PDA

View Full Version : Do they really look THAT female?

Dragon Mage
01-01-2007, 05:07 AM
I was watching AC one (late)night when my grandma, whose visiting for the holidays, came out and sat down. She said she couldn't sleep and I'm like "ok, that's fine." and continued to watch. My mother was also there but i forgot why she was up. Anyways. After watching the movie (beginning fight) my grandmother asked "what is it, two sisters that are fighting?"

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I was completley bowled over. It was obvious to me that they weren't women. Do they actually look that feminine?!

Zeromus_X
01-01-2007, 05:09 AM
Well, to someone who isn't used to somewhat feminine character designs in Japanese anime/video games/what-have-you, they would probably look very feminine.

KasaiDraco
01-01-2007, 05:09 AM
Definately.

Dragon Mage
01-01-2007, 06:17 AM
They always looked very male to me.

Dang! I was showing a friend of a friend the caption thread and when she saw a pic of Cloud she asked, "Is that a woman?" Man, this is just plain creepy. They never looked that feminine to me!

Jessweeee♪
01-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Me either, but I was playing FFVII and had my menu open, and my grandma comes in and says, "oh, that's a pretty girl."
I just looked at her funny and said it was a guy, then explained to her about feminine Japanese character designs.

Araciel
01-01-2007, 03:47 PM
i think VERY male is kinda wrong...they are pretty effeminite looking by my standards

KasaiDraco
01-01-2007, 04:50 PM
When I play these games with those feminine young men, i always sarcasticly say that they are pretty ladies. I think the feminine character design is funny.

Ashley Schovitz
01-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Cloud doesn't look anything like a girl to me, Kadaj on the other hand, yes!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Yazoo would get me for a girl if I wasn't used to the Japanese animation.

Kanshisha
01-02-2007, 08:49 AM
no offence but you need to say to your grandma " oi nan you need to clean your glasses" remember this is just a joke nothing serious

vorpal blade
01-02-2007, 10:40 AM
I can kinda see that mistake, but I'm used to seeing cioud as a guy (escpet for that breif cross-dressing he did back at the Wall Market).

Mirage
01-02-2007, 03:00 PM
I thought Kadaj was a girl. I found it rather easy to tell that the two other white haired guys were guys though.

Kita
01-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Kadaj looks feminine, so does Yazoo kinda.
Cloud doesnt at all to me.
He never did..

chocobo hunter
01-02-2007, 07:07 PM
I think that most of them really do look feminine, the only characters that don't look feminine are Loz and Barret. Because of them being tough guy types there the only ones that you can tell for sure that there male by just looking at them. Especially if you haven't played Final Fantasy 7.

chrisfffan
01-02-2007, 07:35 PM
i hate it when they make man characters feminine tidus out of X was possible the best example of this for me he destroyed the game! and in metal gear solid 2 sons of liberty that Radian guy another stupid bimbo ha ha

Dragon Mage
01-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Hmmm. Well, exactly how do they look femininate? K+Y; I could understand if you mistook them for women. But the others? No. So please someone help me out here. I'm still confuzzled as to how someone could mistake cloud for a girl!

Kanshisha
01-02-2007, 10:51 PM
well she probly don't understand the point of the movie

Dragon Mage
01-02-2007, 11:11 PM
yeah, so? doesn't have anything to do with how they looked.

no offence but you need to say to your grandma " oi nan you need to clean your glasses" remember this is just a joke nothing serious

I wouldn't be surprised if that helped, actually.

vorpal blade
01-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Before the movie came o0ut, back when all I had were images from magazines and such in Japanese, i thought one of the three clones was a girl. Mind you, I translated ローズ as Rose, so I was looking for a girl, but the pictures didn't do much to contradict me.

Sefie1999AD
01-09-2007, 01:12 AM
I think only Yazoo somewhat looked like a girl in FFVII AC. Other than him, the only female looking characters in the movie were Tifa, Yuffie, Aeris, Marlene, Elena and the girl who was dragging Denzel to Kadaj's gang.

Dr. Acula
01-10-2007, 08:30 AM
As feminine as some of them look, I didn't actually think Yazoo was a girl at all (but I thought Kadaj was at first). But seriously, Cloud looks nothing like a girl! And I'm one of those people who isn't used to the character designs! (Let's ignore the fact I already knew Cloud was a guy, from, y'know, playing FF7 and all...)

Jess
01-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Although some of them look quite feminine I wouldn't confuse them to be female. :jess:

Pirate_Moogle
01-11-2007, 02:15 AM
Ah, yes. They do look kind of girlish, but we still love them.

Sometimes, my school friends tease me for being a Sephiroth/Kadaj fan. Mean, aren't they? =[

kikimm
01-14-2007, 03:41 AM
Yeah. While they aren't real manly-looking, even if you put tem in a dress I probably wouldn't think they were female. They're masculine enough to tell that they are male, I think.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
01-16-2007, 09:41 PM
They could do with a haircut. Or maybe they want to look like women. You know, the female of the species is more deadly than the male

TheSpoonyBard
01-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Yeah. While they aren't real manly-looking, even if you put tem in a dress I probably wouldn't think they were female. They're masculine enough to tell that they are male, I think.
I wouldn't be too sure about that (http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/xendlesstwilightx/FFVIIgirls.jpg).

