PDA

View Full Version : get the power up, win the game.

Jowy
12-29-2006, 08:28 PM
So, what do you think is the single most obnoxiously powerful power-up/weapon/spell/whatever in game history? I'm going to go ahead and say that the Crissaegrim from Symphony of the Night takes that award hands down. Mashing attack mindlessly will kill everything in front of you and really sucks the difficulty out of the second half of the game.

Roto13
12-29-2006, 08:51 PM
The power stones in Power Stone are kind of annoying. I always find the game more fun without them. It's like whoever manages to collect all three power stones automatically wins the round.

Shoeberto
12-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Blue Gravity Gun ;DDD

Araciel
12-29-2006, 10:45 PM
i would say the hamburger from final fight...WAY too overpowered

tidus_rox
12-30-2006, 01:59 AM
I have never exprerianced something overpowered...

Roto13
12-30-2006, 02:03 AM
Home run bat. :P

Polnareff
12-30-2006, 02:19 AM
It's like whoever manages to collect all three power stones automatically wins the round.

Well, there is dodging to offset the damage from potentially being hit (not to mention taking damage in a transformed state=big drain of the Power Stone meter), but I still see your point. Wangtang and Ayame are hard to beat when they're transformed.

Skyblade
12-30-2006, 02:24 AM
Knights of the Round. While its MP cost is crippling (without HP<->MP), it is a move that can single-handedly take down the endgame bosses with a single hit, and in that case, MP doesn't much matter. It may not be terrible for random encounters, since you can only use about 3 before you are out of MP, but if there is a single move that will allow you to win FFVII, it is that summon.

Elite Lord Sigma
12-30-2006, 05:52 AM
Drachma's attack Hand of Fate is absurdly overpowered. It can take out any non-boss in a single hit, and is capable of bringing down Ramirez in only three strikes.

vorpal blade
12-30-2006, 09:05 AM
So, what do you think is the single most obnoxiously powerful power-up/weapon/spell/whatever in game history? I'm going to go ahead and say that the Crissaegrim from Symphony of the Night takes that award hands down. Mashing attack mindlessly will kill everything in front of you and really sucks the difficulty out of the second half of the game.

Oh, yeah? Try TWO crissaegirms with TWO Rings of Varda. Now THAT'S power!

I think the Masamune from FFX is pretty strong, too, when it's fully powered.

The Concrete Donkey from the Worms games is ridiculously destructive, and so is the Super Banana Bomb.

Dr Aum
12-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Vanish -> X-zone.

Timerk
12-30-2006, 03:17 PM
The Hadoken in Mega Man X.

Shoeberto
12-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Super Banana Bomb.
bwaha, cheapest weapon ever. But man it's fun to turn on unlimited Super Banana bombs and just see how long everyone lasts ;D

Slicksword45
12-30-2006, 05:38 PM
Jinpac's "Stun then Fireball" attack.

Madame Adequate
12-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Planet Buster Bombs, with a level 4 fuel component, in SMAC.

You can literally tear continents apart. A couple of them will win you any war you're fighting. Of course, it pisses Planet right off and you have to face like a fiftyfold increase in mindworm attacks, but eh, the things are sill retardedly powerful. :p

Verdi666
12-30-2006, 06:22 PM
The most overpowered thing ever, I think is Prism Stars from Tales of Symphonia. It does a maximium of 9999 damage I belive 40 times and that can take out abbysion in one hit and its wy to damn easy to accomplish. Takes even the difficutky out of the nieblhiem bosses, sigh.

JaytodaP
12-30-2006, 08:00 PM
I think its a tie between the BFG 9000 (doom) and the Custom Desert Eagle (RE2) pretty much because both kill almost everything in one hit.

Little Blue
12-30-2006, 09:52 PM
Borg Tactical Fusion cube in Star Trek Armada II. Seriously, just build one of those beauties and have it set to search and destroy pretty soon it'll scour the whole map and destroy everything.

