PDA

View Full Version : Quickening questions (alliteration!)

Disco Potato
12-25-2006, 12:39 AM
Is it possible to finish the game (main storyline and most of the sidequests) without using Quickenings? If so, is the game significantly harder without them? I've realized that I suck at pulling them off, and that I'd like to save the necessary mp and LP for different things.

Moon Rabbits
12-25-2006, 01:23 AM
Yum.

It is possible to beat the game without them, I think? I don't think there is a part that forces you to use them. In fact, using Quickenings has actually made boss battles harder for me. I use all my MP, the boss loses about half it's HP, then I'm struggling to keep up since I have 0 MP left.

It's easier not to use quickenings.

nik0tine
12-25-2006, 01:32 AM
The beginning of the game is difficult without quickenings, but once you get to the middle you only use quickenings to finish off bosses anyway.

Timerk
12-25-2006, 01:36 AM
It would slow you down in the beginning of the game, but not so much for the last couple of bosses (starting around Giruvegan).

Quickenings are ok, you just have to know how to use them, and have your party set-up right. I always controlled Vaan or Ashe, and they never used magic, then I had one light magic user, and one heavy White Mage. So, when it got time for a Quickening, Vaan or Ashe always started with all their Mist Charges in tact, and the light magic user had most of theirs, so it didn't hurt me that much so long as I got a good chain going and killed the boss. If not, I just subbed out my healer and finished the fight that way.

You just have to use some strategy with Quickenings, you cannot abuse them like you can Limits in other games, but they are still very helpful, esp. with some of the early bosses who enraged when their health got critical. It let you put the finishing touch on bosses like Ghis and Bergan before they could combo you to death.

Renmiri
12-25-2006, 03:43 PM
I stopped using Quickenings long before Giruvegan. It's just a hassle to heal the party and counter status ailments w/o MP to do Cura/ga or Esuna.

I do use it for bosses sometime, cause I love the cutscenes :D

animegrl357
12-26-2006, 02:54 AM
i always use quickenings cause they're awesome! they give me a boost anyway. you could just fight them off. i acutally tried fighting the mindflayer, a hunt, and i almost beat it! but it went crazy on me and 3 of my people died. :cry:

Dynast-Kid
12-26-2006, 04:17 PM
The only time where a Quickening is forced is when Basch uses Fulminating Darkness on the Air Cutter Remora during Reks's portion of the game. But even that doesn't count...

Also, I use the Quickenings for two reasons:

1.) Watch the animations and see what Concurrence I can trigger.

2.) Get rid of a boss's minions.

Which brings me to this story...

I was fighting Dr.Cid in the Draklor Laboratory, and I used a Quickening to wipe out his Rook minions, right?

Well, I triggered Black Hole, the strongest attack in the entire game (It can deal well over 60,000 damage to the primary target and substantial damage to any enemies around it!).

Anyways, Black Hole only killed one of the Rooks, while the other three were barely damaged (even though the Rooks only have 9,859 HP, which menas they should've been killed by the attack), and the attack barely dented Dr.Cid's HP bar.

I was so pissed! I still don't know what happened, but I can tell you that I let out all my frustration on Dr.Cid.