PDA

View Full Version : All RPG:s should feature the possibility of renaming your chars ANYTIME!

Peter_20
12-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Fact!

Nominus Experse
12-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Why would anyone want such a feature?

Peter_20
12-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Why would anyone want such a feature?In case you suddenly regret the name you use, and easily want to change it. :)

Dreddz
12-25-2006, 11:56 AM
I use default on all RPG's anyway, unless your forced to name. Im not bothered.

NeoCracker
12-25-2006, 11:57 AM
What if theirs Voice acting though.

Also, I like they names they have, as many RPG's name the characters what they do for a reason. The names tend to reflect somehting about the character. Such as Vivi from FFIX, his name means life, or something.

Nominus Experse
12-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Why would anyone want such a feature?In case you suddenly regret the name you use, and easily want to change it. :)
How would you feel if some random person suddenly changed your name, without your consent or concern? These are fragile minds we are dealing with here. These characters usually have no home, are missing at least one parent, their sibling is evil to some extent, have strange powers that relate somehow to destiny, which effectively adds a substantial weight upon their shoulders, etc...

We would break their little minds if we were to suddenly change their names. An identity crisis would simply be too much, I fear.

Peter_20
12-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Let's imagine you change Cloud's name to Cludd by accident.
Don't you wanna have the possibility to quickly change it back DURING the game? :)

Dreddz
12-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Let's imagine you change Cloud's name to Cludd by accident.
Don't you wanna have the possibility to quickly change it back DURING the game? :)

You should have enough sense to double check the names before continuing.

Jowy
12-25-2006, 12:06 PM
I leave the names the same. Unless we're talking FFVI here, in which point I change all of the CAPITALIZED FOR EMPHASIS names to the more aesthetically pleasing proper ones.

NeoCracker
12-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Plus Cludd is a cooler name.

Peter_20
12-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Plus Cludd is a cooler name.I invented it myself, so thank you. :D

NeoCracker
12-25-2006, 12:18 PM
But you wanted to change it back, so you fail.

escobert
12-25-2006, 01:04 PM
I use the defualts unless I have a funny theme or something reminds me of a lolish name.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-25-2006, 01:06 PM
If I really wanted to change a character's name I would probably force myself to start the game from scratch aswell. That's just my little rule. But I only tend to play RPG's once and with the default names so there isn't going to be much of a problem

ljkkjlcm9
12-25-2006, 01:19 PM
I don't think it's required, but having something like the Rename Card in FFVI was a cool feature. Even though my brother and I fought over renaming Sabin, accidently added an A... Sabina, and I called him that for years.

THE JACKEL

Renmiri
12-25-2006, 04:20 PM
I never rename mine!

Laddy
12-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Nope... default foreva!

:) Bill
:( Joe
:mad2: Mac
:p Don

You see? I stick with the default names!

Zeromus_X
12-25-2006, 07:49 PM
I only rename them if there's a name I prefer more, but for the most part, I leave them alone. It's not necessarily always required.

Vermachtnis
12-25-2006, 07:55 PM
I like renaming characters to something random. It could be a nickname like in FF IV and only been seen on non-voice acted parts and in battles and in the menu and ect.

crono_logical
12-25-2006, 08:18 PM
A nickname option on top of the regular name could work then, especially if done right with regards to dialogue (spoken or not) :p I've seen that once or twice, but can't remember where from :p

Peter_20
12-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Think of it like this:

NO NAME CHANGE POSSIBILITY: you must leave names alone
NAME CHANGE POSSIBILITY: you can leave names alone AND change them

I find it extremely weird how people can even think about answering "no" on such a wuestion. :eek:

NeoCracker
12-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Why is it strange? Especially with VA's involved, you would never hear them say the main characters name, which was strange in FF X.

For not considering this, you fail again peter.

Roto13
12-25-2006, 08:37 PM
I leave the names the same. Unless we're talking FFVI here, in which point I change all of the CAPITALIZED FOR EMPHASIS names to the more aesthetically pleasing proper ones.

Yes!

Dr Aum
12-25-2006, 09:01 PM
There's already too much name-changing. It's called localization.

Madame Adequate
12-25-2006, 09:11 PM
I rarely have any desire to change a character's name, because it's part of them. If I can change it, that changes who they are. Which works just fine in WoW or Morrowind; less so in more strongly authorially controlled works like FFX. Plus, as that game evidenced, now that VA is becoming a pretty ubiquitous feature in games, the ability to change a character's name becomes rather more tricky.

RiseToFall
12-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Never change them, so I really don't mind.

Clouded Sky
12-25-2006, 09:34 PM
The only time I can remember changing someone's name in recent memory is when me and my buddies changed Cloud to Jesus when we were playing through FFVII first term. It really made for some hilarious dialouge, but otherwise, this should never even be an option.

Markus. D
12-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Cludd Strife B)

Shoeberto
12-26-2006, 02:02 AM
Word.

Straight-up, though, that kinda hurts immersion. Unless that nickname idea is used. Besides, if you make a spelling mistake, it's likely going to be near the beginning of the game or save point, so why not just restart? And if that's too much of a hassle, why not just stick it out?

You kids and your modern conveniences. FFIV has spoiled you all.

Ryth
12-26-2006, 02:16 AM
I keep the default names, so for me; this option would have no use.

Moon Rabbits
12-26-2006, 02:18 AM
Why is it strange? Especially with VA's involved, you would never hear them say the main characters name, which was strange in FF X.

For not considering this, you fail again peter.

I thought that that was handled well in FFX. I rarely noticed that Tidus' name was never spoken.

Behold the Void
12-26-2006, 03:06 AM
With the increasing use of voice acting in games, I don't want to see any games with the option of changing someone's name again.

While handled fairly well, X just BUGGED me because they never say the guy's name. Imagine having a game where nobody ever says their name because it's fully voice-acted but you can change everyone's name.

That would piss me off to no end.

Levian
12-26-2006, 03:35 AM
Renaming chars is good, but not anytime. Once will do just fine. I'm fine with giving it up for voice acting, though. :p Some names are really stupid and I'd hate to get stuck with them. Examples: Reina, Bartz, Dagger, Amarant. Most names in FFXII seems pretty stupid too, but voice acting made me grow on names like Lulu and Seymour even though they are silly.

Eiko Guy
12-26-2006, 03:50 AM
IF you dont like it then you could reset cause you name characters pretty early.

Yuffie514
12-26-2006, 07:35 AM
it would only make more sense if it were like a PSX game, since voice-acting is becoming a bigger part of the video-game industry. i often question why i named a certain character with a specific name though. i have no problems with most default names.

Verdi666
12-29-2006, 10:11 PM
I usually use the set names anyway unless im PLaying FF8 were you can make Ifrit say "Oh no they have toilet seat" im imature I Know but the set names usually make the RPG feel more original.

Ashley Schovitz
12-29-2006, 10:23 PM
The only person I want to rename is Dagger. It wouldn't work well with voice acting just see how it went in X nobody in the game asked for his name, called him by his name, or even knew his name.

Araciel
12-29-2006, 10:27 PM
no i think once you make the decision, it should stick

Little Blue
12-29-2006, 10:46 PM
I prefer default names so I wouldn't want the option.

tidus_rox
12-30-2006, 01:57 AM
I voted no, however I was suprised to see that alot of the people agreed with me!

My reasoning: Final Fantasy X is my favourite game but only one thing annoyed me: Tidus's name was never spoken. He was always referred to as "him" or "you". Either way it would have annoyed me, after finding out that his name is pronounced "tee'duss" (how random). So if there is voice acting or even if there is not, I always keep the default name cuz it is just so much better.