PDA

View Full Version : What's the longest amount of time (in real time) that it has taken you to beat a game

darkchrono
12-26-2006, 02:45 AM
What is the longest amount of time (in terms of real life days, months and years) that it has taken you to beat a game (this should probably just include games in which you still kind of plan on finishing not ones that you have no intention of playing anymore).

Mine would probably be FFX-2. I got it just about a month or two after it was released and I still have yet to finish it (so I guess that would be about three years now). I am close to the end and I do enjoy playing it when I do but for some reason when I put it down I don't start playing again for like six months to a year.

--One Winged Angel--
12-26-2006, 02:49 AM
mine was ff8.... i got it in march 1999 and finished it somtime in 2001. 4 some reason when i got to the forth disc i stopped playing.

Pike
12-26-2006, 03:47 AM
Considering the fact that I only finish about 25% of the games I acquire (if that), there are several games that I have yet to beat. Heck, I'm still working on Mario 3.

(Longest hiatus on a game that I actually did go on to beat... probably Super Mario RPG. I loved the game so much that I didn't want it to end, so I refused to do the last boss fight for several months. XD Oh, and if I wanted to, right now I could go do the last mission in FFTA and that would be a new record, something like four years.)

snacks
12-26-2006, 05:39 AM
Longest span.

Well I didn't really "own" the game but in 1996 (maybe a year or 2 later) I borrowed Chrono Trigger from Blockbuster, and played a bit managed to get myself to Lavos (too early) and died.

Fast foward to 2 summers ago and I played it again with the help of Jowy and beat it. So that was like 8 or 9 years? :D

PhoenixAsh
12-26-2006, 12:18 PM
I can't remember if it was Magic Land or Fantasy Land Dizzy. The one with Prince Charming and the Piper and Excalibur etc. Used to play it loads when I was really young but could never save everyone, came back to it sometime this year and managed it :) Reckon thats probably a bit over a decade...

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-27-2006, 01:06 AM
I suppose you mean games that you intend(ed) on completing. For me it was Resident evil original on PSX. It only took me around 3 hours of gameplay but there was about a 5 year wait and a restart somewhere in between

ScummMonkey
12-27-2006, 01:09 AM
It would be probably FFX for me. I got stuck on Sin in the highroad where you battle these guys, I forget. It took about a full year for me to finish it completely.

TRANS_AM409
12-27-2006, 01:21 AM
the longest time it took me to beat a game was about a year and a half the game was Silent Line: Armored Core some of those boss cores and armors are a bitch to beat the hardest one was one that use fire and my core kept over heating

Meat Puppet
12-27-2006, 01:33 AM
15 years on Predator. Though this might be cheating, because I still can’t get past that black rectangle at (what I think is) the end.

Timber Maniac
12-27-2006, 01:44 AM
Super Mario RPG: June 1996-November 2006

I also started Xenogears in 1998 and did not finish until June of 2006. But only because I lost the game the first time around. When I restarted in 2006, I beat it in two weeks.

Dr Aum
12-27-2006, 01:48 AM
Sonic the Hedgehog, hands down. It was the first game I ever played for a home console, and I had never actually beaten it until just last year (emulated).

Jessweeee♪
12-27-2006, 02:06 AM
Well, proportionally speaking, Threads of Fate!
If you've every played it, you know it's a 5 hour game.
I bought it...got stuck, that's right STUCK on Threads of Fate, in the Underground Ruins and stopped playing. I lost it, then found it and four years after I got it, I finally beat it.

fantasyjunkie
12-28-2006, 02:00 AM
Morrowind. I played that costantly for a year because I explored every inch of that world and completed every quest possible before going for the main story line. I honestly don't think one blade of grass has been unbent or one stone unturned by me in that game.

Bunny
12-28-2006, 02:05 AM
I bought Final Fantasy X when it was first released. I beat the game in early 2005.

Reeno the Alchemist
12-28-2006, 02:43 AM
well back 3 years ago when my sister got ffx and ni didnt like rpg's except for chrono cross it took my sister a year just to get to the second seymour fight cause she sucked at it.then i built up the courage and beat it in 80 hours and i was a noob now my record time is like 30 hours but yea im no longer a noob

Galbadian Soldier
12-28-2006, 05:44 AM
It would have to be DQVIII for me, I bought it when it first came out(was it the beginning of this year?) and i didn't finish it till this September.

Other then that I'm usually able to finish most games I get.

Rainecloud
12-28-2006, 06:54 AM
Zelda: Wind Waker. I kept stopping and starting. I finally finished the blasted thing in 2005 - nearly two years after I bought it.

NINJA_Ryu
12-28-2006, 07:12 AM
Game time, its 24 hours for FF4

but in hiatuses and all, prolly Red Alert, at a whopping 8 years....

yea, i suck at determination :(

Craig
12-28-2006, 01:04 PM
I dunno, the only one I can think of is Onimusha 2.

I got it when it came out, but I have yet to complete it. So when I do? That one.

NeoCracker
12-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Final Fantasy Six. A few years.

Everytime I got close to the end, something messed up. The SNES was a bit Shotty at the time, so if a cord was jerked at all while playing my cartrige was wiped. I have no Idea how it got wiped so many times, but meh. I eventually beat it.

Dreddz
12-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Alot of the Gradius games Ive beaten recently and failed miserably at years ago, and some Ninja Gaiden games, I beat the original last year, when I bought the catridge a decade ago. I guess thats the longest amount of time its taken for me to beat a game.

