PDA

View Full Version : the south

VengefulRonin
12-26-2006, 11:29 AM
I live in TN, a little ways from Nashville. I dont like TN much...or the rest of the south. So for the questions, how many of you live in the south, where at, and do you like it or not?

fantasyjunkie
12-26-2006, 06:36 PM
I grew up in Lousiana and wasted no time in moving out in 1985 when I turned 18.
It was just so backwards and I never liked the racism there. For example, my parents did not want me spending time with black people because we were white. Yes, I know racism is everywhere but back in the 70's and early 80's when I was a kid it was still commonplace in rural Lousiana.
Not only that, employment jsut plain sucked. Very hard to find a decent job there.
The only thing I liked about growing up there was living in the country where I could literally walk out my back door and start hunting rabbit and squirrels. BTW, rabbit tastes good but I never liked squirrel, the meat was too tough. I also miss the deer hunting, that was cool too.

Bahamut SIN
12-28-2006, 12:34 AM
Chillin' in Jacksonville Florida.

Araciel
12-28-2006, 12:41 AM
i live in south ontario...does that count?

yumi
12-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Wiltshire = farmer = due to accent must mentally retarded

Yes I'm estatic at living in the south |(o'england)

Jessweeee♪
12-28-2006, 01:49 AM
Texas. The only state that makes you take a course about it's history for the full school-year.

Oh man, that year sucked.

XxSephirothxX
12-28-2006, 01:57 AM
I live in Georgia. No, I do not like it very much.

Bunny
12-28-2006, 02:01 AM
Geographically the state lies in the North. But for some reason the state is considered to be apart of the South. I hate it with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

VengefulRonin
12-28-2006, 02:10 AM
Texas. The only state that makes you take a course about it's history for the full school-year.

Thats horrible O_O

Geographically the state lies in the North. But for some reason the state is considered to be apart of the South. I hate it with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

You mean TN? North my ass, we still have rednecks running around here with the rebel flag tattooed on their flabby arms talking bad about "yankees"

Xander
12-28-2006, 02:11 AM
I live in the Southwest of the UK and I quite like it. I don't really know the differences between here and the north to be honest as I haven't really been there. But I like where I live. I know this probably doesn't count if you're talking about the US, but eh.

fantasyjunkie
12-28-2006, 02:25 AM

That's exactly how I felt about Lousiana and I wasted no time leaving when I left high school.

Dynast-Kid
12-28-2006, 02:48 AM
I live in Brentwood, TN, just out of Nashville. I like it here, it's nice IMO. My grandpa lives in Eagleville right outside of Murfreesboro and I go to his house all the time. It's very calming. The only complaint I have is that it's rather boring here...And our state's history is just as bland. Other than that, I like it.

Williamson County fo' life, bizatch!

Kamiko
12-28-2006, 02:59 AM
DAMN THE SOUTH AND ALL OF IT'S INHABITANTS!!!
WE WON THE DAMN WAR!! WHY IS ANYONE STILL HERE?!?!
And why did my family wanna move here...?
I mean, George Bush is practically from the South. That speaks volumes.

Dynast-Kid
12-28-2006, 03:01 AM
DAMN THE SOUTH AND ALL OF IT'S INHABITANTS!!!
WE WON THE DAMN WAR!! WHY IS ANYONE STILL HERE?!?!
And why did my family wanna move here...?
I mean, George Bush is practically from the South. That speaks volumes.

We're not all like Dubya. Well, 3.1337% of us aren't like him. Me included. I am a Democrat.

Kamiko
12-28-2006, 03:03 AM
I'm pretty much just angry cos it doesn't snow down here.

Dynast-Kid
12-28-2006, 03:05 AM
I'm pretty much just angry cos it doesn't snow down here.

Yeah, I hate that part too. It never snows down here.:mad:

And whenever the meteorologists say that it is gonna snow, it doesn't. I believe it's a government conspiracy...

Kamiko
12-28-2006, 03:09 AM
Plus the South makes you feel like no where else really exists.
And not in a good way.
You feel like, if you step out of the South, there's a void.
And after a while, you start to wonder if anywhere else really exists...
It's pretty depressing.

Dynast-Kid
12-28-2006, 03:14 AM
And not in a good way.
It's pretty depressing.

That's deep.

Kamiko
12-28-2006, 03:16 AM
Deep like the hole of despair which is the south.
:(
My Heart is in Ohio/Russia/Japan.

Dynast-Kid
12-28-2006, 03:19 AM
Deep like the hole of despair which is the south.
:(
My Heart is in Ohio/Russia/Japan.

I ♥ Ohio!

That was one of my first journeys out of the South! And it's the farthest i've ever been from Tennessee...

