PDA

View Full Version : WHAT RACE are these people? lol

Joshcfl08
12-29-2006, 04:49 PM
are they supposed to be asian? One scene Tidus looks american than he looks asian w/ messed up blonde dye. and what is Lulu/Wakka? im so confused make up ur mind lol. i just always thought of that

Little Blue
12-29-2006, 05:00 PM
I once read somewhere that they're supposed to appear slightly "asian" so as to appeal more to the Japanese audience since Japan I would guess is Square's primary market. When converted to US and EU markets, they really are not going to bother recoding the graphics so that they can look more western. This is also why the lip sync to the dialogue is crap.

So I heard...

Tavrobel
12-29-2006, 05:09 PM
The game overall has far more of an Asian feel than its past three (or all nine for that matter) predecessors. The lip syncing IS crap, but it's their first shot, so I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Joshcfl08
12-29-2006, 05:09 PM
thats so dumb. if ur targeting them just give one or two characters and asian so that u can appeal to both America and Asia. it just makes sense. they just messed up in that area

jammi567
12-29-2006, 09:12 PM
and? if a game is meant to be set in the Asian area (which ffx is) then you're going to make your characters look like they've lived there all their lives.

Cruise Control
12-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Are all of you (with the exception of Tavrobel) on crack? Haven't you noticed your beloved characters in 7-12 (the ones you can actually see :skull::skull::skull::skull: in) look similiar to something out of anime? If they were "asian", they would lose appeal to the Western areas. The inverse if they were "western". So they look mildly like anime to appeal to Japan, and people who are into the japanese subculture.

Jowy
12-29-2006, 09:40 PM
That's just the shlock that Nomura refers to as art.

KasaiDraco
12-29-2006, 09:42 PM
are they supposed to be asian? One scene Tidus looks american than he looks asian w/ messed up blonde dye. and what is Lulu/Wakka? im so confused make up ur mind lol. i just always thought of that
So you're saying Asians can't be American? The TRUE Americans, i.e. the Native Americans look Asian. So the characters in the normal scene don't look American, they look European.
And why is it in some FMVs, Tidus' eyes are brown, like in the Kilika Dance one and The Last Chapter FMV?

Psychotic
12-29-2006, 09:50 PM
They look caucasian in the actual game's graphics, and they look asian in the FMVs. Mind you, they're not supposed to be any race from Earth anyway, because they're from Spira.

Rosenti
12-29-2006, 11:17 PM

Well Yuna is Half Asian. Cause you can see she has Asian Blood, but not that much. Tidus, he is defintly not ASIAN.

KasaiDraco
12-30-2006, 01:39 AM
^ Yeah he is. He looks pure Asian there. Well, except for the blonde hair.

blackmage_nuke
12-30-2006, 05:33 AM
Theyre Spiran
or Spiranese

-

Joshcfl08
12-30-2006, 06:11 AM
Tidus is definitely confused. u cant be TWO different races its not going to work. he looks completely different from fmvs compared to actually playing him. okay w/e Spira is not an actual country lets look realisticly. they werent thinking that when they created the gam.e

Odaisé Gaelach
12-30-2006, 06:19 AM
Mind you, they're not supposed to be any race from Earth anyway, because they're from Spira.

Owned! :D

Joshcfl08
12-30-2006, 06:32 AM
it doesnt fucking matter. they all shouldnt look like 2 different people from fmv's to the fighting and what not. it doesnt make sense. u have to make games MATCH which is the same with the voices. it doesnt work which is why final fantasy 12 doesnt have problems with that because X screwed up in that department. done deal.

blackmage_nuke
12-30-2006, 11:33 AM
I dont think it's a problem or a screw up. I think it's pretty neat that they can have a vague race yet still look normal.

-

vorpal blade
12-31-2006, 01:05 AM
it doesnt smurfing matter. they all shouldnt look like 2 different people from fmv's to the fighting and what not. it doesnt make sense. u have to make games MATCH which is the same with the voices. it doesnt work which is why final fantasy 12 doesnt have problems with that because X screwed up in that department. done deal.

