PDA

View Full Version : The Wii & The PS3

The Fat Bioware Nerd
12-29-2006, 07:10 PM
I don't know about you guys but where I live the Wii is hard to come by...and there's still one PS3 available. I went to Wal-Mart and Best Buy today looking for a Wii and they said it's still sold out.

I asked a Wal-Mart employee when he thinks they'll get another shipment of Nintendo Wiis and he said "I don't know...I thought we'd have some Wiis after the holiday season but it's over now and we still don't have any."

And I said "Wow the Wii is almost as popular as the PS3." and he said "We actually still have one PS3 available but it's just sitting there."

ljkkjlcm9
12-29-2006, 07:17 PM
yeah, I was in a store at the mall and asked for a Wii, he said they didn't have one but they had a bunch of 360s and a few PS3s available. The Wii is doing amazingly well, selling out almost immediately everywhere.

THE JACKEL

fantasyjunkie
12-29-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm getting the Wii instead of the PS3. Why? It's simple math. I'm married with a kid and $250 is a LOT easier than $600. Geez, it took me almost a year to save up for my 360. :mad:

Breine
12-29-2006, 07:53 PM
It's nice to hear that Nintendo is finally doing great again. They really deserve it.

I'll undoubtedly buy a PlayStation 3. Why? Well, I like Sony and I can't live without my Tekken, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid. PlayStation just has the best game series, closely followed by Nintendo. If I have the money I'll probably buy a Wii later on.. I've always had a soft spot for Nintendo and their games - it's pure quality.

JKTrix
12-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Indeed, I will eventually own a PS3--Virtua Fighter 5 or not. There are games coming that I do want.

It is great to see Wii doing well right now, I guess the buzz around it really worked.

Dreddz
12-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Theres a few Wii's at my local Gamestation, although the last time I checked was last week so who knows by now.

I'm getting the Wii instead of the PS3. Why? It's simple math. I'm married with a kid and $250 is a LOT easier than $600. Geez, it took me almost a year to save up for my 360. :mad:

If I had a nickel for everytime you've told us that.....

JKTrix
12-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Then you could probably buy a Wii :P

Madame Adequate
12-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Buy it for me plz?

The Fat Bioware Nerd
12-29-2006, 11:19 PM
If the PS3 had better games that are available right now and an inexpensive price tag I'd buy it, no console is worth six hundred bucks in my opinion not even Sony's newest console...The PS3 also needs a new controller that has a built-in rumble pack. The lack of a rumble pack is another reason why the Wii is better than the PS3 in my opinion.

Rostum
12-30-2006, 12:29 AM
I want to buy both, eventually. They both look nice to me. :) I just have way too much other stuff I'd rather save up for now.

tidus_rox
12-30-2006, 01:19 AM
PS3= amazing Wii= pretty good! I own over Sony (dang it!) cuz I waited in line for both but was cut off right at the door and they said they had no more! What luck. now i cant find one and i have spent all my money on Wii accesories... *sigh*

The Fat Bioware Nerd
12-30-2006, 07:04 AM
No offense tidus_rox but if you're going to judge a system like the Wii solely on graphical power alone...I hate to this but you're not a gamer you're a graphics whore there's a difference. Don't get mad at me and don't try to deny it I read your post you said "...I pay more attention to graphics."

Rase
12-30-2006, 09:14 AM
No offense tidus_rox but if you're going to judge a system like the Wii solely on graphical power alone...I hate to this but you're not a gamer you're a graphics whore there's a difference. Don't get mad at me and don't try to deny it I read your post you said "...I pay more attention to graphics."
Yes, that's obviously what he meant, seeing as how he mentioned graphics a grand total of zero times in his post. Who but him is to say why he thinks the PS3 is better than the Wii? You assume he's talking about graphics, when it could be, oh I don't know, the games for it. Even if it is because of the graphics, so what? I don't see how that makes him any less of a "gamer" than you. I love how there is now a sort of hierarchy where "true gamers" look down on anyone who says graphics are important.

Anyway, I myself just received a Wii as a late Christmas gift and am very happy with it (I'm currently playing through Twilight Princess). I won't be getting a PS3 because of the price and th fact that a friend will probably have one anyway, so the games I want to play I'll just play on theirs. I haven't really played any Final Fantasy since VIII, and most other exclusives the PS3 has I can live without, so it wasn't a very had decision for me.

