PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill 2

LunarWeaver
12-30-2006, 07:38 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163606.html?tag=latestnews;title;1

There are a slew of film adaptations of video games in production right now, Hitman, Alice, and Postal, for example. Now, according to director Christophe Gans, Silent Hill 2 can be added to that list.

Gans, the Antibes-born director of the first Silent Hill movie, has revealed that a second SH film is on the way, and that it will correct the mistakes of the first.

The original Silent Hill, released on April 21 2006, told the story of Rose Da Silva, a mother who sets out to find a town called Silent Hill, which her daughter Sharon calls to in her sleep.

Gans confirmed in an interview with French magazine DVDrama, "There will indeed be a Silent Hill 2 and it is officially ordered and is already well underway. Once he has finished his adaptation of Driver, Roger Avary will be [working on the script], helped by his friend Neil Gaiman."

Roger Avary is a Canadian-born director, producer, and writer. He has previously worked on the screenplays for the first Silent Hill, Killing Zoe, and won an Oscar for his work on Pulp Fiction.

British author Neil Gaiman is most famous for his series of Sandman graphic novels, and has also worked on screenplays for the TV series of his novel Neverwhere, as well as Mirrormask and Princess Mononoke.

However, Gaiman's actual contribution is now under some doubt, after a post on his own blog stated, "Yesterday I discovered pretty much all of my FAQ messages were people asking whether I was really going to be writing the Silent Hill sequel with Roger Avary. I'm afraid that I don't think I am--I mean, it's the first thing I've ever heard of it, and I'm sure that if they make a sequel Roger would want to write it himself."

Gans' original statement has since been re-translated, so until there is clarification from Gans or Gaiman, some mystery still shrouds the title's development.

Gans added that he may not have time to take on the project himself, due to his commitments on the adaptation of another video game project, Onimusha.

When asked who he would like to direct if he was unable to, Gans told DVDrama that, "If I cannot take on Silent Hill 2 myself, the director who does would need to continue in the same style as the first film. One does not want to make a Hollywood-style movie, and I think that it makes sense if the director of the sequel is European--in the best case scenario, French."

He also revealed that he was planning a special two disc collector's edition DVD of the original Silent Hill, but that would be a long time coming, possibly not for two and a half to three years--and that he intends to start work on it only after finishing up on Onimusha.

I had such mixed feelings about the first that I'm not sure I want another one. Silent Hill the movie was not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, it's rather awful. But I have this nagging feeling in my head that keeps saying "Yeah, but they got close to getting it right, and that's something." They at least tried to retain the feeling of the games and translate it to another medium.

Hopefully they get it right this time... American audiences are too used to getting everything explained, everything has to have a reason for being like it is, and I wish they wouldn't bother with that because then they could make a Silent Hill movie where the town simply is evil because it is with minimal backstory about it. It's either that or squeeze such a convoluted story into 2 hours that a little girl literally explains the whole plot at the end of the movie to the audience.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is I wish they would follow the second game's plot, which was the best in my opinion. That game didn't really bother with the why but simply followed James's story, and to me it was much better off for it.

Edit: On a side note, all these other game-to-movie adaptions this article mentions makes me shake my head at the way they will most certainly turn out. Postal? Postal deserves a movie?

Shoeberto
12-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Postal's being made by Uwe Boll. So...

The first Silent Hill left me with a bad taste in my mouth right after the screening, but I liked a lot of the stuff they did with it. The movie was sufficiently creepy and kept consistent with the atmosphere of the games. I'm interested in seeing what they could do with a sequel.

Necronopticous
12-30-2006, 08:03 PM
I'm surprised to hear Gans is working on Onimusha. I thought he was going to be a Konami guy from now on.

Well, I for one am definitely interested in seeing how Silent Hill 2 pans out.

Moon Rabbits
12-30-2006, 08:10 PM
I haven't heard the first movie, but I heard mixed things. But Pyramid Head looked amazing, so I still have faith for when I see it.

I was really hoping that a SH movie wouldn't be connected to the games at all, and that it would just be another person's experience in Silent Hill. Unfortunately, I heard it's loosely based on the first and second games?

Well, I guess they could make SH2 into a movie. If they do, I hope they keep it as terrifying as the games. Lying Figures and Manniquens in full CG would be so scary. If this is like the SH2 game, they'd BETTER keep the first appearance of the manniquens in. That was utterly terrifying in game.

Dreddz
12-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Silent Hill was pretty good, even if its best bits were its gory scenes which are there just for the sake of being there ( skin ripping, yes please :D ). Ill wind up seeing this eventually.

LunarWeaver
12-30-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm surprised to hear Gans is working on Onimusha. I thought he was going to be a Konami guy from now on.