Actually, I don't think it matters if "they all... look like 2 different people from fmv's to the fighting and what not." You see, it's just a game. In certain areas (as in normal field/battle scenes) they'll pay less attention to ethnic details than other scenes (as in close-ups and FMVs). And that's because they're not obsessed with every minor detail.

Ditto for the voices. The languages are completely different (with the exception of borrowed words, like ファイナルファンタジ) so you can't expect them to match up all the time. If you can match them, good, if not, who cares. I don't mind the poor lip-synching; it looks funny.)

Besides, they're Spiranians.

Tavrobel
12-31-2006, 01:57 AM
They are clearly the evil devil spawn of Psychotic.

Joshcfl08
12-31-2006, 02:17 AM
THATS ridiculous with what u just said. "its just a game" its not just a game u cant create a game with that mentality. it has to match!

LunarWeaver
12-31-2006, 02:26 AM
Goddamn that Square and their non-catering to Western audience's needs.

blackmage_nuke
12-31-2006, 04:21 AM
u cant create a game with that mentality.

They already did and it was a screaming success

-

forgotten_fantasy
01-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Ethnicity of the real world doesn't translate into final fantasy, why should it? There is no Japan in final fantasy 10 so why do you expect the characters in it to look like they came from there. As black mage said they are spiran.

ScottNUMBERS
01-01-2007, 04:40 PM
The game overall has far more of an Asian feel than its past three (or all nine for that matter) predecessors. The lip syncing IS crap, but it's their first shot, so I give them the benefit of the doubt.
Did they really change the animations in the game from Japanease lip sync to English lip sync? I was under the impression they didn't. If they did they needn't have bothered.

There is no Japan in final fantasy 10 so why do you expect the characters in it to look like they came from there.
There is also no Asia so why make them look Asian?

Joshcfl08
01-01-2007, 07:30 PM
OKAY not thinking that they should like asian or japanese or whatever SQUARE SHOULD NOT MAKE THE CHARACTERS LOOK COMPLETELY different from fmv scenes to scenes and gameplay that arent in fmv. its as simple as that.

rubah
01-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Alright, you can be in charge of writing the rendering engine for real time rendered scenes.

The characters in ff7 look completely different from their fmv counterparts in-game. So the ones in ff8. We still have things such as "technical limitations"

Tavrobel
01-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Did they really change the animations in the game from Japanease lip sync to English lip sync? I was under the impression they didn't. If they did they needn't have bothered.

What I meant that it was their first shot at voice acting for a series. I had not intended for that to be read as them changing the lips to match the syncing (which they did not do).

cally777
01-02-2007, 05:50 AM
I agree that race should not really matter as its a fantasy world. However as Joshcfl08 says, there is a mix-up between the FMV and other cut sequences. Sometimes this is good, sometimes not. In FMV, Tidus looks like a weird mixture of races which I personally think is freaky, Wakka looks amusingly fat and Rikku rather cutely Japanese/anime. I guess its whatever floats your boat in the end.

Joshcfl08
01-03-2007, 12:42 AM
okay at the time Final Fantasy X was a success but I gurantee if they did that screwup again it would not be. Technology is improving and things like that which stands out so much should be looked at and fixed. U cant compare technology from previous games u have to compare it to the technology that is currently at top. its expected that final fantasy x to be better than 7 and 8 so dont even bring those up in this topic. the scenes did not match which does not look good to the games reputatin therefore was a problem with the game no question. Okay there race is "Spiran" but that does not mean that they should look different from scenes u still did not answer that question which proves im right.

N8V_Tidus25
01-03-2007, 01:10 AM
they're native americans:D for a lot of native americans have an asian look but you can also tell they are western, MO, hehehe

Joshcfl08
01-03-2007, 03:45 AM
umm no

N8V_Tidus25
01-03-2007, 08:01 AM
umm no

it was a joke fonzy, quit life

Hambone
01-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Well, Wakka looks like a pacific islander.

Joshcfl08
01-04-2007, 12:34 AM
umm no

oops im sorry I forgot to laugh.

