PDA

View Full Version : Classic PS1 Game Re-releases

Spawn of Sephiroth
01-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Ok, I was watching Attack of the Show this morning on G4, when on the scrolling ticker on the bottom of the screen said that there was going to be many Playstation game re-releases, including Final Fantasy 7, Tomb Raider and Silent Hill. Yet I have went to their website and searched the net and can't find anything about it online.:cry: Did anyone else see this? If you know anything, please post.

Jowy
01-01-2007, 04:18 PM
It's probably a falsification.

Odaisé Gaelach
01-01-2007, 04:19 PM
I've heard rumours that some (including Final Fantasy VII) were going to be re-made for the PSP. But beyond that, I don't know anything.

Spawn of Sephiroth
01-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Well, I don't know why G4 would do false advertising, but all I know is what I read. It just made me curious but then the internet doesn't have anything about it anywhere.

Araciel
01-01-2007, 04:42 PM
maybe it was the ticker guy's last day and he decided to give people false hope

LunarWeaver
01-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Oh man, please re-release Silent Hill for me. I've played a friend's copy twice,but it's the only one I don't actually own :(. FFVII would be nice too. That thing is way too pricy for how old it is these days.

I dunno if this is true or not, but I'll certainly hope for the best :jess:.

Spawn of Sephiroth
01-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Oh man, please re-release Silent Hill for me. I've played a friend's copy twice,but it's the only one I don't actually own :(. FFVII would be nice too. That thing is way too pricy for how old it is these days.

I dunno if this is true or not, but I'll certainly hope for the best :jess:.

Yeah, Silent Hill re-release would be great.

Dreddz
01-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Whats the point, no one will buy them, and no shop would sell them.

Polnareff
01-01-2007, 06:08 PM
I haven't seen this particular episode but I think they were talking about the PSP's download service (for which you need a PS3 as well). You see, you're supposed to be able to hook your PSP to a PS3 and download PS1 games from a service that the PS3 uses to play them on your PSP.

Right now, there are not too many games on the service yet (only one I can remember is Dino Crisis), but Sony rumored that all of the PS1 games (and that means ALL of them) will be downloadable from the service in the future, though that would take forever.

Shoeberto
01-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Is anyone else terribly depressed that game shops like EB and Gamestop are getting rid of their PS1 stock? Because I am.

LunarWeaver
01-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Is anyone else terribly depressed that game shops like EB and Gamestop are getting rid of their PS1 stock? Because I am.

Yes :cry:

I would buy them :jess:. I buy games online, but older ones that I want are rare and too expensive to justify it. I mean, they aren't Valkyrie Profile expensive most of the time, but still...

I did see a YouTube of someone playing FFVII on their PSP, so that's probably what they meant.

Avarice-ness
01-01-2007, 07:35 PM

Yes :cry:

I would buy them :jess:. I buy games online, but older ones that I want are rare and too expensive to justify it. I mean, they aren't Valkyrie Profile expensive most of the time, but still...

I did see a YouTube of someone playing FFVII on their PSP, so that's probably what they meant.

I was kind of sad when I realized they don't sell ps1 games anymore. I had got my third copy of FFAnthologies (I lost the first on an airplane the second got smashed) there after like 2 years of looking, and when I went to find Chronicals Gamestop didn't have anymore ps1 games. :(

I'd buy them, just because they're old doesn't mean they arn't good or worth it.

Maxico
01-01-2007, 07:56 PM
It's almost certainly in reference to the recent offical PS1 emulator for the PSP and the sale of PS1 games for download on the online Playstation store only accessable, for the time being, through a PS3.

Currently there are only 5 games offically available in America, on only one of those (The original Crash Bandicoot, which is a decent game) is without a better alternative native PSP game.

However, it's given that Sony will release more games for this service and I'm pretty sure they said they said the games should be downloadable through a PC based service.

Also, the latest firmwares have been hacked, and an alternative firmware with the browser and PS1 emulator of later firmwares and the homebrew capabilities of 1.50 has been made. Allowing the PSP to play ripped ISO's of PS1 games with generally perfect play back.

One or two titles have been reported to not work, but generally every NTSC PS1 title works perfectly. Final Fantasy VII is reported to play perfectly with the exception of artifacts around menu options.

So in essence, if Sony can get the rights to any of it's extensive back libary (and Tekken 2 being released seems to indicate that they are seeking third party games for release) then they can release it.

I'm assuming the ability to play these games on the PS3 will follow shortly.

Although I doubt that Final Fantasy will be available for download, simply due to it's massive file size. And I don't know how well the emulator would handle multiple discs.

Jessweeee♪
01-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Not a remake...a re-release.

I want my FFIX >=o
another copy of FFVIII wouldn't be bad either, mine freezes on a couple of FMVs if I play it on the ps1 (ps2 it works fine though).

Polnareff
01-01-2007, 09:20 PM

He meant that not a lot of people would buy them in comparison to PS2, GC, Xbox, 360, Wii games, etc, which is a true statement.

One of my local Gamestops still carries PS1 games but doesn't allow them to be traded in anymore, and all the PS1 games left are only 10 bucks or less. Here's the thing, though-- all the PS1 games that were at the store since last year have yet to be sold. And there's quite a few games that people would have spent a pretty penny on in the PS1 section (which is a giant bargain-bin like thing), too, like Xenogears and Rhapsody.

Slothy
01-01-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm assuming the ability to play these games on the PS3 will follow shortly.

I'm fairly certain Sony has said that they will make the games playable on the PS3 in the future. It would make sense since not every PS3 owner may have a PSP, and the system itself would be perfect for playing them on (especially games that used two analog sticks).

Although I doubt that Final Fantasy will be available for download, simply due to it's massive file size. And I don't know how well the emulator would handle multiple discs.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. If they can get the licensing rights to put them on there I think they'd do it. It would be easy enough to break the games up into multiple downloads, especially since they're divided up into discs already, to make things a little more manageable. The file size for a single disc would be comparable to the file size of the PS3 demos for Motorstorm, Gran Turismo, Formula 1, etc. which are all available for download in the playstation store right now. It would take up a few gigs of space in the end, but if you ever needed that room, you could always delete it from the hard drive. Sony's already said that people can re-download something they've bought through the playstation store at anytime.

Eiko Guy
01-01-2007, 10:37 PM
If they did this i would be happy except i remember this one time that i tried to download final fantasy VIII and it said disk 1-4 and on each disk their was about 400 mb of information im not that patient

Spawn of Sephiroth
01-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Well, all I know is it didn't say anything about downloading them, just re-releaseing them.

Slothy
01-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Well, all I know is it didn't say anything about downloading them, just re-releaseing them.

It might not have, but that's how Sony is doing it. They already have Crash Bandicoot, Cool Boarders, Syphon Filter, Medieval, and maybe some others on there to download.