PDA

View Full Version : Marilyn Manson - what do you think of him?

VengefulRonin
12-31-2006, 11:14 PM
There's a topic about his This is Halloween cover, but what do you guys think of him and his music in general? I love Manson's music, and as an individual, he's pretty cool.

Venom
12-31-2006, 11:15 PM
I liked his music better when John 5 was with him.

LunarWeaver
01-01-2007, 12:33 AM
I've liked some of his songs. I dig him well enough, but I'm not really a rabid fan or anything.

As for his appearance and music videos, I never saw the hoo-ha about it. It's really just marketing what ya got to who ya got. All these millions of pop stars that make music videos of nothing other then their hair blowing in the wind and water splashing on them with two generic dancers in the background are what's odd to me. At least he tries to be something other than that.

Darth Anarcus
01-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Manson is my favorite artist, but he started going downhill once Twiggy left the group.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-01-2007, 12:55 AM
from what ive heard from his music, hes pretty decent, his music videos scare me though:(

vitality-
01-01-2007, 01:16 AM
I own each of Manson's EP's. At one point he was my favorite musician, but my style has strayed away from metal/industrial and I don't hold his style in such a great accord as I used to. Mechanical Animals still remains one of my favorite CD's, however. Most of his harder songs make great workout music also.

Jowy
01-01-2007, 06:01 AM
BRIAN WARNER~

I like Mr. Manson a whole lot. Mechanical Animals makes me squee.

Boney King
01-01-2007, 06:05 AM
He seems like a very cool individual, certainly intelligent.

As for his music, I never really cared for it. I absolutely respect him as an artist, but the songs he writes fail to resonate with me.

Madame Adequate
01-01-2007, 06:16 AM
Mechanical Animals is an amazing album. I absolutely love Coma White.

Renmiri
01-01-2007, 08:24 AM
I know a few of his songs and I like them. Also liked how he cancelled his show in Columbine right after the events there, while the NRA putzes kept on selling and advertisng weapons. Shows you who is the "demon spawn" there!

Sephex
01-01-2007, 09:12 AM
Cool, I didn't know that there were so many Manson fans here! I used to like Manson a lot more when I was in High School, but the band is still one of my favorites. I as well loved Mechanical Animals, and of course Antichrist Superstar is awesome. Portrait of an American Family is under-appriciated, I think. I really enjoyed Holy Wood, and even Golden Age of Grotesque was cool.

Anyway, as a band, I like the music a lot. As far as Manson himself goes, I think he is very intelligent, but he does seem to get a little too pretentious at times.

Araciel
01-01-2007, 10:03 AM
manson's ok...some of his covers are good too...he has good taste in music heheh

Leeza
01-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Manson is my favourite artist, of course. :) I love his music, he is very intelligent as Sephex has stated and he's awesome with his watercolours...even though it's stuff that I would not really want to see on my walls, except for Lily White, Aliester and Greta. I love Lily White! I wish I could afford to buy a print. :cat:

Araciel
01-01-2007, 11:02 AM
yeah he is intelligent...i remember watching an interview of his and being blown away

Madame Adequate
01-01-2007, 03:55 PM
I know a few of his songs and I like them. Also liked how he cancelled his show in Columbine right after the events there, while the NRA putzes kept on selling and advertisng weapons. Shows you who is the "demon spawn" there!

The NRA's type of organization means that they are legally required to hold an annual meeting for members. It was far too late to change it to somewhere else, and it was against the law to postpone it. They cancelled every single part of the meeting in Colorado which they were able to and significantly reduced the length of the function.

Also, it's false to equate violence with the tools used to commit violence.

Edit: Of course that's not to disparage Manson in any way, he's entirely free of blame too, I just don't like misinformation existing.

Dr Aum
01-01-2007, 04:17 PM
His music is lovely and from what I've seen on interviews here and there, he's a very thoughtful fellow. Two thumbs up in my book.

Alive-Cat
01-01-2007, 04:25 PM
He's amazingly imaginative when it comes to music, art and writing. From what I hear other than his "This Is Halloween" cover he has sort of put Marilyn Manson on a hold to pursue movie making, which I think is going to be amazing. I can't wait to see what he conjures up in a movie.

Dr Unne
01-01-2007, 05:02 PM
I listen to him at work.

Renmiri
01-01-2007, 05:56 PM
The NRA's type of organization means that they are legally required to hold an annual meeting for members. It was far too late to change it to somewhere else, and it was against the law to postpone it.

