PDA

View Full Version : hmmm.....PSP?

.:kerrod:.
12-25-2006, 11:24 PM
is it still worth buying? because i really want one :(, of course, i discovered this too late to ask for it for christmas, and although i have enough money, the parents are iffy

Dreddz
12-25-2006, 11:27 PM
Depends on what you want, if your into fighters, get one, definately. If you want more original titles that arent rehashes or linked with other console games, then you could wait a little longer. If none of that bothers you though, get one, theres alot of great games on the system and alot of good games to come.

Xaven
12-25-2006, 11:47 PM
LocoRoco is all the reason you need to buy a PSP.

Zeromus_X
12-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. :)

It would be reason enough for me. :cat:

12-26-2006, 12:10 AM
cool, thanks guys

Timerk
12-26-2006, 12:20 AM
If you could just buy one portable, I don't see why you wouldn't get a DS. The PSP looks wonderful on paper, but I am starting to doubt Sony will even be able to support it, especially when you consider some of the great games on the DS.

For the record, I don't have a DS, but I do own a PSP, which is currently collecting dust in my room.

Cookie
12-26-2006, 12:22 AM
PSP's are good, DS's are equally as good, try either. :D

nik0tine
12-26-2006, 12:32 AM

It would will be reason enough for me. :cat:

fantasyjunkie
12-26-2006, 04:04 AM

I agree, I have both and neither one is better than the other.

Timerk
12-26-2006, 05:09 AM

You're just wrong.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you are just wrong.

12-26-2006, 10:59 AM
If you could just buy one portable, I don't see why you wouldn't get a DS. The PSP looks wonderful on paper, but I am starting to doubt Sony will even be able to support it, especially when you consider some of the great games on the DS.

For the record, I don't have a DS, but I do own a PSP, which is currently collecting dust in my room.

ill have it :D, ill even buy it off you.....if you live in australia, which i highly doubt :( but if u do, i would LOVE to buy it :D:D:D

KentaRawr!
12-26-2006, 11:44 AM
As Dreddz said, if you're a fan of fighting games, it's definitely a good system to buy. There's a lot of homebrewed programs for it, too, so you might want to check that out.

Dreddz
12-26-2006, 12:25 PM

You're just wrong.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you are just wrong.

How? For the record, there alot of good games on the system, your just not playing them.

Timerk
12-26-2006, 01:05 PM
The only reason anybody would buy a PSP over a DS is because they are being loyal to the Sony brand. The PSP is a fine machine with a lot of potential, but it just doesn't have the software to compete with what the DS can put out there. I don't think anyone would advise buying the PSP over the DS unless they had an agenda, and I will just leave it at that.

Larahl
12-26-2006, 01:18 PM
I would buy a PSP, but after the creator of Ico, and Shadow of the Colossus will make the game he said he want to do for it.

Polnareff
12-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Oh, bull. PSP is just as good as DS. I know because I have both.

I've had my DS for damn near two years now, and all I've heard is how great such-and-such game is only to be disappointed when playing these so-called AAA titles. As of now, most of the titles that wow me on DS aren't even popular games (except for Phoenix Wright and FFIII).

The DS's library of games is pretty overrated. The best defense that non-PSP-owning Sony-slammers can come up with as of now is that "DS has an insanely good game library, better than PSP's," which is pretty much a lie, as both handhelds have their good games and their bad games.

KentaRawr!
12-26-2006, 01:59 PM
The only reason anybody would buy a PSP over a DS is because they are being loyal to the Sony brand. The PSP is a fine machine with a lot of potential, but it just doesn't have the software to compete with what the DS can put out there. I don't think anyone would advise buying the PSP over the DS unless they had an agenda, and I will just leave it at that.

While I'm not exactly fond of the PSP, I highly doubt that the only reason one would prefer the PSP over the DS would be being loyal to Sony. They could actually like the games, or perhaps they're interested in the homebrew. Maybe they'd prefer the PSP over the DS because they see naught in most of the DS's games. What people like you don't seem to realize is that in cases like these, there's no right or wrong.

Timerk
12-26-2006, 02:24 PM
What people like you don't seem to realize is that in cases like these, there's no right or wrong.

The PSP is a fine machine with a lot of potential,

What do you want from me, blood?

Sure, all opinions are subjective, but everything isn't always shades of gray. By any stretch, the DS has beated the PSP in terms of gameplay innovation and software. While someone could enjoy the PSP as much (if not more) than the DS, objectivly, the DS is just a much better buy right now if you can only get one portable system. As of today, the Nintendo system is more attractive than the PSP. Sony might improve this, but historically, no one has ever come close to providing the portable product Nintendo does. Both commercially and artistically, the DS has beaten out the PSP. That is just a fact.

