. It doesn't mean that the games are overrated or anything. *shrugs*

So true. I could never get into the Castlevania or Metroid games, but I can appreciate that they're really good. I can see why other people like them.

Renmiri
12-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Finished OOT, Majora, Wind Waker, 4 swords... Getting pwned at Twilight Princess. Is it's just me or TP controls for the Gamecube are for people born with 6 opposable thumbs ? Christ, it took me 2 days to get on that darn bucking horse!

Zelda is from 1984, at the time is was THE Role Play. Just like with Star Wars, it started a genre and it got surpassed but it will always be looked at fondly for those who appreciate tradition :D

Savern Volaco
12-23-2006, 06:57 PM
they force you to read to keep you smart, other than voice acting and making one brain dead slow at many things...(I am very mean today)

ljkkjlcm9
12-23-2006, 07:54 PM
What are you talking about? Every console manufacturer has it's own first party development studio's. And Sony has some particulary accomplished ones at that.

No offense, but I don't know any of their first party studios, or their accomplished games from those studios, please inform me.

Like I said, I hate GTA and think it's highly overrated. Some people hate Final Fantasy and think it's highly overrated.

A great quote that comes to mind when I read this thread is as follows:
"Nothing is so good that somebody somewhere will not hate it."

No matter how good something is, there will always be people who don't like it. Maybe Zelda isn't for you. Hell, maybe the Wii isn't for you... but the PS3 is not for me, and GTA is not for me, so whatever.

THE JACKEL

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Zelda is from 1984, at the time is was THE Role Play.1986. And if you're implying it was ever an RPG, it wasn't.

Madame Adequate
12-23-2006, 08:23 PM
What's the farthest you've gotten in Ocarina of Time, MILF?

Can't remember exactly, it's been quite awhile since I last played it. I'm reasonably sure the furthest I've ever got is finishing the Death Mountain dungeon.

A great quote that comes to mind when I read this thread is as follows:
"Nothing is so good that somebody somewhere will not hate it."

Firefly.

Maxico
12-23-2006, 09:45 PM
No offense, but I don't know any of their first party studios, or their accomplished games from those studios, please inform me.
THE JACKAL

As far as I'm aware, there isn't any real naming system for most of the in house studios, but the development teams that developed Loco Roco and Shadow of the Collosus, along with the Santa Monica studio that developed God of War (which you incorrectly labled as a third party title) and wholly owned subsidaries such as Naughty Dog stand out as the most noticeable.

When has there ever been a hardware developer that doesn't support their own hardware?

ljkkjlcm9
12-23-2006, 10:02 PM
THE JACKAL

As far as I'm aware, there isn't any real naming system for most of the in house studios, but the development teams that developed Loco Roco and Shadow of the Collosus, along with the Santa Monica studio that developed God of War (which you incorrectly labled as a third party title) and wholly owned subsidaries such as Naughty Dog stand out as the most noticeable.

When has there ever been a hardware developer that doesn't support their own hardware?
I was just saying that Sony is not a game developer. They make all sorts of technological stuff, but their games are basically all third party support.

THE JACKEL

Mittopotahis
12-23-2006, 10:03 PM
I think people compare Twilight Princess too much to the Ocarina of Time. Sure, they are very similar in many ways, but Ocarina was a great game, probably the closest we can ever get to perfection. When you are comparing something to perfection, chances are its gonna look like that pile of dirt outside. But Twilight Princess will still be put down as a Nintendo classic, no matter what one person thinks. Its what everyone thinks, and its been a massive hit. You can have an opinion, I just don't agree. I love the game.

EDIT: With saying that, the water temple sucks :(.

Zeldy
12-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Is Zelda really that good? Bloody hell yes <3
Ive played Twilight Princess, and I loved it. I did, however, find a glitch in it.

DK
12-23-2006, 10:14 PM
I do not see the fuss. I think Zelda is one of the most massively overrated franchises on the planet. It's not bad by any remote stretch, it's all well done and has undeniably some of the highest production values in gaming. They've just never, ever grabbed me. And believe me, I've tried - I can't think of any games I've tried to like more than OoT. I have, quite literally, started playing it seven or eight times to try and get into it, and I never can.

+1 pretty much word for word.

