PDA

View Full Version : Games with no subtitles...

Peter_20
12-24-2006, 12:03 AM
Alright, sometimes I play games that, for some reason, lack subtitles.
I never really saw why they did.
I mean, sure, I can grasp fast-spoken English (not my first language, though), so I got no real problems, but what about the deaf people?
How the hell are they gonna be able to follow the story if they can't read what the chars are saying?

I've seen this stuff in Turok 2, Dino Crisis and a bunch of other similar games.
Why does anyone want to ditch subtitles?
This is beyond me.
And actually, I sometimes get minor problems from this as well:
in Dino Crisis I thought Rick was saying "the song and the dance" but obviously he was saying "a little song and a little dance".
Then I never understood some of Gail's lines, because until recently I didn't understand words like "ovicerated" and "intestines".
I was sitting there, thinking "what the hell is he saying?"
I even thought Rick went "honey" to Regina, when he actually said "Barney", at least according to Gamefaqs. XD

Mitch
12-24-2006, 12:07 AM
The dinosaurs ate them

Vincent, Thunder God
12-24-2006, 01:58 AM
Yes, I always enjoy subs too, especially when characters have annoying accents or simply don't pronounce things well enough.

They can be a lot of work, I suppose, and for an extra they are likely too much work for some game designers.

I Took the Red Pill
12-24-2006, 02:04 AM
I mean, sure, I can grasp fast-spoken English (not my first language, though), so I got no real problems, but what about the deaf people?
How the hell are they gonna be able to follow the story if they can't read what the chars are saying?
Because alot of people will find text on the screen annoying, and game developers aren't going to be giving much thought to the deaf gaming market.

Odaisé Gaelach
12-24-2006, 02:19 AM
Usually most games nowadays come with subtitles anyway, don't they?

Roto13
12-24-2006, 04:14 AM
Most of them, yes.

The subtitles in Final Fantasy XII actually differ from the actual dialogue.

ljkkjlcm9
12-24-2006, 04:32 AM
the downfall of voiceovers. I prefer text to voices, because then I can mute the game and not disturb others as I play, or listen to my own music.

THE JACKEL

crono_logical
12-24-2006, 04:36 AM
I prefer text/subtitles too, doesn't feel like a game and too much like a movie otherwise :p Plus it allows for different language voiceovers, which they should do more often (*hint japanese voices please*) :D

Yuffie514
12-24-2006, 05:04 AM
it doesn't really bother me since i have no problem with or without them...

vorpal blade
12-24-2006, 08:53 AM
The subtitles in Final Fantasy XII actually differ from the actual dialogue.

I noticed that too. Different translator or was it to make the subs fit the screen?

At any rate, I have a problem with the subtitles: I read instead of listen, so I miss what's going on! But I'm too afraid I'll miss some of the dialogue to turn it off.

I also like subtitles because:

it allows for different language voiceovers, which they should do more often (*hint japanese voices please*)

Some games have it (like Castlevania:LOI, where I learned the words "shinigami" and "tamashii").

It's also nice to see people looking out for us deaf(ish) people.

Rainecloud
12-24-2006, 09:49 AM
I always turn subtitles on in games, just in case one of the characters says something unintelligible. If I find that my latest game doesn't have subtitles, I become irritated.

Peter_20
12-24-2006, 09:52 AM
I always turn subtitles on in games, just in case one of the characters says something unintelligible. If I find that my latest game doesn't have subtitles, I become irritated.Yeah, and it's even worse if the spoken dialogues are extremely low and hard to hear, e.g. in Dino Crisis. :p

Sefie1999AD
12-24-2006, 11:57 AM
I like subtitles too. I don't mind having only voices in strategy games when you click on units, but if there's some story-related dialogue too, I'd like to have subtitles.

Peter_20
12-24-2006, 12:12 PM
This is not exactly a problem or even anything annoying, but I never hear what stuff the chars in Star Ocean yell.
It all goes: "yu-te!" (Ratix), "lalalalalalaine!" (Cius), "tor-cho!" (Iria) and so on. :rolleyes2

Madame Adequate
12-24-2006, 01:35 PM
I always turn subtitles on in games, just in case one of the characters says something unintelligible. If I find that my latest game doesn't have subtitles, I become irritated.

Same here. Especially because so many games take place in times of severe explosions.

Pike
12-24-2006, 03:01 PM
I always use subtitles in games. It's easier for me to follow the story that way and I usually don't have the sound up very high anyway.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-24-2006, 05:29 PM
If they're having problems pronouncing basic words I wonder how they are coping prounincing the names of the dinosaurs
I have very little interest in the story itself so there is rarely much of a strain as far as I'm concerned

Peter_20
12-24-2006, 05:31 PM
If they're having problems pronouncing basic words I wonder how they are coping prounincing the names of the dinosaurs
I have very little interest in the story itself so there is rarely much of a strain as far as I'm concernedBut you need to follow the story in order to progress.
Otherwise you just find yourself running around aimlessly and eventually get fed up with the whole thing, simply because you can't advance any further. :D

LunarWeaver
12-24-2006, 05:42 PM
I like subs. The first time I play something I always leave them on, and if I ever give it another sometimes I'll turn them off, but not always.

I've actually had other people watching me play say,"Why are they saying the words and showing the subtitles both? That's like watching a movie in English with English subs." Unfortunately, I couldn't explain why I like it, because it is true I would never watch a movie like that. Games work in mysterious ways.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-24-2006, 05:42 PM
I follow as much of it as I deem necessary, but I can live without much of the technical waffle, all irrevelant to my level of pleasure, ain't exactly my cup of tea. Seeing that most of the games I own are RPG's anyway they'll usually have done enough to ensnare my interests till the very end so any lack of knowledge I have with the story won't exactly result in a great loss