N8V_Tidus25
01-04-2007, 03:03 AM
umm no

oops im sorry I forgot to laugh.

idk if u know this but *ctrl+x* is spose to come out of the other hole... now back to the topic

There's a swear filter for a reason. Oh, and no more bickering like this thank you very much! - Psychotic.

- - - TAURUS - - -
01-04-2007, 06:15 AM
They're Japanese Native Americans with Western influence.........

cally777
01-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Maybe we should give a bit of respect to Square though. I kinda doubt if Western-based computer game makers would go to even this much trouble to make the characters look right for whatever part of the world they were marketing them at. True, they probably wouldn't need to. But Japanese anime has nearly always "Westernised" its characters. Luckily for us.

Still they should have got the FMV and cut sequences to match better.

Dynast-Kid
01-04-2007, 09:41 AM
okay at the time Final Fantasy X was a success but I gurantee if they did that screwup again it would not be. Technology is improving and things like that which stands out so much should be looked at and fixed.

It was.

U cant compare technology from previous games u have to compare it to the technology that is currently at top. its expected that final fantasy x to be better than 7 and 8 so dont even bring those up in this topic. the scenes did not match which does not look good to the games reputatin therefore was a problem with the game no question. Okay there race is "Spiran" but that does not mean that they should look different from scenes u still did not answer that question which proves im right.

No, you're not right. As stated above, technological limitations prevented SE from being able to have each character to look exactly the same in every point of the game. There's gonna be a slip-up or two.

Joshcfl08
01-07-2007, 02:36 AM
umm they can control not having slip ups

Moon Rabbits
01-07-2007, 03:40 AM
Yusuke Naora (Art Director) heard that many people were interested in Asian themes, and since he personally was interested in them too, he shared the idea of making FFX incorporate the idea and theme with other staff members. They all shared the same thoughts about having an Asian themed game and Nomura worked to merge that into his designs.

Most of the inspiration for FFX's colorful and embellished overall designs came from Thailand, the South Pacific and in turn parts of Japan. This reflected the way of life on rural islands and matched the feel displayed in holiday brochures, which the team actually got much inspiration from. Most of the more tribal looking fashions were found on the NPC characters and the elaborate decorations hanging from everyone's hair. The Asian look is further obvious with the shape of eyes and face on many of the main characters, even if they had non-Asian coloring.

When asked how Nomura designed his characters, he explained that he draws the face first and adds in the rest of the details once he gets more information about the character (ex: "sports athlete", "summoner"). He also did the same thing for FFVIII. He learnt that the atmosphere should be Asian and was requested to "make Tidus different from that overall theme" in order to make him stand out, apart from that world.

Question answered. (http://flaregamer.com/b2article.php?p=81&more=1)

Jesta
01-07-2007, 10:44 AM
its a GAME people!!!!!! it baffles me how a discusion like this can continue.....that is true boredom...but anyway...

the developers make characters to attract their intended market. the main theme for the FF series has been the asian style of architecture and advancement, and hence, the asian "feel" to everything.

in X, the formality of the summoners (geysha), the honour of the warrior (samurai), the small towns like Kilika (tribes - societies organized largely on the basis of kinship), little things like that. its nothing major, but it helps draw in their intended market. its all based on sales and marketing, and a minimal amount of it is based on the actual game. but the fact remains, why develop a game that wont sell????

Joshcfl08
01-07-2007, 10:25 PM
that website was way too long for me to read. im not reading that whole thing i have a life. and u can still appeal to other nations as a game being successful w/out screw ups

f f freak
01-07-2007, 10:38 PM
im not reading that whole thing i have a life

You obviously don't if you're worried over a silly little thing like this.

Jesta
01-08-2007, 04:02 AM
im not reading that whole thing i have a life

You obviously don't if you're worried over a silly little thing like this.

:bow:

Old Manus
01-08-2007, 06:42 PM
I want even more funnyness from this thread

The characters are scandinavian btw.