Riana
01-16-2007, 10:26 PM
I never had problems telling between genders in Japanese anime/manga.

Baring in mind people. The designers/programmers were all (well almost all of them) male. Maybe they did it for a reason?

Kanshisha
01-17-2007, 02:09 AM
Yes they prob did... to confuse old people...

Mercen-X
01-23-2007, 10:40 PM
I was completley bowled over. It was obvious to me that they weren't women. Do they actually look that feminine?!

If your grandmother is deaf or hard of hearing or you were watching in Japanese, then I can understand.

Dragon Mage
01-24-2007, 12:08 AM
No, my grandma is not deaf or hard of hearing and I don't know Japanese, so i wouldn't be watching it in Japanese. Honestly, they clearly said 'brother' many times. How'd she translate that into female? Sorry. I'm just a little shocked you might say.

Odaisé Gaelach
01-24-2007, 02:25 AM
I think that Kadaj and Yazoo both do look feminine, especially with the really straight, silky hair.

Mercen-X
01-26-2007, 07:25 PM
No, my grandma is not deaf or hard of hearing and I don't know Japanese, so i wouldn't be watching it in Japanese. Honestly, they clearly said 'brother' many times. How'd she translate that into female? Sorry. I'm just a little shocked you might say.

I guess she just thought they were the kind of girls with deeper voices who try to act like men and call each other bro. GOD!!! It's no wonder! Chicks need to act like chicks. Stop confusing the senior citizens you damned FREAKS!!

DarkLadyNyara
02-02-2007, 06:34 AM
Actually, at a glance, Cloud is somewhat effeminate. Granted, I would never mistake him for a girl, but then, I'm familiar with FF in general.

Nifleheim7
02-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Kadaj looks feminine, so does Yazoo.
Cloud doesnt at all to me.

Mercen-X
02-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Honestly. It really doesn't matter what your grandmother may have thought. She's a grandmother. She's old and that means old-fashioned. Seeing the way people are today is confusing. Like I mentioned earlier, cross-dressing isn't as big a deal as once was so seeing a girl with short hair and a deep voice and guys clothes wouldn't anything amazing.

It's an honest mistake. Or at least I'll convince of that for the time being.

DM_Melkhar
02-13-2007, 10:02 PM
i hate it when they make man characters feminine tidus out of X was possible the best example of this for me he destroyed the game! and in metal gear solid 2 sons of liberty that Radian guy another stupid bimbo ha ha
Please don't forget Kuja in FFIX! I'm a woman in real life, and I like men to have a masculine figure. Kuja was a bit messed up I think. Oh yeah! Those of you who've got past the Terra part of the game will understand the nature of his being. I think something went wrong. I mean the guy has an effeminate man's face and a woman's body! *shakes head.*

And I found Raidan rather good looking if you ask me. Though I hated him when I found he'd got Rose knocked up. He's really not a father figure at all and he looks far too young and inexperienced. You know what I mean right? I'd look at Snake as more of a father figure than Raidan.

Dragon Mage
02-14-2007, 02:44 AM
I guess she just thought they were the kind of girls with deeper voices who try to act like men and call each other bro. GOD!!! It's no wonder! Chicks need to act like chicks. Stop confusing the senior citizens you damned FREAKS!!

honestly, i don't know what the heck she was thinking. She was probably confused over the fact that what she saw was different from what she heard, thus why she asked the question.

But it is true, the effeminate look is 'in' for men. And some of them do look pretty darn female lookin'. But still, in this case, the jump was just to big to mistake Cloud for a girl. geez, it sounds like some kind of dumb joke. 'Cloud is a girl!' It's as bad as 'Raistlin is a girl!'.

oh god.

BarelySeeAtAll
02-14-2007, 06:41 PM
hmph...only the girls look like girls...yazoo is always having the mickey taken out of him by anyone i happen to show him to...its so mean

Aerisfanatic
02-28-2007, 03:17 PM
No, my grandma is not deaf or hard of hearing and I don't know Japanese, so i wouldn't be watching it in Japanese. Honestly, they clearly said 'brother' many times. How'd she translate that into female? Sorry. I'm just a little shocked you might say. they never actually called eachother brother they called cloud brother and as for your question kudaj and azzu lokk a bit female but not completley, loz didnt look female to me

Fynn
02-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Well, not with all the facial hair, he wouldn't! Anyway, I honestly thought Yazoo was a girl... Later I saw the movie and then I thought he looked like a drag queen... Man... The whole Sephiroth clone trio seems to be taken out from some sort of yaoi comic, IMO...

Darius
02-28-2007, 08:38 PM
RedXThirteen looks like he was neutered. Does that count as being semi-feminine too? I mean, even though hes not technically a MAN, his dominate 'male canine' feature isnt there. Not that I look *cough cough* or anything...

