PDA

View Full Version : Bows or Guns ?

Dreddz
01-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Whenever Ive talked to someone about this, they always choose guns, but I dont understand why. Admittedly, I stuck with Guns till I got to Phon Coast where I bought a Traitor Bow for Balthier and I never looked back.

They both have there pro's and con's but Im more fond of Bows.

Renmiri
01-01-2007, 07:06 PM
I am a bows kind of gal :D

LunarWeaver
01-01-2007, 07:13 PM
I used them both and found them both pretty useful. I'm very surprised at how balanced the weapons came out in the end. I thought they were going to be all over the place.

Hmm...I think I like guns better simply because they have 100% accuracy. Bows are better if you're going to do Hunts n' such until you can buy Cat Ear Hoods, though.

Dynast-Kid
01-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Hmm...I think I like guns better simply because they have 100% accuracy. Bows are better if you're going to do Hunts n' such until you can buy Cat Ear Hoods, though.

Mirage
01-02-2007, 01:14 AM
I like guns for armour piercing.

Ouch!
01-02-2007, 02:25 AM
I've never been able to equip Balthier with anything other than a gun. I can't help but see anything less as blasphemous. D=

farplaner
01-02-2007, 12:29 PM
"Armor piercing" just sounds nice rolling off the tongue for some reason. A word of advice, though, guns DON'T work well against Bomb type weapons.

But on the other hand, there are two types of bows:

"Bows & arrows" are fast weapons, "crossbows & bolt's" damage is regulated by defense. For some reason, in my experience, it seems that xbows are somewhat less accurate.

Shintogoru Yagasaki
01-02-2007, 09:00 PM
I've never used a gun, except the one Balthier has when you first get him. The guns that I have come across had too low of an attack rating for me; I use either a bow or a crossbow, depending on which has the higher attack rating.

Ouch!
01-02-2007, 10:14 PM
I believe guns ignore defense, so a lower attack doesn't make the damage considerably lower. Guns usually dish out bigger damage than bows. Not sure about the comparison to crossbows, though; I've never used one.

Renmiri
01-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Balthier looks better with a Katana IMHO. A gun makes him too "pruddy", too metrosexual ;)

robfinalfantasy
01-03-2007, 12:50 AM
I did always notice how guns always dealt about the same amount of damage as other weapons of their peer group despite their weak attack. Maybe they really do ignore defense.

farplaner
01-04-2007, 09:50 AM
I did always notice how guns always dealt about the same amount of damage as other weapons of their peer group despite their weak attack. Maybe they really do ignore defense.

Well, it says so right in the weapons section of traveller's tips...

guns deal really good damage on most enemies- as much as axes/ hammers against the right enemies with the right ammo equipped.

tidus_rox
01-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Why is guns attack power so low? I use bows, people!

Drex
01-04-2007, 07:12 PM
I kept with the traditional gun on Balthier and bow on Fran. My gun with 'low attack power' and its defense piercing does more damage than any of my other characters except for a Bravery-ed Vaan 5 levels higher. I have Assassin Arrows on Fran, so about 25% of the time she insta-kills. Obviously every weapon has its strong point - poles chain attacks better, for example.

Bunny
01-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Crossbow.

Cruise Control
01-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Bows, on Vaan. He's fast, give him a fast weapon, and he's faster. A ranged fast weapon if amazing.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-04-2007, 08:00 PM
In spite of guns ignoring defense, I tend to steer away from them with Balthier. I use them against flying enemies and until I can get a pole. Personally, bows may be less accurate of the two, but I find guns are slow weapons compared to normal, non-fast weapons. Plus, I always loved archery.

Freya Coral
01-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Balthier looks better with a Katana IMHO. A gun makes him too "pruddy", too metrosexual ;)

Balthier is a metrosexual with any weapon equipped. :D That's not a bad thing though, as he's a cool character.

farplaner
01-05-2007, 09:22 AM

....I can only shake my head. Why is peoples reading so low?

come on, I'm not the only one here who's bitter, right?

where's my peeps!? :D

Drex
01-05-2007, 03:22 PM
I mostly want to hit people who don't read other replies that directly address the questions they ask, yes.

Mr. Lawl
01-05-2007, 04:08 PM
As of now, I'm using a bow with Fran, but I've read on GameFAQs that Balthier and Fran are the worste choices for guns and bows, respectively.

yojimbosoul
01-05-2007, 07:52 PM
i dono about that, but weapons are supposed to affect the ammount of stats you gain for every level, along with the defaut lv up bonuses.

i pefer guns and lances. telekenesis is good too.