I was surprised about that as well. I thought Gans and Avery were going to be the team behind this mysterious Metal Gear Solid movie that Kojima finally allowed to happen, but now it doesn't seem as likely =o

Unfortunately, I heard it's loosely based on the first and second games?

It's really just based off the first, except Harry is a woman because they felt since the character had to show so much emotion a woman would be better. Other then that, there's just...Well, a more definite plot to answer the state of things, and it is different from the games but of a similar nature.

The movie only bothered me because they tried to make too much of a solid explanation for a lot of things, and the story ended up becoming very jumbled and gooey because of it. The game series does explain how things came to be, but there's still a lot of questions surrounding Silent Hill. I guess rather that's good or bad is up to the person, but I always like that they left a lot up to interpretation.

But don't get me wrong, the movie plot still has things that are kind of a mindboggle and some things that still flat out don't make sense (like Pyramid Head being in there, but that's fanservice and is allowed since he's awesome <3).

I shouldn't really say the first movie was "awful", though... There are good things about it. I'm simply torn on the whole matter. It merits a watch if you're a fan for sure. Hmm, the first does give me hope for this one, now that I think about it. I could see them really nailing it this time.

Madame Adequate
12-30-2006, 08:44 PM
SH did better than the vast majority of movies based on games, which is saying very little, but it was actually tolerable. Heck, I actively LIKE the first half of it. :p

Burtsplurt
12-30-2006, 08:54 PM
The first film had a good, believably creepy atmosphere, and Radha Mitchell was a convincing lead. It's just a pity that there was literally no plot. Woman sees girl, woman runs around, beats bad guy, runs around some more, beats bigger bad guy. I guess it was true to the video game in that sense. It felt like watching a video game, but without the interaction (which is kind of pants).

If they get a good script, then it has promise.

Odaisé Gaelach
12-30-2006, 08:54 PM
They're also making Clock Tower (http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060621j.php) into a film too. Anyone here a fan of Clock Tower...?

...anyone...

Pure Strife
12-30-2006, 08:55 PM
I loved the first movie. Thought it was bloody brilliant, no qualms with it whatsoever, loved it completely. The odd bit of naff writing or acting was in there, but I liked the story, the characters and the feel of the thing. I'm definitly interested in seeing a sequel, as long as it's done in a similar fashion, which I think is where the problem lies.

Person goes to Silent Hill, gets lost, has big adventure, sees some creepy stuff, has the odd revelation, escapes. Even in the games that only made for two actual titles, with SH3 and SH4 taking place partially outside the town, so it'll be interesting to see where they go for a plot. I read on a SH forum something about Gans stating he'd be going straight to the SH3 plot for the sequel, but I have no source for this atm. Still, looking forward to it :)

Roto13
12-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Neil Gaiman

Hell yes.

Dreddz
12-30-2006, 09:00 PM
They're also making Clock Tower (http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060621j.php) into a film too. Anyone here a fan of Clock Tower...?

...anyone...

Clock Tower is totally awesome, I even beat the second game on the Playstation, and thats saying something. I could see Clock Tower to be a decent movie ( if done correctly ), Clock Towers stories are great, on par with Silent Hills in my opinion.

Moon Rabbits
12-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Neil Gaiman

Hell yes.

Won't be working on it.

Aurey
12-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Euhh. I'm interested, even though I didn't enjoy the first. If I don't hear anybody say "FORGET YOU!" during the movie, I'll cry. That was my favourite line from the second game.

Dr Aum
12-30-2006, 10:59 PM
I really need to play a Silent Hill game. I love horror. Then I should see the movie. I love seeing bad movies.

On a side note, I'm extremely sad that Gaiman is in fact not writing the script for SH2.

On another side note, I'm extremely excited about Alice.

Madame Adequate
12-30-2006, 11:01 PM

...anyone...

Yep. Me.

LunarWeaver
12-30-2006, 11:05 PM

...anyone...

I didn't know they were making a movie of that :jess:. I was almost excited until I clicked that link and read that the man writing the script wrote "When a Stranger Calls". Now I'm just depressed again. But that's alright, I don't like change and this is comfortable for me.

escobert
12-30-2006, 11:19 PM
I liked the first movie so cool I Guess :p

Germ Hamee
12-30-2006, 11:54 PM
I am completely torn on this. I'm actually one of the few fans that really loved the movie. While I was disappointed in the lack of "Nowhere", the addition of crazy witch burners, and a ten minute explanation from a little girl, the rest of it blew me away. =D

But... a sequel. I dunno. It seemed like they were setting things up to have Christopher take on James' role for SH2, searching for his wife in Silent Hill. I. Really. Do not like. That. Idea. >.<;; Their only hope is to pretty much entirely ignore the first movie and adapt the game SH2 word for word. Anything less will leave me a grumpy camper.