Renmiri
12-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Zelda is from 1984, at the time is was THE Role Play.1986. And if you're implying it was ever an RPG, it wasn't.
Oopsie, my mistake. 1986 is the correct answer. Zelda was launched in Japan on February 21, 1986. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda#_note-gamespot_date)

And yes it was RPG, though as the very first RPG it was very rudimentary. (FF premiered in Japan on December 18, 1987 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy#_note-0), almost 2 years later).

Nowadays there are many RPGS infinitely superior to Zelda but we sentimental types keep a fond place in our hearts for the pioneers :love:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-23-2006, 10:55 PM
And yes it was RPG, though as the very first RPG it was very rudimentary. (FF premiered in Japan on December 18, 1987 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy#_note-0), almost 2 years later).Dragon Quest was the first major console RPG, preceding Final Fantasy by over a year. But this is irrelevant, since Zelda is and always has been an adventure game, not an RPG.

Renmiri
12-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Dragon Quest was the first major console RPG, preceding Final Fantasy by over a year. But this is irrelevant, since Zelda is and always has been an adventure game, not an RPG.
Dragon Quest was released in May 1986, almost 2 months AFTER Zelda was released.

As for Zelda being RPG or Adventure game, you are probably correct but what I meant was that Zelda has introduced many people to the fun of exploring a world, completing missions and enjoying a story while playing on their nintendo or other VG station. Which to me amounts to Role Playing, no matter what the purists dub it. ;)

http://www.dqshrine.com/dq/dq1/dq1head.jpg

... I can't think of any games I've tried to like more than OoT. I have, quite literally, started playing it seven or eight times to try and get into it, and I never can.
+1 pretty much word for word.
Can I confess I felt the same ?

Majora's Mask is much better. OoT starts slow, gets fun for a bit then it just drags on. I enjoyed MM and Wind Waker a lot more. I only finished OoT long after I finished both Majora's Mask and Wind Waker.

Maxico
12-23-2006, 11:41 PM
I was just saying that Sony is not a game developer. They make all sorts of technological stuff, but their games are basically all third party support.

THE JACKAL

Sony is more a cluster of smaller companies under one brand name than anything else.

And what this has to with the new Zelda game is beyond me.

Roto13
12-24-2006, 04:02 AM
I played Twilight Princess for the first time this evening. There was a scene before the water temple that gave me a headache. I think Zelda is turning into an acid trip and I love it. <3

Renmiri
12-24-2006, 04:53 AM
I played Twilight Princess for the first time this evening. There was a scene before the water temple that gave me a headache. I think Zelda is turning into an acid trip and I love it. <3

Water temple already ?!?!? You must be very good!

Are you on the Wii ? I've been playing it on the gamecube and it has been murder. My fingers are in knots after taming the horse on Kakariko village and "jousting" that mounted ogre.

Roto13
12-24-2006, 04:54 AM
I didn't start a new file, I was helping my cousin figure out what to do next on his file. I have a Zelda brain. :P

Rainecloud
12-24-2006, 09:44 AM
EDIT: With saying that, the water temple sucks :(.

Aha, but the Water Temple in Twilight Princess is much easier than the one in OoT, wouldn't you agree? I didn't even get stuck once in the TP version. :p

Roto13
12-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Hell, the water temple in Ocarina of Time: Master Quest is easier than the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time!

Renmiri
12-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Yes!!! Even the Master Quest one is easier than OoT.

But my problem so far has not been the puzzles, but the controls. I imagine they MUST be easier on Wii because on the gamecube they are just impossible!

The last time I got so much trouble was when I switched from a N64 to Gamecube. TP is just ridiculously hard!!!

Rainecloud
12-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Yes!!! Even the Master Quest one is easier than OoT.

But my problem so far has not been the puzzles, but the controls. I imagine they MUST be easier on Wii because on the gamecube they are just impossible!

The last time I got so much trouble was when I switched from a N64 to Gamecube. TP is just ridiculously hard!!!

The controls on the Wii are almost perfect. Everything is easily accessible, and you'll never find yourself irritated. The WiiMote waving sword slash is very satisfying (and easy to do), and the Hero Bow/Slingshot/Clawshot aiming is absolutely spot on. In fact, the aiming is so good, there's no way I could ever go back to the old ways.