Drex
01-05-2007, 08:15 PM
The problem with Telekinesis is that it takes longer to 'power up' or whatever. I only use Telekinesis against flying enemies; if I want to do ranged damage on a regular basis, I'll just use a ranged weapon.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-05-2007, 08:33 PM

He might look better but not the best choice since a katana's damage is based on the wielder's magic power rather than strength. That is why I made katana my secondary weapon choice for Fran, though I have yet to use them.

I wonder why someone would say bows are bad for Fran? I was under the impression that she was one of the faster characters in the game, thus making bows more suitable since their damage has a basis in speed. I know they have poor accuracy, but still they are a fast weapon.

Drex
01-05-2007, 09:31 PM
I was looking over the speed of each of my characters, and Fran is definitely in the upper portion. Can't remember if she was the best - I think Balthier had a Mirage Vest on, so his stat wasn't accurate - but she was worth it. Plus now I've got the Cat Ear Hood on her.

Northcrest
01-05-2007, 09:48 PM
I prefer guns because they do massive damage plus they have a 100% accuracy! Right now my Baltheir has a gun and his on normal damage is about 500-600 and during critical 1,000-1,400. Which is my book from where I'm at in the game is alot of damage.

tidus_rox
01-05-2007, 09:52 PM

....I can only shake my head. Why is peoples reading so low?

come on, I'm not the only one here who's bitter, right?

where's my peeps!? :D

HAHA lol I have read everything on here, but I just wont use guns. Why, becuase its attack power is to low. It may ignore defence but... MMM... Its like those people who wont wear clothes under 100$... Being at the Feywood I wont use weapons with attack power lower than 70...

Drex
01-06-2007, 12:08 AM
I would judge a weapon based on damage inflicted, not on attack power. Attack power is meaningless if it comes down to that, in my estimation. Just like a person who won't wear clothes under $100 yet doesn't search out quality, it just doesn't make any sense.

Ouch!
01-06-2007, 01:14 AM
The point is that your selection of weapons and prejudice against guns based on your demand for high attack power is based solely in your refusal to face a fact that discredits your reasoning. I agree with Drex; if you suffer from big number syndrome, at least use the damage dealt by the weapon as your guage and not the attack power.

Paladin229
01-06-2007, 02:52 AM
I like my bows personally :) They seem to become more powerful more quickly then bows as you progress through the first half of the game, so that's the way I've gone as I've played.

tidus_rox
01-06-2007, 03:56 AM
The point is that your selection of weapons and prejudice against guns based on your demand for high attack power is based solely in your refusal to face a fact that discredits your reasoning. I agree with Drex; if you suffer from big number syndrome, at least use the damage dealt by the weapon as your guage and not the attack power.

MMM I bought a gun... Its fine and I like it! I equipted it to Baltheir and he is cool. Thanks for the recomendation!

salle
01-17-2007, 04:14 AM
Hmm bow with that cat ear thing, got Penelo up to 97 in speed so she does nice damage with it and she has got some assasin (KO) arrows to boot.

Havn't used a gun for Balthier for soo long, he always did more damage with his pole. But if I can ever get my hands on the best gun I might change that.

Demon in Shades of Gray
01-19-2007, 08:12 AM
My Balthier uses guns and Fran uses bows.

Haven't had any trouble, yet. Fran's the faster of the two, but Balthier hits more often. Both do about the same damage, right now...

MADTJ
01-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Right now i got all girls in party, i don't use other 3 boys tho, i have Ashe on gun, Fran on Bow, and Penelo with handaxe - i use both Fran AND Penelo for to steal, since Ashe with gun, she never miss, so i set like that for fran and penelo, foe=100% steal, and ashe foe=100% attack, i have million of gil because i steal every one from foe - if penelo steal but miss, fran steal a rainbow egg or w/e.

also, i think it's best to set whoever have gun as main party leader - so all party can hit one foe @ same time (gambit for steal off)

BustaMo
01-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Eh, I'm not to big of a "gun fan" when it comes to "Fantasy" games. I mean I like the occasional gun character as in Vincent in FFVII, and Squall's gunblade in VIII, but DoC that cae out last summer was not to interesting for me gameplay wise since it was the only weapon that was usuable. Granted it was an action RPG, but I prefer my swords and katanas too much for a Final Fantasy game.

Wow, maybe I should just answer the question I guess.

Bows. I loved equipping it to Fran since it seemed like her natural weapon, but once I got Telekinesis, it seemed more reasonable to go with the stronger weapons such as Zodiac Spear, Excalibur, and Masamune.