PDA

View Full Version : are these games worth it?

.:kerrod:.
12-27-2006, 05:29 AM
shadow of the colossus or ico? becuase ive heard they're really good, but ICO is hard, i've heard, and shadow of the colossus, well, theres only 7 enemies! so i was wondering if (mainly shadow) they are worth it?

Ryth
12-27-2006, 06:21 AM
16 enemies (or seventeen depending).

Yes, get them both. They are both brilliant. Beautiful games, worth every penny.

Khaotic
12-27-2006, 06:49 AM
shadow of the colossus or ico? becuase ive heard they're really good, but ICO is hard, i've heard, and shadow of the colossus, well, theres only 7 enemies! so i was wondering if (mainly shadow) they are worth it?

SotC is one of the best PS2 games, if you don't use a guide.

Wolf Kanno
12-27-2006, 11:01 AM
For the love of all that is holy!!!:eek:

These games are beautiful. Ico has it's frustrating moments but it just takes using your brain a little. Shadow of the Colossus has quite possibly the greatest boss fights ever...

Honestly, they both seem pretty short. But they are the types of games that leave such an impact that you will find yourself replaying them. Not only for the challenge but for those wonderful moments where you are filled with a sense of accomplishment.

Fatal Impurity
12-27-2006, 11:18 AM
They suck....Afterall how much fun could it be to run around a blan uninteresting game world trying to find big ass monsters (which are the only good things about the game) with only a bow and arrow and not so much as a whisper of a hint of where these monters are how to kill them or any other hints items or anything! it's basically just a massive tech/game engine demo!!!!

Craig
12-27-2006, 11:58 AM
They suck....Afterall how much fun could it be to run around a blan uninteresting game world trying to find big ass monsters (which are the only good things about the game) with only a bow and arrow and not so much as a whisper of a hint of where these monters are how to kill them or any other hints items or anything! it's basically just a massive tech/game engine demo!!!!

I'm assuming that means you haven't played them?

Well anyway, they're both good games. I'm not particularly fond of Ico myself, but I'll acknowledge it as a good game.

Shadow of the Colossus is just amazing though.

Bunny
12-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Haven't played them myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about the both of them. If you can pick them up, why not? You certainly cannot do yourself any harm by trying something new out.

Slothy
12-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Get both. These are two of the most creative, original, and above all, fun games I have ever played. In facey're the reason that Nintendo (and most companies to be honest) has to start working harder to earn my love now. These two put Sony over the top as the best first party developer/publisher for me. If that isn't high praise, then I don't know what is.

Seriously, the boss fights in SotC are among the best in gaming. Even though the game can be completed in about 6-10 hours the first time through, odds are you'll spend enough time going through on hard again, and doing the time attack modes to end up spending a few dozen hours with the game, and even then I doubt you'll be sick of it.

Ico for me also stands as the best puzzle/adventure game I've ever played. The best part about it for me was that the puzzles make logical sense. None of this "insert a chess piece here to open a door two rooms away" crap you see in most games. I was also more than a little impressed with how much story and emotion they can convey without the main characters ever having to talk to one another. I wish more games were as creative as these two, but few developers/publishers would have ever taken a chance on one, much less let the team go on to make another game.

Ryth
12-27-2006, 03:52 PM

Oop, no, sorry. You do get hints on their weak spots and you can find where they are using your sword (you don't only have a bow and arrow, silly!).

I'm assuming blan = bland here as well.

The game is anything but bland, there are more beautiful sights to see in this game than one can count. The colossus battles are also so fun and exhilirating even if you do get a little bored sight-seeing, you'll have massive amounts of fun taking down colossi, just takes the using of some gray matter, the game can be very exciting (the soundtrack definitely helps). It's highly satisfying.

Go play the games first.

Moon Rabbits
12-27-2006, 05:50 PM
I haven't played SotC but I've heard nothing but good things, and my older brother became obsessed with it after playing it his first time.