At this point, calling the PSP anything more than a system with potential would just be disingenuous, and saying that the PSP is just as good as the DS is just wrong. Sorry, but at some point the Sony fans are going to have to come to grips with this.

Maxico
12-26-2006, 03:15 PM
I would just like to say that I have a PSP, and there are actually more games that I want to buy for it than I have the money for.

Which might not be saying much because I'm a little poor, but you really arn't going to simply run out of good games to buy for it.

That said, if you really wanted to get the best out of you PSP, the ship has sailed. New PSP's use a different motherboard to older ones that are incompatable with homebrew programs. And considering some of the recent advances (for example, the offical PS1 emulator's been cracked allowing you to rip any of your PS1 games and play them on the go with perfect emulation), that really is a bit of a shame.

I would say, look at the top rated games for each system, both systems have enough games to keep you satisfied for a while, decide which ones appeal to you the most and make a choice based on that.

Polnareff
12-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Both commercially and artistically, the DS has beaten out the PSP.

At this point, calling the PSP anything more than a system with potential would just be disingenuous, and saying that the PSP is just as good as the DS is just wrong. Sorry, but at some point the Sony fans are going to have to come to grips with this.

So the more commercial hype a system has, the better it makes the system? Maybe in La-La Land. :tongue:

DS is an innovative handheld, but how many games have actually used its innovation or even used it in a practical way? Maybe about five or six games. If you're getting it for innovation, you're better off getting a Wii instead (which is actually using its innovative controller to the fullest).

The DS is proving why Nintendo is the king of gimmicky innovations. I mean, seriously, it's like them to innovate and then have the third-party developers not utilize it. Even Nintendo themselves aren't utilizing their own functions.

The PSP, while costly, doesn't need a gimmick to keep it afloat. The only thing wrong is that a lot of games on it are ports, and the ports cost a lot (though only about 5 bucks more than the DS games). That and Sony is intent on milking money out of people with their peripherals and using the PS3 connectivity to make a quick buck as well. But there are still many great original games on it, about as many as the DS has.

Sorry for derailing your thread, Krod91. I'd say the PSP is definitely worth it at this point. For next year, there are a lot of games being planned for it, along with all the good games already out on it.

Timerk
12-26-2006, 03:33 PM
So the more commercial hype a system has, the better it makes the system? Maybe in La-La Land. :tongue:

The PSP actually got way more commercial hype than the DS, but the DS is way more popular and the better seller because it didn't cost a ton coming out of the gate, and the games are better which makes more people want to get it.

GTA rehashes aside, I don't think the PSP has come out with a mainstream title that makes people really want to play the system, and that is why it has floundered so much when compared to the DS.

Dreddz
12-26-2006, 05:10 PM
GTA rehashes aside, I don't think the PSP has come out with a mainstream title that makes people really want to play the system, and that is why it has floundered so much when compared to the DS.

Metal Gear Solid : Portable Ops.

Roto13
12-26-2006, 05:24 PM

The only original PSP game I'd want to buy.

Timerk
12-26-2006, 05:41 PM
The only original PSP game I'd want to buy.

...and it was just released this year. Pretty sad, huh?

It would have done so much for the PSP if they would have started out with this one instead of the pseudo-card games. Now, it is just a little too late :(.

Necronopticous
12-26-2006, 06:21 PM
The PSP has finally gotten to the point where it has enough good games to merit owning one, in my opinion.
Hot Shots Gold: Open Tee
LocoRoco
Lumines
Lumines II
Every Extend Extra
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Metal Gear AC!D
Metal Gear AC!D^2
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Me & My Katamari
Gitaroo Man Lives!
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core (Coming Soon)
Definitely worth having.

Timerk
12-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Metroid Prime Hunters
New Super Mario Brothers
Pheonix Wright
Mario Kart DS
Animal Crossing
Final Fantasy III
Castlevania: PoR
Trauma Center

That right there is a pretty good list, especially when you consider the best PSP games include the devisive Metal Gear Acid series, two Lumines games which are clones of each other, and a yet to be released FFVII game (and we know how well those have turned out).

That negativity aside, I am not really saying the PSP is useless...but, if you could only buy one portable, you have to go with the DS. If you are lucky enough to have both, this prolly doesn't mean much, but I have to pick and choose what systems I buy. Looking back on it, the DS has a much stronger software lineup, while the PSP never really got off the ground.

