PDA

View Full Version : Which pain is worst? Physical/Emotional?

Rosenti
12-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Yes yes, another inspired thread! Anyways, ive always thought.. " which pain is worse? Physical or Emotional pain?" So ive been puttin myself in diffrent situations, through out my life. With what ive expeirenced, and i think it emotional.

What do you think, and if you could please so kindly tell me why in a situation youve been in, in your life. So i really can understand?

Thank you, come again.

Polaris
12-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Well emotion actually, physical pain can be really hard to handle, but emotional last longer! If I slap you it'll just hurt for a second or so, but if someone u really love would leave you, you'd be like a year or so suffering! :)

Rosenti
12-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Well emotion actually, physical pain can be really hard to handle, but emotional last longer! If I slap you it'll just hurt for a second or so, but if someone u really love would leave you, you'd be like a year or so suffering! :)

Most physical pain can heal, but most emotional cant.. Trust me ive tried... *sigh*...

Tavrobel
12-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Emotional by far.

Most physical pain is passing (House is an exception), but it seems more often that emotional pain will induce physical trauma, as well. I would venture a guess that emotional trauma would bug you in your sleep and in your awaking hours, while physical trauma would keep you from it, but once you get there, it's gone.

The mind also gagues physical pain based on severity, while emotional pain is there, and will get you when you least expect it. However, it is possible that old injuries will get you, also.

Now that I think about it, the two pains are very much alike, but I'd venture a guess that emotional is worse.

You can even get medicine for both, but emotional seems to counter it not by making you feel better, but by making you feel worse and making you like it.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-27-2006, 10:48 PM
I don't know about this. There are some physical pains that look agonizing, like whiplash. The closest thing I've had to that is a stiff neck and completely fucks up any sniff of comfort. You can't even move without the damn thing eating at your neck again. I was going to say emotional before I gave this proper consideration but I wouldn't know because I've never experienced emotional turmoil.

Oh yeah and some diseases can also wreck you internally so there's more linkage going one way than the other

Rosenti
12-27-2006, 10:51 PM
I don't know about this. There are some physical pains that look agonizing, like whiplash. The closest thing I've had to that is a stiff neck and completely smurfs up any sniff of comfort. You can't even move without the damn thing eating at your neck again. I was going to say emotional before I gave this proper consideration but I wouldn't know because I've never experienced emotional turmoil

yes but all that pain goes away and heals. But being whiplashed can leave emotional pain, dependign on the situation.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-27-2006, 10:53 PM
I edited my post before I read yours so I'm disregarding what you just said :)

Old Manus
12-27-2006, 11:06 PM
I wouldn't describe it as emotional pain.

Dr Aum
12-28-2006, 12:07 AM
I like all types of bread.

Rosenti
12-28-2006, 12:07 AM

Rocket Edge
12-28-2006, 12:08 AM
Emotionally obviously.

Dr Aum
12-28-2006, 12:09 AM

Sorry, French attack.

EDIT: Emotional pain is far worse than physical. There's no physical equivalent to the emotional pain of longing for something. Well, except when BDSM is involved.

Megami
12-28-2006, 10:59 AM
It depends on what kind of emotional pain and physical pain.

It can be hard to recover from an emotional pain but there are serious diseases and health problems that causes you physical pain, affecting your well being and quality of life.
On the other hand, being an healthy person, there's always the possibility of making an effort and try to see life from a different point of view and have fun "living" again.

Bunny
12-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Physical pain is a state of mind.

Quindiana Jones
12-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Emotional.

And Bunny's pretty right.

Jess
12-28-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm going for emotional pain. Sometimes if I'm emotionally unhappy for a long while I usually end up getting physical pain, too. I get a feeling in my stomach that soon turns to pain and pains in my chest. It's weird! :jess:

Crop
12-28-2006, 02:37 PM
Physical for me. I can handle emotional pain, I have been dished a handful of both and physical was always hard for me.

Rocket Edge
12-28-2006, 02:44 PM
So is emotional.

