PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Wi-Fi Woes

opiumcloud
12-27-2006, 02:09 AM
Does anybody here have the same problem I'm having with the PS3 wi-fi? I'm using a linksys BEFW11S4 2.4 GHz 802.11b wireless router, which is connected to my cable modem in the same room as my PC, which is on the other side of the house from my TV and gaming systems. My Wii and XBox 360 with wireless networking adapter seem to work just fine, but my PS3 with built-in wi-fi refuses to stay connected for more than a minute, despite being located literally next to the still-working Xbox and Wii. The PS3 scans and finds my wireless network, and the connection test indicates success at obtaining an IP address and an internet connection, but then every minute or so, I get the dreaded "Disconnected from access point" error, after which my PS3 automatically reconnects, only to get disconnected again. It's impossible to do anything online with the PS3, such as getting through the signup page for the Playstation Network, with these constant disconnects, and my router itself seems to be working fine. Has anybody encountered this problem, or figured their way around it? I've tried physically moving my PS3 to different places in the room, to minimize electromagnetic interference and the like, but I cannot rearrange my entire house to put my PS3 and cable modem literally in the same room, nor can I run an ethernet cable all the way thorough my house to hardwire the PS3.

Suggestions?

Dr Aum
12-27-2006, 02:17 AM
I don't have a PS3, but when my Wii's online bits were acting up, I found that changing the channel that my router was using completely fixed the problem. For some reason, my Wii hates channel 6 but loves channel 1. Maybe the PS3 works the same way?

I have a similar router model, so if you don't know how to change the channel, give this a try: type your router's IP address into the URL bar of your browser, go to Wireless -> Basic Wireless Settings and play around with different Wireless Channels.

I hope this helps. :)