PDA

View Full Version : Diablo 3

Dragon Mage
12-26-2006, 09:26 PM
I've only heard rumors of a Diablo 3 being made, but can anyone confirm?

Araciel
12-26-2006, 09:34 PM
i sure hope someone can!! :)

Kris_A
12-26-2006, 09:36 PM
I doubt anyone can really confirm this for quite a while but while we wait, Hellgate London (http://www.hellgatelondon.com/) is coming out soon :D That's made by some ex-Blizzard members, apparently.

I Am Stoner
12-26-2006, 10:06 PM
I heard the Diablo 3 project was scrapped in 2002. I don't know why, thats all I heard.:) But anyway, if you need something too keep you going should try out Titan Quest. It's good, I really like it.:)

Araciel
12-26-2006, 10:07 PM
yeah TQ is a good diablo clone...with a bit extra

CimminyCricket
12-26-2006, 10:25 PM
I haven't heard anything legit about it for a while. I think Blizzard might be keeping it on the down low.

Markus. D
12-27-2006, 07:19 AM
Why bother if they are going to use a system far to similar with a graphic upgrade.

I wouldnt mind n_n but I hope they will make it so creation of characters look-wise wont be so... stubby.

Araciel
12-27-2006, 07:24 AM
yeah and i would like to see one where you have more control at character creation...maybe a bit of cosmetic customization

Jebus
12-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Who cares about Diablo 3? I want Starcraft 2. >:o

Tavrobel
12-27-2006, 01:34 PM
D3 has either long been scrapped, or been in secret production for the last eight years. The last I heard, Vivendi forced Blizzard to scrap Blizzard North (the developing team of DII), and the team was assigned either to help develop new Blizzard games, or they simply left (Hellgate London). I had also heard that Blizzard had re-hired a bunch of competent MMORPG makers, and are working on some secret game, but whatever that is, your guess is as good as mine.

Starcraft 2 will never come out.

Bunny
12-27-2006, 02:27 PM
http://www.diablo3.com/

/shrug

Dragon Mage
12-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Whoa. Well, I sure hope they make D3. The storyline just left you hanging. Have to find out what happens.
If they've got Knaak working on this, then I know the story will be great. He's a good author, especially in games. (he's written 3 of the 4 Diablo books,[you don't want to read the one by the other author, trust me] some books and stories for Dragonlance and also a good amount for Warcraft.)
And they'll have to make a D3, there's way too many people that are already addicted to D2 to let the series just die out.

Tavrobel
12-27-2006, 07:42 PM
The storyline doesn't really leave you hanging at all in LoD, nor does plot really have a very significant impact on Blizzard games in comparison to FFs. If anything, it's very simply and nicely put together, folds up all the loose ends, and almost practically ensures that the three Prime Evils are stuck in the Netherworld.

Tyrael already made sure that Sanctuary would survive, even without the Worldstone. Bartuc, Tal Rasha, Duriel, Andariel, the Council of Kurast, and Izual were killed (most certainly the most significant nemeses), along with the heroes from the previous games. The only person who could even come back is Baal, and alone, he kinda sucks. Of course, there are still myriads of lesser Evils, but none of them can bring back Diablo.

Ubers and Lilith don't count.

The Soulstones were smashed apart. I don't include the books, because they are not canon, despite however many people want them to be.

*puts two games, one in each hand*

Warcraft ...

... Diablo.

Remedial math skills required.

*begins an evil warpath of Diablo 2 ... ... something, something, something, Dark slightly Grey Side*

Dragon Mage
12-27-2006, 07:51 PM
nd almost practically ensures that the three Prime Evils are stuck in the Netherworld.

Oh, no it doesn't. Now that the Worldstone is destroyed, there's nothing to seperate the worlds anymore. Before, the angels and demons could only come in/on to Sanctuary as mere ghosts of what they really are. Remember The Sin War? It was raging all around us humans, but we never saw it. The worldstone made it seperate from Sanctuary. Now that it's gone, angels and demons alike can come on to Sanctuary in their full form, not just shadows of what they are, which is the case in the game. That means that if the Prime Evils find a way onto the Material Plane, they will be far more powerful than ever before. Sanctuary can survive without the Worldstone, but it's far more vulnerable now. It may take many heroes to save the world if the Evils get loose again.

And I only mentioned the books because Knaak wrote most of them. They're rather good, and if he's working on the storyline for a possible D3, then it will be good. Knaak has experience.

Tavrobel
12-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Novels don't count.

And Mephisto and Diablo are still permanently banned from EoFF Sanctuary. Baal can come back, but this isn't Baal III: Electric Boogaloo.

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Regarding the books being canon...

Q - Medievaldragon: How much of the book is creation of yours, and how involved is Chris Metzen behind the canon storyline of Diablo: The Sin War Trilogy? Do you think the ramifications of this book impact in the storyline of Diablo 3 the game?
A - Knaak: This is a pure collaboration between myself and Chris/Blizzard. All that is written is passed by him and the others there. This will be canon and has adjusted earlier info. The ramifications here will be used for any future project...and I ain't writing for a dead game.

I'd say that's pretty good evidence that the books are indeed canon.

Tavrobel
12-27-2006, 07:54 PM
I hate you BtV.

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-27-2006, 07:55 PM
<3 you too Tav.

That interview strongly implies that there will be a Diablo 3 someday. However, this is Blizzard. Someday usually means many, many years from now.

Tavrobel
12-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Or cancelled after being thrown around by multiple platform developers, considered trash, given to another developer to start from scratch, scrapped, and left to hang while the gaming community knew it would fail from the start?

Yeah. Someday.

Chances are I'll have to wind up playing for the game to play.

Dragon Mage
12-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Hey, I never said the books had anything to do with the game! I was just trying to throw out there that Knaak has experience, has worked for Blizzard a lot, and that whatever he comes up with for a possible D3 will be good! That's all I'm saying.

And yes the Evils will be able to come back.

Tavrobel
12-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Hey, I never said the books had anything to do with the game! I was just trying to throw out there that Knaak has experience, has worked for Blizzard a lot, and that whatever he comes up with for a possible D3 will be good! That's all I'm saying.

I would not doubt Blizzard knows what they are doing.

And yes the Evils will be able to come back.

Not from DII evidence, they won't.

I'm sure that Blizzard will weave together a bunch of crap and make us like it.

Dragon Mage
12-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Not from DII evidence, they won't.

Yeah, all that happened was the Soulstones were destroyed. That doesn't necessarily mean the P.E. can't get back to Sanctuary. The Soulstones just provided an easy anchor to travel through. Worldstone is gone=P.E. can come on to Sanctuary in their full power. (kinda like the Black Diablo) All that's needed now is another anchor, which will most likely exist somewhere. The Soulstones were made by humans, no? Then something else could be corrupted for the P.E. to travel through. They can come back; just how they will do it has been made a bit more difficult.

And remember, they had gotten one to Sanctuary before the Soulstones were made. That option that allowed them to do so may still exist.