Necronopticous
12-26-2006, 06:50 PM
If it's a choice between the the DS and the PSP, definitely go for the DS.

They're both worth having though, if you can afford it.

Dreddz
12-26-2006, 06:52 PM
The PSP has finally gotten to the point where it has enough good games to merit owning one, in my opinion.
LocoRoco
Lumines
Lumines II
Every Extend Extra
Metal Gear AC!D
Metal Gear AC!D^2
Me & My Katamari
Gitaroo Man Lives!
Definitely worth having.

You forgot

WTF
Tekken Dark Ressurection
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
Guilty Gear Judgement
Mega Man Powered Up
Power Stone Collection

Markus. D
12-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Guilty Gear Judgement ^-^!

Roto13
12-26-2006, 08:35 PM
LocoRoco
Lumines
Lumines II
Every Extend Extra
Metal Gear AC!D
Metal Gear AC!D^2
Me & My Katamari
Gitaroo Man Lives!
Definitely worth having.

You forgot

WTF
Tekken Dark Ressurection
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
Guilty Gear Judgement
Mega Man Powered Up
Power Stone Collection

Those were probably omitted for being ports and rehashes.

Jowy
12-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Valkyrie Profile and Gitaroo Man are ports. :P

And the Ghoul Powder cutscene in VP:S is worth the price of admission for the game alone.

Polnareff
12-26-2006, 09:36 PM
LocoRoco
Lumines
Lumines II
Every Extend Extra
Metal Gear AC!D
Metal Gear AC!D^2
Me & My Katamari
Gitaroo Man Lives!
Definitely worth having.

You forgot

WTF
Mega Man Powered Up

Those were probably omitted for being ports and rehashes.

WTF isn't a port. It's an entirely new game. Mega Man Powered Up is a remake, a very good remake that deserves to be bought for an endless amount of reasons. It's an insult to call it a rehash. There are other great games for it like Exit and Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins, neither of which are remakes or ports, too.

And for whoever said the PSP "cost a ton out of the gate" need I remind you that Sony loses a lot of money for each PSP made. We're all lucky they were only selling it for 250 bucks (now 159 bucks in most places).

Do you know how much another company would have charged for it if they had made the same exact product? Probably upwards of 350 bucks due to all the stuff it can do in addition to playing games.

I know someone's gonna be like "I just buy handhelds to play games" in response to this post and that's understandable, but Sony wanted to make a portable media device that does pretty much everything and they did. It wouldn't be a valid point to bring up, IMO.

I mean, the DS is great and all, but it's not the holy grail every Nintendo fanboy claims it is. And neither is the PSP.

NINJA_Ryu
12-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Dont flame me for being a nintendo fanboi, because this isnt my goal.

As far as the games you mentioned, i wont go there, since i lack a PSP.

And comparitively, with it starting with 250 and the DS for less, to most it didi "cost a ton out of the gate".

You cant assume what other companies would have done.

Lastly, I have heard (cant confirm) that thier is a add on that allows the DS to play music (movies i hear too) so that it does as much as PSP for less.

Also, the DS has made enough money to release a updated,better verison called DS lite.

I have yet to hear of a release of a new PSP system.

Dreddz
12-26-2006, 10:40 PM

Then you should of done some research. (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/sony-psp2-to-debut-in-2007-says-psm-197717.php)

Timerk
12-26-2006, 10:51 PM
And for whoever said the PSP "cost a ton out of the gate" need I remind you that Sony loses a lot of money for each PSP made. We're all lucky they were only selling it for 250 bucks (now 159 bucks in most places).

How much is Sony paying you for this?

NINJA_Ryu
12-26-2006, 11:34 PM
now now timerk, calm down, halt with the conspiracy theories. :P

And thank you Dreddz for informin us on that, though it is still a good year and a half behind DS lite.

Roto13
12-27-2006, 01:48 AM
A reMAKE is still a reHASH, ducky.

Ouch!
12-27-2006, 03:20 AM

It would will was reason enough for me. :cat:
I got one for Christmas, just need a bloody memory stick now. >_>

Polnareff
12-27-2006, 05:25 PM
A reMAKE is still a reHASH, ducky.
A rehash is a port of a game that has already been released that has had little to nothing changed from the previous game. That is not the case for MMPU, which has had pretty much everything changed, even the continuity. Now, Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX is definitely a rehash. Almost nothing changed except for a couple modes here and there and one new character.

I don't get the "ducky" thing but whatever. I wasn't trying to flame anyone earlier, I just think it's absurd how much fanboyism there is against the PSP in this thread (not directed at you btw Roto13). That's basically what's killing the doggone thing anyway.

