PDA

View Full Version : The glory of headphones...

Peter_20
12-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Does anyone in here use headphones while playing a game?
I do pretty often, and the main reason is I don't disturb others at all.
I do mostly live in an apartment, but I still have neighbours and other guys who might find my high volume annoying; but I just use my headphones, and then I can turn up the volume really high.
This is great, especially while playing a horror game, because you freak out more when weird stuff happens. :D

Pike
12-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Only when I'm playing a multiplayer PC game, in which case I'll often get on Skype or Ventrilo while we play.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
12-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Does anyone in here use headphones while playing a game?
I do pretty often, and the main reason is I don't disturb others at all.
I do mostly live in an apartment, but I still have neighbours and other guys who might find my high volume annoying; but I just use my headphones, and then I can turn up the volume really high.
This is great, especially while playing a horror game, because you freak out more when weird stuff happens. :D

hahaha, i can imagine your neighbors hearing you freak out for absolute no reason xDD

Spammerman
12-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Only when I'm playing a multiplayer PC game, in which case I'll often get on Skype or Ventrilo while we play.

Whats a ventrilo?

RiseToFall
12-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Only if I'm playing at night.

Pike
12-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Whats a ventrilo?

A type of voice chat software (http://www.ventrilo.com/).

Rase
12-24-2006, 05:10 PM
I always wear headphones whenever I play computer or DS games, they make them sound better and makes it easier for me to get into the game.

Plus the computer I mostly play on (mine) lacks any speakers.

Peter_20
12-24-2006, 05:12 PM
I always wear headphones whenever I play, it sounds better and makes it easier for me to get into the game....plus you feel the stereo sound much better. :D

But it's definitely most useful for horror games; I jumped into the air (LITERALLY) when I played Dino Crisis with headphones and that damn T-rex came crashing through the window. :eek::eek::eek:

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Only for my Gameboy. But when I'm on the PC I jack up the volume. As of lately I'm only playing soccer so it's more of a guy with a funny voice blaring out over-reacting comments rather than infuriating electronic music

Rainecloud
12-24-2006, 07:19 PM
I use headphones all the time, whilst listening to music, watching TV, and playing games. I have a great (and rather expensive) set of USB Super Bass headphones that literally vibrate my face.

They're quite splendid.

Shoeberto
12-24-2006, 08:01 PM
On my PC I do most of the time. I have a nice pair of headphones that make it a much better experience, though there's times when I get tired of being tethered and having my ears immediately assaulted.

Xander
12-24-2006, 09:12 PM
I really don't like wearing headphones...I don't know, I just feel so closed into the sound... and then my ears hurt >> But I probably don't have a great pair.

Peter_20
12-24-2006, 10:09 PM
I use headphones all the time, whilst listening to music, watching TV, and playing games. I have a great (and rather expensive) set of USB Super Bass headphones that literally vibrate my face.

They're quite splendid.So your face goes "vrrrrrr" while you're sitting there?
That sounds pretty goddamn funny. :D

Mirage
12-24-2006, 10:35 PM
I actually prefer two speakers in front of me instead of headphones. When using headphones, the sounds feel like they're inside your head instead of in front of you. Furthermore, it sounds really bad when a sound is *only* in your left headphone, and the right side is completely silent, it feels completely unnatural, because natural sounds are never like that. However, my headphones deliver a higher quality sound than my low-cost PC speakers, so I usually go for them. When I play video games, I never use headphones.

Madame Adequate
12-25-2006, 12:57 AM
When I'm at the PC, my headphones are on constantly. I don't even feel them anymore, they're like a lovely plastic skull extension. It's got a mic, too, if I ever want to Vent it up, but I never do because I have severe issues over vocal communications with people I don't know :p

For console stuff though, it's just normal television ftw.

Yuffie514
12-25-2006, 01:05 AM
very rarely, except i did use it once while playing an MMO, to avoid distracting others in the dead of night. otherwise, the volume is going to be very low...

Peter_20
12-25-2006, 01:05 AM
When I'm at the PC, my headphones are on constantly. I don't even feel them anymore, they're like a lovely plastic skull extension. It's got a mic, too, if I ever want to Vent it up, but I never do because I have severe issues over vocal communications with people I don't know :pHahaha, that's so me. :thumb:

blackmage_nuke
12-25-2006, 01:45 PM
On my computer I have bad speakers and bad headphones but when i use them both at the same time the good aspects of one cancels out the bad aspects of the other therefore giving me good sound quality :D

But when i dont want to bother people or when i dont want them to know what im doing I turn off the speakers

-

escobert
12-25-2006, 02:31 PM
Well, for me it depends on what is on TV and what I'm about to play. If there is somthing I liek on TV then I'll play my game without earphones unless I need to use Vent or Teamspeak. But like Counter Strike Source I almost always wear my headphones since I can tell easier when people are sneaking up on me and whatnot. But for say Guild Wars or Company of Heros I stick with my computer speakers.

KoShiatar
12-25-2006, 06:11 PM
I use headphones because they give me better sound quality, plus I do not disturb anyone.

Rocket Edge
12-25-2006, 06:39 PM
I use headphones because they give me better sound quality, plus I do not disturb anyone.

Samuraid
12-25-2006, 07:05 PM
I use headphones when I need to game without disturbing anyone else. (like a LAN party)

However, when I'm by myself in my room, I don't use them because headphones generally do not offer 5.1 surround sound. :) I've died before in Counter Strike because I was wearing stereo headphones and couldn't hear that my opponent was behind me.

Vermachtnis
12-25-2006, 07:20 PM
I used to headphones only when I'm traveling with my DS, until I realized it sounds so much better when they are in. Now I'm almost always using headphones when playing DS, even if I'm home alone.

Ender
12-26-2006, 03:14 PM
I use headphones as often as I can. I hate disturbing my neighbors and by blocking out most of the outside noise I feel more emersed in the game.

Pike
12-26-2006, 03:37 PM
When I'm at the PC, my headphones are on constantly. I don't even feel them anymore, they're like a lovely plastic skull extension. It's got a mic, too, if I ever want to Vent it up, but I never do because I have severe issues over vocal communications with people I don't know :p

I only ever vent or skype with people that I know... and about 90% of the time that I'm playing a multiplayer game, I'm playing it with people that I know XD

The main reason why I don't wear headphones very often is this: My parents are gone like all the time and that means I'm babysitting my four younger sisters. I have to be able to hear them and I also have to be able to hear the phone. So... no headphones.

Jowy
12-26-2006, 04:08 PM
I use headphones with my DS Lite. It makes Electroplankton shine.

fantasyjunkie
12-26-2006, 06:23 PM
A word of advice, don't try to save money on headphones. Trust me, if you buy a good pair you will see and hear how paying the extra $$$ is well worth it.

Verdi666
12-29-2006, 10:33 PM
I use head phones a lot as I live next to an Old Persons Home and they complain, its much cheaper than soundproofing your room, though that would be quite cool. Also in games such as resi and games which are centered around sound (guitar hero!) they really increase the experience.