PDA

View Full Version : It's 2007 and I still play...

Pike
12-28-2006, 03:36 PM
...StarCraft. XD It's such a good game though. Fun, balanced, and the proverbial easy-to-learn-but-difficult-to-master. I'm going to be playing this game until SC2 comes out, and if that game ends up failing then I'll be playing it even longer. Not only is it my favorite RTS, but it's one of my very favorite games, period.

SO! This thread is about: what games do you still frequently play, even though it has been many years since they first came out?

(P.S. I know it's not quite 2007 yet... but close enough.)

(P.P.S. This is my first thread ever =D)

Bunny
12-28-2006, 03:40 PM
I still play Destiny of an Emperor. It was released in 1989. I still haven't beaten it. =(

I also play Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord and Wizardry: Heart of the Maelstrom with regularity. Although not so much in recent months. Haven't beaten them either. But I don't know many that have, so I'm content with that.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-28-2006, 03:49 PM
I don't get to play that many games nowadays, seeing that I no longer can abuse the amount of time I once had when I was at secondary school. I should also point out that I'm a bit of a cheapskate and it's usually a case of buying games only when the price has been slashed so when I do buy a new game it tends to already be out of date :p

Jowy
12-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Destiny of an Emperor is fucking impossible and I will never beat Lu Bu.

I play through Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid about once a year. It's impossible to get tired of those games.

Odaisé Gaelach
12-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Unreal Tournament. :love:

Timerk
12-28-2006, 03:55 PM
I am just playing through FFVI right now, and I only finished VII, VIII and IX about a year ago.

I will most likely be playing IV and V heading into 2007 :).

Moon Rabbits
12-28-2006, 04:22 PM
A better question to me would be "What games do you play that aren't from before the turn of the millenium?"

Every old Final Fantasy still gets the odd play through. I have countless NES and SNES roms, as well as the original Lunar Silver Star Story. Starcraft and Warcraft II still get played offline occasionally by me.

Day of the Tentacle never gets old, kids ;D

Chrono Trigger has me still trying to get all the endings.

I also play lots of freeware, alot of which from the past few years, but it's all very ''old'' looking.

Xander
12-28-2006, 04:29 PM

Have I told you lately that I love you?

It's 2007 and I still play Toejam and Earl. Jammin' since 1991 baby. And well a bunch of other megadrive games. Micro Machines is worth a special mention, as that never gets old and is such a fun multiplayer game. Pretty much all my favourite games are years old and there's loads more I still want to take the time to play again, especially point and clicks.

Tavrobel
12-28-2006, 04:59 PM
XD It's such a good game though. Fun, balanced, and the proverbial easy-to-learn-but-difficult-to-master. I'm going to be playing this game until SC2 comes out, and if that game ends up failing then I'll be playing it even longer. Not only is it my favorite RTS, but it's one of my very favorite games, period.

Terran: Heavy Metal, or Marine/Medic Blitz
Zerg: Just rush, damnit
Protoss: Mass Goons or Carrier

I still play SC and D2. That's it.

Ender
12-28-2006, 05:03 PM
I play through the entire Quest for Glory series on the pc every so often. The first game came out in 1989 I believe. QG1 was my first real fantasy game (although I played the ancient ASCII-graphical Castle Adventure (http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Reviews/CastleAdventure/index.html) before that) and the nostalgia keeps me coming back.

I do a playthrough of the Zelda games from time to time.

I also decided to take up a quest over the last year or two to go back and play a lot of the great games from the past that I missed. The Monkey Islands, the early WarCraft games, and a few others I have played are more than ten years old.

Ryth
12-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy VI
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Disaster Report
Shining Force: Legacy of The Great Intention

Yes, I have a lot of free time for this stuff.

JKTrix
12-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Duck Hunt

NINJA_Ryu
12-28-2006, 05:43 PM
The C&C games, along with the Blizzrd games hold me still, along with AOE.

also, i have never really "beaten" any of my games except for KOTOR 1 and 2, FFIV, OOT, Mario 64, and thats about it.

Keep in mind i have about 40 games :(

Rainecloud
12-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Wind Waker, Banjo Kazooie, Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles, Super Mario (most of the series), Final Fantasy VII, Little Big Adventure 1 & 2.

And many more. Those are my favourites, though.

Shoeberto
12-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Doom, as well as Quake 1 and 2. Source ports ftw.

I also still have a handful of PS1 games that I've gotten but never beaten, or worse, hardly played. I think I might make it a goal of mine to beat them all.

DK
12-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Destiny of an Emperor is smurfing impossible and I will never beat Lu Bu.

I've had his arse before, it was the people after him that totally wasted me. :monster:

Ashley Schovitz
12-28-2006, 06:31 PM
I'll play Mario until the day that I die.

Araciel
12-28-2006, 06:48 PM
any number of old crpgs and random good games from nes/master system all the way up to PS1....on my PC any crappy D&D game, cause i've always been obsessed!! TOEE IS THE GREATEST ...can't get enough of them...and they remind me of when i was a lazy little kid instead of a lazy 'adult'....heck i still play old obscure board games that came out before i was born

Madame Adequate
12-28-2006, 07:34 PM
The Suikodens, Vandal Hearts, Vagrant Story, Starcraft, Morrowind, Deus Ex, Chrono Stuff, FFVII, and tons of others. xD

I Took the Red Pill
12-28-2006, 07:36 PM
Skullmonkeys.

Slicksword45
12-28-2006, 08:07 PM
FFIX and Starcraft :)

Little Blue
12-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Startopia, Space Empires III and Civilisation: Call to Power. I'm not sure if they were released pre 2000, I just know I've had them a while and always turn back to them eventually.

Nominus Experse
12-28-2006, 08:56 PM
It seems that Vvardenfell and Solstheim have been my places of residence for the last three or four years...

Erdrick Holmes
12-28-2006, 10:09 PM

Is that the SF game for the Saturn?

I still play my Dreamcast. I've had it plugged into the same TV and have been playing it for years.

RiseToFall
12-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Instead of going next-gen this Christmas season, I went back and picked up Tales of Destiny and Tales of Eternia for PS1.

Roto13
12-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Final Fantasy VI. Every year at least once.

Zeromus_X
12-28-2006, 11:09 PM
Final Fantasy VI. Every year at least once.[/COLOR]

:) :cat:

Along with FFIV and Chrono Trigger.

Vincent, Thunder God
12-28-2006, 11:10 PM
Tetris. Beat that.

I still play tons of SNES and Genesis games too.

-N-
12-28-2006, 11:16 PM
HEROES OF MIGHT AND MAGIC WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Other than that, nothing you wouldn't expect, just the usual classics.

Vincent, Thunder God
12-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Day of the Tentacle never gets old, kids

The Monkey Island series, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Sam and Max, Full Throttle, The Dig, and Grim Fandango don't either. :D

escobert
12-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Starcraft pissed me off when people started TKing all the time >:(

Tavrobel
12-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Drophack, please.

Meat Puppet
12-29-2006, 01:10 AM
Yikes. I thought I hibernated for a few days too long.

It’s almost 2007 and I still play Wizball (atari st version).

Ryth
12-29-2006, 05:48 AM

Is that the SF game for the Saturn?

I still play my Dreamcast. I've had it plugged into the same TV and have been playing it for years.

Genesis. The one that came right after Shining In The Darkness, it was the first to use the Shining Force title though. Actually I had screwed up; "Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention" (not a big deal, but I'm anal about these things). It is also on the Mega Drive and was also remade for the GBA under the subtitle Ressurection Of Dark Dragon. It was put in Sega Smash Pack 2 for the PC, and that is where I still play it today.

There were three Shining titles on the Saturn (correct me if I'm wrong); Shining Wisdom, Shining The Holy Ark, and the first scenario of Shining Force III.

Yuffie514
12-29-2006, 06:39 AM
Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven, released in 2003. it's not been that long, but it is the oldest of the recent games i've been playing...

VengefulRonin
12-29-2006, 07:58 AM

Have I told you lately that I love you?

It's 2007 and I still play Toejam and Earl. Jammin' since 1991 baby. And well a bunch of other megadrive games. Micro Machines is worth a special mention, as that never gets old and is such a fun multiplayer game. Pretty much all my favourite games are years old and there's loads more I still want to take the time to play again, especially point and clicks.

Have i told you that i love you? I miss that game sooo much.

I have chrono trigger, been like a year since i've played it though...working on VI, still playing IX.

And i picked up Halo 1 the other day. I know its not from the 80's or 90's, but hey...i'm just now getting around to buying it, so i'm kinda behind everyone else xD

NeoCracker
12-29-2006, 08:10 AM
Day of the Tenticle sounds uber sexy.

I've went back to play Chrono Trigger and EarthBound quite a few times, as well as Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. I loved that game, beating out Chrono trigger in the number of endings you can see. 13 I believe it was.

Renmiri
12-29-2006, 08:14 AM
Zelda.... Ocarina of Time, Four Swords,...

And Yoshi's Island on my old N64.

But I have kids so I blame them ;)