Tavrobel
12-28-2006, 01:56 PM
I still haven't beaten Super Mario on the NES.

Old Manus
12-28-2006, 02:02 PM
The Secret of Monkey Island

Began: sometime in 94
Completed: Last month

It wasn't that good after all

Markus. D
12-28-2006, 02:13 PM
PN03 (final diffuculty in the 1-hit death suit).

I dont want to get top scores in each place (as in. not dodging everything to complete the level. dodging and Killing everything = yes).

<3 took me about 457 hours of playtime.

Jowy
12-28-2006, 02:14 PM
My New Year's Resolution is to finish FFX. I've had it since 2002 and have not finished it.

Ender
12-28-2006, 03:31 PM
If I don't finish a game on a play-through, but then feel like coming back to it a long time later, I usually end up restarting it. And there are many games I've played and "died" (often numerous times) or just gave up that I never won.

As for games that I've started, and stopped in the middle, but still had saves that I went back to to advance the story to the very end:

StarCraft took me about 5 years from start to finish--not because I don't love the game, but because there's only so much RTS I can stand in a day or a week.

LoZ: Windwaker took me 2 years...I obsess over getting every item in those games and I got tired of all the boring sailing to find them all.

Command & Conquer Generals around 3 years. There's a level in the Chinese Campaign that I just didn't have the right mind to develop a strategy to beat...it's the one where your nuke cannons are ambushed by mobile bio-scuds in the opening cutscene. I couldn't for the life of me figure out a way to stop the GLA from eventually over-running my base before I could vaporize their's. After someone told me the solution, I finished that Campaign and the American Campaign rather easily, but then got stuck on a level of the GLA Campaign that took me about eight months of playing off and on to figure out.

Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal around 5 years. Again, an obsession regarding collecting, in this case high-quality versions of every Pokemon in the game ('cept for Mew). And because of the brilliance of Nintendo, they got me to play the same two games three times each, which in part accounts for the time it took me.

Pike
12-28-2006, 03:41 PM
StarCraft took me about 5 years from start to finish--not because I don't love the game, but because there's only so much RTS I can stand in a day or a week.

I've dumped so many hours into this game that it's not funny (we're talking eight hours a day for a few months when I first got it), but I've yet to play through the campaigns. Maybe I should do that sometime. XD

Nominus Experse
12-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Morrowind. I played that costantly for a year because I explored every inch of that world and completed every quest possible before going for the main story line. I honestly don't think one blade of grass has been unbent or one stone unturned by me in that game.
Morrowind was one that I spent far too much time on myself. I believe I spent a year and a half, just simply playing the damned game, logging upwards of 2000 hours by the time I finally finished it.

There's just so much stuff to do...

Jessweeee♪
12-28-2006, 08:31 PM
My New Year's Resolution is to finish FFX. I've had it since 2002 and have not finished it.

=O
It's gonna be a sad New Year's, Jowy :cry:

Tavrobel
12-28-2006, 08:42 PM

I've dumped so many hours into this game that it's not funny (we're talking eight hours a day for a few months when I first got it), but I've yet to play through the campaigns. Maybe I should do that sometime. XD

It's easier just to type in "there is no cow level" and watch all the character cutscenes. The computer isn't really all that hard.

Now that I think about it, I still haven't beaten Star Ocean 3, either.

Shoeberto
12-28-2006, 08:42 PM
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

I think my first time playing it might have been 1996 or 1997. I didn't beat it until about 2004.

We have quite a history together, me and that game. Once I was able to finish it entirely, I felt as if my life's work had been complete.

Verdi666
12-29-2006, 10:19 PM
When I got tales of Sympphonia, I completed it, then drove myself to completely completeing it, my memory card corrupted so I started again and after getting every title and so forth I had played it for about 300 hours. I used one guide at the end to see if I had everything. Overall about A year.

Skyblade
12-30-2006, 02:32 AM
It doesn't take me that long to beat most games, just playing them. It is only my obsessiveness to collect everything and master all aspects of the game that causes me to take years to complete games. And I'm not sure which one has taken me the longest. Some of them have taken me quite a while, but I don't keep track. I just play, and keep playing...

Markus. D
12-30-2006, 03:32 AM
PN03 (final diffuculty in the 1-hit death suit).

I dont want to get top scores in each place (as in. not dodging everything to complete the level. dodging and Killing everything = yes).

<3 took me about 457 hours of playtime.

over a period of 3 or so months >_>

<_<

yes. no sooner

>_>

<_<

*2 months*

Slothy
12-30-2006, 02:35 PM
I'd have to say FFV. I got it with FF Anthology when it came out (which Gamefaqs is telling me was September 1999). Fast forward to just over seven years later now and I've still never beaten it. Last time I took a stab at playing all the way through I was mastering some jobs right before the final fight with X-Death. I still have that save file so I think I should probably go back and finish it sometime.

Crop
12-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Timesplitters 2, I got it the day it came out and I have one level to beat still, ive maxed out every other single thing but space station on hard has stood in my was for too long!

Hambone
12-31-2006, 05:27 PM
FFVII. I didn't like it because of the beginning, but I pushed myself to get through past the Wall Market and it became fun. Let's see, I bought it in...2004 along with my very own PS2, with my own money...and finished in mid 2006, I believe. So, a little longer than 2 years.

Orgasmic
01-07-2007, 01:25 AM
I got the game Links Awakening like 3 years ago.. and. I actually still hasn't gone through the game yet.