Bunny
12-28-2006, 03:21 AM

You mean TN? North my ass, we still have rednecks running around here with the rebel flag tattooed on their flabby arms talking bad about "yankees"

The state I live in is geographically in the north but still considered to be apart of the South.

Hambone
12-28-2006, 03:22 AM
I used to live in Austin, Texas. but now, I live in Round Rock, Texas.

Roto13
12-28-2006, 03:24 AM
We talk real funny down here
We drink too much and we laugh too loud
We're too dumb to make it in no Northern town
Keepin' the n*****s down

We got no-necked oilmen from Texas
And good ol' boys from Tennessee
And college men from LSU
Went in dumb - come out dumb too
Hustlin' 'round Atlanta in their alligator shoes
Gettin' drunk every weekend at the barbecues
Keepin' the n*****s down

We're rednecks, we're rednecks
We don't know our ass from a hole in the ground
We're keeping the n*****s down

Now your northern n*****'s a Negro
You see he's got his dignity
Down here we're too ignorant to realize
That the North has set the nigger free

EDIT: The chorus to that song is the catchiest thing ever, but it feels weird to sing it out loud. :P

Kamiko

I was supposed to move there!
Instead, I moved to Flat Rock, Georgia.
Yayyy...

XxSephirothxX
And not in a good way.
It's pretty depressing.
I've lived here my whole live, and I've never thought that. :p I'm still looking forward to graduating college and moving away.

Kamiko
12-28-2006, 03:25 AM
Maybe you have to live other places first.

Hambone
12-28-2006, 03:27 AM

I was supposed to move there!
Instead, I moved to Flat Rock, Georgia.
Yayyy...
Haha. :D j/k

Dynast-Kid
12-28-2006, 03:29 AM
Keepin' the n*****s down

And college men from LSU
Keepin' the n*****s down

EDIT: The chorus to that song is the catchiest thing ever, but it feels weird to sing it out loud. :P

I find that song mildly offensive. And who is Randy Newman?

*Wikifies Randy Newman*

Roto13
12-28-2006, 03:31 AM
Keepin' the n*****s down

And college men from LSU
Keepin' the n*****s down

I find that song offensive. And who is Randy Newman?

*Wikifies Randy Newman*

One of the most famous songwriters in the world.

Araciel
12-28-2006, 03:31 AM
fat man with his kids and dog...drove in through the morning fog...hey there rover, come on over..

Dynast-Kid
12-28-2006, 03:33 AM
Nuh-uh!

According to Wikigod, he scored Monsters Inc. I love that movie!:bigsmile:

Jessweeee♪
12-28-2006, 03:35 AM
I was born in Illinois, but now I live in South Texas. I miss my snow and soft sticker-less grass.

Roto13
12-28-2006, 03:40 AM
fat man with his kids and dog...drove in through the morning fog...hey there rover, come on over..

:D

Marshall Banana
12-28-2006, 03:41 AM
You Tennessee people need to come to the Chicken Festival, so we all can celebrate our hillbilly culture together. We'll even ride the Hillbilly Egg-spress. =O

Dynast-Kid
12-28-2006, 03:44 AM
You Tennessee people need to come to the Chicken Festival, so we all can celebrate our hillbilly culture together. We'll even ride the Hillbilly Egg-spress. =O

Is there really a Chicken Festival?

'Cause i'm black and have a natural affinity to chicken.:bigsmile:

VengefulRonin
12-28-2006, 03:44 AM

Chicken...Festival?

*slowly backs away*

Thats just too much hillbilliness to handle x__x

Kamiko
12-28-2006, 03:50 AM
Somewhere this is some kind of weird Big Game Stew Festival. I stay inside that week.

Dynast-Kid
12-28-2006, 03:51 AM
Somewhere this is some kind of weird Big Game Stew Festival. I stay inside that week.

Eww.

Marshall Banana
12-28-2006, 03:52 AM

Yes, it's meant to celebrate the first KFC.

Dynast-Kid
12-28-2006, 03:54 AM

Yes, it's meant to celebrate the first KFC.

Eww, I hate KFC. Their chicken is never cooked all the way through (or at least when I go there).

But the Colonel did invent the chicken...Maybe I should check it out.

Kamiko
12-28-2006, 04:11 AM
Black people really do like Chicken. I'm a vegetarian... in the South...

Dynast-Kid
12-28-2006, 04:12 AM

Vegatarians...In the south?

Those are just myths...

Black people DO like chicken! Except the vegatarians, they don't count...

chionos
12-28-2006, 05:35 AM
I'm in kentucky, which I consider the south. And I used to live in Louisina, near NO, but it was too damn humid, and Hurricane Andrew sucked balls. Except for the whole, driving through the living room in a boat thing, that was kinda neat.
Southern Vegetarian is an obvious oxymoron.