My only minor gripes are the D-Pad and the '1' and '2' buttons. In order to change weapons and items, you have to press a direction on the D-Pad (after you've assigned something to the direction). In order to press the D-Pad, I have to shuffle my hand a few centimetres up the WiiMote and then back down to 'A' again afterwards. As you can imagine, changing weapons during a boss fight can be a little irritating when you're being hacked to death whilst you're pressing the D-Pad. Perhaps I just have small hands, though, and can't reach properly. :p

The only other problem, as stated, is the map button (1). It's the same problem as the D-Pad, only slightly worse. I have to shuffle my hand all the way down the WiiMote in order to press the button, and then shuffle back up again, as my fingers won't stretch down the WiiMote that far. Although it only takes a second, it can get quite irritating when you're trying to access your map all the time during a particularly difficult dungeon. Aside from that, the controls are perfect.

ljkkjlcm9
12-24-2006, 09:37 PM
well ever consider using the other hand to press that lower button? I don't know it's just a thought. I think with the Wii controller it's some exploration and tests to find out what's best for certain things.

THE JACKEL

Agent Proto
12-24-2006, 10:33 PM
I don't have any problems pressing (1) or (2) or the D-pad on the Wii-mote. My only gripes though are the (-) and (+) buttons. I usually forget which each button is used, so I tend to press the wrong one when I want to save.

Rainecloud
12-24-2006, 11:09 PM
well ever consider using the other hand to press that lower button? I don't know it's just a thought. I think with the Wii controller it's some exploration and tests to find out what's best for certain things.

THE JACKAL

Yes, I've resorted to doing that, though it doesn't feel natural.

As I said, it's no big deal, and doesn't hamper the gameplay in any way.

KasaiDraco
12-28-2006, 05:43 AM
I don't like Mario OR Zelda. Zelda has a very mediocre story: rescue a princess. Mario, I just don't like it. I'm just not a big Nintendo fan.

Ender
12-28-2006, 04:44 PM
LoZelda = The Princess Bride of games.

LoZelda is a young boy's fairytale world where you get to control the character. Anyone looking for something deeper than that is fanwanking. The games are generally not thoughtful nor thought provoking, they don't examine morality or the nature of society, and they don't resort to generating story with earth-shattering plot twists or non-sensical back history. Link is pretty much nobody...a puppet that enables you to interact with the game world. Zelda is little more than the reason for you to engage on your quest. Ganon is not much deeper than the villain you have to stop. The quests boil down to exploring deserted ancient temples, palaces, castles, and caves to retrieve a part of the "key" that will unlock the final dungeon.

And yet, they are really easy to love, probably because of the simplicity. You get to swing a sword, fire a bow, throw a boomerang, solve puzzles, explore some interesting settings, and save the princess. Simple stuff that Nintendo has implemented well in most of the Zelda incarnations. It boils down to the archetypal one-person adventure that just sort of touches that basic part in the imaginations of many people.

I love the Zelda games, I believe I listed two in my Top 10 games on another thread hereabouts. But what does bother me is the amount of gushing over them. Calling Ocarina of Time the best game ever, well, it's just silly that most of the free world believes that IMO. Even if you grant that they are "the funnest" games out there (I certainly believe that there is a good argument for that), they are not very "mature" in their development and usually fail to blow away in other elements of game design (objectively speaking, graphically, musically, plotwise...these games are nice, even sometimes revolutionary, but rarely excell in any of those areas by today's standards even when the tech-level of their respective systems is taken into account). Anyway, it blows my mind that they, and OoT in particular, are considered the best" games out there to so many people.

NINJA_Ryu
12-28-2006, 05:38 PM
When i examine my "best game eva!" I usually look for a few things.

1.How long it kept me
2. Was i enjoying it?
3. Was i provoked/moved/showed emotion about the ingame charachters?
4. The other things like gameplay, difficulty, plot, etc.

and for me, OOT has to be up there, its not the hooly grail, but you cant dismiss it.

I too dislike gushers :(

VengefulRonin
12-29-2006, 07:46 AM
Zelda is good. Damn good. But that doesnt make it the god of RPGs, just like Halo is good but it isnt the god of FPS games.