Bunny
12-28-2006, 02:53 PM
So is emotional.

Yes, but pointing that out is kind of useless as everyone knows that emotions are a thing of the mind. Few people understand the concept of physical pain being a state of mind.

Khaotic
12-28-2006, 02:58 PM

You're comparing apples with oranges. Try being shot in the head and having lifetime injuries where you're mentally retarded for the rest of your life.

Polaris
12-28-2006, 03:00 PM

You're comparing apples with oranges. Try being shot in the head and having lifetime injuries where you're mentally retarded for the rest of your life.

Try to lose ur best friend and live the rest of ur life with it!

Resha
12-28-2006, 03:01 PM
I say physical. Maybe it's just a state of mind too, but I think emotional pain is easier to conquer (if you really put your mind to it) than physical pain. Emotional pain can stem from so many things; misconceptions, perceptions, y'know? There's something so concrete and definite about certain types of physical pain. Like if I chopped my finger off. (yay scenario!!)

Moon Rabbits
12-28-2006, 03:19 PM

Most physical pain can heal, but most emotional cant.. Trust me ive tried... *sigh*...

Emotional pain can't be healed? What the heck are you on about?

Physical for me. I can handle emotional pain, I have been dished a handful of both and physical was always hard for me.

Yep, that, and what Resha said.

edit: Oh yeah, and physical pain can leave ugly scars, while emotional pain leaves 'scars' that aren't visible to anyone.~

Shiny
12-28-2006, 06:10 PM
You can't run from emotional pain. Emotional pain, for me actually leads to physical pain too. So, I'd say emotional is worse.

Nominus Experse
12-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Emotional is worse in terms of its severity and nature, but also by the fact that it has a myriad of methods of arrival. Physical pain can only be instigated via the obvious concrete touch of another entity (or in extreme cases, triggered by emotional instability), whereas emotional pains can be initiated by countless, many relative, conditions. The fact that so many emotional pains are relative to the sufferer is an aspect that makes treating the pain so very difficult.

And with a commanding and trained mind, one can easily overcome the agitation caused by physical pain. Emotional pains are a more difficult process, and one only a few can actually harness.

A bone may mend, but a soul may ever be lost.

Crop
12-28-2006, 06:57 PM

It would be easier to recover from that, than be mentally retarded for the rest of your life, it ruins your life, and you cant do anything about it. You can recover more with losing your best friend.

Quindiana Jones
12-28-2006, 10:27 PM
I say physical. Maybe it's just a state of mind too, but I think emotional pain is easier to conquer (if you really put your mind to it) than physical pain.

I'm the exact opposite. I always totally ignore any physical pain unless it's gonna do me serious damage, whereas I find emotional pain is like trying to run away from your shadow in a sunny field.

Khaotic
12-28-2006, 10:53 PM

It would be easier to recover from that, than be mentally retarded for the rest of your life, it ruins your life, and you cant do anything about it. You can recover more with losing your best friend.

Exactly. And you're lucky you didn't die.

You can't die from emotional, however, you can die from physical.

Bunny
12-28-2006, 10:54 PM
Emotional pains can result in suicide. Which is, most assuredly, a form of death.

I Am Stoner
12-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Heres one way to put it.

If your friend or a member of your family dies, its sad but it passes on. It you get your leg cut off accidentally by snapped razor wire or something you will never walk again! But then again, the pysical pain will wear off (if he/she survives for long enough) and you're left with the emotional pain of never walking again. So its a difficult one to answer. I don't have an answer actually. Well, whatever.

-N-
12-28-2006, 11:10 PM
Physical pain is governed by the rules of science, rules external to my control. Emotional pain is only governed by by mind, and since I have far more control over my mind than I do over the rules of science, I can deal with emotional pain better. Therefore, physical pain is worse since I am less equipped to deal with it.

An abrasive corollary: If you think emotional pain is worse then you are dumb and weak.

