PDA

View Full Version : Job Points Question

louckster
01-01-2007, 12:11 AM
I've searched all over the web and can't for the life of me find the answer I'm looking for.

How does J/P really work? Do I get JP for attacking with the class? Like if I was a knight and attacked I would JP for that class? If so then if I use Black Magic while a Knight would the JP go to the black magic class?

Sorry if this sounds dumb. lmao. Thanks for helping me out.

vorpal blade
01-01-2007, 10:05 AM
You get JP for every successful useful action (missing=0jp, cure on someone who already has full HP=0jp, hitting=jp, etc). The JP gained goes to your current job, regardless of the action (if a knight casts fire successfully, the knight class gets jp, not the BM).

feioncastor
01-01-2007, 01:40 PM
I've searched all over the web and can't for the life of me find the answer I'm looking for.

How does J/P really work? Do I get JP for attacking with the class? Like if I was a knight and attacked I would JP for that class? If so then if I use Black Magic while a Knight would the JP go to the black magic class?

You get JP for whatever class you are. Let's say that you're a Chemist with "Basic Skill" as your secondary ability. Even if you use "Basic Skill", the gained JP will be applied to the Chemist job class because you were a chemist when you recieved the JP.

Now, you also get a small amount of JP for your teammates gaining JP in their job classes. If you have a teammate who is a Monk and you are a Chemist yourself, you will recieve a small amount of JP for the Monk job class if your Monk gains any JP.

An interesting trick to get a few quick JP to buy a skill you really need:

Enter a battle with a character as the job class that contains the skill you're trying to get, but give that character "Basic Skill" as their secondary ability. Proceed in the fight as normal, except do not kill the last enemy. Just incapacitate him with Speed Break and Power Break, or Sleep or Stop. Anything to make the enemy unable to kill your party. Foxbird also works great. Once you've gotten only one enemy left and you've made him super weak and unable to kill you, then you go to the character who needs JP and have him use the Basic Skill "Accumulate". All it does is raises your physical attack by 1, but you get 10 exp and some JP for using it. Just continue using "Accumulate" every turn until you've gotten all the JP you need. You can make this trick easier by having a Time Mage cast "Haste" on the person Accumulating so that s/he gets more turns, thus gets more JP. You can also find ways to make the rest of your party gain JP, too. You can have them attack one another and then heal one another. You can have them also accumulate, if you have someone who can use it. You can have mages and weak physical guys attack the last enemy, since mages won't be accidently killing the enemy with a critical hit.

Just remember that every succesful "Act" command will yield JP. Whether you attack, Accumulate, cast "Bolt 2", or use an X-Potion. You'll get JP for each one.

Another important thing is that you won't get Exp or JP for using a potion on someone who already has full health. But if the target is missing even just 1 HP, you'll get the same amount of Exp and JP as you would if the target was missing 300 HP.

And finally, a few notes. "Accumulate" is a Squire ability that costs 300 JP, so it's kinda tricky to get, early on. Another important skill is the Squire support skill "Gained JP Up". It only costs 200 JP, but greatly increases the amount of JP you get for a successful action. It's a must-have when trying to learn skills or master job classes, however, you gotta remember to replace it with something more combat oriented if you're going into a real battle. Also, you shouldn't give your party reaction abilities like "Counter" because you could end up accidently killing the last enemy too soon, thus ending the fight and then you have to try it again. Instead, give them Auto Potion, Weapon Guard, or something defensive like that.

I used this method to master EVERY job class for Ramza and the first four generics I got at the beginning. But I wouldn't abuse this technique if this is your first run through FFT. The challenge of various fights is what makes the game so awesome. When you lose a fight and have to go back in and actually strategize, that's awesome.

Anyway, good luck to ya. FFT is my favorite game ever, and I know you'll love it too. Let us know if you need any other questions answered. Chances are, you'll being wondering more about the storyline than the gameplay within no time.

louckster
01-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Thank you! This is very useful. And thanks to the above person as well for the information.

You get JP for whatever class you are. Let's say that you're a Chemist with "Basic Skill" as your secondary ability. Even if you use "Basic Skill", the gained JP will be applied to the Chemist job class because you were a chemist when you recieved the JP.

Now, you also get a small amount of JP for your teammates gaining JP in their job classes. If you have a teammate who is a Monk and you are a Chemist yourself, you will recieve a small amount of JP for the Monk job class if your Monk gains any JP.

An interesting trick to get a few quick JP to buy a skill you really need:

Enter a battle with a character as the job class that contains the skill you're trying to get, but give that character "Basic Skill" as their secondary ability. Proceed in the fight as normal, except do not kill the last enemy. Just incapacitate him with Speed Break and Power Break, or Sleep or Stop. Anything to make the enemy unable to kill your party. Foxbird also works great. Once you've gotten only one enemy left and you've made him super weak and unable to kill you, then you go to the character who needs JP and have him use the Basic Skill "Accumulate". All it does is raises your physical attack by 1, but you get 10 exp and some JP for using it. Just continue using "Accumulate" every turn until you've gotten all the JP you need. You can make this trick easier by having a Time Mage cast "Haste" on the person Accumulating so that s/he gets more turns, thus gets more JP. You can also find ways to make the rest of your party gain JP, too. You can have them attack one another and then heal one another. You can have them also accumulate, if you have someone who can use it. You can have mages and weak physical guys attack the last enemy, since mages won't be accidently killing the enemy with a critical hit.

Just remember that every succesful "Act" command will yield JP. Whether you attack, Accumulate, cast "Bolt 2", or use an X-Potion. You'll get JP for each one.

Another important thing is that you won't get Exp or JP for using a potion on someone who already has full health. But if the target is missing even just 1 HP, you'll get the same amount of Exp and JP as you would if the target was missing 300 HP.

And finally, a few notes. "Accumulate" is a Squire ability that costs 300 JP, so it's kinda tricky to get, early on. Another important skill is the Squire support skill "Gained JP Up". It only costs 200 JP, but greatly increases the amount of JP you get for a successful action. It's a must-have when trying to learn skills or master job classes, however, you gotta remember to replace it with something more combat oriented if you're going into a real battle. Also, you shouldn't give your party reaction abilities like "Counter" because you could end up accidently killing the last enemy too soon, thus ending the fight and then you have to try it again. Instead, give them Auto Potion, Weapon Guard, or something defensive like that.

I used this method to master EVERY job class for Ramza and the first four generics I got at the beginning. But I wouldn't abuse this technique if this is your first run through FFT. The challenge of various fights is what makes the game so awesome. When you lose a fight and have to go back in and actually strategize, that's awesome.

Anyway, good luck to ya. FFT is my favorite game ever, and I know you'll love it too. Let us know if you need any other questions answered. Chances are, you'll being wondering more about the storyline than the gameplay within no time.