PDA

View Full Version : Dreamgirls

Shiny
01-02-2007, 03:44 AM
I went to go see this movie recently and I must say it was quite good. It got mixed reviews from some people who said it lagged in certain places, but others thought it always had something to entertain people. Despite the fact that well-known comedians, Jamie Foxx and Eddie Murphy starred in it, it wasn't that funny. It's more so directed towards an audience who likes musicals and drama; and believe me it has alot of it. The highlight of the movie was perhaps when the character, Effie (played by Jennifer Hudson) performed her rendition of the song "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going". Most of the movie-goers were clapping ecstatically at her amazing performance. The movie has some seemingly random songs here and there; which I found off-putting, but hey it is a musical. People who are not used to Eddie Murphy's singing will be pleased to hear that he has a great voice. As for Jamie Foxx, I found him to be a little campy at times with his facial expressions. Also, Beyonce's performance was as I expected. Her acting was alright, but I felt her to be more natural when she was singing. That's just my :twocents:. Did anyone else see this movie and care to comment?

Dynast-Kid
01-03-2007, 12:01 AM
I wanna see the movie. It looks good. Does Beyonce go on a huge ego trip? That's what I sensed from the trailers.

theundeadhero
01-03-2007, 12:10 AM
I've never heard anything about this movie, but everytime I see a poster for it I think it's something like the movie Showgirls. Obviously I am wrong.

Elite Lord Sigma
01-03-2007, 01:25 AM
Every time I hear about this movie, I get it confused with Material Girls (which by most accounts is a piece of crap).

Tempest
01-03-2007, 06:18 PM
I saw the movie last Saturday and was quite surprised. It was a pretty good movie and the movie goers were clapping and cheering too during and after Effie sung "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going". Jennifer Hudson has a wonderful voice and I loved the ending of it. Anyone who likes musicals should check it out.

Shiny
01-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Does Beyonce go on a huge ego trip? That's what I sensed from the trailers.
Not necessarily. Its Jamie Foxx's character, Curtis, that persuades (or rather forces) her to become the focus of the group, Dreamgirls. She ends up getting all of the attention (much to the dismay of Effie), but doesn't want it. The rest you'll just have to see for yourself. ;)