:evil:

Dr Aum
12-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Physical pain is governed by the rules of science, rules external to my control. Emotional pain is only governed by by mind, and since I have far more control over my mind than I do over the rules of science, I can deal with emotional pain better. Therefore, physical pain is worse since I am less equipped to deal with it.

An abrasive corollary: If you think emotional pain is worse then you are dumb and weak.

:evil:

I think I'll go cry in the corner now.

But seriously, it depends on your personal pain thresholds and personality. At least physical pain is useful for defense and learning. From a pragmatic standpoint, emotional pain isn't useful for much other than cultivating an affected self-image.

Iceglow
12-29-2006, 01:58 AM
Emotional pain.

The reason I believe it to be emotional pain to be worse is that the body naturally will shut off the pain, believe me when exposed to stupendous amounts of physical pain the body somehow manages to mute it. I had my jaw shattered and it hurt, hurt like hell but even before the doctor at the hospital injected the morphine in to my system to help ease it I found my body slowly but surely shutting the pain down, the nerves are like alarm claxons and the pain merely the ringing after so long you know they're going but you can still shut off the loud sounds that go with it.

Emotional pain however you have to work through on your own, all this counselling stuff is really just getting you to the place where you are capable and willing to face the problem but in the end it's always going to be you and you alone. Whilst some people see failure to deal with emotional pain as weak I accept from the point of view that I could generally always deal with my emotions well everyone can and probably will be put in the situation where they cannot cope with emotional pain in this lifetime and untill you are in that situation you will never truly understand just how much emotional pain truly hurts.

Renmiri
12-29-2006, 02:06 AM
[quote=Ice Angel;2043321 emotional last longer!

Most physical pain can heal, but most emotional cant.. Trust me ive tried... *sigh*...[/QUOTE]
Emotional by far. Physical pain can be dulled to a bearable level, even when untreatable and chronic. Trying to cure your emotional pain by dulling out your emotions is a lot worse than the malady... Makes you a living zombie.

Most emotional pains do "heal" but leave a sore spot inside you. You're healed, you moved on but you can still remember the acute pain and shudder at the memories. Physical pain is easily forgotten.

At least physical pain is useful for defense and learning. From a pragmatic standpoint, emotional pain isn't useful for much other than cultivating an affected self-image.
Well, the "consolation prize" is that you learn to avoid that kind of pain next time, by learning about yourself and how you and others interact. So in theory the failed love, friendship, etc.. will teach you to find and keep your true love and true friends. I have found that to be accurate in the past, in my case, so I grin and bear the next wave of pain in the hope it will help someday.

Reminds me of a Beatles song

I look at the world and I notice it's turning
While my guitar gently weeps
With every mistake we must surely be learning
Still my guitar gently weeps

Mirage
12-29-2006, 03:31 AM

I don't think this thread is about the actual damage done, but the pain you feel because of it.

For me, I'm not sure. I don't feel emotional pain very often. I guess it is because I don't really let things affect me, and if I let them, I get over them after not too long. I also think I'm pretty good at ignoring physical pain. I acknowledge that something is wrong, and avoid straining those parts of me, but I don't let the actual pain bother me a lot.

I guess I'll go with emotional, because of the few times I actually had those, I felt worse than the pain any physical damage has made me feel.

Pure Aerisbeauty7
12-29-2006, 03:52 AM
I think emotional pain is the worst. When I was little, a lot of people didn't like me and I didn't know why. It doesn't bother me as much now, but it does little bit. Emotional pain makes you rethink the event.

NINJA_Ryu
12-29-2006, 04:09 AM

Yuffie514
12-29-2006, 06:33 AM
emotional. some never recover from it.

Renmiri
12-29-2006, 07:19 AM
emotional. some never recover from it.
That depends on how you define "recover" I guess. I grant you that some emotional scars are unforgettable and some still hurt years later. Like the death of a loved one, be it mom, dad, kid or partner. You never forget but you remember it less often and with less pain.