ICO, on the other hand, I have played. It is amazing. I picked it up for only fifteen dollars (score!), and it was worth every penny and then some. The puzzles never get dull, although a couple can challenge you into frustration. The battles with the shadows arent' very deep, you only press one button to attack, but they're still fun as hell to me.

Also, ICO has one of the best final boss battles in the history of anything. Oh, and the final cutscene is amazing too. Nevermind, the entire game is amazing.

GET ICO.

NINJA_Ryu
12-27-2006, 06:01 PM
They all suck, they will always suck, nothing good willl ever come from these games. They are crap, horrible, broken pieces of dung, hurled against a wall then packaged together.

*hides from ICO + SOTC mob*

just kidding!

I have heard nothing but praise for these both, and SOTC nearly made me wet myself in joy

Madame Adequate
12-27-2006, 06:29 PM
Get them both. They're examples of our medium at its very best.

Rainecloud
12-27-2006, 08:09 PM
I've not played Shadow of the Colossus, but I can highly recommend Ico.

It's a beautiful, challenging game that you'll want to play numerous times.

Roto13
12-27-2006, 08:15 PM
I've only played a demo of Ico and was unimpressed, but it was just a demo so don't listen to me. If I based my opinioin of FF XII on the demo it'd be completely different.

Spammerman
12-27-2006, 09:29 PM
They suck....Afterall how much fun could it be ... with only a bow and arrow

Youve obviously never shot your name with a bow and arrow into the the fur of a 400 foot monster.

RiseToFall
12-27-2006, 09:54 PM
There's really nothing else I can add to what already has been said, just go and get them.

VengefulRonin
12-28-2006, 02:50 AM
I havent heard a single bad thing about these games (except for what omegaweapon said, but he doesnt count), but for some reason i just cant bring myself to buy Shadow of the Colossus. I just cant make myself interested enough. If i ever did buy i'd probably orgasm while playing it, but still...maybe someone needs to hold a gun to my crotch so i'll go out and buy it?

Auragaea
12-29-2006, 02:51 PM
I haven't played ICO, but I have played SotC, and it's just as everyone else here as said. However, I find that on subsequent playthroughs the game gets boring even on hard and time attack modes. Afterall, you already know where their weakpoints are and how to get to them (save for a few in hard mode). Basically, the first time I played the game, I was in awe, but on my second playthrough I was quite bored.

VengefulRonin
12-29-2006, 11:26 PM
I just picked up Shadow of the Colossus today, and it is just me or are the controls TERRIBLE? It seems to me that they chucked this out unfinished. The camera is not only difficult to control, but impossible to control once i get next to a colossus and sometimes spins around wildly, leading to my being trampled. The horse is the worst of all. Getting on is not precise, and the control of the horse is awful. Once i get on the respective Colossus then its mostly okay...but right now i cant even get onto one because the controls and camera make it so difficult.

So far...i am not impressed, and i dont see why everyone is in awe of this game. I have a feeling i'll be putting Bully back into my PS2 very soon...

tidus_rox
12-30-2006, 01:49 AM
This might sound dumb but what is ICO?

Rocket Edge
12-30-2006, 01:56 AM
As far as i can remember it's a game that i played years back on the PS1. It's become more of a cult game at this stage. Nobody ever bought it, or even heard of it from where i'm from, although i read somewhere on a little article that it was an incredable game, so i went out & rented it. It was extremely differant & enjoyable. It also happens to be a game that will stick with you. I never bought it stupidly enough after, maybe i'll try and get it once for all.

Slothy
12-30-2006, 02:24 PM
I just picked up Shadow of the Colossus today, and it is just me or are the controls TERRIBLE? It seems to me that they chucked this out unfinished. The camera is not only difficult to control, but impossible to control once i get next to a colossus and sometimes spins around wildly, leading to my being trampled. The horse is the worst of all. Getting on is not precise, and the control of the horse is awful. Once i get on the respective Colossus then its mostly okay...but right now i cant even get onto one because the controls and camera make it so difficult.