Rainecloud
12-30-2006, 09:19 AM
I bought a Wii for two reasons. Firstly, I prefer the Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Smash Bros and Metroid franchises over the Tekken and Ridge Racer franchises that you find on Sony's consoles.

Second, I can't afford a PS3. Plain and simple. :P

I'm glad Wii is selling out everywhere. Nintendo have put a lot of work into their latest home console, and it appears to be paying off ... at the moment.

VengefulRonin
12-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Riiiiiiiidge Racer!

I dont have either, but i would get a Wii first. Not only is it cheaper, but one of the launch titles (Zelda) is actually worth getting (that Rayman one is probably pretty good too). The PS3 costs a massive chunk of money, and has no titles that i'm interested in right now. The only future PS3 games that i know of that i would like to play are Devil May Cry 4, Onimusha 5, and Final Fantasy XIII: Versus. But those games wont make me buy a system thats half a grand, i'm just not doing it. The one with the biggest draw is XIII, and frankly, i'm starting to lose faith in the Final Fantasy franchise.

The Wii will have quite a few good games, and it also has that lovely store where you can purchase oldschool games (Toejam and Earl, anybody?). But in truth...i want a 360 the most (mainly for Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo 3, and some other game whose name escapes me at the moment).

The Fat Bioware Nerd
12-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Yes, that's obviously what he meant, seeing as how he mentioned graphics a grand total of zero times in his post. Who but him is to say why he thinks the PS3 is better than the Wii? You assume he's talking about graphics, when it could be, oh I don't know, the games for it. Even if it is because of the graphics, so what? I don't see how that makes him any less of a "gamer" than you. I love how there is now a sort of hierarchy where "true gamers" look down on anyone who says graphics are important.

Anyway, I myself just received a Wii as a late Christmas gift and am very happy with it (I'm currently playing through Twilight Princess). I won't be getting a PS3 because of the price and th fact that a friend will probably have one anyway, so the games I want to play I'll just play on theirs. I haven't really played any Final Fantasy since VIII, and most other exclusives the PS3 has I can live without, so it wasn't a very had decision for me.

What are you talking about most of the games out for the PS3 suck haven't you seen the all PS3 reviews X-Play episode? What I meant was most gamers will play an old game regardless of the graphics because of the gameplay. Graphics whores won't play an old game because the outdated graphics hurt their eyes.

Rase
12-30-2006, 08:45 PM
What are you talking about most of the games out for the PS3 suck haven't you seen the all PS3 reviews X-Play episode?
No, I haven't, and I doubt I will. Even if I had, I wouldn't base my entire assessment of a system and it's games based on one reviewer.

The general consensus that I've been seeing is that both the PS3 and Wii have a few great games out right now and a lot coming in the future. The Wii's main hitters seem to be Twilight Princess (which is fantastic, in my opinion), Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, and the Metal Slug Anthology, with Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, WarioWare: Smooth Moves, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl being the big ones to watch. The PS3, on the other hand, has Resistance: Fall of Man, NBA 2K7, and Fight Night Round 3, with Virtua Fighter 5, Devil May Cry 4, Lair, and Final Fantasy XIII in the future. Both systems have their own sets of blockbuster titles that play to the wants of their respective camps.

What I meant was most gamers will play an old game regardless of the graphics because of the gameplay. Graphics whores won't play an old game because the outdated graphics hurt their eyes.
And what I was saying was that it seemed pretty odd to call tidus a "graphics whore" when he makes no mention of graphics or hating old games because of their graphics.

Slothy
12-31-2006, 02:23 PM
What are you talking about most of the games out for the PS3 suck haven't you seen the all PS3 reviews X-Play episode?

Uhh, no. Maybe instead of listening to a single reviewer, you should play the games and form your own opinions. Resistance rocks. My friends and I have spent most of the last few days playing it, even forgoing our usual Guitar Hero sessions for it. Motorstorm is pretty fun as well, and anyone who enjoyed games like X-Men Legends would have a hard time finding any fault with Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. And there are more games I've yet to play for it. Like any console (particularly at launch) the PS3 has it's share of the good and the bad. The Wii launch isn't exactly all sunshine and lollypops.

The lack of a rumble pack is another reason why the Wii is better than the PS3 in my opinion.