Having been through a lot, I think I did recover. Never forgot some of it, but did move on with my life. I'd like to believe I'm not unique and that people DO recover even if they never forget. :)

You are a) lucky you never had a serious emotional pain, b) a sissy if you think a stubbed toe - or whatever physical pain - hurts more than the pain of losing someone you love or other emotional maladies.

I gave birth to 3 kids. I know physical pain. I hardly remembered any of them after the week they happened. The same is not true for heartbreak or losing someone close.

Jojee
12-29-2006, 07:33 AM

XD I laughed out loud.

Emotional. It can really hurt.

Drex
12-29-2006, 08:34 AM
Depends. The potential for emotional pain is arguably larger because it seems more difficult to max out - there comes a point where physical pain doesn't increase in proportion to the damage inflicted. You can be in pain to the point of passing out - your brain basically gives up on the whole pain idea. Doesn't want to deal with it. It's a lot more difficult to get someone to pass out from emotional pain. Rather, it causes deep psychological scarring, much of the time.

Both linger in different ways, too. You can have a chronic physical ailment that causes physical pain that can be difficult to bear, but the same can be said for emotional pain.

I prefer emotional pain, because I'm largely fairly good at dealing with it. If it's too big for me, though, I don't have much of an outlet to siphon it off.

VengefulRonin
12-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Emotional. But then again, i have never been set on fire or had my legs broken or anything like that. I think if it were to be pain that great, i (and probably most others) would choose emotional pain. Not to mention i dont have a strong tolerance for pain.

Hambone
12-29-2006, 09:24 AM

That's B.S. Everyone can feel it when they're getting punched in the stomach by someone.

Bunny
12-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Feeling something striking you does not always equate to physical pain. A person with rock hard abs getting punched in the stomach will still feel it, but chances are, they will not be in any sort of pain. On the other hand, plenty of people have tried their bodies and their minds to simply ignore harsh physical pain without having any sort of significant muscle mass.

The majority of 'pain' a person feels when, say, a limb gets cut off, is mostly due to the shock of seeing their limb missing. Shock is not pain; it is a state of mind. If you get rid of that, if you can block that out, the pain is not there. Yes, I am saying that with enough mental discipline, a person can resist the pain of getting an arm or a leg cut off.

Naturally, a person can also resist emotional pain. They have names for this: Sociopathy, psychopathy, you name it. That is not discipline, however, that is due to a chemical imbalance. They are entirely different from each other.

Megami
12-29-2006, 11:36 AM

I agree.
Exactly, that's what I meant.
It depends a lot on what kind of "Pains" we are talking about.
And it's very hard to establish a comparison here.

Extreme Physical pain can lead to emotional pain
And extreme Emotional Pain can lead to physical death (suicide).

But still, in emotional pain you have the possibility of a cure when with physical issues, you aren't always that lucky.
Most of people are so lucky to be healthy that they forget what is to be the opposite and how life turns different when it happens.

Kamiko
12-29-2006, 11:42 AM
So I guess the point is to compare and see which one hurts most right?
Well, if I could just eliminate emotional pain entirely, I'd have more fun.
So I guess emotional pain, it stops us from destroying the world.

Levian
12-29-2006, 04:19 PM
After seeing Saw 3 I'd take emotional pain over physical pain any day.

I don't let things get to me, but if it got too bad I could just move to USA, change my name and start a new beginning.

Madame Adequate
12-29-2006, 04:22 PM
In general, emotional pain lasts far longer than physical, and the drugs to cure it are both less reliable and less safe (Those drugs being actual drugs, like alcohol and heroin and whatever.)

I imagine there's plenty of physical pain that's worse, but the vast majority of physical pain I'm likely to encounter is a lot less serious, and a lot more fleeting, than the emotional pain.