So far...i am not impressed, and i dont see why everyone is in awe of this game. I have a feeling i'll be putting Bully back into my PS2 very soon...

Although the controls aren't exactly perfect, I can only think of one instance where character or camera control actually got in the way of me beating a colossus (and after beating it once I never had any trouble when beating it again). As for the horse controls, I'll agree that geting on can be tricky (though you get used to it), but otherwise I don't see the problem. It's a horse not a Ferrari, and it controls just fine if you ask me.

And Ico is actually a game on the PS2 Traffic. And cult game is right. I think it only sold about 50,000 copies originally or something like that. Pretty unimpressive given the number of PS2's out there.

VengefulRonin
12-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Hmm...maybe my copy just hates me then. I'm not exactly enjoying the game very much right now, but since i have it i might as well plug away at it. Probably once i get used the controls i'll have more fun.

Ico only sold 50,000 copies? O_O Jesus...thats...really bad sales. If i ever see it i'll buy it, but i never see it around...

Necronopticous
12-30-2006, 06:59 PM
They are a couple of the greatest games ever created.

Nominus Experse
12-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Purchase these two games immediately - you shall not be dissappointed.

VengefulRonin
12-31-2006, 01:00 AM
Okay....i'm on my third one. I know exactly what to do to beat it. My problem: the damn camera! I swear to god i have never seen a worse camera. When i'm fighting a colossus it pans in directions i dont need it to, and when i hit L1 to make it focus on the colossus, it focuses in too high and i cant even see where i'm running or where the lower half of the colossus is. Because of this horrendous camera, i cant even tell where exactly the thing is swinging his sword, so i'm getting knocked into the ground most every time and by the time i get up (which takes too long) he's already raised his sword and i have to try again.

I really do NOT see how this game is so facking amazing like everyone's been saying. I dont see a big monster and go "oooooooh" and when i climb it i'm not all "holy effin crap this thing is big" and such. It just annoys me. In my opinion, this game is highly unrefined and i still think it was rushed into the market unfinished.

Maxico
12-31-2006, 12:39 PM
Maybe if the act of taking down an enourmous monster doesn't really appeal to you then this simply isn't the game for you.

In the same way that if the idea of gunning down leigions of enemies doesn't do anyting for you, then a shooter probable isn't the most suited game for you.

Personally I think that Shadow of the Colossus is one of the greatest games ever made, unfortunatly I passed on the chance to buy Ico the first time around and have had no luck finding it since, but that is probably recommendable too.

And don't worry about there being too little adversaries, if anything I think there are too many. The Colossi around the mid section of the game tended to be a little forgettable.

VengefulRonin
01-01-2007, 03:26 AM
*sigh*

Shadow of the Colossus is evil. Or cunning. Or something. Even though this game pisses me off to no end, i still keep going back to it xD

Cruise Control
01-01-2007, 03:29 AM
Both of them are awesome. ICO, a little over-rated. But amazing nonetheless.

Fatal Impurity
01-02-2007, 09:44 AM

I'm assuming that means you haven't played them?

Well anyway, they're both good games. I'm not particularly fond of Ico myself, but I'll acknowledge it as a good game.

Shadow of the Colossus is just amazing though.

Actually ive played shadow and ive got to say that it was the most boring 2 hours of gaming that i have ever taken part in.....as for Ico the idea seems intruiging but i just dont see the excitement factor....

Necronopticous
01-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Actually ive played shadow and ive got to say that it was the most boring 2 hours of gaming that i have ever taken part in.....as for Ico the idea seems intruiging but i just dont see the excitement factor....If scaling and slaying hulking behemoths thousands of times your size with a sword and bow on a polished 3D engine is not exciting to you, then you most certainly will not find any excitement in Ico either. Maybe you should give Shadow of the Colossus another shot, perhaps while drinking a Mountain Dew, or with a DVD copy of xXx playing in the background?