PDA

View Full Version : did this happen to anybody else?

Ultima_Weapon
12-25-2006, 09:27 PM
before Final Fantasy 12 was relased out in stores. I, just like any other FF fans had waited patienty with the sense that atleast it would of been worth the wait and the $70+ of this game(collectors edition). I remember the excitement and the contribution I was giving for Squenix because of the thought that this was going to be it and it was worth the hype, afterall FFX-2 was such a big failure and dissapointment and that perhaps Squenix learned it's lesson but for some reason after playing the game half through I just didn't want to go further in the game anymore and I'm never will. Sometimes, I have to force myself to think about trying to beat it and move on but for months now the game has been left untouched, it's like it doesn't even exist to me because it's just not in my interest. I don't know why wether it was the storyline, gameplay or the characters that left me off the mood for this title but I fear that I'm going to lose my liking of final fantasy games in the future. I still do play classical final fantasies but it doesn't show me any evidence that I can be the loyal fan I was to Squenix anymore. Final Fantasy 13 and Versus 13 don't look promising either. Did this happen to anyone else, who aren't playing the game anymore(not even showing the need to continue to beating it because its a final fantasy)?.

Remon
12-25-2006, 09:46 PM
before Final Fantasy 12 was relased out in stores. I, just like any other FF fans had waited patienty with the sense that atleast it would of been worth the wait and the $70+ of this game(collectors edition). I remember the excitement and the contribution I was giving for Squenix because of the thought that this was going to be it and it was worth the hype, afterall FFX-2 was such a big failure and dissapointment and that perhaps Squenix learned it's lesson but for some reason after playing the game half through I just didn't want to go further in the game anymore and I'm never will. Sometimes, I have to force myself to think about trying to beat it and move on but for months now the game has been left untouched, it's like it doesn't even exist to me because it's just not in my interest. I don't know why wether it was the storyline, gameplay or the characters that left me off the mood for this title but I fear that I'm going to lose my liking of final fantasy games in the future. I still do play classical final fantasies but it doesn't show me any evidence that I can be the loyal fan I was to Squenix anymore. Final Fantasy 13 and Versus 13 don't look promising either. Did this happen to anyone else, who aren't playing the game anymore(not even showing the need to continue to beating it because its a final fantasy)?.

First thing first things first FFX2 is NO failure.This is becase people have worked hard on it and spent a lot of money on it.You can say you don't like it but sayin it is a failure is WRONG really WRONG!I know this game isn't the "best" final fantasy square enix has produced but it's still quite enjyable.I'm sure that many people like this game so it's definately NO failure.

And as for the topic no i don't get that kind of feeling FF12 is a great game!

Setharion
12-25-2006, 10:20 PM
Sad to say, but get used too it man...nothing is sacred anymore. People have a fear of anything that is left untouched no matter how good it is.

Final Fantasy XII is ok...i forced myself to learn to like it, but its not anywhere near the final fantasy i grew up with and came to love after 20 years here.

As i said, nothing is sacred anymore. People care more about innovation than they do a solid game, thats all its about anymore. If per say Final Fantasy XIII turns out to be like old school and awesome, guess what...FFXIV would have to change it up because people have the attention span of a gnewt anymore and the idea of a series staying the same is complete and utter destruction in their minds, as if the world is about to blow up is how people act towards anything that might stay the same.

So i just learned to go with it with FFXII. Inside of it there is a somewhat decent game but heres the key...its not final fantasy to me. It feels like a new series therefore final fantasy is dead to me to be honest, because its not the same. And people will say "but why do you want it to be the same?"...and my rebuttal to that is that with each older final fantasy there was brand new characters, storyline, weapons, a world to see, new friendships, betrayals, new musical score...all of this combined into an awesome configuration that worked perfect with random battles and classic final fantasy combat...i grew to love it, i grew to love the fact that its roots were still intact from the very first one i played back in 1987.

But that is all over now...we are in the era of gaming in which no one is happy for longer than a few weeks until its 'old' or 'repetitive' or the fact that so many kids these days have ADD and need everything to run at the speed of light to have their interest level up.

Having a seperate battle screen in which you plan out your attack isnt fast enough, it isnt cool enough...so devs cater to these ones and therefore you have what you have right now, and that is the slow but sure death to 'classic' turn based combat in games.

Dragon Quest, the other beast in true classic rpg greatness will now be a simple hack n slash type game in light of Ys or gauntlet or old school Zelda...totally ending the one true aspec that defines the series and that was classic turn based combat...sad day when i see this happening.

But meh...ive learned to just give up. Give it time and all youll see people say is "come on man, get with the times...blah blah" or "why do you want it to stay the same?!" etc....instead of just like i said, taking something and making it sacred to them.

For some reason, turn based combat is being snubbed away from classic RPG gaming, instead of letting it still be its own entity.

I dont mind games to be real time action, infact i love kingdom hearts and dark cloud etc...because those games werent turn based to begin with.

But when you take a turn based game, and make it into a real time action game...thats when its just a huge shame.

Edit: As ive said before too...people would sh*t a massive brick if say Disgaea went from a strategy game to an action oriented game, or if God of War went from action to turn based...people would cry like little girls. Yet, us fans of classic turn based rpg games have to 'get with the times'.

Roto13
12-25-2006, 11:49 PM
I don't see why people are so afraid of change. I wouldn't want to play a game that's just like VII or VIII or IX or X.

Dewprisms
12-26-2006, 01:42 AM
Has anyone besides me noticed that most of the FFXII haters can't even spell their own rants in their posts.

-10 points to you!

Timerk
12-26-2006, 01:58 AM
Has anyone besides me noticed that most of the FFXII haters can't even spell their own rants in their posts.

It's just you. There are a lot of FF XII lovers who can't spell/don't have good grammar. Welcome to the internet.

I actually liked most of the new things in XII, I thought the battle system was well done, although I think some of the customization was a little too simple. Still, it was a great effort to bring some things to FF that were new to the series.

My bigger problem were the things from old games which were left out, like storyline and characterization :choc2:.

Renmiri
12-26-2006, 02:05 AM

An ad hominem attack and a common fallacy. XII fanatics sometimes do try to imply only the "intelligent gamers" will like XII's political intrigue and "serious" themes but they forget that anyone who has read some history books or watched some biblical themed movies has seen this "revolutionary" concept of empire and politics done better just about a million times.

Stick to defending the game on it's merits, ad hominem attacks to anyone who does not agree with you show ignorance not intelligence.

My bigger problem were the things from old games which were left out, like storyline and characterization :choc2:.
Me too! Though I have to disagree with the thread startr. I certainly enjoyed the game enough to justify it's price. It's just not one of the best FF because it lacks in some areas, in my view. Some areas do kick butt. Like the graphics, world design and battle system (excluding summons).

Setharion
12-26-2006, 03:34 AM
I don't see why people are so afraid of change. I wouldn't want to play a game that's just like VII or VIII or IX or X.

And i dont understand why people are so afraid to say they like something and dont need it to change.