Renmiri
12-29-2006, 06:23 PM
If you get rid of that, if you can block that out, the pain is not there. Yes, I am saying that with enough mental discipline, a person can resist the pain of getting an arm or a leg cut off.
Resist the pain and not feeling the pain are two vastly different things. I resisted the pain of childbirth several times, but I felt every one of those. Hurts like hell but the "end result" is so good you will be back next year with another kid :love:

Naturally, a person can also resist emotional pain. They have names for this: Sociopathy, psychopathy, you name it. That is not discipline, however, that is due to a chemical imbalance. They are entirely different from each other.
Chemical imbalance is also vastly different from sociopathy, psychopathy, etc... There is no chemical cure for psycopaths, but people who have neurochemical imbalance can be treated and live fairly normal lives.

And both of those maladies have nothing to do with having experienced pain. As a matter of fact, a person with bipolar or with a depression can feel pain for fairly trivial things or for no reason at all. That is one of the reasosn we know the person is sick: Their reaction to life events is out of proportion with what the events cause to the majority of us. They can get devastated for stuff we barely notice or for no visible reason at all.

Owen Macwere
12-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Physical pain is hard to endure, it is so hard and painful, makes you feel like your life is short.
Emotional pain is the hardest of the two, it makes you feel empty from the inside, like you ahve lost a peice of yourself somewhere where you can't find, like the world has gone upside-down, it hurts byound imagination. it is painful.

VengefulRonin
12-29-2006, 07:33 PM
The majority of 'pain' a person feels when, say, a limb gets cut off, is mostly due to the shock of seeing their limb missing. Shock is not pain; it is a state of mind. If you get rid of that, if you can block that out, the pain is not there. Yes, I am saying that with enough mental discipline, a person can resist the pain of getting an arm or a leg cut off.

No, the pain is not caused by shock. In large injuries such as a limb being hacked off, the body going into shock is part of what stops the pain, as well as a surge of ardenaline. A few months ago the piercing i had in my left ear (in the cartilage, which is very sensitive) got hooked on my car doorframe and was ripped out. The initial ripping hurt for a split second, and then i barely felt any pain at all. This was because i had so much adrenaline pumping through my body from the shock of my ear being torn. And yes, you can feel a surge of adrenaline in your body, and yes i know what it feels like.

As a matter of fact, a person with bipolar or with a depression can feel pain for fairly trivial things or for no reason at all. That is one of the reasosn we know the person is sick: Their reaction to life events is out of proportion with what the events cause to the majority of us. They can get devastated for stuff we barely notice or for no visible reason at all.

Yep.

fantasyjunkie
12-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Physical. Emotional pain all you have to do is change your lifestyle, even if the pain is grieving over a loved one. I've had back problems for years and being in pain for days on end wears you down. :(

Raebus
12-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Physical pains eventually heal and you can take something to dull the pain but emotional pains are in your mind and sometimes, they never go away. It isnt as simple as changing your lifestyle, for me atleast.

Rosenti
12-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Physical. Emotional pain all you have to do is change your lifestyle, even if the pain is grieving over a loved one. I've had back problems for years and being in pain for days on end wears you down. :(

But what if someone did somethin to you, that you were completely horrfyfied about, and no it doesnt have to be sexual. That you are scared for life, from that one thing. No matter if you changed your life style it would still be there.

Renmiri
12-30-2006, 01:12 AM
Some emotional hurts stay with you long after you "changed your life style". Back pain has nothing on those.

But they do heal, even if the memories can still haunt you on some off days. At least I like to hope mine did. They don't bother me much nowadays, thankfully :D

Vincent, Thunder God
12-30-2006, 01:47 AM
Emotional is by far the most painful. I know from experience. My emotions have been as extreme as any human can stand without killing himself. In fact, since I've put my moods in check, I've been much more tolerant of physical pain than most, because I have felt the infinitely worse effects of inner turmoil.

LoveArya
12-30-2006, 01:53 AM
Emotional.You can always learn something from it. Theres nothing like the feeling of somebody ripping your heart out and then throwing it on the floor.

Then again, physical hurts too, especially in parts where it can mess up your life.

~*~Celes~*~
12-30-2006, 01:54 AM
Emotional. It lasts longer.