Joshcfl08
01-11-2007, 04:27 AM
it still didnt answer the question but okay? lol. the link didnt prove nething from race

vorpal blade
01-11-2007, 07:47 AM
it still didnt answer the question but okay? lol. the link didnt prove nething from race

"Most of the inspiration for FFX's... overall designs came from Thailand, the South Pacific and in turn parts of Japan."

I thought it did.

N8V_Tidus25
01-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Tidus is a zanarkadian...

Joshcfl08
01-27-2007, 11:25 PM
there isnt such thing as a Zanarkadian

Little Blue
01-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Yes there is. Like a person from England is English, or from America is American. To be city specific is also possible, Londoners are from London (also known as cockney's by some), Brummies from Birmingham (I dunno foreign equivilants, New Yorker from New York perhaps :p).

So someone from Zanarkand could be called Zanarkandian, or whatever the suitable form of the word is. Whether this can also be used to describe one's race however is debatable, but I think not :p

Joshcfl08
01-28-2007, 12:21 AM
i hate to break it to u...but...ZANARKAND IS FAKE. so the developers were like lets make them look like there from Zanarkand when its a fake city. lame lame lame

Hambone
01-28-2007, 12:34 AM
I want even more funnyness from this thread

The characters are scandinavian btw.

I thought everyone was. :confused:

Joshcfl08
01-28-2007, 12:37 AM
i think u guys just know there is a mistake in the game and u just cant admit it. because u guys are just weird and not being logical.

Little Blue
01-28-2007, 12:40 AM
wtf you on about? Zanarkand being fake. I went there yesterday! Seriously, it's just down the street from me, next to Narnia.

Hambone
01-28-2007, 12:41 AM
What? Just because we like FFX, that doesn't mean we don't have lives.

N8V_Tidus25
01-28-2007, 01:38 AM
i think u guys just know there is a mistake in the game and u just cant admit it. because u guys are just weird and not being logical.

why do you care? the rest may be japanese or whatever but kimhari is clearly native american

N8V_Tidus25
01-28-2007, 01:42 AM
i hate to break it to u...but...ZANARKAND IS FAKE. so the developers were like lets make them look like there from Zanarkand when its a fake city. lame lame lame

what makes you think it's fake? I go there all the time, it's clearly not fake at all, I don't know where you got that from.

Little Blue
01-28-2007, 01:47 AM

what makes you think it's fake? I go there all the time, it's clearly not fake at all, I don't know where you got that from.

Well you're just copying me, you little copier! :mad:

I would so badly own you with an overdrive right now, if only my overdrives were any use...:(

N8V_Tidus25
01-28-2007, 01:59 AM

I would so badly own you with an overdrive right now, if only my overdrives were any use...:(

I totally didn't even read your posts till just now but thank you for getting my point out on the zanarkadian subject, you spared me a minute of life and for that I walk in your shadow. and your overdrive is no match for my super-active-hyper-kinetic-molecular-exoskeleton-quickening mist attack!

Ouch!
01-28-2007, 02:03 AM
Or, you know, they're perfectly normal because they're not throwing a temper tantrum about something that really isn't as big a deal as you're making it out to be.

I need some more gasoline; I'll be back later.

Little Blue
01-28-2007, 02:05 AM

I totally didn't even read your posts till just now but thank you for getting my point out on the zanarkadian subject, you spared me a minute of life and for that I walk in your shadow. and your overdrive is no match for my super-active-hyper-kinetic-molecular-exoskeleton-quickening mist attack!

No problem :D

You may step out of my shadow if you wish, just please don't use your super-active-hyper-kinetic-molecular-exoskeleton-quickening mist attack... It sounds painfull...

N8V_Tidus25
01-28-2007, 02:15 AM

No problem :D

You may step out of my shadow if you wish, just please don't use your super-active-hyper-kinetic-molecular-exoskeleton-quickening mist attack... It sounds painfull...

It's actually a hair-cut :D but it's not a very pretty one, anywho we better get back on subject before a certain someone whos name shall not be mentioned goes postal like I did when my cheetohs got stuck in the vending machine. so yeah back to the topic

Kimhari is native american no question about it.