I think we are both referring to Michael Moore's "Bowling for Columbine" scenes about it ?

Part of what you say is fact, but it was definitely NOT against the law to cancel it. The NRA was just cheap and insensitive at best, or stubborn and "holier than though" at worst, trying to shove the point "guns not equal violence" down everyone's throat on that city. There are better ways and much proper times to say the same, and the fact that they picked such a sensitive time tells me something bad about their management.

Manson could have done the same and refuse to budge because "rock and roll not equal violence" yet he didn't. That tells me something good about his character.

Rocket Edge
01-01-2007, 06:26 PM
He's certainly got great intelligence & talent, but his music isn't to my taste. That doesn't stop me from respecting the guy though, i heard a few interviews with him and he's really not afraid to speak his mind, & with that has got something meaningful & interesting to say aswell.

Roto13
01-01-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm not a fan. Shock rock isn't really my thing, not that he's shocking any more anyway. Things stop being shocking once you've seen them a hundred times. Take Goatse, for example. :P

Novaris
01-01-2007, 06:48 PM
In my opinion, he sucks as a musician. He seems to be a real intelligent and thoughtful guy, I'll say this, he's like a more theatrical version of Alice Cooper except his music sucks more in my opinion. Cooper ftw

Leeza
01-01-2007, 07:16 PM
I listen to him at work.
Do you wear headphones or do have a soundproof office? :)

I have to keep on the conservative side with what I listen to at work.

BRIAN WARNER~
Didn't he legally change his name to Marilyn Manson? I thought I read somewhere that he did. Of course you can't believe everything that you read on the internet. :)

Zeldy
01-01-2007, 07:23 PM
I like a few songs by him, like Personal Jesus, Tainted Love & MObscene. I havnt actually heard anymore, but Id probably like them.

Not my favourite though.

theundeadhero
01-01-2007, 08:04 PM
I've been listening to Marilyn Manson for a very long time. Portrait has always been one of my favorite CDs, and when it comes to heavy music Anti-Christ Superstar has more to it than most other heavy CDs. I really enjoy Mechanical Animals. To me it's always been like a Manson makes a Pink Floyd album. Holy Wood is a very intelligent and thought provoking CD. Very mellow. I've never liked much of Grotesque. It was like Manson was experimenting with music to see if the rest of the music scene would imitate. It failed. When Manson does a cover song, he doesn't just copy a song to his own personal tastes, he transforms the song and makes it his own. Sweet Dreams, Tainted Love, and The KKK Took My Baby Away are all amazing.

I've seen the band in concert three times. In 2000, when he had his Halloween Bash in St. Louis for the Holy Wood tour. In 2001, when he played at Ozzfest. Then in 2003, the first time he was ever allowed to play in Korea. I don't know if he has again since.

Leeza, I never heard anything about a legal name change, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Roto13
01-01-2007, 08:13 PM
BRIAN WARNER~
Didn't he legally change his name to Marilyn Manson? I thought I read somewhere that he did. Of course you can't believe everything that you read on the internet. :)
Especially about him. :P

Darth Anarcus
01-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Ditto on Mechanical Animals. It's my favorite album. (Unless you count Lest We Forget, in which case that would be my favorite album.) After that I guess it would be Antichrist Superstar followed by Holy Wood.

I was a bit displeased with what didn't make it onto Lest We Forget: The Best of Marilyn Manson. I've burnt a second CD which I call "So We Did Forget: The Best of Marilyn Manson volume 2." Here is the playlist:

1. Antichrist Superstar
2. This is Halloween
3. Great Big White World
4. I Don't Like the Drugs (But the Drugs Like Me)
5. Redeemer
6. 1996
7. The Last Day on Earth
8. Burning Flag
9. Apple of Sodom
10. Man That You Fear
11. My Monkey
12. Dope Hat
13. Coma White
14. Astonishing Panorama of the Endtimes
15. Highway to Hell
16. Doll-Dagga-Buzz-Buzz-Ziggety-Zag
17. The Death Song

Unfortunately, my burnable CDs can only hold seventeen tracks, so I had to cut out the fat, namely Cake and Sodomy, Use Your First and Not Your Mouth, and Angel With the Scabbed Wings.:(

Leeza
01-01-2007, 09:03 PM
All of Manson's CDs are good, but my best ones are the ones that I burn myself as well, Darth Anarcus. The Best of the Best. :)

Polaris
01-01-2007, 09:49 PM
I never really payed much attention to his work or t him! I look at him and give me chills! But I'd like to start now to her his music... perhpas coz I was too obssessed with Keane and now I started to listen more often other bands like Metallica! :rolleyes2 but I may ned up enjoying it or not! Now he's just an unknown musican for me!