And most of it is from people who have never even touched a PSP (but I'll take Timerk's word for it when he says he has a PSP). I have both handhelds and like them equally and it's so annoying when people say the DS is the holy grail and the PSP is crap, just because it's from Sony. And all that BS about Sony milking money when pretty much all companies make promises they don't keep and milk money for their products. That is the whole point of any company nowadays anyhow. Square-Enix does it, Nintendo does it, Capcom does it, every company.

Both handhelds have great games, both have crap games, and both of them have pretty much the same ratio of good to crap. Anyone who wants to dispute that is clearly compensating for something that they lack. And it's probably either a PSP, a DS, or a brain in this case.

Here's my unabridged answer--check out a list of PSP games and a list of DS games, try to find screenshots/reviews of them, and see which games you might like more. If Mario/Donkey Kong/RPGs are your thing, and you want a different way to play (some of) your games, DS is the way to go. If you like Metal Gear Solid, shooting, or fighting games, PSP is good for that.

And sorry for the long off topic posts in this thread. This'll be my last one for this thread. :D

Dreddz
12-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Yeah, Astronite pretty much hit the nail on the head.

VengefulRonin
12-28-2006, 02:55 AM
I havent really wanted a PSP (or DS for that matter). I've gotten bored with handhelds over the years, and nothing for either handheld has made me go "omfg, i'm buying that!" I suppose really it all adds up to personal taste and if there's enough games that make you drool to warrant buying a PSP (or DS).

Malboro_Menace
12-28-2006, 06:00 AM
DS's multiplayer capabilities just blow the PSP's away. So do its RPG's.

RiseToFall
12-28-2006, 06:06 AM

Then you should of done some research. (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/sony-psp2-to-debut-in-2007-says-psm-197717.php)

If they add another analog stick, I might actually buy it.

lufia
12-28-2006, 06:09 AM
square-enix is supporting the nintendo ds ALOT unlike the psp since ds owns the market in the handheld consoles. square-enix makes the best games so don't settle for less hehe. also the ds can also play gba games like ff4,5 and soon ff6 will be coming out.

here are some of the games square-enix has published and will be soon for the ds

* Children of Mana
* Chocobo and the Magic Picture Book
* Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
* Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
* Egg Monster Hero
* Final Fantasy III
* Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
* Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
* Front Mission the First
* It's a Wonderful World
* Mario Hoops 3-on-3
* Heroes of Mana
* Itadaki Street DS: Dragon Quest vs Super Mario
*Dragon Quest IX
*FInal Fantasy Tactics A2

i chose the ds lite because im a square-enix fan and im glad spending hours in solitude with it :D

VengefulRonin
12-28-2006, 07:18 AM
square-enix is supporting the nintendo ds ALOT unlike the psp since ds owns the market in the handheld consoles. square-enix makes the best games so don't settle for less hehe. also the ds can also play gba games like ff4,5 and soon ff6 will be coming out.

here are some of the games square-enix has published and will be soon for the ds

* Children of Mana
* Chocobo and the Magic Picture Book
* Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
* Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
* Egg Monster Hero
* Final Fantasy III
* Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
* Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
* Front Mission the First
* It's a Wonderful World
* Mario Hoops 3-on-3
* Heroes of Mana
* Itadaki Street DS: Dragon Quest vs Super Mario
*Dragon Quest IX
*FInal Fantasy Tactics A2

i chose the ds lite because im a square-enix fan and im glad spending hours in solitude with it :D

SE is publishing a mario game? o__O You sure thats right?

Maxico
12-28-2006, 11:20 AM
DS's multiplayer capabilities just blow the PSP's away.

How so?

PSP supports both Infrastructure (online play) and Ad Hoc (local wireless network) with gamesharing from a singel disc depending on the game.

What exactly does the DS do that's so amazingly different?

lufia
12-28-2006, 11:21 AM
@VengefulRonin

yup i have it and when you turn the game on it says square-enix. se seems to be experimenting out of its rpg realm.

look here at the top where it says developer
http://au.ds.gamespy.com/nintendo-ds/mario-basket-3on3/732656p1.html

Maxico
12-28-2006, 11:31 AM
you only need one game to go multi-player. say for example you have mario kart and your friend doesn't have mario kart but all he needs to do is connect to your ds wireless to play mario kart

The PSP can do that.

That's what "gamesharing" means.

EDIT: Great, now it looks like I'm quoting nobody thanks to your ninja edit.

lufia
12-28-2006, 11:33 AM
haha yeah soz, didn't read it properly. :p urgh