Currently I'm about an hour away from Dukes of Hazard country and I feel like I'm smack dab in the middle of Deliverence sometimes.

Hambone
12-28-2006, 05:57 AM

The girls that I know that are vegetarians are all attention whores that usually don't even eat at lunch. :(

VengefulRonin
12-28-2006, 07:15 AM
I'm in kentucky, which I consider the south. And I used to live in Louisina, near NO, but it was too damn humid, and Hurricane Andrew sucked balls. Except for the whole, driving through the living room in a boat thing, that was kinda neat.
Southern Vegetarian is an obvious oxymoron.

Currently I'm about an hour away from Dukes of Hazard country and I feel like I'm smack dab in the middle of Deliverence sometimes.

Seriously, there's no such thing as a "southern vegetarian." Down here they all like their chicken fried and soaked in grease and everything has to have two cups up butter in it. Prime example: the southern restaraunt chain "Cracker Barrel." Only thing thats remotely edible there is the burgers, and not only are the patties themselves uber greasy, but so are the buns. Even the tables are shiny and sticky from the grease, its disgusting.

Kirobaito
12-28-2006, 07:21 AM
I have spent my entire life in Texas and could never imagine living anywhere else. Texas isn't really the Deep South or anything, because we have Midwest values, for the most part, and can hardly be considered backwards in the slightest, with our numerous large cities (6 in the top 20 of the US).

What we share with the South, though, is an obsession with football.

I feel that people get the wrong idea about the South most of the time, though. They tend to base their opinions on conjectures or stereotypes more than actual experience.

VengefulRonin
12-28-2006, 09:26 AM
I've never really thought of Texas as a southern state, more like midwestern or something. I like texas, actually, even though i've only been there once.

And all those southern stereotypes you see on TV....you can find pretty much all of them in TN, especially if you head towards the Smokey Mountains and visit Pidgeon Forge (nothing but a tourist attraction hellhole) and Gatlinburg (mountainy resort tourist attraction).

escobert
12-28-2006, 09:48 AM
New England > all ;)

that'd be sweet.

Roto13
12-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Canada ftw.

LoveArya
12-28-2006, 05:17 PM
I was born in Montana, but moved down here to Georgia when I was 5.
The air is stuffier down here and it can get hard to breath somethimes, and in Montana its so dry that you have to drink water all the time so you dont get a sore throat.
I like it that you can let loose in both places, and just relax. The people Ive met up there arent racist(AS MUCH), but alot of people are down here.
I guess I love them both.
The only thing that ticks me is...
We still havent gotten any snow!

Jowy
12-28-2006, 05:21 PM
I'd kill for a Winter without snow, myself.

I live in Northwestern Pennsylvania. I'd like to live in the South, honestly. It'd be a nice climate change.

VengefulRonin
12-28-2006, 07:29 PM

I live in Northwestern Pennsylvania. I'd like to live in the South, honestly. It'd be a nice climate change.

Ha, come to TN then, our weather is always so crazy. This year it completey skipped fall, september was so friggin warm and in october it plummeted to 30s and 40s. Now since november most of the weather has been in the upper 50s and 60s. Its nice being able to walk outside and not have to put on a few layers of clothes.

Dynast-Kid
12-28-2006, 07:43 PM

Ha, come to TN then, our weather is always so crazy. This year it completey skipped fall, september was so friggin warm and in october it plummeted to 30s and 40s. Now since november most of the weather has been in the upper 50s and 60s. Its nice being able to walk outside and not have to put on a few layers of clothes.

Yeah it's weird.

A few weeks ago I was wearing shorts to school. Tennessee is such a weird state.

Necronopticous
12-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Yes, it's meant to celebrate the first KFC.Are the workers at this festival slaves for historical accuracy?

Old Manus
12-28-2006, 08:05 PM
I thought only queers and steers come from Texas, Private Cowboy.

Kirobaito
12-28-2006, 10:15 PM
I thought only queers and steers come from Texas, Private Cowboy.
It wasn't funny the first time and will never be funny.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not the only state that does this, and besides - Texas history is phenomenal. If it is the only state, there is a reason, and that's that the history of Texas is, by far, the most deep and interesting history of any state in the Union. If one lives in Texas, it is VERY important that one understands how our state got to be this way. One needs to know about the Texas Revolution and our time as nationhood, if nothing else. I can't imagine what else would be taught in 7th grade.

Jowy
12-28-2006, 10:19 PM
We had to take Pennsylvania State History in 9th grade.