Moon Rabbits
01-01-2007, 10:26 PM
I liked his music better when John 5 was with him.

True. Although he's still good now. I guess I can't complain that he doesn't "have the same feel" he did when he started, cuz he changed with every album. I definitely like the character/look/sound he had for GAOG, but it wasn't his best. :tongue:

Also, Lest We Forget was lame :( It was his singles mostly, not really his best stuff. He should've released a singles compilation and a Best Of.

Mechanical Animals is an amazing album. I absolutely love Coma White.

That's my favourite Manson album for sure. Although my favourite song is Tourniquet, off of the album prior to MA.

Manson is my favourite artist, of course. :) I love his music, he is very intelligent as Sephex has stated and he's awesome with his watercolours...even though it's stuff that I would not really want to see on my walls, except for Lily White, Aliester and Greta. I love Lily White! I wish I could afford to buy a print. :cat:

He's my favorite artist too, even though I rarely listen to him anymore. He was the first real band/artist I listened to as a fan, so he holds a special place in my music collection, even if it has moved drastically away from the metal/garagband/glamrock/goth/hard + more sound that Manson is.

And yes, his watercolours are very amazing sometimes (other times they're underwhelming to me).

LunarWeaver
01-01-2007, 10:46 PM
1. Antichrist Superstar
2. This is Halloween
3. Great Big White World
5. Redeemer
6. 1996
7. The Last Day on Earth
8. Burning Flag
9. Apple of Sodom
10. Man That You Fear
11. My Monkey
12. Dope Hat
13. Coma White
15. Highway to Hell
17. The Death Song

Thanks, I'm going to use this as a "songs to get" template now :jess:. I don't have much of his stuff...I feel motivated to get more now.

Leeza
01-01-2007, 11:57 PM
1. Antichrist Superstar
2. This is Halloween
3. Great Big White World
5. Redeemer
6. 1996
7. The Last Day on Earth
8. Burning Flag
9. Apple of Sodom
10. Man That You Fear
11. My Monkey
12. Dope Hat
13. Coma White
15. Highway to Hell
17. The Death Song

Thanks, I'm going to use this as a "songs to get" template now :jess:. I don't have much of his stuff...I feel motivated to get more now.

That's a good list of songs, but if you are just starting out with MM then I would recommend <i>Lest We Forget</i> because it does cover most of his bigger hits and is quite comprehensive. :)

fantasyjunkie
01-02-2007, 12:00 AM
I don't have any opinion for him one way or the other. Mainly indifference.

Dr Unne
01-02-2007, 12:07 AM
I listen to him at work.
Do you wear headphones or do have a soundproof office? :)

I have to keep on the conservative side with what I listen to at work.

I have headphones. I have the Manson pin you gave me on my pack I carry to work though. People are pretty liberal at work compared to most places probably.

Peegee
01-02-2007, 09:58 AM
There was a time when I would use the word 'unique' about him, but either he's been around too long or too many copycats has diluted his style.

Now he's just a fond memory. Nothing too great or too little.

Kinda sorta like PG and ICP.

robfinalfantasy
01-03-2007, 01:38 AM
For a rock band he releases some pretty good music, but I usually prefer heavy metal since it is way more riff-oriented.

Nominus Experse
01-03-2007, 04:33 AM
I enjoy his earlier work, and most notably Mechanical Animals and Antichrist Superstar. From there, he seemed to travel a tangent I was less inclined to follow, though there are some particular songs that scream attention and enjoyment.

Now, I just wish he would fucking make music again, rather than play around with Celebratinism and the like. Although intelligent, he is recognized first as a musician, and as such, I believe it is right of us, the fans, to have want of another album rather than a movie or philosphy.

Warrior Yuna
01-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Marilyn Manson isn't crazy. He's a very intelligent guy. He's just a little out there sometimes.

As for his music, I'm not a big fan, but I do like a few songs.

Jess
01-03-2007, 02:50 PM
I enjoy his music, but he isn't my favourite. I also saw him on the Jonathan Ross show once, and he seemed like a really nice man!