Dragon Mage
03-01-2007, 02:51 AM
XD

they never actually called eachother brother they called cloud brother

Well yeah, that's why she thought that they were 'sisters' fighting each other. one of the wonder brothers called cloud 'brother'.

xtrava
03-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Well, to someone who isn't used to somewhat feminine character designs in Japanese anime/video games/what-have-you, they would probably look very feminine.

Exactly.

As I said in a post about how Larsa in FFXII looks like a girl, I was saying how Japanese character design often features males which are made "beautiful" rather than manly/handsome etc...Especially when the character is evil.

When watching AC with a friend of mine (who while likes Asian culture the same as me, isnt as accustomed with it as I am yet) at one point he had to ask whether he was seeing a boy or a girl. I wasnt too surprised and could easily understand why he might think that, and why your mother etc might think the same.

They always looked very male to me.

I'd be seriously worried if you think they look VERY male...

No, my grandma is not deaf or hard of hearing and I don't know Japanese, so i wouldn't be watching it in Japanese.

Wow...Way to ruin the movie by not watching it with the original Japanese speech :rolleyes2

Whats so hard about reading subtitles? I go to see an asian movie here in England and I'm literally disgusted when a few minutes into the movie countless ignorant xenophobic idiots walk out once they realise its not dubbed in English...

Japanese voices will always be far superior to dodgy English/American dubbing, just like something made in England or America would sound bad with a foreign language dubbing.

Is reading really that difficult? :)

CloudySky
03-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Kadaj does really look somewhat feminine sometimes and I don't mean looks, I would never have thought he's a girl, if not his behavior and moves what makes me think he acts not like a man, but I think it was intention of creators. He does have "dual" personality.
As for Cloud, you people gotta be kidding, he looks masculine all the way! Don't see how you can mistake him for girl really...

Dragon Mage
03-21-2007, 01:35 AM
I'd be seriously worried if you think they look VERY male...

lol, no, I already said that they are effeminate looking, but not so much as to mistake them for women.

Wow...Way to ruin the movie by not watching it with the original Japanese speech

Whats so hard about reading subtitles? I go to see an asian movie here in England and I'm literally disgusted when a few minutes into the movie countless ignorant xenophobic idiots walk out once they realise its not dubbed in English...

Japanese voices will always be far superior to dodgy English/American dubbing, just like something made in England or America would sound bad with a foreign language dubbing.

Is reading really that difficult?

Dude, don't go there. K? Don't. You see, this in not the thread for this disscussion. Please feel free to make your own thread on the topic. But to reply, and finally end this topic, I find that it takes longer to get used to the Japanese voices as the language is so much radically different from English. Spanish; I get used to it, no prob. Japanese; takes a while.
2nd, I for one, wanted to hear the characters speak in a language I know. It's somewhat of a big moment, considering that in the game, they're all, obviously, mute. So, with the astounding graphics, and the revelation of hearing their voice, I didn't want to ruin it by listening to it in a foregin language that I know only a handful of words from.
3rd, I also did hear it in Japanese and I didn't like the voices as much as I did in the English version. or rather, the voices in the english version fit my idea of what they would sound like much better. K? k.
4th, (on a roll here) it may be your opinion that Japanese voices and whatnot are better, but to address your accusation of 'dodgy' translation: The japanese lingo is all about 'dodgy'. 'Tis true. Say something out right in Japan? Yeah. Sure. Somehow(though I don't believe this myself) "I want to meet you." means "be my boyfriend." Japanese is a dodgy thing all in itself. It's a pain to tranlate it into another language as well. But I do agree with you on the fact that anything with dubbing that has been translated will not sound as good as it would be in the original language. But it helps to know the language.

P.S. I love to read, do not question my reading skills, I read battelfield earth when I was 11, keep it up and my flying monkeys will come after you! Got it memorized?

The Mog Ninja
03-21-2007, 08:24 AM
No male characters look even slightly feminine to me. Probably because I look at their facial structure.

sirMAXX
03-25-2007, 03:46 AM
alot of opinions say they look like guys, but oh yeah they totally look like chicks, a little frighting but i mean come on. not to gay bash the movie but i noticed a little 'fruityness' in the male charaters.

anyone with me on that one?

Dragon Mage
03-25-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't think so

sirMAXX
03-26-2007, 12:46 AM
I hope you don't feel like we're pickin on you Dragon Mage, none-the-less in my point of view even if the male charaters in FFAC did or didn't. I guess someone could say that the movie looks so gorgeous it even makes the men look pretty. LOL!

LynetteCloudburst
12-31-2007, 10:14 PM
Cloud doesn't look anything like a girl to me, Kadaj on the other hand, yes!

lol i thot so too! kadaj seems to have a feminine figure in the movie my aunt thot it was a girl lol

LynetteCloudburst
12-31-2007, 10:16 PM
alot of opinions say they look like guys, but oh yeah they totally look like chicks, a little frighting but i mean come on. not to gay bash the movie but i noticed a little 'fruityness' in the male charaters.

anyone with me on that one?

well if u didn't k who they were or r not familiar wit the characters... im pretty sure u would think they were women lol

Leeza
01-01-2008, 02:42 AM
LynetteCloudburst, please do not revive threads that are this old and please do not post more than once in a row. Thank you. :cat: