PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Sued for Patent Infringement

Khaotic
12-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Taken from another forum:

For those who don't check ign, nintendo is being sued by a company for copyright infringment. Apparently some other company had a similar idea to the wii mote before nintendo made the wii. If the company wins, nintendo could actually fall, because they demand:

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/750/750001/patent-infringement-lawsuit-filed-against-nintendo-20061208112902873.jpg

"The complaint demands that Nintendo be enjoined and restrained from further infringing on the patent, presumably by taking the Wii off the market. Furthermore, the filing demands that the court order Nintendo to pay Interlink three times the assessed damages, including prejudgment interests and attorney fees. Additionally, the plaintiff is demanding a jury trial of any and all issues pertaining to the case"

Source (http://wii.ign.com/articles/750/750001p1.html)

Shlup
12-29-2006, 09:56 AM
If the Wii gets pulled that company will literally be burned to the ground.

Not that it'll happen. You can't just pull the Wii!

lufia
12-29-2006, 10:28 AM
futile attempts to milk nintendo down !

KentaRawr!
12-29-2006, 11:53 AM
I heard about this before. It's pretty interesting, but I must say, their Wiimote design looks incredibly uncomfortable. :shifty:

ljkkjlcm9
12-29-2006, 04:58 PM
been posted here some time ago

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=98261

THE JACKEL

Madame Adequate
12-29-2006, 08:47 PM

Oh man, if it did get pulled though? I'd laugh and laugh and laugh!

Rye
12-29-2006, 08:51 PM

But... but... but... WiiGolf? ;__;

JKTrix
12-29-2006, 09:01 PM
I saw it last time it was posted, but it would be interesting to see how this turns out.

Hopefully Nintendo can just pay 'em a bunch of money, and give everyone a DS to settle it for them. I think it's a little extreme for them to demand that the Wii be taken off the shelves.

Roto13
12-29-2006, 09:03 PM
NINTENDO WILL EAT THEM

Dr Aum
12-29-2006, 09:19 PM
NINTENDO WILL EAT THEM

After beating them to death with gold ingots.

Verdi666
12-29-2006, 09:53 PM
I heard about this before. It's pretty interesting, but I must say, their Wiimote design looks incredibly uncomfortable.
I agree that it looks uncomfortable but you'd be so suprised. Also I think Nintendo won't be beaten as this has happened to many smaller gaming companies in the past and it didn't stop them. (Now unfortunately all the little ones are gone, but hey!!)

Elite Lord Sigma
12-30-2006, 05:55 AM
My opinion was already stated in the first thread.

Rainecloud
12-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Someone should patent patents, and then sue people for patenting things without patent permission.

That's how ridiculous things can get regarding patents. :/

NINJA_Ryu
12-30-2006, 06:53 PM
NINTENDO WILL EAT THEM

After beating them to death with gold ingots.

wonderful idea! *calls up nintendo*

Ninny, you wont believe what i just found out! you should whisperwhisperttkkcha!

Madame Adequate
12-30-2006, 06:55 PM

Oh, I'm not saying it wouldn't be a loss.

I'm just saying the hilarity of ten million angry Nintendo fans is clearly gonna outweigh this loss. :p

Slicksword45
12-30-2006, 08:36 PM

Oh, I'm not saying it wouldn't be a loss.

I'm just saying the hilarity of ten million angry Nintendo fans is clearly gonna outweigh this loss. :p

now THAT would be funny. :)

JKTrix
12-31-2006, 02:56 AM
I agree with this post :P

It would be better off for their company if they allow Nintendo to continue selling the console, because the worldwide wrath of the Nintendo fans will be detrimental to their own company.

Roto13
12-31-2006, 06:25 AM
If the Wii goes away, what will happen to NiGHTS? :(

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/rotothirteen/3229.jpg

Oh hush. It's not real. But it could be some day. :P

Slicksword45
12-31-2006, 06:48 AM

Kinghts will explode. duh.

Maxico
12-31-2006, 12:04 PM

I think I just died.

Although people don't seem to understand that NiGHTS is far more suited to an analog controller than a pointer device.

Madame Adequate
12-31-2006, 03:24 PM

xDDD I almost had a heart attack for a moment. But yeah, like Maxico says, it'd be better on the other consoles.

Dr Aum
12-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Why do you toy with me like that, Roto? :cry:

Frankly I think that the Wii would be ideal for NiGHTS. But I might be biased.

Hambone
12-31-2006, 05:17 PM
Yes! Now PlayStation can take its rightful place as king of videogames! :mwahaha: I'm totally kidding.

Madame Adequate
12-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Why do you toy with me like that, Roto? :cry:

Frankly I think that the Wii would be ideal for NiGHTS. But I might be biased.

You know, the more I think about it, the more plausable it sounds. It could work. I don't know that there's any guarantee, but I can see if being something special.

(And if it were special, of course, it'd instantly make the Wii the best console ever.)

Maxico
01-01-2007, 08:35 PM
NiGHTS could definatly work on the Wii, but it would make much more sense to use the analog stick than using the remote as a controller.

Due to the fact that changing the angle of an analog stick and instantly getting an on screen response is a far more visceral method of controlling, whereas having the character follow your pointer is much more indirect and less responsive.

And I couldn't really see how it would handle title sensitivity.

Overall, NiGHTS was developed for, bundled with and best played with the analog stick. And all of the new consoles have an analog stick so no console is more suited to it than another.

Roto13
01-01-2007, 09:40 PM
The Wii has an analog stick and a pointer, but the controller itself is motion sensitive as well. You could wrap it in paper and tilt it and stuff and get a response. :P

fantasyjunkie
01-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Nintendo wii(sorry, bad pun) smash these guys into the ground. All they have to do is explain to them what all the angry fans will do to their establishment if they don't back down. :tongue:

Eiko Guy
01-02-2007, 12:06 AM
If the wii is gone before I buy one I'll find the company that did this and be The green assasin. and if that doesnt work ill buy a lot of gamecubes. Nintendo has to get back up somehow right?

Laddy
01-02-2007, 03:58 AM
Crap, will my Wii suck?

Khaotic
01-02-2007, 05:06 AM
Crap, will my Wii suck?

Don't worry about it, even if they did lose, not much would happen, and even if something terrible happened, like.. they had to cancel Wii production, all future games, etc, the system itself would most likely sky-rocket on Ebay for all those die-hard nintendo collector fanboys/girls.

Eiko Guy
01-02-2007, 05:33 AM
aint that the tryth

BatChao
01-02-2007, 06:07 AM
I think they will probably settle this out of court.

Devourment
01-05-2007, 12:05 PM
1. That remote looks s**t all like the Wiimote

2. There's not really that many option for design when you make a remote for something, they're all going to look similar

3. Who was this other company? [I can't view the site] & if this other company isn't anything to do with gaming why the f**k should they be at all fussed about the idea? Apart from using this as an excuse to try & ruin a major gamining company & milk them for thier money.

What a load of b*****s. :rolleyes2

Madame Adequate
01-05-2007, 02:05 PM

2. There's not really that many option for design when you make a remote for something, they're all going to look similar

3. Who was this other company? [I can't view the site] & if this other company isn't anything to do with gaming why the f**k should they be at all fussed about the idea? Apart from using this as an excuse to try & ruin a major gamining company & milk them for thier money.

1) It's not appearance, it's function.

2) Doesn't matter if there's only one way in the entire universe to do something, if I get a patent on it, everyone else owes me. And it's still function that matters.

3) Careful, your fanboy is showing.

Devourment
01-05-2007, 03:20 PM

1) It's not appearance, it's function.

2) Doesn't matter if there's only one way in the entire universe to do something, if I get a patent on it, everyone else owes me. And it's still function that matters.

3) Careful, your fanboy is showing.I am not a fanboy, I don't even own the new Nintendo console. I didn't queue for hours before the release of the Wii, I did not take money out of an account I normally wouldn't to buy it, I did not ask my mum to lend me the money for it, I don't own that many Nintendo games & to be totally honest with you, I'm more disinterested in games now than ever. I can't be arsed for this fanboy rubbish.

I'm just fed up with nonsense. I find the reasons behind this apalling. Just trying to grab some money. I live in England, I'm already fed up with money grabbers. The rubbish to do with all three of the major manufacturers all the hype & arguing. "This is better because it has amazing graphics!!!111!1".. "No, no, no! This is better because, It's got a remote!!11!" ..

It's getting right on my t**s, & so are a lot of other things at this moment in time.

Madame Adequate
01-05-2007, 04:58 PM
One is essentially required to defend one's copyrights and patents - that's why Disney are such dicks about it, for instance, and sue preschools which paint their characters on the wall or something. Not because they want to be, but because if they let someone violate copyrights, for whatever reason, then someone else who does it and should be taken to task over it has only to point to the case where the law was not enforced, and that's it. The company has to demonstrate a consistent and complete interest in defending their IP, even if that leads them to bring apparently hopeless, pointless, or malicious cases.

KH-Cloudy
01-06-2007, 01:30 AM

If your talking about that, don't forget SSBB!

Goldenboko
01-06-2007, 01:40 AM
We all know that Nintendo is just going to use a sheild of 5 billion lawyers and get away with the Wiimote.

NINJA_Ryu
01-06-2007, 01:55 AM
Or stick Mario on thier asses.

Careful man, that guy has some serious 'shooms.

-N-
01-06-2007, 04:35 AM
I think they will probably settle this out of court.Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about this. Technology patent lawsuits are like a dime a dozen.

CimminyCricket
01-06-2007, 04:42 AM

Ah Don't do that! I remember playing Nights: into dreams, Nights Christmas and stuff on the Sega Saturn and stuffs...omfg....OMG...why did you do that?

Roto13
01-06-2007, 05:20 AM

Ah Don't do that! I remember playing Nights: into dreams, Nights Christmas and stuff on the Sega Saturn and stuffs...omfg....OMG...why did you do that?

Man, that's the best image I've ever posted in any forum anywhere ever. XD

Shadowdust
01-07-2007, 09:51 AM
I think they will probably settle this out of court.Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about this. Technology patent lawsuits are like a dime a dozen.

Agreed. Give this other company its time to make its noise and I'm sure they'll finally reach a reasonable settlement. No one wants a lengthy court battle. It's just not profitable for either side, I would think.