PDA

View Full Version : Who loves teh magic?

NINJA_Ryu
12-26-2006, 12:07 AM
I do! I find it fantabulous, since its a system that i havent encountered at all in games, except to some extent, D&D. And for just getting this game today, I was totally blown away by it, and wanted to know of others opinions

Off topic though, I had to restart about 12 times, damn poor habit of not saving :(

KH-Cloudy
12-26-2006, 06:57 AM
Magic system is pretty cool just the fact you use less.

Zeromus_X
12-26-2006, 07:08 AM
The magic system was wonderful, though most of the offensive magic itself was less than impressive. Of course White Magic is still all kinds of awesome.

vorpal blade
12-26-2006, 09:12 AM
its a system that i havent encountered at all in games, except to some extent, D&D.

You haven't played FFI, have you? It's the same thing. And while I don't really like it (I prefer MP), it is good to know just how many spells you have left. So no complaints here.

NINJA_Ryu
12-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Yep, havent played it, and that comment was from personal experience.

KH-Cloudy
12-26-2006, 06:51 PM
It's easier so you don't have to do the math :P

Hambone
12-27-2006, 01:43 AM
It's okay now that I understand it. However, I like FFX's system of magic more.

NINJA_Ryu
12-27-2006, 03:20 AM
o, what was that?

Hambone
12-28-2006, 12:00 AM
sphere grid. It was used for other abilities and raising stats as well.

feioncastor
12-28-2006, 12:25 AM
sphere grid. It was used for other abilities and raising stats as well.

I think comparing the Sphere Grid system to the Spells by Level system isn't really apples to apples. The Sphere Grid is the system by which you acquire new skills and stats, including spells.

However, the MAGIC system in FFX is just a basic MP system, unless I'm gravely mistaken. The Magic System is the system that limits the number of spell casts, and FFX's is just like most other FF games.

And the systems in FF1 and FF3 are good enough, I guess. The problem isn't so much about the way it's done, but just that in those game, it's much harder to fill up your MP without going to an Inn. In FF1, the only way to fill up MP without an Inn was to use an item called "House", which was like a Tent, except that it filled up your MP too. Tents did not. When playing FF4 or FF6, you can get Ethers and other MP restorative items much easier, thus making it okay to cast spells in random battles. FF1's MP was too precious. You'd have a couple casts of your strongest spell and you'd have to save them for the boss. Because MP Restorative items became more practical and common, it made spell casters much more valuble in most fights.

NINJA_Ryu
12-28-2006, 02:16 AM
Well in FF3 (by 20th level) my WM had a good 20-23 1st level casts, so i could go through the entire dungeon healing my party when needed, and still have plenty for boss fights.

Same with BM casting blizzartd and others

However, I have quickly come to love red mages ^^