I've owned all the Zelda games save for Wind Waker, TP, and the uber hard-to-find ones on that weird Phillips CD-i system. And out of all the ones i've played...i would have to say my favorites are actually the Oracle games on the GBA. So its really all up to personal taste, and hype can be left to rot in the garbage, it doesnt mean a damn thing.

I think the reasons Twilight Princess is getting so much hype are:
1. its a new experience playing a Zelda with the Wii controller
2. Nintendo has no other launches worthy of hyping up

What really annoys me about the hype though, are two things (i like lists):
1. seems to be that since its a new Zelda, it automatically becomes a god worthy of the highest praise
2. people commenting on how the graphics are so lovely

We all know the Wii's graphics are inferior to the PS3 and 360, and it irks me that reviewers become so excited by a new Zelda that they make the graphics sound better than it is. I was in EB Games the other day and they had a PS3 and Wii set up by each other. The PS3 was running a demo of that onimusha ripoff Genji 2 and the Wii was running a demo of Twilight Princess. Guess what? Genji looked great, and Twilight Princess looked pretty damned ugly sitting next to it.

In short, hype annoys me. The new Zelda may be uber great, but its not the god of RPGs. Its like FF12, reviewers orgasm over it but players have widely varied opinions of it.

ljkkjlcm9
12-29-2006, 05:01 PM
sigh, it's prolly the best looking zelda, and a lot of people hated the graphics of wind waker so these graphics are "amazing" comparably. Also, as I have said before... Twilight Princess has GAMECUBE GRAPHICS. It's not the max graphics Wii is capable of.

THE JACKEL

Roto13
12-29-2006, 05:45 PM
The graphics are really good if you remember that it's a GCN game.

Zelda will never be the god of RPGs because of one tiny problem. It's not a frigging RPG. It's an adventure game.

NINJA_Ryu
12-29-2006, 05:52 PM
The graphics are really good if you remember that it's a GCN game.

Zelda will never be the god of RPGs because of one tiny problem. It's not a frigging RPG. It's an adventure game.

QFT

JKTrix
12-29-2006, 06:14 PM
I think it's always best to go into situations with low expectations, because then it's harder to be disappointed.

Twilight Princess wasn't a mind blowing game for me (one who has never played Zelda on a console), but it was darn good. It was good enough for me to not even touch my 360 or PS2--with Gears of War and FF12 respectively freshly purchased for each--until I finished it.

Folks who are into no-gameplay-all-story RPGs, I can understand them not liking something like Zelda or Mario. They can't enjoy a game unless there is some sweeping, epic story with emotional character development and such, something Mario and Zelda aren't so popular for.

Link could still beat the crap out of Cloud anyway. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?p=2036420#post2036420)

Cruise Control
12-29-2006, 06:15 PM
If you made this thread to be an entire Nintendo flame and Sony boost, then not many are going to agree with you. Quick! Get dreddz!

KentaRawr!
12-29-2006, 06:21 PM
Why get Dreddz specifically? None can obliterate a common opinion, whether this opinion is cultivated from wisdom or fanboyism. Only the mass which believes in it can stop the common opinion, but only through spreading a more positive thing to be percieved as truth.

:eep:

Shoeberto
12-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Folks who are into no-gameplay-all-story RPGs, I can understand them not liking something like Zelda or Mario. They can't enjoy a game unless there is some sweeping, epic story with emotional character development and such, something Mario and Zelda aren't so popular for.
It seemed like with Ocarina of Time and onward, they really tried to implement more story development, especially Wind Waker, which did a lot to tie the overall mythos together.

I think people might be jaded towards the series if they came into it a bit late, riding on the hype. I first started playing Zelda when I had no clue at all what it was and became immediately sucked in. A Link to the Past was like 16-bit Morrowind to me back in the day. It was definitely the most unique game I'd ever played, and even today, there are few games that can rival it in their gameplay style.

Verdi666
12-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Nintendo never have and never will be about graphics, the whole point of the Wii is uniqueness and it is fun as hell. I waited Nine and a half hours in the queue to get Zelda TP and I have played it and throughly loved it. I find that games that start slow build up pace and end wonderfully (i.e Zelda) and games that start fast end fast, but it doesn't seem fast. If that makes much sense. I am a die-hard Ninty fan though... I would like to point out that their are some games that start fast and seem fast at the end, Resident Evil, Metriod Prime for example.