You rag on people who think graphics are important, and then turn right around and say rumble is so important that Sony needs to redesign their controller? Rumble has never, to my knowledge, been used in a way that really had an impact on gameplay. It was always little more than a novelty feature, unlike the motion controls that have replaced it. I'm not going to say I buy into the idea that rumble would interfere with the motion controls, but if it's gone, at least we have something with the potential to enhance the gameplay experience in its place. I'll be honest, I haven't even really noticed that rumble is gone when I'm playing.

And yes, for the record I have a PS3 (if that weren't becoming obvious).

Hambone
12-31-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm still gonna buy a PS3 instead of a Wii, but I'll wait till next Christmas when they won't be so 'buggy'. I just don't like the Wii's and I'm totally against them. I still don't know why though.

VengefulRonin
12-31-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm still gonna buy a PS3 instead of a Wii, but I'll wait till next Christmas when they won't be so 'buggy'. I just don't like the Wii's and I'm totally against them. I still don't know why though.

Good idea about the PS3...consoles are always buggy when they first come out. Not to mention it's bloody expensive.

I'm not sure why you're so against the Wii...but if you DID want one (or others) i'd wait longer on that so they could have time to work on the controller more (from what i've heard, the built-in speaker in the controller sounds like crap).

Ryth
12-31-2006, 11:40 PM
I noticed this, whenever I went to buy a Wii, they said they had no more Wii's. Then they looked around and leaned into me and whispered "But we have PS3's..."

This made me lawl.

fantasyjunkie
01-01-2007, 12:51 AM
I noticed this, whenever I went to buy a Wii, they said they had no more Wii's. Then they looked around and leaned into me and whispered "But we have PS3's..."

This made me lawl.
LOL! Did they really lean over when they said that? Oh man, I can picture that right now! :D :D :D :D :D

I would LAWL too! :D :D :D :D :D

Ryth
01-01-2007, 01:06 AM

This made me lawl.
LOL! Did they really lean over when they said that? Oh man, I can picture that right now! :D :D :D :D :D

Yes, he looked around. Seriously, looked around; and leaned towards me and whispered me that.

What made me laugh more is that it happened more than once, different guy, different place, same scenario.

Erdrick Holmes
01-01-2007, 01:07 AM
The Wii because it actually has some fun games and is affordable. The only way I'll ever actually get a Playstation 3 is if Sega somehow goes nuts and decides to make the next Sonic or Phantasy Star game a PS3 exclusive.

Ryth
01-01-2007, 01:09 AM
The Wii because it actually has some fun games and is affordable. The only way I'll ever actually get a Playstation 3 is if Sega somehow goes nuts and decides to make the next Sonic or Phantasy Star game a PS3 exclusive.

I didn't know people would still buy Sonic games. Especially after that whole Shadow The Hedgehog mess, and the Sonic Heroes shovelware...and...whatever, you get it.

fantasyjunkie
01-01-2007, 08:30 AM

This made me lawl.

Yes, he looked around. Seriously, looked around; and leaned towards me and whispered me that.

What made me laugh more is that it happened more than once, different guy, different place, same scenario.

I am laughing right now in front of my monitor :D :D :D :D

forgotten_fantasy
01-01-2007, 03:59 PM
The reason wii is doing so well is it is so much cheaper and possibly more fun to play, I think nintendo didn't predict this success and didn't make as many wiis as they should have

Setzer Gabianni
01-01-2007, 04:08 PM
It's nice to hear that Nintendo is finally doing great again. They really deserve it.

I'll undoubtedly buy a PlayStation 3. Why? Well, I like Sony and I can't live without my Tekken, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid. PlayStation just has the best game series, closely followed by Nintendo. If I have the money I'll probably buy a Wii later on.. I've always had a soft spot for Nintendo and their games - it's pure quality.

This mirrors my thoughts exactly..just replace Metal Gear with DMC XD.

Though I'm thinking twice about getting a wii later on. The novelty for me has kinda worn off..and the only game I really care about for the wii is Pokemon Revolution (I do hope that comes out for the G-Cube).

Everyone goes on about how great it is, and that for me, eh, sure I loved going on it, but the hype put me off.

If there is any hype for the PS3, I hope that doesn't put me off >>

All the other games I want are coming out for DS, PS3 - I want games like FFIII, FFXII: Revenent Wings, and that new Zelda DS game. Oh, and not forgetting future Pokemon, Mario titles..:D

~Setzer Gabianni