LunarWeaver
12-30-2006, 11:17 PM
I count T.G. Cid in FFTactics as a powerup that makes the game tilt towards the lame side. Yet I use him anyway because I can't resist his sexy appeal.

Zeromus_X
12-30-2006, 11:20 PM
The Plasma ability in Kirby Super Star is pretty broken (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fo6RgUnPqvU).

Nominus Experse
12-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Planet Buster Bombs, with a level 4 fuel component, in SMAC.

You can literally tear continents apart. A couple of them will win you any war you're fighting. Of course, it pisses Planet right off and you have to face like a fiftyfold increase in mindworm attacks, but eh, the things are sill retardedly powerful. :p
While insanely powerful, I never Planet Busters to be any lasting use. I say this because of what you mentioned of Planet retaliating with ridiculous numbers and strength(although you can circumnavigate Planet's strength by launching the Busters early in the game, when Locusts of Chiron have not yet come about, and the boils are relatively small and weak...), the moves you must make prior in order to make the operations taken legal and not cause your commerce to simply die off, and the fact that you are eliminating landmass, which houses the best bases by far seeing as water bases are usually less productive than their coastal counterparts.

However, if you are playing for the Conquer victory, than such a payload is an instant win. And seeing contininents dissappear is awesome in its own right.

vorpal blade
12-30-2006, 11:50 PM
I count T.G. Cid in FFTactics as a powerup that makes the game tilt towards the lame side. Yet I use him anyway because I can't resist his sexy appeal.

"Sexy appeal" aside, he is so amazingly strong the final battles were a cakewalk, and I mean one filled with chocolate cakes.

And how about the Positron Rifle in Castlevania:AOS? Reaches halfway across the screen and lasts long enough to do several hits per blast. That's strong.

DarkHeat787
12-31-2006, 12:13 AM
Bleed! =D

Bleed + Sleepga on your party is fun. xD

Markus. D
01-04-2007, 11:18 AM
any form of Blood Magic touch spell from Guild Wars

Wolf Kanno
01-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Limit Breaks, starting in FFVII and going all the way to FFX, they make the games way too easy... The Uber summons like Knights of the Round and Magus Sisters are also extremely cheap.

Stealth in MGS1. Sure you get to screw around with the guards now (anyone else like to strap C4 to a guards back?)and it doesn't affect the bosses but it still makes that game ridiculously easy...

Ichimonji
01-09-2007, 09:55 AM
All Final Fantasies from V-XII + T have at least one extremely cheap way of getting through the game. Mind you, some come much later than others. I'm sure you all know what they are.

Other than that, the R.Y.N.O. from Ratchet and Clank, The Patriot from MGS3, the Fireball from New Super Mario Bros., and the Draw Hidden Skill from Zelda Twilight Princess.

Captain Maxx Power
01-09-2007, 12:01 PM
The Munt Phoenix Gun in Sin.

Roto13
01-09-2007, 04:36 PM
the Fireball from New Super Mario Bros.

Yup. Any boss is toast in seconds with a fire flower.

Doomie
01-09-2007, 06:10 PM
As soon as I read this thread, I immediately thought of the Concrete Donkey. The thing is, I thought no one knew of it except a select few, so I thought I would need to explain myself. Boy, was my face red...

Concrete Donkey is so strong it feels like cheating. I'd say the Holy Hand Grenade, but you need some talent for that.

Mirage
01-09-2007, 06:20 PM
While we're at the topic of Worms, Armageddon.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-09-2007, 06:52 PM
CT5 Holy+Chameleon robes/Excalibur.

Ragna53
01-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Timing Geno's Geno Whirl right?

Momiji
01-10-2007, 12:48 AM
The Plasma ability in Kirby Super Star is pretty broken (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fo6RgUnPqvU).

I gotta try that sometime. As soon as I find my Super Nintendo.