PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Games on American PS1?

KuroiKitsune
12-31-2006, 05:50 PM
I was thinking about buying the Japanese version of FFVIII, but I'm worried that I won't be able to play it on my American console. I have swap magic for ps2 games, but I don't think that it would work for a ps1 game... FFVIII is in NTSC-J format and I heard American ps1 consoles can play NTSC-J games, but I want to make sure before buying... Does anyone know if this is true?

Also...

I'm fine with playing FFVIII on my old ps1, but it would be even better if I could play it on my ps2. Is there something like swap magic that would allow me to play import ps1 games on my ps2?

Thank you~!

Endless
12-31-2006, 09:46 PM
I was thinking about buying the Japanese version of FFVIII, but I'm worried that I won't be able to play it on my American console. I have swap magic for ps2 games, but I don't think that it would work for a ps1 game... FFVIII is in NTSC-J format and I heard American ps1 consoles can play NTSC-J games, but I want to make sure before buying... Does anyone know if this is true?

Also...

I'm fine with playing FFVIII on my old ps1, but it would be even better if I could play it on my ps2. Is there something like swap magic that would allow me to play import ps1 games on my ps2?

Thank you~!

My swap magic 3.6 came with a dvd (for dvd games) and a cd (for cd games), but I never checked if it worked with psx games (I don't need to, I have a modded psx).

A US psx won't play Japanese games, due to region locking, so you'll have to get a swap disc for psx or get it modded.

KuroiKitsune
01-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Thank you~!

KasaiDraco
02-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Or you can buy the game and play it on an emulator.

JKTrix
02-05-2007, 03:22 PM
SwapMagic doesn't work for PS1 games.

Mirage
02-05-2007, 03:24 PM
You need a special swap disc made for PS1 games. Region locking is a wonderful way of treating your customers, isn't it?

o_O
02-06-2007, 12:28 AM
As JKTrix said, Swap Magic is for PS2 CDs and DVDs only.

You might want to look into <a href="http://www.breakerpro.com/">Breaker Pro</a>. I've found that it works nicely, but don't throw away Swap Magic, as Breaker Pro is only for PSX games. :p

You could also try a memloader, but they don't really tend to work very well.